As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Planetside 2]: NiZn doesnt do it for me anymore, only LiCoO2 gives the fix I need.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... really pissing off VS engineers?

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    This game really needs more faction asymmetry, so that is an interesting idea.

I need to watch more Higby Pls.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    If they basically copy and paste the heat mechanics from the MANA or PHALANX turret, this will bomb hard. It could work if it is something more like the Orion can be fired in short controlled bursts all day long without burning out the cooling unit's battery, but sustained firing during a pitched CQB fight will still require the reloading of fresh batteries to resume shooting.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Alinius133Alinius133 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Depends on how they handle it. Maybe instead of dropping ammo packs, VS engineers drop supercooling fields.

Alinius133 on
    Try after 51 minutes in.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Warning! Here Be Valkyries!

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    First impressions of the Valkyrie

4 Rumbleseats plus a squad logistics system (can spawn in valkyrie, can drop without momentum or fall damage). Holy shit.
    Engineers can repair the craft from a rumble seat
    The anti-vehicle minigun is redonkelously powerful.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    My impression is that the Valkyrie is actually pretty much useless. As a transport it is strictly inferior to the Galaxy, and as a gunship it is just annihilated by absolutely everything. The rumble seats are not really a viable firing platform, especially since it is pretty much impossible to get more than 2 of your 5 passengers to bring their guns to bear on a target.

It really needs to decide what, exactly, it wants to be.

Garthor wrote: »
    My impression is that the Valkyrie is actually pretty much useless. As a transport it is strictly inferior to the Galaxy, and as a gunship it is just annihilated by absolutely everything. The rumble seats are not really a viable firing platform, especially since it is pretty much impossible to get more than 2 of your 5 passengers to bring their guns to bear on a target.

It really needs to decide what, exactly, it wants to be.

We used it pretty much like Huey helicopters. Troop transports/light support. Like flying harassers or something.
    Ie, it's NOT a hotzone insertion transport. It's NOT an attack gunship. Fly sneaky and in support and it's sneakier, faster and in some ways more aggressive than a Galaxy (since you're better able to hug the landscape and the anti-vehicle MG will almost instakill if you get two Valks on top of a vehicle)

My experience with Valkyries.
    Two transports with anti-vehicle miniguns chewed up big enemy MBTs pretty good, if you encounter sunderers and Lightnings that's a job for your droptrooper heavies (although you can easily murderize an untended Sundie). Squad Logistics meant continual spawn of troops just raining down from the sky.
    It was good to have a few ESFs flying in support. Enemy ESFs will just murder a Valkyrie.
    Otherwise our force was mainly a mix of engineers and heavies (with a medic and an infiltrator as well). Those troops could be inserted up high to rain rockets down on the enemy, or down low for sneaky spawning. Ideal insertion is getting a squad somewhere the Sunderers can't really go.
    Never EVER fly high. You're not strong enough for that.
    Limited utility on the Esamir map. Too flat. Much more capable on Indar, Hossin and Amerish.

P.S: I saw a Vanu Valkyrie do some crazy shit with Lancers in the rumbleseat. NC/TR rumbleroles seem a bit more restricted. The ability to get an engineer in the backseat though means that you don't need any more regen capability than that.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the big 'issue' I have with the valkyrie is that I don't see why you'd take one instead of a galaxy. Logistics aren't enough of a concern that a light air transport is really needed, especially with resources the way they are now.

I kinda think it should have 1-2 more weapon mounts pointed different directions; another ground facing cannon and an AA mount on the top or something.

I saw VS firing lancers out of one and that seems decently effective, but for any other AV weapon to really work from rumble seats you have to get too close to the ground. Also, do the people in the seats run out of ammo, or does the valkyrie resupply them? Seems like that'd be a problem.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2014
    No way to resupply the guys in the back seats, except possibly by landing on an ammo pack. That one doesn't seem all that reliable though.

Garthor on
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Cert up yer ammo belts

No way to resupply the guys in the back seats, except possibly by landing on an ammo pack. That one doesn't seem all that reliable though.

You'll have an engineer with you, right?

Putting down for ... 30s? ... every couple of minutes doesn't seem like it'd be a huge issue.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

You'll have an engineer with you, right?

Putting down for ... 30s? ... every couple of minutes doesn't seem like it'd be a huge issue.

or just redeploy back into it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    that's actually a good point, I guess you'd just suicide and spawn back in when you were out of ammo

NREqxl5.jpg
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular

Could give them basically cooling packs they drop that allow people to fire longer before their gun overheats. For the engineers the mechanic would be little different than what we have already in place for big fights.

One thing to note about vals is I am not sure they could afford to make them any tougher than they currently are if you have a couple engineers in the back you can last a very long time for the hot dropping roll and light combat duties they do.

They do fill a similar roll to the gal but they are basically even more disposable good squad insertion tools ahead of your sunderers rolling into the area. We were using groups of them to good effect along hopping ahead of our main attack force catching the opponents off guard and allowing for our leading squads to respawn on the valks.

Gals still have a niche as they can still move MAXes around. That said, I would not mind them tuning Valkyries into being the more prominent air transport in exchange for allowing Gals to carry a Harasser or even a Lightning in addition to its normal infantry compliment.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Given how long it takes to repair a Valk vs how fast even a single Skyguard can wear it down? A fair buff to valk toughness (and a fair buff to infantry flak resistance) wouldn't risk breaking it.

After more experimentation I still find the Valk useful, but it's a raiding aircraft that is even more conflict averse than the Harasser.
    It's a Futuristic Huey.

edited September 2014
    I really, really, really hope that a Skyguard vs. a Valk is pretty much an auto-win for the Skyguard unless the Valk is awesome / Skyguard is stupid.

Please, let there be just 1 type of plane I can actually reliably shoot down!!!

EDIT: A Harasser is conflict-averse?

Elvenshae on
    Is "bullet-allergic" a better term for it then? Just that the valk shouldn't fight anything that appears to be ready to fight back. It takes only a few seconds for a pair of Hellion valks to meat a sunderer, but it takes even less for an A30 walker to meat a valk.

edited September 2014
    Hm a little late in the conversation but that'd be pretty cool, a "cargo lifter" line of galaxy certs or something. Say give up half the passenger seats in exchange for a lightning or a harasser or two.

Then we could form a tank paratroopers brigade

BxvNunR.jpg

a06VzT2.png

(my age, let me show you it)

Fleeb on
    Given how long it takes to repair a Valk vs how fast even a single Skyguard can wear it down? A fair buff to valk toughness (and a fair buff to infantry flak resistance) wouldn't risk breaking it.

After more experimentation I still find the Valk useful, but it's a raiding aircraft that is even more conflict averse than the Harasser.
    It's a Futuristic Huey.

Yup the best use I have seen is basically using them in advance of the actual bulk of the force to drop the initial squads into an area before the furball really gets cooking.

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I saw Fleeb online today! :D

Also, it was a thing in PS1 where you could load up vehicles in the Gal and drop them off somewhere. Then again, vehicles had different sizes in PS1.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
    call me crazy, but I don't really think that more vehicles wedged in more high, hard to reach places is really the change the game needs

NREqxl5.jpg
    edited September 2014
    I saw Fleeb online today! :D

I'm online almost every day :D
    call me crazy, but I don't really think that more vehicles wedged in more high, hard to reach places is really the change the game needs

Ah spoil sport. C'mon, it would be awesome. I really just want to land a tank on some TRs head.

Any vehicle wedged up high would be a sitting duck for aircraft.

Fleeb on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular

I don't either, but I feel it's kind of a continuity thing. I mean, PS2 takes place after they finally found Auraxis or whatever and they had that technology. And then suddenly they don't. Then again, they also had home planets for each faction (Sanctuary) and instead of continents they had planets. Though getting vehicles in hard to reach places is pretty much just a Hossin thing where it might be annoying, everywhere else you can already get the vehicles in those places for the most part.

I still feel like Libs are and MBTs are huge compared to PS1 (like the Valk in 2 is the size of a Lib in 1). And Gal's being shrunk down in size (or maybe tonks are too fat for it).

edited September 2014
    Is there actually any sort of chronology between Planetside 2 and Planetside 1? Because that would be dumb.

And the whole planets thing was also dumb. They had continents, and then they blew up the planet for reasons???? (aliens) and then they were different planets.

Garthor on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    No there is no chronology. PS2 is more like a reboot from plot perspective.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Is there actually any sort of chronology between Planetside 2 and Planetside 1? Because that would be dumb.

And the whole planets thing was also dumb. They had continents, and then they blew up the planet for reasons???? (aliens) and then they were different planets.

In short, they found Auraxis or whatever it's called. And now we're on one planet instead of like, 11. That's pretty much the story between the two. In the first one they were on a bunch of different planets looking to find Auraxis and map control. Here it's all, "Welp, we found it. So now all we have is map control."

nah, there's no continuity between the two games. The story behind PS2 (such as it is) is expedition goes through wormhole, then fractures when the wormhole closes and they can't go home.

I finished up my lightning directives the other night, so that was pretty exciting. The lumifiber is basically just the yellow 'bolt' pattern anybody can buy, but it's still pretty neat.

NREqxl5.jpg
    The story is pretty much the same as 1 then. I like mine better though. It's more fun because it has twice the wormholes.

And you know, everyone looooves wormholes. ;)

Again, the "whole buncha planets" thing wasn't the case when Planetside 1 launched. At one point they decided "continents are dumb" and blew up Auraxis.

So yeah, Valkyries are fun on a bun, as long as your pilot knows what he's doing. You do have to treat them like an attack helicopter... zip in, spray death, zoom out. They absolutely cannot stand off and fight, gotta hit and run. I had a great time last night as a passenger with my Pulsar and Lancer, got a ton of infantry kills and a couple tank kills, very satisfying.

I think the vals are interesting they are going to be one of those things that takes people a while to get used to. You cannot fly them like a liberator or a mossy and expect not to die horribly. Also they are much more useful in areas like hossin than they are on the more open areas the more ground clutter they can zip around and through the better luck you will have with them.

One reason to pull a val over a gal I don't think has been mentioned and that is resource cost. A val is much cheaper nannite wise than a gal is so we have more than a few times had to switch to pulling vals instead of gals because our main gal pilots did not have enough resources to pull theirs but could pull vals.

edited September 2014
    Wow, so, in the span of maybe a minute, I'm shotgun TK'd, spawn at a sundy and am immediately run over by another sundy, then squad deploy into a galaxy in flight and die (suicide) for no apparent reason.

Yup. That's enough for tonight :D

Fleeb on
    Ok, that was amusing. Must have jumped into Esamir just as warp gates rotated or something, because I spawned at the NC gate. Invincible so even though I got the "restricted area" warning I didn't die. Had a good time bopping around the area with my NC buddies :D

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

But what's the point of playing Vanu if you can't spend all day long having your character bitch about batteries?

wWuzwvJ.png