As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me Remember An Animated Movie

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
This has always bugged me. My mom used to rent animated movies for me back in the early to mid 80's, things like The Hobbit, the Secret of Nimh, The Flight of Dragons, The Black Cauldron, etc. There was this one movie I watched several times that I've never been able to remember (my mom wouldn't remember either as she just grabbed stuff she thought I would like).

It was an animated movie about Greek Mythology. All I remember was a scene with the 3 witches that shared an eye and I guess Perseus tricking them. I remember them looking pretty creepy, like hags. I think maybe there was a boob in there somewhere. From what I remember, the animation was similar to stuff like the Secret of Nimh, but I could be wrong.

Sorry, not much to go on, but there can't be that many animated movies about Greek mythology. I googled around but didn't find much that rang a bell.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    That sounds just like Clash of the Titans honestly, but it's not animated, unless you count claymation.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    No, this was standard animation.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Secret of Nimh was Don Bluth i think? if there were boobs it could have been Bakshi as well.

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    This is a lot later timewise, but it matches the description. In Disney's version of Hercules, the Fates share an eye between the three of them.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    No, it wasn't that. I was in high school when that came out, and I definitely remember watching this movie as a kid.

• Options
    ThrackThrack Registered User regular
  • Options
    Thrack wrote: »

No, I don't think so. I skimmed through it but didn't see that scene at all. I don't remember Pegasus being the majority of the movie in question. I think the protagonist (Perseus, I guess) was depicted as a teenager, but that could be a faulty memory. This movie might have had other Greek legends in it, as well.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No, that one came up, but from what I've seen of it, it was a Fantasia type of deal with animation set to music, and this was a standard plotted movie.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I saw that one while searching as well, but I don't think so. The art style isn't at all how I remember. And in that one, he just helps them whereas I remember a conflict and I think he tricked them to get the eye.

I want to say these 3 witches were an obstacle he had to get past. It's also possible it wasn't Greek mythology at all and it just borrowed the concept. I feel like the guy was dressed like a Greek warrior, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    everything you are depicting sounds very much like clash of the titans... and as far as I know there was no animated version of it... but perseus deinitely gets pegasus eventually to defeat the kraken, and he tricks the witches and gets their eye so they would tell him how to defeat the kraken... using medusa's head.

I think there might have been boobs in the original 1981 version too, but haven't seen it in forever, check the trailer and make sure you aren't just remembering it as animated?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBB5L8t-0Co

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    I'm like 99% sure it wasn't Clash of the Titans (as I had seen that as a kid, too).

• Options
    took a look, this is all i could find, but couldn't find it in english at all, but does this look familiar?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RArtCmjWqY&feature=player_detailpage#t=236s

• Options
    That's the Myth of Perseus that was linked earlier. I remember these women being creepy and hag-looking, while those look fairly normal.

• Options
    whoops missed that, I have no idea then.

• Options
    CelticTartCelticTart Registered User new member
    edited June 2017
    I was a 70's/80's mom who used to rent many animated films for my children....and me.
    I believe I know the movie of which you speak.
    We have been trying to remember the name of this one for years.
    I remember the young Perseus getting his helmet & winged boots. A snippet of a little song in the movie runs through my head from time to time..."Where are you going, Perseus?"
    It bugs us we can't find it.....YET! But still looking. If we ever find it I will post an answer for you.
    If you find it please post the answer for us.

CelticTart on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    CelticTart wrote: »
    I was a 70's/80's mom who used to rent many animated films for my children....and me.
    I believe I know the movie of which you speak.
    We have been trying to remember the name of this one for years.
    I remember the young Perseus getting his helmet & winged boots. A snippet of a little song in the movie runs through my head from time to time..."Where are you going, Perseus?"
    It bugs us we can't find it.....YET! But still looking. If we ever find it I will post an answer for you.
    If you find it please post the answer for us.
    This has to be Metamorphoses. If there is another animated Perseus movie with that song, I'll eat my invisible hat.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Necro'd, but I would just like to say it's nice to know that someone else remembers watching The Flight of Dragons when they were a kid.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.