As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sam will kill him if he tries anything [Consenting Hobbits Again]

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Oh yeah the Hobbit was good.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hey guys I have an LOTR lore question

The Balrog and Shelob and stuff are demigods like the wizards right

what about dragons?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    any time anyone says american history x all i can think of is the edit where someone strung a bunch of scenes with inappropriate music stuck in and that one's is the mario death music
    http://youtu.be/nR78MEDevfE

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    No one really knows, Morgoth probably made them? They're probably uplifted beasts, I seem to recall Tolkien talking about other animals getting uplifted but I might be getting confused with C.S. Lewis. Hmm, I am 90% sure that was Lewis in Voyage to Perelandra not Tolkien.

I dunno?

It's weird because they are clearly intelligent yet Eru is meant to be the only one able to create sentient beings, thus the Orcs are corruptions, not creations. Because Morgoth cannot create life. But the dragons are a little trickier as they aren't a sentient (in a human sense) race. Talking or sentient animals in Middle Earth aren't uncommon, but I think they are not sentient in the same way that Elves and Men (and Dwarves) are.

So dragons would be highly intelligent animals corrupted to the service of Morgoth. That's my guess, but the real answer would be that, like Orcs, there is no answer.

ShelobUngoliant, parent of Shelob isn't a demi-god, she's some kind of chaos beasty.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Dragons are dragons, they were bred by Morgoth to be engines of destruction

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, Arda just says "Mighty reptilian creatures who ranked among the most feared of the servants of the Dark Lord. Of the origins of dragons, no tale tells; the first of them to be seen was Glaurung, Father of Dragons, who issued from Angband in the middle of the First Age."

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Glaurung is the best

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I just still love the Encyclopedia of Arda. That dude is crazy in a way that I can admire.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    No one really knows, Morgoth probably made them? They're probably uplifted beasts, I seem to recall Tolkien talking about other animals getting uplifted but I might be getting confused with C.S. Lewis. Hmm, I am 90% sure that was Lewis in Voyage to Perelandra not Tolkien.

I dunno?

It's weird because they are clearly intelligent yet Eru is meant to be the only one able to create sentient beings, thus the Orcs are corruptions, not creations. Because Morgoth cannot create life. But the dragons are a little trickier as they aren't a sentient (in a human sense) race. Talking or sentient animals in Middle Earth aren't uncommon, but I think they are not sentient in the same way that Elves and Men (and Dwarves) are.

So dragons would be highly intelligent animals corrupted to the service of Morgoth. That's my guess, but the real answer would be that, like Orcs, there is no answer.

ShelobUngoliant, parent of Shelob isn't a demi-god, she's some kind of chaos beasty.

Ungoliant was crazy pants. Snuffed out the trees in Valinor, turned on Morgoth and would have killed him if he hadn't summoned every single Balrog to save his ass, and mother to every giant ass spider in Middle Earth.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    When the "gods" created the world ungoliant was already there, chilling, eating everything, and weaving literal shadows

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Just saw this today, it was fantastic

Some decent character bits up front, competent setup, and then 90 minutes of insane bullshit

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    title should have been changed to The Dwarf, The Human, Three Elves and a Hobbit Too, I Guess

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    title should have been changed to The Dwarf, The Dwarf on the Pig, The Human, The Comic Relief Human, Three Elves and a Hobbit Too, I Guess

• Options
    I'm going to see all three Hobbit films in a row tomorrow. So I guess I'll know if I really like them in within 30 hours.

• Options
    Hey, hey!

The Rankin/Bass animated Hobbit movie still totally holds up.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Just watched 5 armies; it was a lot of fun. The bits of it that were The Hobbit were well done, even though there weren't many of those, and the action was entertaining due to not being the no-stakes mild peril of the second film. Also Alfred was a boss, my friends and I were all rooting for him.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Does it? It's got some neat scenes but as a whole movie does it really hold up?

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    So I enjoyed Five Armies but it was absolutely the weakest of the three
    Way too many action scenes and not enough focus on Thorin going nuts as i would have liked, could have had a way more satisfying epilogue and a little more of Beorn being a badass would have been welcome

It didn't have nearly as satisfying of an ending as either of the previous two(yes, including the cliffhanger of the last one) but i suppose being a prequel series makes that hard.

It felt like this movie had the right length but kept focusing on the wrong things, to me any way.

• Options
    Does it? It's got some neat scenes but as a whole movie does it really hold up?

Yeah, it does. I got it for christmas this year and watched it the other night. It's a little rushed, but it hits all the important stuff well, especially Golum and the riddles. And the soundtrack is still wonderful.

Plus it has that old fashioned Rankin/Bass animation style that I never get tired of.

I'm gonna watch the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings and the Rankin/Bass Return of the King later this week when my brother has time to sit down and watch them with me. I remember those two significantly less than The Hobbit.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Right, I have the opposite opinion of Rankin/Bass. It's got some good scenes but for me they are in spite of the animation style rather than because of it.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    the gre e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e a a a a a a a a a a a a aatest aaa a a a a a a a aa adventu u u u u u u u u u u u u u re e e e e e e e e e e

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I kid

I seriously love that movie so much

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My favorite parts of Five Armies was the mounts. Sweet ass boar mount, sure. Amazing killer stag mount, sign me up. Adorable fat little hopping ram mounts, give me ten right now!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I kid

I seriously love that movie so much

I own the DVD.

It's cheap and rushed, and super dated these days, but at least it doesn't waste any time with stupid bullshit.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    What's the deal with Gandalf?

Is Gandalf just holding back? Is he too afraid to go all out all the time or else he'll become corrupt? Is there a leash on Gandalf that prevents him on going all out?

Cause I thought the Wizards are like 'archangels' compare to Sauron 'seraphim'.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Wizards are Maiar, which is the same "level" as Sauron.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    As opposed to the Valar, among which ranked Morgoth/melkor.

I named a cat Melkor once, poor guy got really sick when he was 3 though :(

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    And to answer your question about why he "holds back", Middle Earth is not 'Nam. There are rules.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gandalf and the other wizards are under orders not to openly match Sauron's power with their own but to guide and advise the people of Middle-Earth to unite and defeat Sauron

The Valar had directly intervened several times in the past but it always went poorly for the people

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It has been a long time since I reread the silmarillion

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Illuvatar gets ivolved at one point, too, iirc. He was significantly less than thrilled at having to step in and clean up a mess.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Right, I have the opposite opinion of Rankin/Bass. It's got some good scenes but for me they are in spite of the animation style rather than because of it.

Yeah, I really like the movie but I hate the animation and art style. Which seems like a weird contradiction but it is what it is.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Alright starting in 20 mins, whoops. See you at the end.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Alright starting in 20 mins, whoops. See you at the end.

Fly, you fool.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Illuvatar gets ivolved at one point, too, iirc. He was significantly less than thrilled at having to step in and clean up a mess.

Making the world round instead of flat and submerging most of a continent definitely qualifies as "less than thrilled".

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Gandalf and the other wizards are under orders not to openly match Sauron's power with their own but to guide and advise the people of Middle-Earth to unite and defeat Sauron

The Valar had directly intervened several times in the past but it always went poorly for the people

And also just as an additional reason gandalf is explicitly the weakest in terms of power of all the Wizards. He is just also the wisest.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Let's not be so gauche as to discuss power levels, Jesse

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

And also just as an additional reason gandalf is explicitly the weakest in terms of power of all the Wizards. He is just also the wisest.

Until he goes SSJ White Wizard at least.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Dragons are like, literally the counterparts to Eagles. The "might spirits" of beasties like Gwaihir and Thorondor were tit-for-tatted by Morgoth. They're not "created" in the sense that Morgoth imbues them with being or anything like that.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I really liked this, it was pretty much three hours of beautifully choreographed fighting and that's one of my favorite things

Plot? Who needs plot! More elves with swords please!!

Also Galadriel is a badass lady and I want to be her when I grow up