As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to see DC as a company with no internal power. WB basically owns them and, I'd wager makes a disturbingly larger amount of money off the merchandising end of DC rather than the comics themselves. Why does Warner Brothers continually meddle in the comics themselves then? Who can say? Maybe they like doing it. Maybe the upper corporate levels occasionally think they can fix DC with their directives. All I know is I'm of the opinion that WB doesn't really see a need for DC any longer, beyond the occasional media-purpose events and street-level promotion of properties that sell action figures, video games and (sometimes) movies. They're in Warner Bros pocket and every once in a while they get a tic-tac. I'm afraid it's going to stay this way for a long, long time.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I agree but with Disney seems to be doing with Marvel might change that

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I'm beginning to see DC as TNA and Marvel as WWE.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I think I found another shot of the new Raven.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO6bDCtdtR_4iu6xZQIZt3ZDypUGO3B_h_8H6PeLSpx2nd-SSG1g

What the hell were they thinking?

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Is that The Ray?

I kinda liked that mini and was hoping he wouldn't show up in Titans.

Yeah it was a fun mini, with a cool main character

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I'm beginning to see DC as TNA and Marvel as WWE.

You say that

but Marvel is handling their properties way better than WWE right now

and actually I think TNA are probably handling theirs better than DC, haha

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I used to be a big, giant DC fan. I bought DC comics from the early 80's up to the late 90's. Just about 20 years worth of time. I really tried to like the new 52, and I did kind of like Aquaman, but it isn't the same anymore and I fear I no longer have any interest in comics. :c

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    You should give Marvel a shot, Marvel Now is pretty much perfect for you.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I picked up Lemire's Green Arrow, the first DC Comic I have bought in months.

I liked it enough to get the next issue. Lemire spent the issue destroying Krul's horrible "spoiled billionaire brat" version of the character and making Ollie start at square one, financially and physically.

Smart move.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    It would be interesting to know how much WB does pull the strings at DC and how much is just bad editors. Also isn't WB locked in some kind of internal battle over who has control of the company?

Also though I think people go a bit over the top with the whole "DC is doomed" thing they have some great titles too. Batman, Batwoman, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, The Flash are all comics I'm rating.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how much WB does pull the strings at DC and how much is just bad editors. Also isn't WB locked in some kind of internal battle over who has control of the company?

Also though I think people go a bit over the top with the whole "DC is doomed" thing they have some great titles too. Batman, Batwoman, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, The Flash are all comics I'm rating.

You probably weren't referring to me, but I wasn't saying that DC is doomed.

I'm saying that, compared to Marvel, they have a higher ratio of fans facepalming and muttering "this fuckin' company".

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I wasn't referring to you but I can definitely agree with that.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Just read green arrow and it was a solid start but it was probably sorrentino's weakest issue compared to I,vampire. It felt like he was trying to experiment to much with his colors and it became really frustrating to read in digital format because I couldn't figure out what was going on at first glance. For those that didn't read it(shame on you) whenever something important happened the panel would be colored black, white, and green(or red). It was cool at first but then it happened around every other panel. But the I,vampire's colorist is doing the next issue so I expect that he should reign sorrentino in and improve upon his colors. overall, good issue with a few bumps along the way. GET IT!

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is new news or not but Fury Of The Firestorm, Ravagers, Savage Hawkman, Deathstroke, Sword Of Sorcery and Team 7 just got the axe. There's some new art in the article at least if the news is old.

• Options
    Jesus, Sword and Team 7 didn't even make it to issue 10 did they?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Wish they'd scrap the rest of the Young Justice line while they're at it

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    @antimatter

Stormwatch #17 spoilers
    5H4yVPT.jpg
    jUc2C1h.jpg

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'll take it

• Options
    Oh hey

That is kinda neat

But Milligan is writing that, right? And Starlin is about to take over so doubt that sticks.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Poor Starlin, he wrote good things once

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Sometimes I like Alex Maleev, sometimes I don't

3rwoJs0.jpg

This is one of those times I love it. Still waiting for the Batman/Daredevil crossover Bendis wants to write

• Options
    Poor Starlin, he wrote good things once
    I liked Mystery In Space. The thing where he relaunched Captain Comet after 52.

But that is the only thing even close to good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Hopefully DC doesn't force more titles out there to fill in the 7 missing gaps. Well, one will be Man of Steel, but don't try and bring back Wetworks or Wildcats.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hopefully DC doesn't force more titles out there to fill in the 7 missing gaps. Well, one will be Man of Steel, but don't try and bring back Wetworks or Wildcats.
    Chase: We've also got some [new] Young Justice titles coming up as well.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Excuse me while I projectile vomit

• Options
    edited February 2013
    My favorite bit of the article:
    Harras made clear that though these series are ending, it doesn't necessarily mean the characters won't be seen, citing Hawkeye's role in Justice League of America 

Also Vibe's creative team lasted three whole issues and Kriesberg is leaving to be replaced by Sterling Gates

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Not sure if this is new news or not but Fury Of The Firestorm, Ravagers, Savage Hawkman, Deathstroke, Sword Of Sorcery and Team 7 just got the axe. There's some new art in the article at least if the news is old.

No more Justin Jordan? D:

• Options
    Tairu wrote: »
    Excuse me while I projectile vomit

Young Justice doesn't have to automatically equal bad. Brian miller, Justin Jordan, etc could great things for teen heroes. Sure, it's going to end up being lobdell but the line could be good.

• Options

Justin Jordan is taking over Superboy, and Christy Marx (Sword of Sorcery) is getting Birds of Prey.

• Options
    Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray are taking over Batwing

CldoG9M.jpg

so now he's (even more) Batman's Steel.

I was digging Batwing for a while but got bored somewhere along the past 2 or 3 issues. I'd like a book about Nightrunner, or for them to turn Batman Incorporated into an anthology book about the different "Batmen" once Morrison's story is done.

• Options
    Keith wrote: »

Justin Jordan is taking over Superboy, and Christy Marx (Sword of Sorcery) is getting Birds of Prey.

Justin Jordan is taking over Superboy.

I'll take it!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Iron BatMan with metal pockets!

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    @antimatter

Stormwatch #17 spoilers
    5H4yVPT.jpg
    jUc2C1h.jpg
    What's with all these comics being done in Poser lately?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

What the fucking fuck? Sword of Sorcery and Team 7 both just started. And Sword of Sorcery has been one of my most looked forward to books every month.

God damn it. There goes a good female led, female written, neutral appeal book.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Team 7 was doomed from the start. As much as I liked Jordan's handling of the Charcters the book was on a tight editorial leash, had horrible art, and by the third issue it was one of DC's lowest selling books. A book like Superboy is a much better fit for Jordan and should have steady enough sales for him to actually think of a lomg term plan that won't be scapped due to cancellation.

• Options

What the fucking fuck? Sword of Sorcery and Team 7 both just started. And Sword of Sorcery has been one of my most looked forward to books every month.

God damn it. There goes a good female led, female written, neutral appeal book.

Looking at the sales for December 2012

Fury of the Firestorm sold 11,997
    Ravagers sold 16,177
    Savage Hawkman sold 13,564
    Deathstroke sold 13,528
    Sword of Sorcery sold 13,752
    Team 7 sold 15,381

Books around those numbers that aren't canceled yet:

Dial H: 16,217
    Stormwatch: 15,437
    Demon Knights: 15,152
    Batwing: 14,674

Any DC book with sales lower than Batwing's are either canceled, minis, or Vertigo

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm not that angry about Team 7, though slightly disappointed.
    But Sword of Sorcery cancellation is depressing.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I'm curious what these books are getting replaced by. Man of Steel I guess, and something in young justice, but that still leaves 5 mystery books.

• Options
    Man, if Demon Knights and Dial H get the axe too, I'll be even more sad.

• Options
    Even though I was reading Team 7 and Deathstroke I'm not the least bit sad to see any of these books go. In one month DC has cut out half the crap that has been plaguing the new 52. Plus, a lot of these creative changes actually sound like good moves rather than the crap they've been giving us. Now they just need to work on diversifying the Bat family and Green Lantern books and I will be a very happy person.

This discussion has been closed.