As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey IV:Finally out in Europe. EO I Remake demo, 9/16 on US eshop

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Actually, a Beast is pretty good at increasing the survivability of a foraging Survivalist-party. Fetch is a much better fit than Mine.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Uh. Wow. Imp/Bushi. Things die.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Uh. Wow. Imp/Bushi. Things die.

To be fair, Imp makes things die, period. One shot final boss? SURE!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I'm basing my post Imp unlock dungeon party on this:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/EtrianOdyssey/comments/1xq4eg/optimized_classes_in_eo4_spoilers/.compact

I/B F/M B/N
    A/M R/I

The only problem being that its a 99/99 build and I'm in my mid 50s with my chars having retired in their 30s-50s. Still, it seems to be mmostly working save for the lack of heals.

• Options
    I've been a fan of Fortress/Medic since before day 1.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Ha, looks like I necro bumped this at the exact right moment, heh. Wonder if EO5 is in production too? And hey, Persona Q is coming soon as well. Its been a good year for Wizardry clo--descendants.

In EO4 I just unlocked subclassing. I... Might have abused the fact that you can turn FOEs into 5x XP rares with rare food and the fact that guest party members don't count for xp calcs. Need to retire again to fix it, heh.

I know I have 2 classes to unlock soon, wonder how that will affect my party choices. I am not really feeling the Linking Landshark, for example...

I ran a Land/Rune as my primary damage dealer for a long while, and kept at it for a little while after getting the Imperials because the amount of damage you can do once the preparation was set up is insane. It also felt nice with the team buying time and putting down the groundwork, then the Linkshark takes the lead and everyone goes in on a massive group assault.

Once I got the Imperials, I did the number crunch and worked out a Land/Imperial was just as effective as a Linkshark and had the double advantage of not needing full party cooperation and being more self-sufficient in TP management. My final party is
    F/D L/I I/R
    M/D S/A
    Two frontline gunblade users tag teaming blowing crap up; a Fortress to really soak up damage, buff the frontlines and be the leader in using the bursts,;Medic for medic and buffing duties and the Sniper giving binds support and shutting off priority targets while being really economical with TP consumption. The Landsknect with Vanguard basically buffs any damage that follows it, especially its partner Imperial so two Drives going off in a single round can exterminate anything on the first/second round even if they're on the back row. And the really nice thing with Imperials is that their combo chains make them rather self-sufficient unless I go crazy and Drive -> Heat Sink into Ignition so I can power on endlessly without having to go back to town unless my bags are full of loot.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I wouldn't underestimate Nightseekers, Poison Throw and Swift Edge do crazy damage, and don't really need a whole bunch of setup. Ended up using two for the final boss, haha.

I need to get back to Untold, been away for ages and I don't think I even beat the third stratum.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I kind of burned out on untold as well due to going at it right after EO4. Really should go back and finish it, some of the classes looked like they had fun combos later on.

• Options
    Well, this party isn't doing super great in the 5th maze. I got my Imp/bushi to 70 and retired him. He's about 50 now. I rested the rest of my party and focused more on heal skills on my fort and arc. Still not feeling terribly strong, although seeing my I/B blast things is kinda neat.

• Options
    At the boss of the 5th maze in EO4, can't break past him. Going to level some I guess. Thank God for sheep.

• Options
    Heavenbringer down! Now, for the post game grind and or moving on to EOU

• Options
    My enjoyment of EOU is hindered by how much less I can customize builds.

• Options
    Been playing EOU on the bus to/from work. Had a coworker in a suit (likely a hotel operator, less likely a manager/director) slap me on the shoulder and go "Hey, is that Conception 2?"

Yeah, I'd totally play THAT on a bus. Right after finishing Senran Kagura or Monster Monpiece. (Besides, I had left my Vita at home.)

Er, anyway. I'm enjoying EOU. Very fast paced in comparison to even EO4. I love the Dash and Super speed combat when running/autobattleing. Some of the monsters are bullshit, like the monkeys on Floor 2. Is there a good build for the story mode classes in this? I never really got that far in EO1. The protector seems a bit ass (no Party Shield!?), and the Medic defaults to the front row which seems like a really stupid idea. And what the hell, no poison for the Alchemist?!
    I really like how the Protector comes from the far off country of "Ontario." I had the plot twist kinda teased at me, but this is just... Wow.

• Options
    EOU hit me at the time when I just finished EO4 so I was pretty sated with that sort of game, and the demo really didn't impress me with the fixed characters. I think I might go back and give the demo another try...

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Isn't there a classic mode?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

Grimiore stones are no substitute for subclassing.

• Options

I have a dirty secret: I actually kinda like the Grimiore stone system better, at least in theory. More customization after quite a bit more work. I'm sure I'll learn to hate it soon enough.

On floor 5. This is way faster than the original. I can't decide on builds for anyone, so right now I'm going fire on my alchemist (where's my poison? :( ), and maxxing out the weapon trees on everyone. The highlander is the one that's really giving me fits, I can't quite figure out his angle. Everything costs HP and TP, but he gets it back? It's odd.

• Options
    Grim-stones certainly allow some pretty wild customisation. But geez, RNG.

• Options
    Ah, apparently you can't just keep going down the 2nd strata and ignore that damned invisible boss in Area 1. Silly gunner girl refuses to let you. Hm.

I really haven't made use of the Grim stones yet. I hear one good way to do it is to speciailize in like, Take 10 or Prayer 10 or Focus 10 or what have you, get a Grimoire of it, then drop that skill like a hot potato for the rest of the game.

Anyone know how to make heads or tails of it? Is there a way to get like, Landshark skills in story mode on Grimoires? Is there a specific way to try and get enemy skills? Any enemy skills worth aiming for early on?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Demon Gaze's Artifact system is the same concept as Grimore Stones, but actually done right.

5 Slots per character to equip special accessories that either give a class a single passive from another class, a single or small set of themed active skills from another class, or a unique artifact-only passive. Lots and lots of customization with very little RNG (except for in what order you unlock artifacts.

Hopefully the remake of 2 improves the Grimiore system.

• Options

Demon Gaze's Artifact system is the same concept as Grimore Stones, but actually done right.

5 Slots per character to equip special accessories that either give a class a single passive from another class, a single or small set of themed active skills from another class, or a unique artifact-only passive. Lots and lots of customization with very little RNG (except for in what order you unlock artifacts.

The problem with the Artefacts were that they were too powerful. Classes were left rather diluted since the big thing they had going for them were made rather available via the artefacts.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Takel wrote: »

The problem with the Artefacts were that they were too powerful. Classes were left rather diluted since the big thing they had going for them were made rather available via the artefacts.

Well, exactly as you point out, it was a different form of multi-classing. The biggest deal with DG was the Equipment options. Fighters, for example, get some legit two-handed exclusive weapons for example you can have them monkey grip and dual wield.

But that lovable skill breadth that pick-and-choose systems allow makes it easier to play my playstyle in Dungeon Crawlers of "F' primary reactionary healers and pure-meatshields, I don't want them in my party." I prefer a playstyle of active defensives and much higher dps capability than the safe traditional party.

EO3? My front-line was two robots and either a fantastic beast summon (<3 Wildlings), a temporary shadow sacrifice, or a Ninja/Princess double.
    EO4? Two Landsharks is all the tanking I need, combined with lots of status effects and bind skills. Arcanist for healing.

Demon Gaze? Rawr smash Fighter, Offensive support Gazer, evasion god sneak-attacking Ninja, backrow sniping and support skill Ranger, and god of support and AoE nuker Wizard. No full on tank or healer class again. Never have once had an issue with this party. Wizard also has healing magic. Ninja, Ranger, and Wizard all know different single-turn AoE defense abilities. Gazer and Ranger have support abilities. Debuff/Buff SMT style and unload on a boss with a potential of 5+1 damage dealers.

I just... don't like Paladins/Hoplites/Defenders and pure Healbots so I finesse my way around them. I like hybrid classes. I like technical classes. I like synergy and overlap over defined roles.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    I'm more of a Fortress/Medic armoured ambulance kind of guy.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    PLA wrote: »
    I'm more of a Fortress/Medic armoured ambulance kind of guy.

See, that's a combined role I can get behind. I don't like sacrificing 2/5th (or 2/6th on 6 party member games) on a pure situation tank and healbot, but one slot who can actually do both? Sure, I'm down with that.

Me, I like Landshark/Medic for the "Every attack after this one does increased damage" ability on an actual offensive class.

...Say. Did anyone else ever run through EO3 with both Robots and Wildlings in their party or am I the only crazy one?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Bushi is my favorite class in EOIV. Just give no shits, constant HP/TP refills going on.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Remake of EO II, rather.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    No, this is on the Japanese Etrian Odyssey site, where there's already the EO2 remake site attached to these new sites. Of note is that for the "x" site, the bubble with "IX" inside now counts down to "VI" as it floats around. So I suppose we will find out what things are all about in a week, perhaps.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Nobody knows the D.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Turns out it was EOV, and a Etrian Odyssey cross over with the Mystery Dungeon series.

• Options
    V interests me more than another remake.

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    V interests me more than another remake.

Normally I'd agree, but I could really go for an EO3 remake. I couldn't care less about the EO2 remake, but EO3? Yes, please.

• Options
    3 is the one that needs more polish.

• Options
    Multiple playthroughs to unlock stuff with no shortcuts kept was the worst.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I really love Atlus.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Turns out it was EOV, and a Etrian Odyssey cross over with the Mystery Dungeon series.

An EO Roguelike? Dear fucking god. Will the game try to shank you when you pick it up?

Also... I don't believe they use the term Etrian Odyssey in Japanese, right? It's Sekaiju no Meikyuu instead? So literally the only reason "Etrian Odyssey" is in the title image there is because they're going to localize this... right?

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Crossover with Mystery Dungeon is hype, but I have a feeling it will ask me if I have a heart condition and then attempt to defibrillate me upon receiving my answer, whatever my answer was.

EVEN IN THE MYSTERY DUNGEON
    FOE

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."