As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Motorcycle/Scooters

bowenbowen How you doin'?Registered User regular
In the near future (like a year or two), I'm going to be trying to get a hold of a scooter or motorcycle for use for driving to work and back. I really want to cut back on fuel consumption and keep my monthly payments low. So I don't want some massive 10K motorcycle or a really noisy one. I just need something that can do about 55 at the most (one road has an unspoken speed minimum around there, even though it's a 45). I am not against a scooter either. Something that isn't going to get me killed or make me look like I'm holding onto a rocket would be preferable.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also how does shifting work? I've only ever driven automatic cars. Do some motorcycles come with transmissions like a car or are they all manuals? I'd like something with signal lights too. I also live in a semi-shitty area. How do I prevent people form stealing my shit besides bringing it inside?

I live in NYS, do I need a special license for a scooter? What about a motorcycle?

Any other information I can be given is great. I guess, realistically, my budget is <$4000 if it can be helped.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also, do they typically do financing at these places? Granted I could probably drop 4k if I scrounged and saved, but it'd be nice to get a loan and help my credit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Most newer scooters are automatics, but as far as I know, most motorcycles are manual. Your clutch is on your left hand and the shifter is at your left foot. Tap down for 1st, up for 2nd -> whatever. They're all going to have signals.

I probably can't recommend anything specifically, my motorcycle is old and heavily converted (café) which is probably not what you're looking for. Same with scooters, I used to ride older 60's Lambrettas, and that is absolutely not something you want to get involved with (finicky, very expensive, etc...)

First things first though, you're gonna need a motorcycle endorsement on your license. Most states offer a training course (usually three days) which, if you pass, counts as your skills and knowledge test at the DMV. So, you just do that, then waltz in with the card they give you, and the DMV will send off for a license with a motorcycle endorsement on it.

As for security? Big chains, disc brake locks, alarms, lojack...there are lots of options for you.

There's a thread in D&D if you dig back a few pages too.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, Bowen, is a power-assisted bicycle a viable option for you?

With Love and Courage
    The Ender wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, Bowen, is a power-assisted bicycle a viable option for you?

He needs something that does 55mph.

Also, here's that thread...

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/97328/motorcyclin-the-country-side/p1

Too much weather to really rely on a bicycle. I've toyed with the idea for summer months, but, being nasty when I get to work is out, and it's pretty much a 40-60 minute trip by bike. As opposed to 10-15. Mostly because fuck going ANYWHERE near the main roads.

Thanks esh, that's a whole lot of thread to go through, I'd still like to know people's recommendations.

I had been looking at http://powersports.honda.com/ in the mean time.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/rebel.aspx

Caught my eye for the motorcycle

http://powersports.honda.com/2010/sh150i.aspx

Someone in chat listed a few I could consider a while back but I couldn't find any local options that sold them.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I've been driving a Vespa LX150 for a while now, and it does a good job of getting me where I'm going, unless it's raining. It's $4,599 for a brand new one, I'm sure you could find another brand (Vespa's kinda the higher end) or a used model cheaper. The bike shop we bought it from did financing. It's got a top speed of 55. You'll want a 300cc if you need 55 as a consistent speed, though.

Something else to consider is cold-weather gear, depending on where you live. I've taken this thing to work in sub-freezing weather, and it's definitely doable, but it's dang cold. I haven't had to deal with snow yet, but even in the rain this thing is just fine for traction. The reason rain sucks is because it makes it hard to see through the visor and I have to drive with it up, and the rain feels like a million needles to the face.

Delzhand on
    edited January 2013
    bowen wrote: »
    http://powersports.honda.com/2013/rebel.aspx

Caught my eye for the motorcycle

http://powersports.honda.com/2010/sh150i.aspx

Someone in chat listed a few I could consider a while back but I couldn't find any local options that sold them.

Honda products have worked very well for me in the past - but those have all been mopeds. Looking at those, I'd just have one immediate caveat:
    I also live in a semi-shitty area. How do I prevent people form stealing my shit besides bringing it inside?

...Those bikes look really fancy / expensive. In my experience, one of the best ways to not have shit stolen is to buy things that are good quality but don't look expensive.

I guess that might be a shitty outlook, but I had to deal with some substantial amount of theft while living downtown in Edmonton, and the best way I found to curb it was to buy stuff that looked, well, dumpy.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    A Vespa would be awesome to learn on and use, the one problem is that they are VERY stealable. Two people can very, VERY quickly get one into the bed of a pickup or the back of a car and take off with it. Though, if you are on the ground floor, you can easily wheel it inside for storage.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    The gas savings in general would be dramatic. There isn't a whole lot of stop and go, but I also don't get enough time to really get up to speed in a car either.

As it stands in comparison to my car, I'm more worried about a 3k transmission fix than tires or oil changes or replacing a chain or brakes. I spend roughly $300 a month in gas, I live about 2 miles from home via highway.

Is the motorcycle still going to cost me and break even there?

Esh wrote: »
    A Vespa would be awesome to learn on and use, the one problem is that they are VERY stealable. Two people can very, VERY quickly get one into the bed of a pickup or the back of a car and take off with it. Though, if you are on the ground floor, you can easily wheel it inside for storage.

My largest concern. I mean I am on the ground floor. But I have 0 room really to store it. I could bring it inside through our kitchen doorway I guess, but it seems like a terrible idea in general.

I wonder what my options are because I have some neighborhood kids that are really into doing shitty things. So last thing I want is them trying to wheel away my stuff. Or trying to toss it into a truck.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    The problem with a scooter is it's only possible to look cool on a scooter in Europe.

I rode a Rebel for my first year on two wheels, and would heartily endorse them for your purposes. They'll hit 55 easy, 75 if it's not uphill, and even with a full open throttle I was generally getting 50mpg. Most riders report closer to 80, but I had a very hilly commute. I started itching for a bigger bike pretty quick, but if you're only concerned on mileage you're set. Once they hit ~$1500 they stop losing value almost completely, so buying one at that point and selling it when you want a bigger bike is pretty painless.
    For costs, you're looking at the bike, whatever riding training is available (here it's about $200 and a weekend's time), and maybe $300-400 in gear. It was $75/yr to insure my bike. You'll want a good helmet, gloves, and jacket. You should have riding pants, if only in case of rain - riding while wet sucks.

An alternate bike would be the V-Star 250, which I think has better styling, but seemed to cost a bit more last I looked. Less common, so less available parts. The Ninja 250 is supposedly nice, but I'm not a sport bike guy, so can't comment on it.

Madpoet wrote: »
    The Ninja 250 is supposedly nice, but I'm not a sport bike guy, so can't comment on it.

It's not a sport bike.

CoH_infantry.jpg

My largest concern. I mean I am on the ground floor. But I have 0 room really to store it. I could bring it inside through our kitchen doorway I guess, but it seems like a terrible idea in general.

I wonder what my options are because I have some neighborhood kids that are really into doing shitty things. So last thing I want is them trying to wheel away my stuff. Or trying to toss it into a truck.

Can you talk to the building management about using some of their indoor storage for your bike / scooter?

With Love and Courage
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    The Ninja 250 is supposedly nice, but I'm not a sport bike guy, so can't comment on it.

It's not a sport bike.

It's got the sport bike riding position, it's in the sport category on Kawasaki's web site, and the first paragraph on its wiki page includes: "As the marque's entry-level sport bike...". But what do I know, I'm not a sport bike guy.

Tiny hijack. I learned to ride on a standard sort of motorcycle. The one that's almost finished being built (should be done by early February) is café style with rearsets and clip ons. Any advice from those who ride in the sport position?

edited January 2013

Can you talk to the building management about using some of their indoor storage for your bike / scooter?

If you drain the fluids from the bike (coolant, gasoline, engine oil) there should be no combustibles and so you should be able to store it indoors when you're not using it. If you're talking about regular storage, a simple bike cover will do. If you want extra security, get a chain. Cheaper bikes, especially the old-style EX250s, are rarely targets because they look very 80s and they're not expensive.

VeritasVR wrote: »

It's not a sport bike.

It's got the sport bike riding position, it's in the sport category on Kawasaki's web site, and the first paragraph on its wiki page includes: "As the marque's entry-level sport bike...". But what do I know, I'm not a sport bike guy.

Neither am I. However, I do know that it does not have the sport bike riding position based on the location of the handlebars and foot pegs. It's also under the sport category because that's the only way it will sell. They can't sell it as a standard because, like you said, it has the sport bike styling. It's a good entry to sport bikes, but the bike itself is not one.

Also, redline speed: 85 mph.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    edited January 2013
    Yeah not really into the crotch rocket style of bike if I'm going to get one. I do like the style from honda there.

I'm also not really worried about looking good. My primary focus is getting costs down because repairs on my car are crazy if it happens, so I'd like to avoid using it as much as possible.

$200 worth of repairs every 6 months isn't a problem, $1500 is.

Also my building doesn't have storage, it's a collection of townhouses. Wheel locks are a thing? So you pretty much have to deadlift it to get it to move? Not really helpful against 3 grown teenagers I guess is it?

I assume most insurance companies have comprehensive insurance in case it needs to be replaced?

bowen on
    http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/TU250X/2012/TU250X.aspx#Specs

This one doesn't look too bad either. I'm fine with using whatever year, so long as it works.

Do the "dealerships" often give you training on basic maintenance? Safety course? Or do I basically have to rely on bike shops and google there?

• Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    THIS is the site for the NYS motorcycle safety classes. Definitely go that route if you are thinking motorcycle (or even scooter for that matter). Basic maintenance depends on what type of drive your bike has. There are 3 types - Chain, Belt, and shaft. Chain-driven are usually the sport-type bikes and in my experience require the most maintenance. Shaft-driven are basically the same as cars and require the least maintenance. Belt is somewhere in between.

My first bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (which isn't made any more) that was a cruiser style with a Ninja engine. I wasn't prepared for how much maintenance goes into making sure that chain is clean and lubricated. I ended up buying a hydraulic lift which helped out immensely. I usually cleaned/lubricated the chain monthly or after driving in the rain or wet weather.

My second bike was a Vulcan Meanstreak 1600 and it was shaft-driven and was much, much easier to take care of.

I now no longer have a bike due to an accident while riding. Word of advice - always wear your protective gear and always wear a full-face helmet.

Raif Severance on
    The dealerships will just sell you the bike. That's it. You DEFINITELY want to take the safety classes. I know that in Oregon, as well as functioning as the skills/knowledge test for the DMV, taking it will also lower your insurance.

And to echo Ralf, FULL FACE HELMET. I've got a broken nose to testify to that.

edited January 2013
    Yeah I hear that, I ain't no dummy.

I'm looking at probably 10 miles round trip. 5-6 lights at the most. Mostly city 30-45 with a single stretch of about 55.

We get a lot of snow here. I'll probably switch to my SUV on bad days. Something a bit easier on the maintenance would be preferred. If I have to replace tires every 6 months and grease up the chain every month that's fine. As it stands that's a pittance of maintenance costs. As it stands that looks like an oil change almost every 8 or so months if I rode it every day to work (waaat)?

Looks like those courses don't really teach maintenance... anywhere I should go in particular or should I wait and ask about a specific bike once I get one?

Looks like that safety course might give me a waiver for needing to take an actual driving test with the motorcycle too, that's a huge plus.

bowen on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Full face helmet, yes.

Also helps with weather and bugs.

edited January 2013

Looks like those courses don't really teach maintenance... anywhere I should go in particular or should I wait and ask about a specific bike once I get one?

Looks like that safety course might give me a waiver for needing to take an actual driving test with the motorcycle too, that's a huge plus.

Pick up a Haynes manual for your bike.

And yeah, that's what I've been saying. ;)

Oh, and definitely take a week or so to just ride around your neighborhood to get used to the feel of the bike. A 3 day course does not give you the prep to just start riding and jump into traffic.

Esh on
    Yeah I figured I'd be doing some weekend riding for a few days before I hit doing it full time, at least.

Thanks again everyone I'll keep adding to this thread as I have more to ask.

Yeah not really into the crotch rocket style of bike if I'm going to get one. I do like the style from honda there.

I'm also not really worried about looking good. My primary focus is getting costs down because repairs on my car are crazy if it happens, so I'd like to avoid using it as much as possible.

$200 worth of repairs every 6 months isn't a problem, $1500 is.

Also my building doesn't have storage, it's a collection of townhouses. Wheel locks are a thing? So you pretty much have to deadlift it to get it to move? Not really helpful against 3 grown teenagers I guess is it?

I assume most insurance companies have comprehensive insurance in case it needs to be replaced?

I was able to disassemble, clean, and rebuild the carb on the rebel pretty easily in an evening with just the Haynes guide. When I finally blew the thing up, it wasn't even too bad to pull it apart and find the piston damage. So, regular maintenance isn't a big deal. I had the worst case scenario and needed a whole freaking engine replaced, and found a good used one around $400. Dead bike photos

The $75/yr insurance was full comprehensive, roadside assistance, everything. They're seriously cheap to own.
    My girl has a Virago 250 (now the V-Star), and it's quite a bit more to insure for some reason.

This is looking aces all around. Plus I think I'll enjoy it.

Can anyone link me some good gear like helmets and pads/pant covers they recommend? I've got a cheapo leather jacket from JCPenny which I don't think is going to hold up to any abuse.

I take it those Haynes guides are great for people with basic "I can figure shit out if you walk me through it" knowledge?

Helmet my girl and I both wear. The built in sunglasses are a godsend.
    I got my jacket off of a clearance rack at the local bike shop for $100. You'll want good elbow and back armor.

That's pretty well exactly what the guides are. Lots of pictures, good instructions. I think I had 1-2 spots where I felt there was a step missing, but never a complete blocker.

That helmet reminds me of my Bell Vortex in matte black.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    http://www.motorcycleshows.com/ If one of the motorcycle shows on that page are by where you live, go to it and sit on all the bikes and see what feels good.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

If there are any utility poles, street signs, or lampposts near where you'd park, a $50 kryptonite chain will basically resolve the theft issue, and theft insurance is pretty cheap, too. Mine's got a lock loop built into the frame, I'm sure that's not unique to Vespas.

Edit: also it's got a wheel lock - you turn the front wheel about 45 degrees, and lock the ignition like that. Sure someone can still pick it up, but it's not like they can just wheel it up a ramp into a truck.

Delzhand on
    An audible alarm would be enough, anyways, if it's jostled too much or rolled as long as it starting blaring like crazy I'd hear it (we have parking right outside our townhouse).