As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fake guns and the people who love them. [NERF]

PeenPeen Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Social Entropy++
I got a Nerf gun yesterday for the first time in a while. I'd resolved to be an adult and wait until my kids were old enough to play with them, but this gun finally broke me:

vdpsnb.jpg

It was just too beautiful. I know there are other adults who love Nerf, and maybe there are some Airsoft enthusiasts too? We should talk fake guns.

I guess you could talk about LARPing too but why would you want a foam sword when you can roll with big fake guns? Makes no sense to me.

Whatever your plastic weapon of choice is, we should all agree that playing with toys as an adult is great.

Peen on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I learned the other day that a friend of mine at work did not know how to properly shoot finger guns. Instead of using his thumb as the hammer going down, he bent his finger like he was holding an invisible gun. I explained to him that would be akin to bending the barrel of his gun but he argued with me.

I then proceeded to get every employee in the store to shoot him with finger guns throughout the rest of the day.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Our student house got in a load of Mavericks

When things get really quiet in the house, you have to pick your gun up or you're going to get dart'd

Also, whistler darts are cool!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've got an old Maverick too and it's pretty sweet but the spring's pretty shot so there's a definite arc to the darts. Still a nice gun.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    conveniently they released a brand new update to the maverick this year

Strongarm

also I was so tempted to buy that nerf rough cut you linked in the op Peen, but pretty much all the listings on amazon are all marked up 100% for some reason except one that doesn't do prime shipping. meh

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Do you have to get it shipped? If so that stinks because it's pretty boss.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'll just get it down the road. Glad to hear its pretty cool though!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    conveniently they released a brand new update to the maverick this year

Strongarm

also I was so tempted to buy that nerf rough cut you linked in the op Peen, but pretty much all the listings on amazon are all marked up 100% for some reason except one that doesn't do prime shipping. meh

I might have to snag that

I miss my maverick but I hate the yellow they come in now

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Some of the mods for nerf can be insane. I've seen one where the dude was lugging around a air pressurized he attached to his longshot

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    holy shit guys, they made a new maverick.

strongarm.jpg

and it's got the "slam firing" meaning if you hold the trigger and cock it it rapid fires.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Fake guns are so much cooler than real guns.

broken image link
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    there was a great old thread in the technology subforum of people just custom painting their nerf guns to look badass.

the last cool nerf gun i got to mess with was the sniper the broke apart into 3 smaller guns. so freaking cool.

i have always wanted to try shooting the belt-fed nerf turret

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i have always wanted to try shooting the belt-fed nerf turret

i have it. it's pretty neat.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    There are some great paint jobs out there, but I think this one is my favourite.

Nerf_Lonshot_Ultimate_2_by_meandmunch.jpg

I love NERF guns, even if it is a pain to search for the darts after a good war. It's annoying that you can't buy them in Norway but I've still amassed a little selection. If I ever moved to the States I would have so many guns in my house it wouldn't even be funny.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    this is just some of our Nerf arsenal, as of last year:

nerf-arsenal.jpg

not pictured, as it has been purchased since then:

Raider CS-35
    2 Barrel Break IX-2s
    2 more Maverick REV-6s
    Marauder Long Sword
    Warlock Axe
    Battlemaster Mace
    Like a hundred more Streamline darts
    A few Buzz Bee guns, which aren't Nerf brand but largely compatible with them, including a lever-action rifle that actually ejects shells as you reload, and a semi-automatic battery-powered rifle with a 12-round drum magazine that has an optional, detachable rocket launcher that snaps on top

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Two of my best freinds and I just got a house were moving into this week. I think I'm going to buy that belt fed nerf gun and hold the staircase for a bit

i love that they do swords and stuff now, i was sorely tempted to buy some and just beat the fuck out of my friends with them

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    is there larping with nerf guns

what am i saying of course there is

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    The nerf hatchet is the greatest thing they have ever made, followed closely by the small Thor hammer that existed around the movies release

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Warning: The Marauder foam is a bit harder and heavier than other Nerf swords and there's a distinct mouldline along the edge you might wanna scrape off

I hit a friend of mine in the forearm with it and it broke skin, leaving a little scrape

First time I've ever drawn blood with a Nerf weapon

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Nerf guns are pretty cool yeah.

when i was 12, i accidentally shot my dad's friend in the eye. it's cool though, he was wearing glasses so it stuck perfectly to the lense in front of his pupil. and he didn't even flinch.

If you can get ahold of the Stonewall shield and knife set it's pretty awesome. There's one in my arsenal pic there. The knife is a great back-up weapon during a Nerf war, and the shield is not only a pretty effective shield from darts but the yellow center and the silver "blade" edge on it are foam too, so you can bash and slam with it too.

We had an eight man melee brawl and at the time not enough melee weapons to go around so I just used the shield, and was the second last man standing

so

Captain America that shit

i was just thinking how easy it would be to paint that shit like cap's classic shield

man that maverick looks really out of place

I'll take that off your hands you know if it's bothering you or whatever

At the church I used to attend they had nerf wars. We would flip all the tables making barricades and such. People found out that the right size PVC pipes make perfect blow darts. The things would fly 50 feet before they started to dip. Many a bruises were had

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    just putting that out there

I'm a big fan of the knife that comes with the shield, I tend to favor it as melee weapons go.

because the truth is I have no idea how to swordfight and besides if I did apparently the knowledge isn't that applicable to Nerf swords anyway, according to a buddy of mine who has done fencing and kendo

but I do know how to use batons and knives because of work and stuff, and really there's no effective difference between using a Nerf knife and a real one or a baton

When I was in high school and we played DnD in my friends basement, my buddy had an axe he was wielding around screaming like his character and accidently scliced my hand open with it.

Last year for Christmas I got him a nerf battle axe with a card that read "Try and cut me with this."
    Yeah that thing really hurts.

edited January 2013
    the Warlock Axe is awesome because the head on it is SUPER broad, you can deflect darts with it pretty easily if you hold it sideways to shield yourself, I've done it

Pony on
    We also would do some humans vs zombies. They had a huge gym, where the zombies could be on the other side and be out of range. There was a light switch in the middle that would make the place basically pitch black. It was horrifying to a young bluedude

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    also

the disc guns Nerf has been releasing in the last year and such are really, really wind-sensitive

when you are playing outdoors they can deviate significantly over long ranges, and can really effect the speed of the projectile

I was able to slap two out of the air with a sword while rushing the guy with the Vortex and he was like "FUCK!" and had to run

he did not make it far before I cut him down

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    dual-wielding nerf shields is the way to go

PNk1Ml4.png
    We also would do some humans vs zombies. They had a huge gym, where the zombies could be on the other side and be out of range. There was a light switch in the middle that would make the place basically pitch black. It was horrifying to a young bluedude
    That sounds like so much fun.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Nerf Mavrick with the nerf knife in your off hand.

Remember the basics of CQC.

this is a more recent pic of our collection, with some of our friends' stuff mixed in too:

IMG00551.jpg

-Tal wrote: »

What we need to do is modify one of those little one shot nerf guns so that the spring fires from a hole in the shield. Protection and assult in one package.

Legba wrote: »
    That sounds like so much fun.

Sometime times they wouldn't even enter the gym, forcing us to hunt them down in the churches maze like hallways in the dark.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Bucketman wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »

What we need to do is modify one of those little one shot nerf guns so that the spring fires from a hole in the shield. Protection and assult in one package.

I had one of those little one-shot Derringer-style Nerf pistols in the same hand I was holding the shield handle with (It's a nylon strap with velcro, this is not hard to do) and I had a sword in the other hand

You couldn't see the pistol for the shield in the way. My brother came at me with an axe and mace combo and I was like "LET'S DO THIS" and when he rushed me

I turned the shield and fired the derringer, hitting him in the chest

he was not happy with my lack of honor