As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engadget "confirms" black Xbox 360 Elite, w/ 120 GB and HDMI

• Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    “We don’t feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing,” he said. “We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”

John Rodman, Product Manager, Xbox - in an interview with the New York Times.

It looks like stupid execs aren't Playstation exclusive any longer either.

:lol:

I think that's one thing they welcome a multi-platform stance on. ;-)

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    “We don’t feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing,” he said. “We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”

I'll see if I can actually access any of the sites from work, but Reggie made some pretty damned similar statements (in tone) about the 360 recently in an interview. Sorry man, all three companies are pretty good at being douchebags about the competition in interviews. There isn't an innocent one among them.

Aoi on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

I'll see if I can actually access any of the sites from work, but Reggie made some pretty damned similar statements (in tone) about the 360 recently in an interview. Sorry man, all three companies are pretty good at being douchebags about the competition in interviews. There isn't an innocent one among them.

But Reggie is Reggie and most people consider Nintendo "trash talk" as an earned right. They have endured the onslaught of beratement generation after generation, why can't they talk back?

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, wait. This ISN'T limited edition? Is the Core sticking around, or being phased out?

Blagh. So much for any hopes for a price cut. In fact, this is the first time that a console's price has gone UP, in a way. Bad, bad move. The mass market won't embrace any console priced over $400, no matter who makes it. Yes, the cheaper option is still there, but this is going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bombboy wrote: »

But Reggie is Reggie and most people consider Nintendo "trash talk" as an earned right. They have endured the onslaught of beratement generation after generation, why can't they talk back?

Its not really the same thing. Some MS guy made a comment that for the cost of a PS3, you could get a 360 AND a Wii. Someone asked Reggie what he thought about that, and he said he doesn't want customers to buy a 360 and a Wii because that money spent on the 360 is money not spent on Wii games and accessories. That's not really a dickish thing to say. Saying that only the littlelest of children could be interested in the Wii is cockmongerish.

Dirty on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, wait. This ISN'T limited edition? Is the Core sticking around, or being phased out?

Blagh. So much for any hopes for a price cut. In fact, this is the first time that a console's price has gone UP, in a way. Bad, bad move. The mass market won't embrace any console priced over $400, no matter who makes it. Yes, the cheaper option is still there, but this is going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

The Elite is limited, but after a short time the Premium will have everything that the Elite does, except it will be the normal white instead of black. I'm thinking the price wont drop and they'll just justify it by saying you're now getting more for the same price.

Veevee on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

The Elite is limited, but after a short time the Premium will have everything that the Elite does, except it will be the normal white instead of black. I'm thinking the price wont drop and they'll just justify it by saying you're now getting more for the same price.

If that's true, it would be a truly fucking stupid move for the company. Suddenly people who blow off Blu-ray because it comes at a $100-$200 premium might be tempted to give it a try if it's only $20 more.

Or would people say "fuck it" to both consoles?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That was the initial rumor, but the official word from Microsoft is that it's not limited, and that they intend to maintain three models, of which they expect the Premium to remain the most popular, mid-range model, then have the low-end and high-end models, too.

gilrain on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    gilrain wrote: »

That was the initial rumor, but the official word from Microsoft is that it's not limited, and that they intend to maintain three models, of which they expect the Premium to remain the most popular, mid-range model, then have the low-end and high-end models, too.

To be fair, I wouldn't expect them to say "Hey, we're gonna drop the price of this brand new model in a couple months, but please go ahead and waste $80. Pretty Please?"

So hopefully its just corporate BS and they're not really that dumb

DesertBox on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

If that's their stance, they really should have made the Elite model more high end. Throw in Wi-Fi, or even built in HD-DVD Drive for movies.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    $180 for a 120-gig hard drive is highway robbery.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    That is about par for the course for notebook drives. They could have made it 40GB larger though.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    That is about par for the course for notebook drives. They could have made it 40GB larger though.

But still highway robbery for desktop harddrives. especially considering the openness of teh PS3 and the ability to use USB drives.

DesertChicken on
    PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
  • Options
    edited March 2007

That's Best Buy. Here's a $82 120GB notebook drive, or a $105 160GB notebook drive. So it's at least doubling the price.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

But this isn't a notebook HDD. It's SATA + shitty plastic.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It is a 2.5" hard drive, which is notebook size. Still, it's incredibly overpriced.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

If it's the interview I'm recalling, he was asked about how the Wii's sales were comparing to the 360 in Europe. He said that based on his figures, the Wii was selling consistently well across Europe, while the 360 was selling great in the UK, but not as good on the continent.

Then all the games sites ran headlines like "Reggie gets arrogant, says the 360 is failing in mainland Europe!!!!111!".

Basically, all the games sites seem to be waiting for Nintendo to say something vaguely arrogant so they can pounce on it.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Which is a real shame and the worst type of sensationalist journalism.

The whole "gaming news" industry really makes my head hurt at times.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just for my own edification, this 360 is not the 65nm redesign?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yup

bruin on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I just tossed the following email off to Xbox. I know it won't make much of a difference, but it really bothers me when execs start insulting consumers.
    I'm not sure if I picked the right email address to contact; I tried to find a direct email for Mr. Rodman himself, but didn't have much luck. Since this is all related to a recent Xbox Press release, though, I thought this email address was as good as any. If I've chosen horrible wrongly, please forward this email to the proper party, Thanks.

First, to introduce myself, my name is Evan Rosenberg, and I am a 22 year old college student. I've been a "gamer" as far back as I can remember, my father having raised me on PC games, and since the NES always having a video game console in the home. Currently I own (in addition to my PC, running Windows XP Pro) a Wii and an Xbox. When I bought my Xbox (of the limited edition Halo green variety) I hadn't owned any other console personally in a little while, and until the launch of the Wii it was my only home console. I have always been very happy with it, and with the Xbox Live service. When the Xbox 360 launched I couldn't justify the expense, and put off the purchase until there were more games for the 360 that I wanted. However, I bought a Wii at launch due to the relatively cheap price point, the full backwards compatibility, and the number of games I wanted within the launch window alone.

Recently, I have been looking at the current line-up for the 360, and contemplating a purchase in the near future. The rumors of the 360 Elite model got my attention as I am also in the market for an HD TV, and HDMI output on a 360 would be a bonus there. However, reading Mr. Rodman's comments in the New York Times disgusted me, and made me reconsider whether or not I truely want to support a company that behaves in such a way. The comments in question are as follows:

“We don’t feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing...we think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”

Now, I understand that a certain level of corporate rhetoric is always to be expected. My field of study is Financial Economics, and I normally enjoy watching rhetoric fly between various companies. My issue with Mr. Rodman's statement, however, is that he is not attacking Nintendo, but rather, he is attacking consumers such as myself. His implication that the only people interested in the Wii are children offends me, for obvious reasons. I would not expect an Xbox representative to heap praise on a competitor's product, but I would imagine that it would be possible to represent a dichotomy of purpose between the two systems without resorting to name calling, ESPECIALLY directed at consumers.

I would appreciate it if Xbox would attempt to be less careless in what they say in the future. I am still considering a purchase of an Xbox 360, because I have had good experiences with the Xbox line of products and services in the past, but I have to say that I am putting off that decision until a later date, to make sure that this comment is not indicative of a shift in how Xbox views its consumers. There are already certain competitors of Xbox that I do not purchase from, because they do not seem to care at all or their consumer base, I would hate to add Xbox to that list. I know that I am only a single consumer, and my power within the market, by my lonesome, is practically negligible, but hopefully some one with some amount of power internally will read this message, and decide that attacks on consumers are not an acceptable marketing technique.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message, and I hope that the comment in question was merely an isolated mistake.

Sincerely,
    Evan Rosenberg

Evander on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Just figured I'd mention, in Canada the PS3 was launched at 649.99 CAD, and just recently had a prise raise to $702 CAD. So it's definately not the first time, and the PS3 didn't even have anything added to it.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wezoin wrote: »

Just figured I'd mention, in Canada the PS3 was launched at 649.99 CAD, and just recently had a prise raise to $702 CAD. So it's definately not the first time, and the PS3 didn't even have anything added to it.

I think that price rise was mainly due to a change in exchange rates. For a while there, the PS3 was actually quite a bit cheaper in Canada than in the US. The prices are now about even.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Slightly off topic, wasn't there supposed to be another announcement last night? What was it?

Zek on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope while you were sending that email to XBOX, you sent one to Wii, Gamecube, PS2 and PC Engine.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Evander wrote: »

I just tossed the following email off to Xbox. I know it won't make much of a difference, but it really bothers me when execs start insulting consumers.
    insanity

If you're offended by the fact that you also like a console that happens to be big in the sub-14 demographic (and it is... BIG TIME) then grow a skin.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001670.html

Please read, anyone that uses the word 'sku'.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

Interesting read, but I'm not sure it's a big deal. It's another case of specialized lexicon being introduced to the mass market due to the proliferation of smaller media players. This was bound to find its way into gaming from the moment we started seeing different versions of consoles in the post-internet revolution world.

That and folks love to toss terminology around to seem "teh smart". *shrug* Whatchagonnado?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

That blog gives no reason why we shouldn't use that term. In fact, the definition he gives fits the usage of this thread. So, we're using a real acronymn in the correct way. His given reason why we shouldn't appears to be that it's a technical term used in stockrooms. Yeah, that's a great reason.

gilrain on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

That blog gives no reason why we shouldn't use that term. In fact, the definition he gives fits the usage of this thread. So, we're using a real acronymn in the correct way. His given reason why we shouldn't appears to be that it's a technical term used in stockrooms. Yeah, that's a great reason.

It is a # that is different at every store, therefore not a good use of the wrod. Use 'model' instead. Easier, doesn't make you sound like an intertard who wants to seem like they're in TEH INDUSTRY.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It is a # that is different at every store, therefore not a good use of the wrod. Use 'model' instead. Easier, doesn't make you sound like an intertard who wants to seem like they're in TEH INDUSTRY.

This shit again? You know what people mean when they say it and no matter store you're in it does have a different SKU. Just because those SKUs are unique from store to store doesn't make the usage of the term incorrect.

EDIT: Also, you should definitely type out "number" instead of using "#." Using "#" makes you look like an idiot that can't be bothered to adequately express his thoughts in textual form.
    But I know what you meant, so I'll just let it go and not make a big deal out of it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

sku

sku

SKU

SKU

SKU

SKU

SKU

SKU

SKU

SKU

SKU-T THE FUCK UP MUGGINS

Einhander on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, wasn't there supposed to be another announcement last night? What was it?

It was some announcement about a new web browser for PDAs.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That's Best Buy. Here's a $82 120GB notebook drive, or a $105 160GB notebook drive. So it's at least doubling the price.

Could... um... could either of those be installed in a 360?

I don't really know much about it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

Yup

Which is really, really dumb.

And wow, for once I agree with a blogger.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Could... um... could either of those be installed in a 360?

I don't really know much about it.
    I've been wondering that, as well. I know TiVos can be upgraded like that, although not simply. I'm sure some enterprising young man has at least attempted this.

gilrain on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm sure once the mod chip scene catches up with the 360 it'll be relatively easy to install your own hard drive.

It won't be legal, though, and odds are you'll be banned from Live and Live Marketplace and miss out on one of the main reasons for owning a 360.

Einhander on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All the 360 peripherals have DRM chips in them, and I believe the HD uses a nonstandard format too; It's one of the reasons the X360 Guitar Hero controller is wired. Microsoft won't let anyone make a wireless peripheral yet as they make too much money on the markup of their own wireless controller.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But... I AM in the industry. Can I use the "wrod" sku instead of the "wrod" model? Can I still be an intertard (is that the leveled up form of an r-tard?)

Please?

Edit: Oooooh, top of the page. Snap!

Threepio on
    142.jpg