As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They all come back though

when someone realized that hey

this is really dumb

and Alpha Flight are cool beans

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    It was Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente in Chaos War

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Good lads

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Variety: Valiant Comics Producing 'Harbinger' Film
    'Texas Chainsaw 3D' scribe will pen comicbook adaptation

Though the film may have stalled at Paramount, Valiant Entertainment Group has decided to go it on its own with "Harbinger" adaptation, bringing back Stephen Susco to pen the script that Brett Ratner will help develop with an eye to direct.

Susco originally developed and Brett Ratner was originally attached to direct when the project was at Paramount, but underlying rights issues in the wake of the Fox/WB lawsuit over "Watchmen" stalled the project.

Instead of going the studio route, Valiant sought financing and was given a capital infusion from private investment company Cuneo & Co. and partnered with former Marvel CEO and vice chairman Peter Cuneo to relaunch and independently develop their library of over 1,500 titles.

Based on the hit Valiant comicbook series and created by Jim Shooter, the comic is a dark and modern twist on the mutant/superhero mythology and followed Pete Stanchek, a teenager- turned-superhero and his battle with a equally powerful industrialist.

Well, this sounds... less than promising.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Variety: Valiant Comics Producing 'Harbinger' Film
    'Texas Chainsaw 3D' scribe will pen comicbook adaptation

Though the film may have stalled at Paramount, Valiant Entertainment Group has decided to go it on its own with "Harbinger" adaptation, bringing back Stephen Susco to pen the script that Brett Ratner will help develop with an eye to direct.

Susco originally developed and Brett Ratner was originally attached to direct when the project was at Paramount, but underlying rights issues in the wake of the Fox/WB lawsuit over "Watchmen" stalled the project.

Instead of going the studio route, Valiant sought financing and was given a capital infusion from private investment company Cuneo & Co. and partnered with former Marvel CEO and vice chairman Peter Cuneo to relaunch and independently develop their library of over 1,500 titles.

Based on the hit Valiant comicbook series and created by Jim Shooter, the comic is a dark and modern twist on the mutant/superhero mythology and followed Pete Stanchek, a teenager- turned-superhero and his battle with a equally powerful industrialist.

Well, this sounds... less than promising.

Whelp.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Since the thread's title is Movies and Beyond, figured I'd put this here...

Neil Gaiman's upcoming novel is now available for pre-order
    . And I do love me some Neil Gaiman.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Wow...the Nicholas Cage Superman could have been THAT bad...

Its like someone TRIED to make the worst Superman thing ever.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    so, nic cage silver age superman movie.

i would've watched it.

oh jesus god i got to the part with the costume i take it back i take it back

Brainiac insists that Superman needs to meet his Doomsday. Doomsday is of course, a tiny alien pet, with his own tiny nametag that says "Doomsday" on it. Lex is skeptical until it bites off the tip of his finger (which Lex also takes surprisingly well). At which point, Brainiac gets his one good line of the movie:

BRAINIAC:
    Never pet a thing named Doomsday.

WOWOWOWOW

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I cannot believe they passed on such a well-crafted, witty scrippppfffffdhhahahahahaha--

--ahahahahahahaa!!

When they said it was based on Death of Superman, I didn't realize they were trying to write a script that would literally kill the Superman franchise.

i think it's hilarious some of the bits that ended up in the DCAU
    like skull ship kryptonian AI Braniac and fused Brainiac/Luthor

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    WHITE (as he exits):
    Lane, you cover the feminine angle - how the eclipse affects carpooling, grocery shopping, soap viewership, tranquilizer intake.

LOIS:
    Yes, Boss.

good god

CYpGAPn.png
    Antimatter wrote: »
    To be fair, Alan Moore did fused Brainiac/Luthor first.

Brainiac%253ALuthor.jpg

And I thought the Rob Liefeld movie idea was insane. It doesn't hold a candle to this.

Brainiac%253ALuthor.jpg

But at least there the combination still only has one head. Instead of the script, which has a head each for Lex and Brainiac.

Man, I could totally have seen Jim Carrey starring as Lex Luthor in this...

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hmm. Had this Superman movie been made, it would've explained Nicolas Cage's actual career path much more easily.

Linespider5 on
    it's almost like it was made, but someone erased everyone's memory of having seen it and destroyed the film

God bless you, whoever you are

5811391_std.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, your Lex Luthor for the 90's:
    "LUTHOR teases his hair into a Don King 'do, and crows):
    You loved The Thrilla In Manilla!
    You dug The Rumble In the Jungle! Tonight, Brainy and I bring you:
    The Superman-Stoppa In Metroppa!"

You know how when they make movies they try to put in stuff that resonates with the era and culture and try to be relevant to appeal to the mass audience?

I have no fucking clue what century this screenwriter was living in. I'm not even sure he's from this planet, let alone this reality.

Earth-173821, where everyone huffs paint and all drinking water is Absinthe and all they have to eat is peyote.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    So I hope no one was looking forward to Chew on Showtime, because
    There will not be a CHEW TV series on Showtime.

steam_sig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    So I hope no one was looking forward to Chew on Showtime, because
    There will not be a CHEW TV series on Showtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1QCBF3h_tM

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    You know how when they make movies they try to put in stuff that resonates with the era and culture and try to be relevant to appeal to the mass audience?

I have no fucking clue what century this screenwriter was living in. I'm not even sure he's from this planet, let alone this reality.

Earth-173821, where everyone huffs paint and all drinking water is Absinthe and all they have to eat is peyote.

Hmm. This movie destroys the reputation of Superman, so initially my thoughts went Luthor. But he comes out looking even worse. And he's, you know, smart. And good at things.

Obviously, this was the work of Mr. Myxlplyx. Or possibly Bat Mite.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Brainiac%253ALuthor.jpg

The Brainiac skull ship has also been around for a long time. It was on the Superfriends.

Also, that script of Superman Lives was written after Superman: TAS premiered so they probably took the idea of Brainiac being a Kryptonian AI from the animated series.

KingofMadCows on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    And I thought the Rob Liefeld movie idea was insane. It doesn't hold a candle to this.

Liefeld is an amateur at being insane, Burton is a professional.
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Hmm. This movie destroys the reputation of Superman, so initially my thoughts went Luthor. But he comes out looking even worse. And he's, you know, smart. And good at things.

Obviously, this was the work of Mr. Myxlplyx. Or possibly Bat Mite.

JJ Abrams Superman pitch was...wierd. It had Lex being a CIA agent that was secretly another Krytonian.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    VanCamp can work as Sharon, I can dig it, Everwood seemed to be a well liked show from what people said. Now on to Carol Danvers!

Revenge is also pretty quality for what it is.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular

No ... The 90s really did suck that much ass.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    revenge is fantastic, centi

the world didn't know it needed a bronsonian late night soap opera with shang tsung in it

the world learned that lesson fast

7656367.jpg
    man I've missed you, TLB

where did Mr. Turner go

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    he was over there, centi

on the other side of the school

7656367.jpg
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

90s nostalgia is really going to be the worst in a couple years. You know how we're all idiots as kids and like the suckiest things?

Even as a kid, I could tell the 90s sucked.

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hey I liked a lot of the 90s music. Heck to bring it back to comic book media it had the best Superman related songs (Superman's Song, Superman's Dead, Kryptonite... although that was 2000, Superman TAS theme). It also brought the DCAU and the fairly bad in retrospect but definitely better than previous efforts Marvel animated shows.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    90s nostalgia is really going to be the worst in a couple years. You know how we're all idiots as kids and like the suckiest things?

Going to be? Have you not been on the Internet lately? We're already swimming in 90s nostalgia bullshit from other people in their late 20s and early/mid 30s who are in a position to do things and influence the web, and they have been jacking it to the 90s hard for a couple years now at least.

as a 90s kid

literally murder the 90s

anyway, i think nic cage superman could've worked with silver age craziness, and less of the time period's BS.

90s nostalgia is really going to be the worst in a couple years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkM6RJf15cg

This discussion has been closed.