As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

75% of PAL PS2 games will work on PAL PS3's

Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
EUROPEAN PLAYSTATION 3 COMPATIBILITY SITE LAUNCHES EARLY

It seems that Sony really have been striving to make up for all the love lost with early compatibility fears. Whilst standing by their original comments that backwards compatibility will not be the focus going forward, the early launch of its compatibility site reveals that 1,782 of the 2,451 PS2 titles (in the SCEE region) available will work on your PS3.

The 1.6 firmware upgrade to be released at midnight on March 22 has now been finalised, and the number of games listed is the number that will be available to those owners who upgrade their system software after March 23.

See press release below for details of the compatibility site and 1.60 Firmware upgrade:

European PLAYSTATION 3 Compatibility Site Launches Early

Firmware upgrade at launch to implement connectivity to Folding@home, background downloading and internet browser enhancements

London, 20 March 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe today launched the web site that will allow prospective PLAYSTATION®3 owners to see which of their PlayStation®2 titles are playable on the new European PS 3 hardware model.

The web site at http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc lists those titles from the portfolio of PS2 titles available in the SCEE PAL territories that are playable on PS3.

“Our engineers have been working overtime, and have succeeded in delivering a significant number of playable PS2 titles for the European launch”, said David Reeves, President of SCEE. “We will be adding additional titles to this list in future firmware upgrades, but as we have made clear before, in the future our resources will be increasingly focused on developing new services and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, rather than on delivering PS2 backwards compatibility.”

New owners of a European PS3 will need to install the latest firmware upgrade to play the PS2 titles listed on the web site. The upgrade will be available at launch from midnight on 22nd March through the PLAYSTATION®Network, from www.PlayStation.com or, for those unable to access the internet, on a disc obtained from local Customer Services.

The latest system software upgrade (Version 1.60) will deliver features such as Folding@home connectivity, background downloading of content from the PLAYSTATION®Store, support for Bluetooth® keyboards and mice, and an optional full QWERTY on-screen keyboard for text entry.

The Folding@home project allows PS3 owners to connect to Stanford University’s Folding@home program, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and many cancers. Using the power of the Cell Broadband Engine™, PS3 system can perform computer simulations for the Folding@home program ten times faster than your average home PC. Once PS3 system is updated to version 1.60, users can easily sign up to join the Folding@home program by clicking on the appropriate logo on the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) under the Network icon. Then, when the PS3 system is left on and reaches idle mode, it will automatically begin a simulation and, once completed, send information back to a central computer(*1). Additional details about Folding@home are available at http://www.scei.co.jp/folding/en/.

Firmware Version 1.60 also delivers a more convenient process for downloading content to the PS3 from the PLAYSTATION Store. Up to 6 pieces of content from the PlayStation store can be queued up for download while the user enjoys other functions of the PS3 system, including playing games, browsing the web, using media functions including photo browsing, video and music playback. Progress of downloads can be easily tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB’s Network icon(2).

Firmware 1.60 also provides support for keyboards and mice enabled with Bluetooth wireless technology. Text entry is further expanded with the option to use a full QWERTY on-screen keyboard, in addition to the existing single tap keyboard. PS3’s built-in Web browser is also enhanced with the ability to zoom in to the optimal viewing size for the selected area of a Web page at the press of a button, as well as an optional tool for reducing flicker when the PS3 system is using interlaced video out (480i or 1080i).

(*1) To run the application automatically in idle state, PS3 must be connected to the network with both main power switch and power button turned on. Option setting must also be changed as this automatic feature is off at default.

(*2) Please refer to http://eu.playstation.com/help-support/ps3 for full functionality as some limitations may apply. The speed of download depends on bandwidth and network usage.

Link

Nice news but it seems the backwards compatibility site has already crashed. :|

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
Unco-ordinated on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does the recent Sony decision affect this too, or not?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "We will be adding additional titles to this list in future firmware upgrades"
    Phew, not too bad then.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Blam. Also, Folding@Home is really nifty. Reminds me of SETI@Home.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is there a mirror for that BC list?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Is there a mirror for that BC list?

Nope. We'll just have to wait until Sony get it back up.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    A brief look shows -

SOTC = no known issues
    God of War 1&2 = no known issues
    DEVIL MAY CRY 3 = no known issues

FINAL FANTASY XII = some minor issues

GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS = noticeable issues
    OKAMI= noticeable issues

edit:
    " 1. You avoid connecting any non-essential USB peripherals to your PS3
    2. You avoid the use of "60Hz" and network modes (which may experience noticeable graphical corruption not present in the main game)
    3. You should skip optional FMV sequences (a small number of games have graphical corruption in one or more video sequences).
    4. A maximum of seven players can play (non-network) multiplayer PS2 games.
    "

LewieP on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    BC is really nice, but while I adore how the Wii has 100% BC with the Gamecube in the long term constraining your hardware like Nintendo did will result in disappointing consoles.

I ... don't know. I kind of like keeping my old consoles around. I wonder how important BC really is to sales.

(mind I'm projecting to pick up a PS3 sometime in 2008 or 9)

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seems like a rather comprehensive list. And nice update too.

*gives Sony a thumbs up*

Now, just reduce the price by £100...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, it went turned out nicely in the end. :) But Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is having serious issues? I mean, from what I read and understood, it isn't most complex PS2 titles around.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    BC is really nice, but while I adore how the Wii has 100% BC with the Gamecube in the long term constraining your hardware like Nintendo did will result in disappointing consoles.

I ... don't know. I kind of like keeping my old consoles around. I wonder how important BC really is to sales.

whilst I understand that having hardware BC is eventually going to to lead to worse/more expensive hardware, I think nintendo did it right by having hardware for the previous generation, and software for anything before that.

If BC is superior to playing on the origional console (like how component cables for GC are very rare, so playing GC games on Wii for most is the only way to get component out, and load times are a little quicker) then BC is very desireable.

If the PS3 played all PS2 games with near 100% compatibilty, upscaled to HD resolutions, and bumped the framerate up to consistant 60hz then I would be more inclined to buy one, as it is now, PS3 BC is not a selling point for me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I don't see how BC made the Wii a problem. The Gamecube was running on a PowerPC chip. The Wii was deliberately designed to be cheap and not very powerful, and run off of a slightly faster PPC chip. If Nintendo wanted to make something with lots of crazy gigafloppahurtz, they could have done it on the PowerPC architecture (the same way the 360 did) and still retained Gamecube BC.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    If the PS3 played all PS2 games with near 100% compatibilty, upscaled to HD resolutions, and bumped the framerate up to consistant 60hz then I would be more inclined to buy one, as it is now, PS3 BC is not a selling point for me.

Give it time. Current compatibility rate is good start and after compatibility reaches certain point, upscaling and few other features should be easy task to add.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't see how BC made the Wii a problem. The Gamecube was running on a PowerPC chip. The Wii was deliberately designed to be cheap and not very powerful, and run off of a slightly faster PPC chip. If Nintendo wanted to make something with lots of crazy gigafloppahurtz, they could have done it on the PowerPC architecture (the same way the 360 did) and still retained Gamecube BC.

Exactly. And Microsoft could have achieved quite lovely BC compatibility if their first console's processor wouldn't have been Celeron, or X360 would have used x86 based architecture.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    elkatas wrote: »

Give it time. Current compatibility rate is good start and after compatibility reaches certain point, upscaling and few other features should be easy task to add.

indeed, and if/when that kind of thing is implemented, I would be more inclined to get a PS3.

However, there is no reason to assume they will do that -

"in the future our resources will be increasingly focused on developing new services and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, rather than on delivering PS2 backwards compatibility."

Investing £430 in a PS3 in the hope that they will sort out BC, when they are specifically saying they aren't focusing on improving it is not something I personally want to do.

LewieP on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

My point is that with Nintendo just doing it, and the Wii having the Wiimote hook, the situation is grand.

If everyone used a simple evolutionary approach to console development it would suck though.

Apple jumped from PowerPC to get the performance it needed. BC Nintendo style prohibits that kind of leveraging of tech to make the best console possible.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    So FFX and X-II both have "noticable issues" aka worst possible mark.

So it appears I have to buy a PS2 before moving onto the PS3.

Buggersticks.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    Rez doesn't even make list.

GITAROO MAN *** No known issues to date

GOD OF WAR I & II get *** No known issues to date - so that means the" test" by the german site was before the update is now nonsense.

OKAMI * Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS *** No known issues to date -

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, uh... without a general PS3 Euro launch thread, I didn't know where to post this, but when it rains it pours:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23614
    Key titles to miss PlayStation 3 launch
    Matt Martin 09:50 (GMT) 20/03/2007

Ubisoft and Vivendi put back release of hit franchises

Ubisoft and Vivendi Games will not have a number of key titles available for the European launch of the PlayStation 3.

Ubisoft's Splinter Cell: Double Agent is due a week after launch, while award-winning Bethesda RPG Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion won't be released until April 27.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, currently at number two in the UK's All Formats charts, has been put back until June, while a spring date is mooted for Rainbow Six: Vegas.

All titles are currently available for Microsoft's rival Xbox 360 console.

With these popular franchises missing from the day one launch, Ubisoft is left with only Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII and Enchanted Arms for the first weekend of sales of Sony's next-gen machine.

Vivendi Games has also put back the release of the PlayStation 3 version of F.E.A.R. The game has already enjoyed critical and commercial success on the PC and Xbox 360, but will not arrive for PS3 in Europe until April 20.

So it's SC: DA, Oblivion, GRAW2, R6:Vegas, and FEAR. Were these titles a big part of the release? I haven't been following closely, but I've been under the impression that people were mostly looking forward to 1st party stuff. But even I know that Sony was relying on the strong launch lineup to help their European PS3 venture.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

My point is that with Nintendo just doing it, and the Wii having the Wiimote hook, the situation is grand.

If everyone used a simple evolutionary approach to console development it would suck though.

Apple jumped from PowerPC to get the performance it needed. BC Nintendo style prohibits that kind of leveraging of tech to make the best console possible.

Such is life, I suppose. I mean, do you think the main PC market will ever switch to a different processor architecture to leverage better technologies and etc? Never gonna happen.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've got a fairly small collection of PAL PS2 games, since I didn't get a PS2 until last year, and I've imported several games from the US.

Since I was going to go through the Australian compatibility list with my PAL games, I figured I might as well post it here too.

So, here's the compatibility for my PAL games:

- Jak and Daxter: Not Listed/Supported
    - Jak II: Intermittent Issues
    - Jak 3: Intermittent Issues
    - Singstar Legends: Intermittent Issues
    - Guitar Hero: Not Listed/Supported
    - Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (82013): Intermittent Issues
    - God Of War: No Known Issues
    - Ratchet and Clank: Not Listed/Supported
    - Ratchet and Clank 2: Not Listed/Supported
    - Ratchet and Clank 3: Not Listed/Supported
    - Final Fantasy X: Intermittent Issues
    - We Love Katamari: No Known Issues
    - Shadow of the Colossus: No Known Issues

So, that's:
    5 out of 13 games which aren't supported
    5 out of 13 games with intermittent issues
    3 out of 13 games that work perfectly

While it's certainly not 75% of my games working perfectly, it's not a terrible strike rate. Still, I expected the rate to be a little bit higher, since most of my PAL PS2 games are older games.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    whilst I understand that having hardware BC is eventually going to to lead to worse/more expensive hardware, I think nintendo did it right by having hardware for the previous generation, and software for anything before that.

I think I should point out that Virtual Console titles do not count as backwards compatibility. You have to rebuy any NES/SNES/N64 games you previously owned, which goes against the entire point of backwards compatibility.

Anyway, I'm happy. While a few of the titles I own and love aren't on the list (MGS2 and SH2 in particular), the majority are (FFXII, Tekken 5, MGS3:S, DMC1, GoW, etc). I hope they expand it on it pretty quickly though.

mausmalone: There were previously around 30 titles destined for the PAL launch, so I'm guessing that some of them were held back so they weren't lost in the mess. There's also a lot of rumours flying around that some companies are holding their games back and waiting for the PS3 userbase to get bigger (which is kind of stupid as they could've capitalised on the PS3's drought).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was told that the upside of EU getting entirely software-emulated backwards compatibility was higher resolutions for supported titles. This isn't the case?

And here I was hoping for HD Okami. :(

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I think I should point out that Virtual Console titles do not count as backwards compatibility. You have to rebuy any NES/SNES/N64 games you previously owned, which goes against the entire point of backwards compatibility.
    Yeah, its a great added bonus, but I agree its not BC, buts its a nice bonus. Hopefully though the Wii's successor will feature near 100% GC BC. I more meant that they don't include any n64/snes/nes hardware in the console, which is fine because emulating those systems on the Wii is fine, just like the PS3 constains no PS1 hardware.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The message down the bottom of the page is a bit of a worry too...

To have the best experience when playing your PlayStation®2 titles, we recommend that:
    1. You avoid connecting any non-essential USB peripherals to your PS3
    2. You avoid the use of "60Hz" and network modes (which may experience noticeable graphical corruption not present in the main game)
    3. You should skip optional FMV sequences (a small number of games have graphical corruption in one or more video sequences).
    4. A maximum of seven players can play (non-network) multiplayer PS2 games.

I generally play in 60Hz mode when it's available, and skipping cut-scenes wouldn't be desirable in most games.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yeah, its a great added bonus, but I agree its not BC, buts its a nice bonus. Hopefully though the Wii's successor will feature near 100% GC BC. I more meant that they don't include any n64/snes/nes hardware in the console, which is fine because emulating those systems on the Wii is fine, just like the PS3 constains no PS1 hardware.

Ah ok, yeah I agree with you then.

Btw, anyone else find it hilarious that DMC1 and DMC3 have no issues but DMC2 does? Clearly that game was so broken, it even broke the backwards compatibility.:lol:

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, this is much better than I expected. Looks like Sony got on the ball on this one. The only concern is how playable everything on the list is... I remember 360's BC list included/includes some games that act flaky.

Still, assuming there isn't too much fudging over the definition of what works, then thumbs-up.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought the PS1 support was supposed to be 100 percent? For some reason, FF7 isn't listed.

Barbie Explorer has minor issues. OMG PS3 doomed!

Ace Combat 2, Soul Reaver, Jade Cocoon, Tenchu Stealth Assassins, Tomb Raider II, The Legend of Dragoon, and Dynasty Warriors also has intermittent issues.

As for PS2 games, DISGAEA 2 CURSED MEMORIES, BEYOND GOOD & EVIL, CANIS CANEM EDIT, ZONE OF THE ENDERS, VIEWTIFUL JOE, TIME CRISIS 2, TWISTED METAL: BLACK, SILENT HILL 2, SILENT HILL 4 - THE ROOM, SONIC MEGA COLLECTION PLUS, SOUL CALIBUR 3, SPACE CHANNEL 5.1, SPLINTER CELL CHAOS THEORY, PRINCE OF PERSIA THE TWO THRONES, SPLINTER CELL DOUBLE AGENT, STREET FIGHTER EX 3, RESIDENT EVIL 4, JAK II and III, GOD HAND, GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS, some of the Eye Toy games, TIMESPLITTERS 2, KINGDOM HEARTS I except for what looks like a greatest hits version, METAL SLUG 3, METAL SLUG 5, NIGHTSHADE, MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 2, LEGACY OF KAIN : BLOOD OMEN 2, NEED FOR SPEED CARBON, and all of the SINGSTAR games except one have the lowest rating.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blam. Also, Folding@Home is really nifty. Reminds me of SETI@Home.

Is that because they're both examples of distributed computing?

lol

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, this is much better than I expected. Looks like Sony got on the ball on this one. The only concern is how playable everything on the list is... I remember 360's BC list included/includes some games that act flaky.

Still, assuming there isn't too much fudging over the definition of what works, then thumbs-up.

They have listed the games with ratings. One "square" means that the game has serious issues. Three means it should play fine.

Unfortunately, a fairly large proportion of the "75%" that are compatible only have one square. So, claiming 75% compatibility is stretching the truth.

Still, it's better than many of us were expecting. Three out of 13 of my games have a perfect rating, and another 5 should sort-of work. That's not too bad.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    so if a game is unlisted (see guitar hero) its completely imcompatible, is that what this means?

LewieP on
  • Options
    iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guitar hero (1 & 2) are not compatible

iMatt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    so if a game is unlisted (see guitar hero) its completely imcompatible, is that what this means?

Most probably.

It's either incompatible or untested. For most games, I think it is safe to assume that they are incompatible if they aren't listed.

Marlor on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »

Most probably.

It's either incompatible or untested. For most games, I think it is safe to assume that they are incompatible if they aren't listed.

FF7 isn't listed and they would be insane not to have it compatible. It also doesn't have MGS2 listed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I guess so, we won't find out until after the PAL launch (which is this friday). It might just mean that the Guitar is incompatible with the PS3 (which means we'll just have to wait until an adapter comes out).

Seeing as Phil Harrison was only mentioning 1200 PS2 titles a couple of weeks ago (which means they got another 600 at least partially working in under a month), I'm hoping that the backwards compatibility updates will be big and quickly released.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was told that the upside of EU getting entirely software-emulated backwards compatibility was higher resolutions for supported titles. This isn't the case?

If they implemented Higher resolutions, framerates and other upgrades with their BC system. Then I'd be tempted to buy a PS3 for a silky smooth hi-res Shadow of the Colossus. Well... almost. But damn that would be insanely awesome.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

If they implemented Higher resolutions, framerates and other upgrades with their BC system. Then I'd be tempted to buy a PS3 for a silky smooth hi-res Shadow of the Colossus. Well... almost. But damn that would be insanely awesome.

Well, even if PS2 games were converted to "HD", the textures would still be blocky. So scaling up wouldn't really make that much difference.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Well, even if PS2 games were converted to "HD", the textures would still be blocky. So scaling up wouldn't really make that much difference.

Well, it would if your TV has a shitty upscaler.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

I was referring to the PS3's BC upscaling (since that's what SPI was talking about).

My point is that even if the PS3 increased the resolution of PS2 games, the textures will never really be "HD". They can filter them to make them look a bit nicer, but in the end, PS2 games would have low-res textures, no matter what they do.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

I was referring to the PS3's BC upscaling (since that's what SPI was talking about).

My point is that even if the PS3 increased the resolution of PS2 games, the textures will never really be "HD". They can filter them to make them look a bit nicer, but in the end, PS2 games would have low-res textures, no matter what they do.

Yes, the textures will still be low res, but the ability to play the game in your HDTV's native resolution can make a huge difference depending on the TV.

Besides, things really far away will look nice. :P

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No Rez at all? Serious issues on God Hand and Gregory Horror Show?
    The hell with Sony.

Xagarath on