Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Plz be goeth to neweth thread

DashuiDashui Registered User regular
elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-logo.png

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat a dragon god who is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the land of Skyrim in the midst of a civil war after the assassination of the king. The open world gameplay of the Elder Scrolls series is continued in Skyrim, as the player character can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely.


Information & Tips

General performance tips: In the game's launcher, disable traditional anti-aliasing and enable FXAA instead. And under its View Distance tab, check the Object Detail Fade box.

Double Skyrim's maximum grass distance with (possibly) little to no performance loss! Open "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini" and change the "fGrassStartFadeDistance=" value from 7000 (its max in the launcher/in-game display options) to 14000. You won't see any difference between 14000 and higher values, but 7000 to 14000 is a fantastic improvement.

Increase Skyrim's grass density! Open "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini" and add "iMinGrassSize=20" under the [GRASS] heading.

How to use Bethesda's HD texture pack with all your current texture mods! Disable "HighResTexturePack01.esp" and "HighResTexturePack02.esp" in Skyrim's launcher. Next, open "steamapps\common\Skyrim\Skyrim_default.ini" and "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini" and change the following entry to look like this:

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa


Mods & Downloads

[SKYRIM]

If there's a mod not in this list that you feel should be, send me a PM and I'll check it out.

Most of the descriptions below have been taken from their pages.

Spoiler:


[MORROWIND]

Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics - MGSO installs all the latest audio and graphical mods to the game through an easy to use application. You choose from a variety of different mods, and can make changes later with the press of a button through the same application and without having to start a fresh game. Included is a very detailed readme that will guide you through the install and setup process.


Screenshots

YrG5d.jpg

LCxoD.jpg

Lp6K9.jpg

Dashui on
Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

steam_sig.png
Geth
«134567100

Posts

  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Orcs look damn good in this game, though.

    Big Classy
  • ArteenArteen I'm gonna clean up this world yet! Stop polluting!Registered User regular
    I hope the MMO is actually good, because I'd love to explore the entirety of Tamriel in a single game. Even in the limited capacity of an MMO, it still sounds like an exciting experience.

    sig_ap_001_zps3e5ddaa1.png
  • turtleantturtleant Registered User regular
    From the plot synopsis video that was posted it kinda sounds like it is going to take place in just Cyrodil, with the three factions invading and trying to take over. I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me.

    torterrasig_zpse6205192.png
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    From the plot synopsis video that was posted it kinda sounds like it is going to take place in just Cyrodil, with the three factions invading and trying to take over. I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me.

    Its the whole landmass

    Cyrodil is the main PvP area I believe

  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    So, I guess the MMO is going to be the first ES game where everyone is good looking.

  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Unpossible. Not even CHIM could make it so.

    steam_sig.png
    Steam: Megajoule
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ah what the FUCK hearthfire?!

    I put Ulfric's clothes on my mannequin, left my house, came back, mannequin is only wearing a hood. Other items? Totally gone. Arentino's Heirloom I positioned on a shelf? Gone. The dragon claws I put on a table? Gone.

    What the fuck.

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • FreiFrei Registered User regular
    haha, just had the best thing happen. Gunmar sent me to kill a vampire masquerading as a bard just outside of Winterhold. He's walking around outside and I talk to him outside the inn, try to persuade him to come with me, no dice. I hear a dragon cry, the guards and the vampire draw their swords, the dragon lands on the roof of the inn and immediately breathes directly on the vampire, killing it, and then flies off. Quest complete!

    also, Soul Tear is just such a ridiculously great shout. So overpowered.

    spare your face the razor, because no one's gonna spare the time for you.
    Mild ConfusionOpposingFarce
  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ah what the FUCK hearthfire?!

    I put Ulfric's clothes on my mannequin, left my house, came back, mannequin is only wearing a hood. Other items? Totally gone. Arentino's Heirloom I positioned on a shelf? Gone. The dragon claws I put on a table? Gone.

    What the fuck.
    Went to update the Unofficial Hearthfire Patch and noticed this in the changelog:
    MannequinActivatorSCRIPT.psc has been overhauled in order to finally fix the duplication glitches AND the tendency for mannequins to eat armor that's given to them.

    It was getting pretty annoying, what with the armory I built and all. Now whenever the Enhanced Lights and FX guy gets around to fixing the horrendous lighting in the Hearthfire houses, everything will be swell.

  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    After finally picking this up about nine days ago, it has absorbed my soul like so many dragons that have fallen before a Dragonborn. What's the deal with the Unofficial Patch(es)? Are they fixes that were eventually picked up and patched by Bethesda, or something I should get ASAP?

  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I don't like all of the Unofficial Patching, but some is pretty great. It's not official at all. Beth is uninvolved.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    After finally picking this up about nine days ago, it has absorbed my soul like so many dragons that have fallen before a Dragonborn. What's the deal with the Unofficial Patch(es)? Are they fixes that were eventually picked up and patched by Bethesda, or something I should get ASAP?

    Some of their fixes have been incorporated into actual patches, which is why you really need to update it regularly (thankfully, it's not hard, and not advertised as needing a clean save).

    They DO take some liberties, so be prepared for some controversial changes (like adding subtitles to dragons, etc.).

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    After finally picking this up about nine days ago, it has absorbed my soul like so many dragons that have fallen before a Dragonborn. What's the deal with the Unofficial Patch(es)? Are they fixes that were eventually picked up and patched by Bethesda, or something I should get ASAP?

    Some of their fixes have been incorporated into actual patches, which is why you really need to update it regularly (thankfully, it's not hard, and not advertised as needing a clean save).

    They DO take some liberties, so be prepared for some controversial changes (like adding subtitles to dragons, etc.).

    Is that what made the first dragon you fight actually speak? It was kind of annoying.

    camo_sig2.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Wait, really? The subtitles for dragons are added by the Unofficial Patches? That's interesting. I was sure it was in the base game, for some reason.

    I'm also confused about why that's controversial. Multiple in-game sources talk about how for dragons, there's no difference between combat and a verbal debate since they produce magical effects through their speech. They use the same shouts that you as the player do; why shouldn't they have subtitles?

    Unless those subtitles read "Hi d00d", or "Hey what's up I just ate a mammoth lol". That would be more immersion-breaking.

    weapon_rex.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Wait, really? The subtitles for dragons are added by the Unofficial Patches? That's interesting. I was sure it was in the base game, for some reason.

    I'm also confused about why that's controversial. Multiple in-game sources talk about how for dragons, there's no difference between combat and a verbal debate since they produce magical effects through their speech. They use the same shouts that you as the player do; why shouldn't they have subtitles?

    Unless those subtitles read "Hi d00d", or "Hey what's up I just ate a mammoth lol". That would be more immersion-breaking.

    I've fought 3 dragons in my current game (first scripted one and 2 random ones), and only the first one spoke. It sounded pretty crappy, though (it was too loud, poor quality (sound and acting), and obviously pitch-shifted to make it sound deeper). I didn't catch most of what he said, but when I landed the killing blow he said, "Dovahkiin, nooooo!" which just felt weird and out of place.

    In the intro the dragon there has subtitles for when he does his attacks, and it's fine.

    Sir Carcass on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    That first dragon you kill (for the story) always said that for me, it was just never voiced. Subtitles were always there.

    3DS: 1118-0244-2697
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Man. Thank god I installed that immersive weapons thing. Ever since I found a quarterstaff my hammer-focused lady feels actually useful.

    Steam ID: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/Drascin">Drascin</a>
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Subtitles wouldn't bother me, but if something I download adds voices to the dragons I will quit the game, delete the mod with extreme prejudice, and reload the previous save to pretend that it never happened.

  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I wanted to like Immersive Weapons but some of those weapons are of dubious quality and are not lore friendly.

    steam_sig.png
    Darmak
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I don't like all of the Unofficial Patching, but some is pretty great. It's not official at all. Beth is uninvolved.

    That makes it good, right?

    :P

    PLAZilla360
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    The first dragon you fight has subtitles, and in all versions of the game except the English version it is voiced. The Unofficial Patch adds an English voice but the voice acting is shitty.

  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I wanted to like Immersive Weapons but some of those weapons are of dubious quality and are not lore friendly.

    I didn't find a lot of things that struck me as entirely out of line with the general "feel" of the game, myself. Some of them are probably not lore-strict, butas long as it looks like it fits in a TES game I'm game.

    Steam ID: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/Drascin">Drascin</a>
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Wait, subtitles to dragons? I'd love that!

    "Sup dragon-bro."

    "Rawr in shit! Whatcha doing?"

    "Nada, just gonna go roar some dragon-shit talk to the dovahkin, then maybe eat some peeps."

    "Word."

    KetBra
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Dragon-talk is a bit inconsistent. Dragons being bilingual or something is a factor, but sometimes there are subtitles and sometimes there aren't.
    PLA wrote: »
    I don't like all of the Unofficial Patching, but some is pretty great. It's not official at all. Beth is uninvolved.

    That makes it good, right?

    :P

    Not only good. It wouldn't exist if Beth weren't so uninvolved.
    Spoiler:

  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    Wait, subtitles to dragons? I'd love that!

    "Sup dragon-bro."

    "Rawr in shit! Whatcha doing?"

    "Nada, just gonna go roar some dragon-shit talk to the dovahkin, then maybe eat some peeps."

    "Word."
    They're already in the original game for Murmalur or whatever the fuck that one dragon's name is.

  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Mirmulnir.

    My rings are still invisible! D:

  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Unrelated to the patches: it drives me insane how whenever the dragons talk to the player, every once in a while they insert a word in the dragon language, and then immediately say the English translation of that word right after. Bilingual people don't talk like that (I know because I am one). No one talks like that.

    weapon_rex.jpg
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    The first dragon you fight has subtitles, and in all versions of the game except the English version it is voiced.

    Yeah, it was weird fighting it at first and seeing a subtitle for "Yol" pop up with no one speaking around me. It was the dragon using the word of power for fire when it was breathing.

    5gsowHm.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Unrelated to the patches: it drives me insane how whenever the dragons talk to the player, every once in a while they insert a word in the dragon language, and then immediately say the English translation of that word right after. Bilingual people don't talk like that (I know because I am one). No one talks like that.

    See, I always saw that as "oh wait this isn't actually a dragon this is some random human thing person.

    they're probably really fucking stupid, even if they can eat my soul."

    UA1OmVB.png
  • Maz-Maz- World's waiting for you, kid. Registered User regular
    So we've finally got a release date, eh?

    What's the verdict on Dragonborn, 360 players?

    Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Subtitles wouldn't bother me, but if something I download adds voices to the dragons I will quit the game, delete the mod with extreme prejudice, and reload the previous save to pretend that it never happened.

    Hey! I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure it's the mod: "Fuz Ru Doh". A mod that adds subtitles to non-voiced dialog, dozens of other major mods now require it (Several of the "basic needs" packs make use of it) or ask for it. It makes that first dragon say things in a...as you said, a pitch shifted, auto-tuned, poorly shouted at the mic...way. I swore it even used lines riped from the LOTR movie or something. It was terrible.

    If you don't have that mod, than it must be something else we both have installed. Because I know exactly what you're talking about. I swore it was Fuz Ru Doh though...

  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    I noticed that scripted dragon talking too in my latest play through the game, and was pretty confused by it. I had thought perhaps it was the 'Interesting NPC' mod I installed, but I'm pretty sure that mod just adds new NPCs to the game, rather than modifying existing ones.

    Whatever it is, the voice acting is complete shit and it annoys me greatly that someone thought that was good enough to add into a mod that isn't specifically meant for that purpose. Fortunately, it seems it's only that one dragon which is voice acted, so at least I don't have to hear it again.

  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Subtitles wouldn't bother me, but if something I download adds voices to the dragons I will quit the game, delete the mod with extreme prejudice, and reload the previous save to pretend that it never happened.

    Hey! I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure it's the mod: "Fuz Ru Doh". A mod that adds subtitles to non-voiced dialog, dozens of other major mods now require it (Several of the "basic needs" packs make use of it) or ask for it. It makes that first dragon say things in a...as you said, a pitch shifted, auto-tuned, poorly shouted at the mic...way. I swore it even used lines riped from the LOTR movie or something. It was terrible.

    If you don't have that mod, than it must be something else we both have installed. Because I know exactly what you're talking about. I swore it was Fuz Ru Doh though...

    I don't have Fuz Ru Doh, unless another mod included it. My thought was also Interesting NPCs, but I also have the unofficial patches.

    camo_sig2.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I do not have Interesting NPCs...I'm at a loss.

  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Wish my stupid henchmen would stop killing guards when I pay my fines. Also wish Calm worked on stupid henchmen. Also wish stupid henchmen weren't immune to dialogue while killing guards.

    PLA on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Argh. SkyRe, why you so good, but you're broken in like the one key place where I need you to function (summoning my undead minions to me)? What's the point of gearing these guys up if they're just going to disappear at random, never to be seen or heard from again?


  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Wish my stupid henchmen would stop killing guards when I pay my fines. Also wish Calm worked on stupid henchmen. Also wish stupid henchmen weren't immune to dialogue while killing guards.

    My henchman got into a fight with my horse last night. I was not pleased.

  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    This is what a Batman-villain must feel like.

    Yay, rings again! Whoa, Bone Hawk Ring looks like some kind of knuckling-device?

  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Argh. SkyRe, why you so good, but you're broken in like the one key place where I need you to function (summoning my undead minions to me)? What's the point of gearing these guys up if they're just going to disappear at random, never to be seen or heard from again?

    Ahh the undead henchmen, one of the things I really did like about SkyRe. Not so much the disappearing part, though it was funny that sometimes, long after I thought one was gone, it would come toddling up out of nowhere and rejoin me.

«134567100
Sign In or Register to comment.