As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I dunno...I don't think a Dr. Strange movie would work. Its too hard to convey his limitations when he has 'magic powers'. I mean, I got Harry Potter and how his magic was limited in the movies. He was a student and still learning. But Dr. Strange, in order to be a bad-ass, has to have clear limitations that I've never seen him have.

It can be done. All it requires is a talented crew and a script that shows magic's limitations as well as each magic users own. People have been doing this in various media for decades, it's not an unsolvable problem. If Harry Potter can do it there's no reason Dr.Strange can't.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    People bring that idea up as though magic isn't one of the most basic and understandable cultural touchstones around the world.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I don't even know if I want conventional limits in a Dr. Strange film. Tony Stark built a suit in a cave with a box of scraps and in his sequel invented a new element.

Fuck limits. I want Strange pulling off so much magic my face melts in amazement.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    What he said.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    To be fair, there are things Dr. Strange can and cannot do in the comics. Mind you, what he can do is still pretty incredible. Mightygodking probably did the best breakdown of both Dr. Strange's abilities, and how magic functions in Marvel in general. To paraphrase the most relevant bit:

"So, what can Strange do without asking for help? Well, the three provinces of the Vishanti are illumination (Agamotto), space (Oshtur) and time (Hoggoth). Here’s the short list:

- telepathy/hypnosis (not on the level of a Charles Xavier, to be sure, but no slouch)
    - astral travel/dreamwalking
    - teleportation (himself, others, other things, warp gates, banishing demons, et cetera)
    - telekinesis (flight, moving other things, et cetera)
    - slowing and hastening of time
    - time travel
    - creation and dispelling of illusions
    - and the manipulation of raw magical energy, mostly to create magical zappy bolts or magical energy shields

Now, that’s pretty goddamned powerful, there’s no question about that. With that powerset Doc can go just about anywhere he wants to, learn a lot about things, and be a very very tough opponent in a fight.

But here’s a list of things he can’t do:

- Magically cure disease
    - transmute matter or energy
    - create things out of thin air
    - affect emotions
    - control sound
    - directly control the elements (either scientific or magical)
    - cure insanity
    - stop someone from being evil
    - control magical energy in very fine, adept ways
    - overcome death (his own or others')"

MGK takes some liberties in the article, but he's broadly correct in Strange's limitations. The Doc can do a lot himself, but anything else requires him to call in a favor or find a magical object that will do it for him. and even then, a great deal of his own "spells" are just him calling on the Vishanti, Cyttorak, Ikonn, or a half dozen other extra dimensional entities to channel their power through him to achieve the desired affect.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Alright, so, wrapped up Part 2 of The Dark Knight Returns. I'm seriously impressed. Emerson nailed Joker so well that I'm convinced Hamill, as much as I love his take, would have been an ill-advised choice for the material. Very creepy, and just straight up evil. I liked Weller a lot more this time around as well. I'm not sure if he grew into the role more, or if my opinion changed since seeing Part 1, or a combination of both, but I thought he did a better job this time around. He's still a little flat and off emotionally at times, but it's apparent that he's oh so close to being perfect. Might have needed just a little more direction or something. Things seemed to move faster and have a better pacing this time around as well, but I chalk that up to having a lot more action than Part 1. I never really made the distinction while reading the comic, but the movies really highlighted the fact that the latter half of the series is a lot heavier on the action than the first half, which was more contemplative and cerebral. The carnival, especially the Tunnel of Love sequence, was as sad and tragic as the comic; and the final confrontation might have been even more badass than the source material. It was, quite simply, fucking fun as hell to watch.

I'm quite satisfied with the adaptation on the whole. It's definitely one of my favorite DC animated pieces and is by far the best one they've done since Under the Red Hood. My only real gripe relates to the missing internal dialogues, which I missed (much more so in pt 1 than pt 2), but that wouldn't keep me from recommending it to anyone. I wouldn't recommend paying $40 for them, but they're well worth an instant video rental or a cheap purchase.

steam_sig.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So, in other superhero movie news. Between RDJ giving a fairly obvious clue and a toy giving away a plot point, the after-credits scene of Iron Man 3 was kind of revealed:
    Tony builds a set of outer space capable armor and meets the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Evidence:
    RDJ wrote:
    Everywhere you look now in every Marvel movie there are opportunities where certain new pals of his (Tony’s) could be useful. So they’re in the atmosphere, so to speak, but I wouldn’t expect to see them on the ground in this one.
    LZXkMpD.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    *Squeeeeeal!*

H9f4bVe.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    They haven't even finished
    Casting it though. Maybe it'll just be Starlord?

Quire.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Well,
    Rocket and Groot would be entirely CGI I think - so since the post credits scenes are short, he could literally just meet them silently...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Most of the time you can skip origins

especially when they have been done on the screen before

but some origin stories are just too good to not use

like Dr Strange, or Iron Fist

you have to use them because they are just so fucking cool

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Oh man, that after credit scene is going to be awesome.
    I feel like it'll reveal more than most since so many people are unaware of the Guardians

Kyougu on
    Dude, spoiler it. C'mon.

CYpGAPn.png
    They haven't even finished
    Casting it though. Maybe it'll just be Starlord?

They filmed the goofy Shawarma scene after the world premiere of Avengers. I think they can film it in the 3 months till Iron Man 3.

CYpGAPn.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    They must have Dr. Strange be utterly terrible at poker so that Avengers 2 can recreate one of the best Spider-man issues ever.

Though I suppose not having the rights to Spider-man and Fantastic Four puts a bit of a damper on that.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I wonder where Strange gets all that cash. He doesn't have the power to make things out of thin air, and he's no longer a practicing surgeon.

On the other hand, he's very good at illusions. How many of those bills do you think were really just Monopoly money he enchanted to look real?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    They must have Dr. Strange be utterly terrible at poker so that Avengers 2 can recreate one of the best Spider-man issues ever.

Though I suppose not having the rights to Spider-man and Fantastic Four puts a bit of a damper on that.

I love that issue.

"God I love being a hero"

So damn perfect.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Heh
    Skrull Captain America is a dick

Real Cap isn't much better.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    New story trailer for Injustice: Gods Among Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27-3NJqpiA

Two screens of note:
    6LdrAPc.png
    Alternate Nightwing costume? Nightwing's model has short hair, so this could be Jason or Tim as Robin?

HqNHpKG.png
    Hawkgirl!

Both are cutscenes so maybe not playable characters

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Looks like Warpath

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Ooh, was that Kevin Conroy I heard? <3

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Is that Adam Baldwin doing Hal's voice?

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    its also Susan Eisenberg as WW
    looks to me like they are doing a Justice Lords vs. Justice League alternate dimension style story line

Joolander on
    Joolander wrote: »
    its also Susan Eisenberg as WW
    looks to me like they are doing a Justice Lords vs. Justice League alternate dimension style story line
    Nope.
    Superman snaps after the previously mentioned dumb Lois/Joker stuff and starts a regime with Wonder Woman and the Justice League.

Batman leads a resistance.

CYpGAPn.png
    IGN found this photo of Cage in a much better Superman suit than what we've seen before, although it could be photoshopped:

20m32f.png

Most important question: is the crotch red?!?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    looks better than the man of steel costume. Cage actually looks nigh-Supermanish there, in that pic where he's looking at the camera.

No nipples? I assumed all the hero costumes then would have nipples.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    No nipples? I assumed all the hero costumes then would have nipples.

Schumacher wasn't directing, it was Burton.

• GuekGuek Registered User regular
    so glad they didn't go with cage. His face is too recognizable for a role like that. To a certain extent, it wouldn't be "Superman" flying around, it'd always be Nic Cage as Superman. The same thing happens to me for RDJ in any movie where he's not Tony Stark.

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Has this been posted here yet? It's a new Iron Man 3 poster. I like the idea but I'm not 100% sold on the execution.

Hellbore on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Holy shit. Matt Bomer, Stana Katic, Molly Quinn, and John Nobel as Superman, Lois, Kara, and Braniac? I want a live action with that cast

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Anyone else worry that the Gotg are gonna get Alpha Flighted at the start of Avengers 2?

steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I do now.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    BigDes wrote: »
    Anyone else worry that the Gotg are gonna get Alpha Flighted at the start of Avengers 2?
    I really, really doubt that will happen.

Spend hundreds of millions on a GotG movie and then kill em off? No way.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited January 2013
    Somebody want to explain alpha-flighting to me? When and where did they get killed?

Anywho, unless Marvel magically gets the Fantastic Four back, the GotG are the best avenue they have for cosmic shenanigans. I don't see them going anywhere for a long time.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited January 2013
    In Bendis' New Avengers, Alpha Flight gets killed off panel by a new villain, one page they're telling him to stop, the next they're all dead (except Sasquatch)

TexiKen on
    Yay Bendis.

This discussion has been closed.