As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel Heroes] F2P -- Become an Agent of WANG! Guild Info in OP

DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
CURRENT GAME STATUS: LIVE

PA GUILD INFO: Agents of WANG Contact @Manetherenwolf or @Maddoc (both same name in game) to get guild invite.

STEAM GROUP: PA SuperWANGs

iDxYvfrsCDdVI.png
Game Overview
Marvel Heroes is a FREE-TO-PLAY action-packed massively multiplayer online game created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo and Diablo 2. Set in the iconic Marvel Universe, Marvel Heroes combines the core game-play style of Action RPGs and MMOs with the expansive library of heroes from the Marvel Universe. In the game, players can collect and play as their favorite Marvel Superheroes (including Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider Man, Captain America and many others). Team up with friends and try to stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube in a story written by Marvel comic super-scribe Brian Michael Bendis.

ixnOmGCn35oh3.png

iPLi5muHsVHZI.png

iblUBmk9RNdt7A.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh7mDn70RmQ&list=PLFYltcqpEd8ZWOqz1x2tzehFfMjnaOX9e&index=1

FAQ

Q: So am I able to choose any available hero to play?

A: No, you pick from one of five starter heroes (Thing, Scarlet Witch, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Storm) and get a second hero after completing the prologue (about 15 minutes into game). You also receive a 3rd random hero from the complete pool (21 at launch) for beating the last story mode boss, Dr. Doom.

Q: WTF I can't play Squirrel Girl... err... Deadpool for free?

A: Technically yes and no. You can outright buy any of the 21 launch heroes via the in game store. All heroes can drop in the game off any mob or boss.

Q: So it looks like heroes have multiple costumes, how do I get those? I want to play Jean Grey while wearing my Black Queen cosplay costume from NerdCon.

A: 99% of costumes are drops in game or can be bought directly from the in game store. Ultimate and some Premium pack buyers get exclusive costumes such as Deadpool's pirate outfit or Spider-Man's Symbiote that have enhanced effects and voice lines. There are also "Chase" costumes that are only available as drops in game.

Q: OK, there's no Howard the Duck. PREORDER CANCELED.

A: The developers plan on adding many heroes post launch, and will also have polls for players to choose upcoming additions.

Q: So wtf do I do in this game?

A: Marvel Heroes consists of 8 "chapters". Each chapter contains several zones and instances with various quests and bosses to defeat. Once you complete the chapter content then several endgame options open up.

Q: You said endgame, wtf did you sucker me into an MMO? I already found Mankrik's wife and used all my dots on Onyixia.

A: It's not an MMO in the traditional sense, everything is heavily instanced. The public zones may contain around 100 other players, but for the most part its small groups or solo play. Endgame is more like a game+ mode giving you things to do after you have beaten the main game.

Q: I like to gank people while wearing my unitard, can I do that in this game?

A: What you wear IRL is none of my concern. Yes, there is PvP in this game. However, at this time you don't have access to it until you begin the endgame. The PvP is heavily imbalanced and not fully functional yet. The developers have said PvE and PvP will be balanced separately.

Q: W00t! I had a duplicate hero drop, now I can sell it on the auction house and buy my epic mount!

A: Well, there's a few things wrong with that. First, the AH and mail system won't be implemented until sometime after launch. Second, all heroes and costumes are bound-on-pickup. Third, there are no vehicles/mounts unless you mean your real life Barbie Jeep you ride around on.

Q: So wtf do I do with these dupes?

A: Once a hero hits level 30 they can "consume" their matching duplicates to level up their Ultimate Power. Random offensive and defensive stats can be crafted onto costumes so you can use the duplicates to create alternate "specs".

Q: Ultimate Powers? Please let me make it rain squirrels.

A: Not sure about raining furries, but each hero has an ultimate that can be used once every 20 minutes that does massive crab damage. For instance if you've seen Iron Man 3 he uses the same calling in his "friends" move. Hulk jumps into space (really) and grabs a meteor and slams it into the ground.

Q: Is there phat lewtz in this game?

A: Each hero has multiple slots for random stat gear that uses the Universal MMO Color Coding Scheme™ (white, green, blue, purple, orange). The gear only impacts a hero stats-wise and does not make any changes to costume appearance. However, some artifacts have additional visual effects, such as smoke or glowing orbs that circle the player. Also, as previously mentioned, heroes and costumes can drop along with Retcons (for respeccing heroes), Fortune Cards (chance for random boost, costume, pet), and in endgame instances Cosmic Keys (used to unlock higher level endgame instances).

Q: I hate people, can I just solo the game?

A: Yes, the majority of the game can be soloed, although getting past Dr. Doom may be a challenge. You can group in parties of five via the standard yelling in chat or use the auto-party system which will put you in a group when you enter an instance. There is also a partially implemented friends list and guild system to more easily track the people you can't stand.

Q: So, it's F2P, but we all know that means Fee-to-Pay, Pay-to-Win, cash grab, etc, etc. What is the "real" cost?

A: The entire game is completely F2P. There is no "gated" content that requires store bought items to access. Roughly 99% of items in game can drop off mobs/bosses. If the drop rate from late stage beta holds up you'll see 1-2 heroes drop per 20 hours or so of play. The lowest level endgame instances (green) are unlocked by beating them and have chance to drop keys for the higher level ones (red and purple).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzUJduaz-ds&list=UUyFmNSiu3BQUr94LzYhkNJQ&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0kudFobmcg&list=UUyFmNSiu3BQUr94LzYhkNJQ&index=1

Dirtyboy on

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So... it's like a sequel to the Ultimate Alliance games, developed by one of the guys behind Diablo 2, and totally free to play?

Well, that sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully it winds up being as good as it sounds on paper.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I wasn't interested in this until the trailer showed rocket Racoon and dinosaurs.

So, how does the skill system work? Is it kind of diablo 3 ish where each hero has a small pool to chose from?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Bendis doing the story and Brevik doing the gameplay?

Allmymoney.jpg

I can't wait to get into cell signal range tomorrow so that I can watch those videos during my off time.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I wasn't interested in this until the trailer showed rocket Racoon and dinosaurs.

So, how does the skill system work? Is it kind of diablo 3 ish where each hero has a small pool to chose from?

Right now the skill tree is super basic with placeholder icons and graphics. The typical three trees that are broken down roughly into active abilities, passives, and group buffs. You get 1 skill point for every level (max level currently 25 in beta), and you can put multiple points into each skill. Things are very much subject to change as closed beta has barely started.

So far the game isn't very difficult, as you can solo any instance. The outdoor areas have packs of respawning mobs but you can easily take down large groups of them. The outdoor raid bosses have tons of HP, but you could feasibly solo them. Devs have said that the AI isn't optimized yet, so I'm sure that will definitely change. Tons of loot drops and it uses the Standard MMO Color Coding System for rarity. You have 3 clothing slots (does not show on character), a dna/genetic slot, amulet, and two artifact slots. The clothing and genetic items have randomized stats on them, and the amulets are dropped from bosses and have specific buffs related to them. Not sure about artifacts as I believe those are high end drops.

Costumes are crafted from mats that drop off of mobs. You need to own the recipes to craft which drop mostly off bosses. Most costumes are cosmetic only and each hero has several he can wear. The highest end premium costumes are store bought only, but there are so far very few of those. Those costumes have additional visual effects and new voice clips, like Deadpool's pirate outfit. The devs have said 99% of the costumes are drops in game, but you can purchase any single one of them with real money if you choose.

Heroes are 100% drops or you can buy them in the store outright. You can switch to any hero you have collected on the fly, but each hero levels independently. Devs said they hope to have over 200 playable in game at some point, currently there's around 25.

Gameplay-wise all the maps (instanced and public areas) are randomly generated. Every player gets their own loot, but XP, Health, Spirit orbs are all fair game (all just replenish your supply). Not sure what the timer is, but I believe the outdoor areas regenerate every few hours, which can make navigation a bit confusing. Quests are standard talk to the guy with ! and turn into the ones with ?. Raid bosses spawn every 10-15 minutes and they drop a bunch of loot. Instances are pretty linear and mostly consist of fight lots of trash, kill boss, get item, exit. There currently is no PvP.

I have no idea what the endgame plans are, or what the long-term goal of gameplay is. Currently it's just level one of your other heroes, but most of the game areas aren't implemented yet (only 3 acts that are couple hours each). As a free player you only have one of five heroes to start from, but at any time you can buy a new one in the store. The final pricing hasn't been determined, but it looks to be around $2 to $10 for each depending on how popular they are. Most of the names you recognize are around the $5 range. There are several other store tabs for things like boosters and account stuff, but at the moment there's nothing in them.

The most important question, is it fun?

Yes, I am enjoying it so far. I am using one of the default characters, The Thing and once I unlocked some of his skills he is a clobberin machine. Smacking mobs across the screen never gets old. It's a bit odd seeing multiples of same heroes running around, but the costume selection and addition of more heroes will make for some more variety. I didn't feel gimped as a free player, but the starting five heroes to choose from aren't the greatest and not sure what the drop rate on them is. I'd say the game is not as polished as D3 and not anywhere near as deep as Path of Exile, but fun to mess around in for a few hours here and there.

Gallery of some actual gameplay screenshots

TL;DR version: Yes, it's worth checking out if you like ARPGs.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I can't help but think it's gotta be really weird to have an MMO hero game where everybody plays named superheroes. Then I also think about how everybody kept making games where people just made characters like named superheroes but not really unique, and that didn't seem any less weird.

Conversely, I can't help but think having a group of a half-dozen Hulks all rampaging around and typing in ALL CAPS HULK VOICE wouldn't be a singularly unique and hilarious experience.

EDIT: Oh man, or how about a group of people that are drunk off their ass all playing as Iron Man. Pure gold.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I suppose, but if there's any type of game where something like that would seem plausible it's a super hero game. I don't recall the exact specifics of the plot for the game, but it does explain it somehow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The $10,000 question is how much does it play like Marvel Ultimate Alliance?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Plays more like Diablo than MUA. Point and click with hotkeys.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    Fourth beta session went pretty well. Didn't have any issues logging in and no DCs over the 3 1/2 hours I played. Was a bit laggy in the public areas but nothing impacting gameplay. Finished off chapter two by beating Kingpin solo (died 3 times, should have been in group) and moved on to chapter 3 based at Xavier's school. Gained 4 levels and a bunch of good loot drops, including two orange level artifacts with lots of stat bonuses (you can wear two artifacts at a time). No costume or hero drops, which was a little disappointing. They really need to make the public areas static and not randomly generated, as it becomes a pain in the ass trying to navigate, but at least any waypoints you find stay saved no matter which of your heroes you are using. The difficulty really ramps up in chapter 3 and you really had to be careful not to get overwhelmed when running around solo. I'm still enjoying it, but it still hasn't quite got me to pull the wallet out yet. I think I will feel more comfortable about spending money on it when the devs say how much content the launch version will have.

• Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    I was super interested in this game until I learned they're using stupid bullshit Loeb Nova instead of the real one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Shouldn't this be in the MMO subforum?

If only to save me a quick teasing

I saw the thread title and clicked and...oh. An MMO.

• Options
    It's no more an MMO than Diablo 3 is, which is to say it isn't no matter what the devs say.

• Options
    Yeah, I think MMO is an often abused title when it comes to free to play games. Mainly because it helps establish grind as a part of the game (which it will be in 99% of free to play models that aren't run by Valve)

Also that skill system reminds me of ME3 where there's character building but it's just shallow enough that I don't have to feel bad about fucking up the speccing. Is there an easy way to reset your characters like a prestige set up?

• Options
    Right now the skill trees are completely placeholder and there currently is no respecs. At the moment there's only like 4-6 skills per tree. You can potentially have skills on left/right mouse and A through H keys (it's a weird layout). You pretty much just have about six skills assigned to keys then an extra key for med packs, so it's fairly simple. Devs are still working things out so it's definitely not finalized. For instance on my Thing character I have a jumping attack that knocks everyone into air for brief stun, a backhand slap that hits everyone in forward arc, a single target punch that removes defense, a headbutt that stuns target, a group defensive buff (toggled on/off), and then basic punch. There are a few other moves I could have acquired but chose to put extra points into the ones already unlocked. I also have one passive defensive bonus. All triggered abilities cost spirit (mana) and outside of item bonuses there are not consumable kits/pots to replenish it besides waiting for it to regen.

Beyond that the devs have not said what the eventual max level will be (25 in beta), or what happens at endgame.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'll be honest in that this game doesn't look great, but it's free and looks like it'll scratch an itch I've had for awhile now, so bring on the beta invite!

(Been waitin' awhile)

• Options
    I'd much prefer if max level is low/easy to reach. It feels with the multiple heroes idea it would be much more enjoyable to just level different heroes to get more variation as opposed to having massive trees for each.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to this game. I went ahead and bought one of the founder packs and I'm eagerly awaiting a beta invite.

I'm hoping this will scratch a similar itch as the Ultimate Alliance games.

• Options
    Also I feel like there should be more talk about the founder packs and how they work, because it's a really cool way to do "pre-orders", as it were.

• Options
    I was tempted, but I kind of want to earn all my stuff in-game; and I'm not sure I'll be playing long enough to justify dropping a $20 or more on it.

• Options
    I managed to grab them while they were giving out the bonus currency, so the way I see it, I just spent as much money on the game as I would ever want to. It's enough to pick up a couple of extra heroes and costumes, and I think I'll play the game enough to warrant it.

I just think it's a really cool system. It doesn't feel exploitative or pay to win in the slightest.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    The Founder packs seem like a reasonable way to pick up some early characters you are interested in, which is why I got one.
    I guess the value depends on the cash shop prices for the stuff that is offered in the founders packs though, hard to judge what they are worth otherwise.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    There's several unused tabs in the item store, and one of them is marked "boosters", so you'll at least see XP and probably drop rate boosters for sale. I do like the fact that if you hate grinding endlessly for the hero/costume you want that you can just outright buy them on store, but I do wish there was a wider selection of starting heroes. You pick from one of five starting heroes (Daredevil, Storm, Thing, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye), and once you choose the other four go to the in-game store as paid heroes (for a discounted rate over the others).

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    There's several unused tabs in the item store, and one of them is marked "boosters", so you'll at least see XP and probably drop rate boosters for sale. I do like the fact that if you hate grinding endlessly for the hero/costume you want that you can just outright buy them on store, but I do wish there was a wider selection of starting heroes. You pick from one of five starting heroes (Daredevil, Storm, Thing, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye), and once you choose the other four go to the in-game store as paid heroes (for a discounted rate over the others).

Wooo! Storm was the best in X-Men Legends 1/2 and MUA 1/2

captaink on
  • Options
    I've seen a few people rocking this Storm in game:

costume_storm_mohawk.jpg

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There's no way in hell I'm spending $60 or more on this thing, but yeah, that $20 pack is tempting. $15 in game currency basically makes it $5 for a hero with 2 costumes and a couple of boosters. No idea what characters, costumes or boosts will cost in real dollars by release, but when I saw I could pick one of 17 heroes it became all the sweeter.

But much like Mechwarrior Online, I simply can't justify paying more for a "Free 2 Play" game than I can for a day 1 Triple-A release.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Also, there's no squirrel girl pack, so no purchase for me :)

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    There's no way in hell I'm spending $60 or more on this thing, but yeah, that $20 pack is tempting. $15 in game currency basically makes it $5 for a hero with 2 costumes and a couple of boosters. No idea what characters, costumes or boosts will cost in real dollars by release, but when I saw I could pick one of 17 heroes it became all the sweeter.

But much like Mechwarrior Online, I simply can't justify paying more for a "Free 2 Play" game than I can for a day 1 Triple-A release.

I understand that line of reasoning, but the pack I got gave me $60 in game currency for $60 right now. As long as it doesn't expire or anything, I'm pretty much set on that game for years.
    Also, there's no squirrel girl pack, so no purchase for me :)

Actually, from the sound of things, she's going to be a starter character sometime after launch. I guess she's just not done yet?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I understand that line of reasoning, but the pack I got gave me $60 in game currency for $60 right now. As long as it doesn't expire or anything, I'm pretty much set on that game for years.

I think the $60 pack comes with $55 worth of currency (and 4 characters with 8 costumes). I'm sure it's a great deal, and if I were making better money I'd happily jump on that or the big "everything for $200" pack, but with a busy birthday season coming up and recent move into a new apartment with the girlfriend, I'm trying to keep my discretionary spending under control.

$60 for a game I haven't even played yet is probably going to look poorly against some recent Kickstarter contributions. Y'know?

Not frowning on anyone who has the cash to go higher, just expounding on my own though process.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Oh, I wasn't commenting on your buying it specifically. It's your money. :P

I just had some cash to burn from working full time for a year while still living at home, which is why I went ahead and grabbed it. For some reason I just find myself wanting to talk about that system of pre-ordering, since it's not something I recall seeing other games do.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Oh, I wasn't commenting on your buying it specifically. It's your money. :P

I just had some cash to burn from working full time for a year while still living at home, which is why I went ahead and grabbed it. For some reason I just find myself wanting to talk about that system of pre-ordering, since it's not something I recall seeing other games do.
    Founders Programs are a thing now.
    Just from the games I personally am waiting to come out, Neverwinter, and Warframe are both doing it too (at pretty much the same price points too)
    and I am sure many others too, I guess it is just the natural evolution of the pre-order

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Oh, okay, I had no idea. Still, really cool.

• Options
    The one thing that annoys me about founders packs is many times it's asking you to put money down on an unfinished product without letting you try it out first. Honestly, they shouldn't offer them until a game goes into open beta stage. As much as I currently enjoy Marvel Heroes I would tell anyone that bought the $199 pack they are completely off their rocker nuts. The $60 pack is a good deal but I think it's overpriced. They should have it be around $40, especially since there is a full in-game store.

• Options
    I would tend to agree. I'll admit that now and then I've felt stupid for paying $60 for a game I haven't even played. It's definitely a gamble.

I think what I like about it is the fact that it's got different layers, like a Kickstarter.

And in this case specifically, it's nice knowing that I can go straight into the game with the hero of my choice.

• Options
    On a side note, the devs have said the next content patch is due around the 11th so will have a better idea of what direction the game is headed then.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Founders packs are fine IMHO.

I do think though that when offered they should have access to the game as one of the perks and allow you to upgrade your pledge at any time prior to release.

Lets you chip in 20 and then go 'fuck it this is awesome' and put in tons more.

EDIT: Though if I was going to buy into this I'd totally pick the Rocket Racoon pack up.

LOG TRAP.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    They did give the first 2500 ppl who purchased packs beta access so there is that at least.

• Options
    Suppose. Question is does rocket Racoon have log trap, and is it spammable as shit? Otherwise I'm not sure if he's really Rocket Racoon.

• Options
    I'm not sure I've ever seen Rocket Raccoon use a log trap in the comics. Like, ever. It's been awhile since I've read his miniseries though.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.