As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get lost in the [Antichamber]

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, consensus is that this game is insanity-inducing in the best way?

it's pretty good!

there's a whole lot of block-pushing in the later puzzles, which gets tiring, but even still it's fun

• Options
    now i'm stuck at
    The Highest Point, the last puzzle before you get the red gun

i am so fucking sick of wrestling with these goddamn cube-coaxing puzzles

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, consensus is that this game is insanity-inducing in the best way?

It's amazing. I know it's early, but I have no doubt it will end up being on my list for GOTY.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    This forum is pretty great for introducing me to great Steam games.

First Don't Starve, now this.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Crossposting here, though really you shouldn't be reading this thread if you haven't played the game.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So, been while since I ran a giveaway, and this game is so goddamn amazing that I felt the need to pay the dev twice the price.

signature.png

1. Locked to G&T Adventure Team group. Sorry for those of you not in it, easiest way to make sure an actual regular gets it.

2. I humbly ask that you only enter if you're really into puzzle games and will not get frustrated and quit. This game is HARD. This game will drive you insane. But if you keep chewing on problems in your head, you'll have a eureka moment. I haven't come across a single puzzle so far where I went 'that was bullshit' (I'm about 2/3-3/4 through it)

3. Same as #2, this is on the honor system as well, but by entering this giveaway you agree that you will not spoil the game for yourself. Don't watch Totalbiscuit's "WTF is Antichamber" or any LPs or anything to "see if you'd like it". The official launch trailer (the one on the steam store page) is totally spoiler free. If you've already seen some early stuff on the game I'm not going to give you the hairy eyeball for entering, but seriously dudes, this is a game that you owe it to yourself to go in COMPLETELY fresh.

Ends Sunday at noon.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    holy fuck

i don't even

i like everything that just happened and also don't understand it

• Options
    I just solved "Breaking the Arch" and I have no idea how I did it

• Options

solution in spoiler, in case you're curious
    you have to look up mid-flight

• Options
    man you're in for a treat, the next set of puzzles after that one is my favorite sequence thus far

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Just finished this.

Hardcore logic puzzling at it's finest. Dethroned portal in that department quite handedly. I didn't complete every puzzle by the end, so I'll have to see if I can go back and finish the ones I missed. God damn this was a good game, and is a strong contended for Game of the Year for me.

• Options

ok I think I broke it then.
    I brought in some yellow blocks from the previous room and was using them to build walls/landings to "break the arch". I think I ended up triggering that state when I hit one of my walls from inside the anti-block field while flailing around.

Anyway, got the red gun and going back to solve all the shit I couldn't before. This game has AMAZING power-progression-sense.

• Options

I brought in some yellow blocks from the previous room and was using them to build walls/landings to "break the arch". I think I ended up triggering that state when I hit one of my walls from inside the anti-block field while flailing around.

Anyway, got the red gun and going back to solve all the shit I couldn't before. This game has AMAZING power-progression-sense.

how the hell did you do The Highest Point?

like, was there some trick to it or did you just drag all the cubes around for 15 minutes

• Options
    edited February 2013

like, was there some trick to it or did you just drag all the cubes around for 15 minutes

I actually thought that one was easy.
    The key is figuring out how to get only one cube blocking the easy-lasers instead of a whole snake. It's an echo of "Pulling in Both Directions" or whatever it was called. You block the laser, grab(right click) the cube that is blocking the laser, and drag the rest of the cubes away before it regenerates. That single cube regenerates still blocking the laser and you have the rest of the snake to use.

So you do that twice to block the top left and bottom left lasers. The bottom right one is already blocked by default, no need to do anything there. And then the snake was long enough for me to move it up to the top to block the last one.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    The game is not as "mind bending" as I expected, at least as far as I have gotten, but then I have played Portal so it may be that I am already somewhat used to spaces with unusual geometry.

However, the puzzles are solid and the solutions to some of them are awesome where you have to think sideways/backwards/upside-down.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options

I actually thought that one was easy.
    The key is figuring out how to get only one cube blocking the easy-lasers instead of a whole snake. It's an echo of "Pulling in Both Directions" or whatever it was called. You block the laser, grab(right click) the cube that is blocking the laser, and drag the rest of the cubes away before it regenerates. That single cube regenerates still blocking the laser and you have the rest of the snake to use.

So you do that twice to block the top left and bottom left lasers. The bottom right one is already blocked by default, no need to do anything there. And then the snake was long enough for me to move it up to the top to block the last one.

ah for fuck's sake

that's how i tried to do it at first, but the game totally wants you to
    use that square of glass in the middle to keep regenerating new cubes until you have enough to fill the whole thing

• Options
    Whew. Need a breather. Let my mind rest.

I've got a few active rooms I'm working on at the moment, but the ones taking most of my attention are Lighting The Fuse which I'm having trouble with mainly because
    I seem to have some mental block in understanding exactly when green blocks do their vanishing thing. Sometimes it works exactly as I think it should.. other times not and this is one of the not times.

I've also been working on Link in A Chain Reaction which I totally figured out how to do but
    did it BACKWARDS.
    . After that I face-palmed hard enough that I realized I needed to take a break for the night.

I cant wait for Monday. Its my day off so I wont be going at this exhausted from work

• Options

I've got a few active rooms I'm working on at the moment, but the ones taking most of my attention are Lighting The Fuse which I'm having trouble with mainly because
    I seem to have some mental block in understanding exactly when green blocks do their vanishing thing. Sometimes it works exactly as I think it should.. other times not and this is one of the not times.

I've also been working on Link in A Chain Reaction which I totally figured out how to do but
    did it BACKWARDS.
    . After that I face-palmed hard enough that I realized I needed to take a break for the night.

I cant wait for Monday. Its my day off so I wont be going at this exhausted from work

Regarding your first spoiler (hint towards the idea you're looking for, not a solution)
    I haven't figured out the algorithm or anything, I just do it by feel, but it seems like "If you remove a block that leaves a section isolated, that section will begin to dissolve unless it had 70+% of the blocks in the total pre-cut structure connected to it."

• Options
    the trick to Lighting The Fuse lies in the name of the room

you just gotta think about what kind of fuse it's talking about

• Options
    the trick to [Most of the rooms] lies in the name of the room

you just gotta think about what [The title is] talking about

• Options

look, you

don't get sassy with me >: (

• Options

look, you

don't get sassy with me >: (

Just having some fun. =P

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Okay, I think I've found all the areas (or at least there aren't anymore unexplored bits on my map) but I'm still missing two pictures, both on the sixth row down (the third and fifth)

I can't imagine where I missed them at.

Also, does anyone know what the timer does?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DrxLecterDrxLecter Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    It's the third paragraph in the text you quoted. It's basically a walkthrough/spoiler for the first puzzle and a subsequent puzzle. It's a thing that's pretty hard to avoid when a person writing about a game doesn't understand how to describe the experience without talking directly about it. Sadly it's also terribly common in gaming journalism.

ack, sorry. I'll admit to kinda glossing over it to see if it would get the point across. I removed the paragraph in question.

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So I'm having a lot of trouble with "Pulling both ways"
    Is there something I'm not getting? There are not enough blocks to get to all four spaces and it is impossible to separate them right?

EDIT: Okay, writing that out I just answered my own question

BertezBertez on
    ...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options

did it BACKWARDS.

Regarding your first spoiler (hint towards the idea you're looking for, not a solution)
    I haven't figured out the algorithm or anything, I just do it by feel, but it seems like "If you remove a block that leaves a section isolated, that section will begin to dissolve unless it had 70+% of the blocks in the total pre-cut structure connected to it."

Yeah, the thing is, unless I'm doing it wrong,
    you NEED the dissolving power for several puzzles
    , which makes its unpredictability a touch frustrating. It's the only negative I have with the game thus far.

Well, yeah, I know what I have to do, executing it properly is another matter.

Ill get it. I think it's mostly that playing Antichamber at 2am, which is what I've been doing, is not the best plan.

• Options

did it BACKWARDS.

Yeah, the thing is, unless I'm doing it wrong,
    you NEED the dissolving power for several puzzles
    , which makes its unpredictability a touch frustrating. It's the only negative I have with the game thus far.

Well, yeah, I know what I have to do, executing it properly is another matter.

Ill get it. I think it's mostly that playing Antichamber at 2am, which is what I've been doing, is not the best plan.

No offense meant, seriously, but I would venture that at present, you do not in fact get it. As soon as I figured out what Lighting the Fuse wanted me to do, I literally got through all the doors on my first try with my first idea. Hopefully sleeping on it helped you get the whole dissolving thing, because there is a sort of logic to it.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    And beaten. My intuition about where the last section was turned out to be correct.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Just finished up, although I doubt I 100%ed it. What a great game. My brain is fried.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Question for those who have finished.

Laying the Foundations. The line on the map that goes down. No idea where to go for that. Also Jump Too Far. Line going right. Any help on those two would be great. I only have hitting the wall, but I've figured that out I just need to get the stupid door part right.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Laying the Foundations. The line on the map that goes down. No idea where to go for that. Also Jump Too Far. Line going right. Any help on those two would be great. I only have hitting the wall, but I've figured that out I just need to get the stupid door part right.

spoilering just to be safe.
    The jump too far line going right is to the end of the game, have you gotten the red gun? As for laying the foundation I haven't done anything with that room even though I have beaten the game.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »

The jump too far line going right is to the end of the game, have you gotten the red gun? As for laying the foundation I haven't done anything with that room even though I have beaten the game.
    yup got the red gun. I just got the Hitting the wall door open too so now all I have left on the map is jump too far and the foundation one. I have six empty spots on my picture wall though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular

yup got the red gun. I just got the Hitting the wall door open too so now all I have left on the map is jump too far and the foundation one. I have six empty spots on my picture wall though.
    Ah, I kind of lucked into the jump too far solution since it really wasn't anything I had seen before. Also I'm not sure I could even hint at it with out giving the solution away

hLeTR.png
  • Options

Ah, I kind of lucked into the jump too far solution since it really wasn't anything I had seen before. Also I'm not sure I could even hint at it with out giving the solution away

I literally figured it out like a minute after posting. Now I just have the foundation bottom line if anyone has a hint.

• Options
    ok here's one you guys might be able to help me out with
    just got the red gun. went back to Over The Edge, made my way across the winding gap and into the room after it

there's a blue structure with a red field, and it wants me to block the lasers... but i don't know how to do it, because i can't navigate cubes into place because they just run into the field

also, Hitting The Wall - no idea how to do this one, either

• Options
    i've also got two exits (up, left) from Many Different Angles i can't figure out

an exit (right) from Connecting the Pieces

an exit (right) from Don't Look Down

and then i think that's everything...

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    As usual, it turns out that my advice about respawning blocks turns out to be completely wrong. To some extent it doesn't matter, but there's at least one puzzle that you can make much easier.

• Options
    Red gun usage tip.
    If you have more than one block in th gun you can do the charge shoot, middle mouse button left mouse hold, and it will create a little wall with more blocks than you had. Collect them and do it again, you will have way more. Repeats for infinite blocks.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    just got the red gun. went back to Over The Edge, made my way across the winding gap and into the room after it

there's a blue structure with a red field, and it wants me to block the lasers... but i don't know how to do it, because i can't navigate cubes into place because they just run into the field

if its the one I think it is, this thought process helped me solve it-

How does the game normally want you to put blocks in places that are covered by something you can't shoot through?

Hope that helps.

AvalonGuard on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Awesome, awesome game. So fun. It's challenging, but if you keep moving between areas when you're stuck, you make slow, satisfying progress constantly, and I love that. The world has its own crazy rules, but nothing's ever cheap, and I was proud that I never had to look up a solution online. Talk about flow! Anyone who's on the fence - get it!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options

if its the one I think it is, this thought process helped me solve it-

How does the game normally want you to put blocks in places that are covered by something you can't shoot through?

Hope that helps.
    it wants me to drag them with the middle mouse, right? that's how i've always done it

but when i try and do that, it always just guides them straight into the barrier and they evaporate