As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mechwarrior Online: THIS IS THE OLD THREAD. GO AWAY!

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Stabbity Style, what is that hella awesome build you have there in the Stalker 5M?

It's a Stalker 5S, not 5M.

4 Large Lasers
    4 SRM6 + Artemis
    Dual Heatsinks (as many as you can fit)
    BAP
    5 tons of SRM ammo
    Missing about 1/2 ton armor in the legs, but full armor everywhere else

Large lasers are split into firing groups of 2 and the SRMs all fire together.
    Why the BAP?

I haven't played since the last patch, but I've never found it to be terribly useful. I've only thrown it on when I had a few extra tons and couldn't upgrade the engine any further.

None of your weapons require a lock, so I'm curious why you equipped it.

I like the extra target range. It was either that or another ton of SRM ammo, which I didn't really need.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I was using Fraps, but I'm experimenting with MSI Afterburner right now and am loving it WAY more than Fraps.

1.) It's free.
    2.) It uses way less resources and is a lot less intrusive when you hit that magic record button.
    3.) It automatically converts the video into whatever resolution you want.
    4.) Automatically encodes the video as it records it to cut down on file size.
    5.) Comes with some other neat toys since MSI Afterburner is also a graphics card overclocker and benchmarker so you can get some extra information included with the usual fps counter if you want.

Apparently Dxtory is even better but it involves a fair amount of setup and costs forty bucks so fuck that noise. I'll record some footage later on with both fraps and msi for comparison if you want.

Dang, just tried MSI Afterburner; it really is enormously better than FRAPs for recording. Can't get the on-screen overlay to work, though; does it have that?

Yup, you have you go to Settings -> Monitoring and then go to the Active Hardware Monitoring Graphs and scroll all the way down. Then click on the check mark for framerate, and then make sure Show In On-Screen Display is checked under Framerate Graph Properties. That should do it.
    EDIT: Also, you may want to hit the key you bound to toggling it if it still doesn't want to show up on its own after that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    I would personally chuck on the double AMS and a tonne of AMS ammo instead, though that does add up to another tonne.

No crit slots on the AMS sections

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I was using Fraps, but I'm experimenting with MSI Afterburner right now and am loving it WAY more than Fraps.

1.) It's free.
    2.) It uses way less resources and is a lot less intrusive when you hit that magic record button.
    3.) It automatically converts the video into whatever resolution you want.
    4.) Automatically encodes the video as it records it to cut down on file size.
    5.) Comes with some other neat toys since MSI Afterburner is also a graphics card overclocker and benchmarker so you can get some extra information included with the usual fps counter if you want.

Apparently Dxtory is even better but it involves a fair amount of setup and costs forty bucks so fuck that noise. I'll record some footage later on with both fraps and msi for comparison if you want.

Dang, just tried MSI Afterburner; it really is enormously better than FRAPs for recording. Can't get the on-screen overlay to work, though; does it have that?

Yup, you have you go to Settings -> Monitoring and then go to the Active Hardware Monitoring Graphs and scroll all the way down. Then click on the check mark for framerate, and then make sure Show In On-Screen Display is checked under Framerate Graph Properties. That should do it.
    EDIT: Also, you may want to hit the key you bound to toggling it if it still doesn't want to show up on its own after that.

Got it going, thanks.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Feeling pretty good. 1st match since octoboer, got 1 kill, 5 assists and 320+ damage in an oosik 8man.
    next match, i got 95 damage trying to shoot an ecm raven *_* still, took some lrm hits for the team while they engaged the bulk of the enemy.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I wonder what the 8-man metagame is like now that the lag shield has been diminished.

I wonder what the 8-man metagame is like now that the lag shield has been diminished.

Eight assault mechs instead seven and a scout.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Good shot, Stabbity.

Pretty sure you hit Kaboodles with that entire SRM salvo. :P

Ninja Snarl P on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    8 mans is always good times. mostly... except when get rolled game after game.

kx3klFE.png
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Just purchased my first mech a Jenner JR7-K. Any suggestions on what to change on the loadout?

PixelMonkey on
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Guys, what are some good Awesome builds? It's one of my favorite mechs, but I just can't get good games out of it. I currently have an 8Q.

edited January 2013
    Just purchased my first mech a Jenner JR7-K. Any suggestions on what to change on the loadout?

... sell it and buy the JR7-F or D. you grabbed the worst of the bunch. :(

but really, XL300 and LASERS! not a whole lot you can do with the Jenners.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    4X parties are the best parties.

kx3klFE.png

Change the JR7-K to a -D and you're golden. :-p

Seriously though, save up for a bigger engine, like an XL 300, go four medium lasers and either a streak SRM2 launcher or an SRM 6 and you should do well. Avoid jump jets. They're kind of a waste of tonnage except on the Spider.

Double Heat Sinks should be high on the list if you plan on keeping the mech and not just level it.

Get that thing to go fast, avoid getting shot at, and you'll do fine.

edited January 2013
    Out of curiosity what's wrong with the Jenner JR7-K?

PixelMonkey on
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Hitting light mechs is amazing.

I try to pack all of my deeply ingrained hatred of them into every salvo. Etched on the casing for each SRM and autocannon round: "Sincerely, Stormgut".

I think... I think I might actually be OK with spending money on the game again, now.

It has one less hard point than the Jenner D, and the only real upside is that it comes stock with Ferro Fibrous armor, but it's so cheap to upgrade its really not much of an upside. It's required if you want to elite Jenners, though.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I was having the itch to get a new mech, but I think I'm fine without. I'll save cash munnie for Jaeger mechs in march.

But I'm dying for a Highlander. That and the Awesome are my two favorite IS assault mechs.

OpposingFarce on
    It has one less hard point than the Jenner D, and the only real upside is that it comes stock with Ferro Fibrous armor, but it's so cheap to upgrade its really not much of an upside. It's required if you want to elite Jenners, though.
    Righto, still have to say I love piloting light mechs.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh man, so a K2 with an XL engine and 2xLLAS, 2xUAC5 is great fun for midrange brawling.

• ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I hope there's not any misunderstanding with my post. Tonight is the first I've played since they patched the netcode. Not sure how long you've been playing, but suffice to say that light mechs used to be nigh impossible to register hits on due to flawed netcode. You literally had to aim your instantly-hitting lasers at an empty space significantly ahead of where the light mech was on your screen. It was common to see a single Jenner take out multiple heavies and assaults in a single round because of how impossible it was to predict where their hitbox actually was.

I still residually hate light mechs because of their months-long reign of terror, but they're pretty legit now.

Toasticus wrote: »
    Hitting light mechs is amazing.

I try to pack all of my deeply ingrained hatred of them into every salvo. Etched on the casing for each SRM and autocannon round: "Sincerely, Stormgut".

I think... I think I might actually be OK with spending money on the game again, now.
    I've actually had an issue with months of repressed anger coming out during matches in which I switch targets the minute I see a light JUST to gauss rifle those little shitcocks right in the face because fuck them.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    I played a few matches for the first time in a couple weeks, and as it turns out without lag armor I can't hit anything. This is going to take some adjustment.

Toward the end I did start landing a few very choice quintuple PPC hits on light 'mechs, though. It's always satisfying to disintegrate a metal baby as soon as he pops around the corner.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Blargh.. You guys never seem to be on vent during the times when I can play.

Damned graveyard shift..

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'll be on later tonight. Hopefully we can do groups of 8 men.

I know what I said.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GogDogGogDog Registered User regular
    Last night was fun...like many, it was the first time for me doing 8 mans. I think we did well....we either got steamrolled or we steamrolled them. Very lopsided matches. I know the first match we lost b/c we had half our team in medium mechs including myself...but we fixed that quickly. Am I correct in that with 8 man matchmaking there is no weight matching like there is in pubby matches? For example, in a pubby match, if I bring a medium that means the matchmaker will put me with another medium...but since there are way less 8 mans they just put you with whatever other 8 man they can find? Which is why we just switched to pretty much heavies and assaults?

Gogdog_zps44bc786f.png
    GogDog wrote: »
    Last night was fun...like many, it was the first time for me doing 8 mans. I think we did well....we either got steamrolled or we steamrolled them. Very lopsided matches. I know the first match we lost b/c we had half our team in medium mechs including myself...but we fixed that quickly. Am I correct in that with 8 man matchmaking there is no weight matching like there is in pubby matches? For example, in a pubby match, if I bring a medium that means the matchmaker will put me with another medium...but since there are way less 8 mans they just put you with whatever other 8 man they can find? Which is why we just switched to pretty much heavies and assaults?

No weight matching in 8 mans. I've been avoiding them a long time because of the excessive min maxing.

So now that TOGSolid kindly pointed out MSI Afternburner and I can record without FRAPs making my system crap itself, here's my first video using that setup. It involves sweet, sweet facemurder and lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srum-B4J4no&feature=youtu.be

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Holy shit those are well timed SRMs Nijna.

Maybe I'll build a Sprinturion instead of elite'ing the Cataphract...

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Out of curiosity what's wrong with the Jenner JR7-K?

JR7-D - (4 Energy + 2 Missile + 1 Anti Missile) - 2 Module
    JR7-F - (6 Energy + 1 Anti Missile) - 1 Module
    JR7-K - (4 Energy + 1 Missile + 1 Anti Missile) - 3 Modules

Well the main problem with starting with a JR7-K is that you are automatically down one missile slot in comparison to the JR7-D, all for an additional stock Module slot compared to the JR7-D. It really doesn't matter if you plan on piloting a 4LAS + 1 SRM 6 build or something along those lines, but the JR7-D is a lot more versatile when it comes to missile loadouts. That is fine, if you want to a Jenner that is essentially neutered until you get the GXP to unlock 3 modules, in which time you will have mastered every Jenner, as well as 3 or 4 other mechs.

Like Hydro said, there isn't much you can do with a a Jenner, so the number of hard points are pretty critical compared to other, larger builds, where you're trading hardpoint types instead of losing hardpoints for module slots (which are fairly useless for you right now).

It probably isn't worth selling the JR7-K right now, since you wont get much of your money back, and the Jenners are among the most affordable mechs, but make your next purchase the JR7-D or the JR7-F and see what fits your style. I mastered my K, and sold it shortly after.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited January 2013
    So now that TOGSolid kindly pointed out MSI Afternburner and I can record without FRAPs making my system crap itself, here's my first video using that setup. It involves sweet, sweet facemurder and lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srum-B4J4no&feature=youtu.be

Damn fine work sir, that video is definitely making me miss my old 4SP shenanigans.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    Is MSI afterburner the best program for recording games? I'm interested in doing this.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Is MSI afterburner the best program for recording games? I'm interested in doing this.

Dxtory is generally regarded as top tier but it costs money and involves a lot more fiddling with to get it running. MSI annhilates Fraps, is free, and takes just a minute to setup so it's pretty much my recommendation for everyone from here on out.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    8-Man was fun :D

Those matches went really well, aside from the first match where we learned "killbox" is called that for a reason. We lucked out, avoiding super minmaxers and fought coordinated teams using mechs they like, instead - kind of how it should be. When we lost, it was because we made bad tactical decisions.

It reminded me I do need to write down some builds I really like, since my Cataphracts were in various stages of experimenting and I didn't have time to cobble together something good for all of them off the top of my head. Saved loadouts would be nice, PGI...

VT09mOz.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The extent to which a single ECM can make LRMs completely useless is kind of obnoxious when your favorite mech to run is an LRM fire support mech.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Forbe! wrote: »

Dxtory is generally regarded as top tier but it costs money and involves a lot more fiddling with to get it running. MSI annhilates Fraps, is free, and takes just a minute to setup so it's pretty much my recommendation for everyone from here on out.
    Your mileage may vary. FRAPS performs much better than MSI Afterburner for me in a lot of cases.

Whoa, when did AC2s get buffed to be almost as powerful as UAC5s? O_O

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Their fire rate was buffed a while ago. Their main issue now is that they get super, super hot. They're also somewhat hard to consistently hit with, especially in a CTF-4X, so you'll be spreading your damage all over the place.

sXXjb1B.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would just like to mention, with regards to Jenner builds, that swapping out one MLas for a TAG may be pretty worthwhile. Primarily because you will be able to more fully field the role of a scout mech but also because you will reap the benefits of accuracy bonuses to your sweet, sweet SRM lovings.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |