As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS4] 399.99. No DRM. No Online Required.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i havent been impressed enough with PC versions of things over ps3 versions of things to spend the $$$ on a ps4 if thats all its going to be. i mean theyre obviously better but whatever. again, just have to wait and see how it pans out i guess.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind, the benefit of consoles is that the developers have access to the exact specs... On PC it's a different ballgame because everyone's CPUs can be completely different. So they can certainly make it work better.

Yeah, they have a set 'rig' to cater for instead of a wide range of specs.

Thanks for the comparison. I'm running a 560 Ti at home and I just wanted an idea of where the proposed PS4 GPU stands.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Any bets on release games?

I'm betting Uncharted, but God of War 4: Live Free or Kill Gods could probably make an appearance.

Does Naughty dog have a 2nd team? They're still finishing up the last of us aren't they?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Devs also don't have to deal with an O/S that isn't built primarily for gaming.

• Options
    Also, the rumors of BF4 being a launch title for the new consoles seems pretty believable. There was a pretty darn big gap between the PC and console versions of 3, especially in the MP, that I think that the console centric press would be pretty impressed by it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Also, the rumors of BF4 being a launch title for the new consoles seems pretty believable. There was a pretty darn big gap between the PC and console versions of 3, especially in the MP, that I think that the console centric press would be pretty impressed by it

I'd be shocked if Call of Duty misses it, considering the latest CoD came out for the Wii U as well.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Well that goes without saying. CoD is yearly on every platform possible, come hell or high water

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

I have a feeling my jaw is only going to drop if they also announce a totally new kind of game, one which was previously unimaginable. A kind of game so new and different we'd need to invent an entirely new genre for it.

This.

I can't stress how little shits I'll give when they show off a new Killzone game. It doesn't matter how crazy detailed it'll claim to look, because it's another FPS set in another bland world with characters I don't like.

You've heard people make a case about how a great art style is more important than the hardware behind it, and that's absolutely true. It's why games like Wind Waker are still recalled fondly while Heavy Rain is fast looking out of date (even though I personally love that game).

It's kind of like that Yoda Puppet vs Yoda CG argument. Again, I'm all for ultra realistic graphics, but they can't focus on that alone.

• Options
    People still talk about heavy rain?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I have a feeling my jaw is only going to drop if they also announce a totally new kind of game, one which was previously unimaginable. A kind of game so new and different we'd need to invent an entirely new genre for it.

This.

I can't stress how little shits I'll give when they show off a new Killzone game. It doesn't matter how crazy detailed it'll claim to look, because it's another FPS set in another bland world with characters I don't like.

You've heard people make a case about how a great art style is more important than the hardware behind it, and that's absolutely true. It's why games like Wind Waker are still recalled fondly while Heavy Rain is fast looking out of date (even though I personally love that game).

It's kind of like that Yoda Puppet vs Yoda CG argument. Again, I'm all for ultra realistic graphics, but they can't focus on that alone.

Honestly I think the best thing about changing generations is that publishers will allow themselves to release more new IPs.

Then again the huge developers have gotten so ludicrously risk-adverse I'm worried that everything will look mostly the same only with more shinies not because they're limited by tech, but because they're afraid to release anything that isn't the same old thing only with a few tweaks. I mean, beyond stuff like Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire we didn't really get much that was too different from the AAA studios this generation. Indies/smaller developers are a different matter, though. Loads of creativity going on there, and that's usually without using 110% of a system's power.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Indies/smaller developers are a different matter, though. Loads of creativity going on there, and that's usually without using 110% of a system's power.

Which is why, above all else, the new technology needs to be easier for these smaller devs to make the games they want to make.

I don't want a repeat situation where some formally console-made games are put into handhelds because of rising development costs/trickier hardware/etc. Everyone should get a chance to make every game they want on these new consoles.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    From the Western Animation thread, @Novid teases some relevant PS4 news (he was involved in the failed Thundercats reboot and has several contacts in the animation industry):
    Novid wrote: »
    Folks. If you dont watch the Sony PS4 Reveal on the 20th, your going to be missing some big, big things. Trust me - There is a reason why half the industry went quiet the last several weeks since Sony made the announcement about there IPTV plans. Nobody in Amazon or Netflix will be fucking happy and Crunchyrolls days are numbered. The rest of the cable business in ON Board with Sony because Sony isnt in the business of screwing clients over. It will help the blu-ray business too. But what it does for animation is the best thing in half a generation - at least that is what i hear.

I'm currently subscribed to Netflix and really don't desire subbing for an additional service, but I'm curious about this thing he's talking about.

Maybe it'll be included with PS+?

Doesn't make any sense if they're going to unveil a PS4 or whatever exclusive service. What makes Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll so go is that they're on everything - you can wath them on your tablets, phones, computers, and gaming devices and aren't 100% tied to a TV in a single stationary residence.

But including a streaming service with PS+ would be a good move.

At the last PlayStation Meeting (where they announced the Vita), they announced PS Mobile, a service for Vita and Android phones, so they could easily use the opportunity to announce another cross platform service. And seeing as SCEI is part of Sony's entire networking division, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened.

Not that it'll matter to me anyway, as it'll never actually come out here.
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    That GPU: what's the nearest equivalent amongst commercially available cards? (for us nontech folks)

Somewhere around a Radeon HD 7850. There are always going to be differences that Sony (or Microsoft) requested though, and like urahonky said, having standardised hardware lets developers get a lot more out of it than PCs can.
    Spoit wrote: »
    Any bets on release games?

I'm betting Uncharted, but God of War 4: Live Free or Kill Gods could probably make an appearance.

Does Naughty dog have a 2nd team? They're still finishing up the last of us aren't they?

Yep. They were working on Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us simultaneously. The Uncharted 3 team undoubtedly moved onto next gen development once it came out.

Similarly, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrilla Games have each expanded to two teams, so they've been working on their PS4 projects for a while now (both of which are new franchises).

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Won't that be the case with them basically being off the shelp PC parts and architecture? Realistically, how much difference will their be in coding between PC, PS4 and net Xbox?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I do laugh at both Sony an Microsoft potentially having the exact same CPU in their systems.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Double. Silly phone posting.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Triple. Grrrrr phones.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I hope so unco. I like Sony and would love for them to come back from the pretty aweful last Gen.

Aweful is a stretch is it not?

Horrible launch year & game lineup? Yes
    PSN debacle? Yes

But outside of those two The fact that its where it is today as far as console sales & games lineup is remarkable itn't it?

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    I personally think showing it before the release of The last of Us & GoWA is a mistake... the two biggest games coming this year should be all everyone is talking about right now (playstation related)

This couldnt wait for a month before E3?

• Options
    It's not like people are suddenly going to not buy those games.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, didn't God of War 2 come out way after the Ps3 was shown off?

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if we'll see another Uncharted. Naughty Dog has said that they don't carry over their franchises to new generations of consoles.

http://thegamershub.net/2011/08/naughty-dog-is-‘one-franchise-per-console’/

I'm not sure how much I believe this, I think it was probably just a way to get people to shut up about a Jak sequel. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if we'll see another Uncharted. Naughty Dog has said that they don't carry over their franchises to new generations of consoles.

I'm not sure how much I believe this, I think it was probably just a way to get people to shut up about a Jak sequel. :P

And Crash. Naughty dog's been pretty consistent at leaving their "worlds" locked to a hardware gen.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    To be fair, tribal tat'd Crash came out on the Wii. :P

I try to forget that was ever a thing. D:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    I wonder if the "technical challenges" that have supposedly delayed The Last Guardian mean that it's gonna be released on PS4.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    xraydog wrote: »
    I wonder if the "technical challenges" that have supposedly delayed The Last Guardian mean that it's gonna be released on PS4.

at this point, with no release date and nothing shown for so long, i would bet that thats the case.

• Options
    edited February 2013

You're like one of those people that argue that there were Matrix sequels. Terrible people that are anti fun.

But you're right of course, there have been jak's games on the psp that are not ports/PS2 remakes.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

at this point, with no release date and nothing shown for so long, i would bet that thats the case.

I'm hoping for the exact same thing with Versus, including a new name.

• Options
    Bastable wrote: »

You're like one of those people that argue that there were Matrix sequels. Terrible people that are anti fun.

But you're right of course, there have been jak's games on the psp that are not ports/PS2 remakes.

Ha...I've never seen the first Matrix. :P

Seriously though...weren't all the handheld titles handled by other devs and not Naughty Dog.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

And Crash. Naughty dog's been pretty consistent at leaving their "worlds" locked to a hardware gen.

That wasn't by choice though. Their deal with Universal/Vivendi was for 3 games and that's it. CTR only existed thanks to Sony negotiating an extension.

There's no way Naught Dog are giving up on Uncharted. It's way too popular for them to just hand off to others and now that they've got 2 teams, they're in no danger of just becoming the "Uncharted studio." Whatever new games they want to do, they can do them. And they'll probably be expanded even further to 3 teams in a few years.
    Yeah, didn't God of War 2 come out way after the Ps3 was shown off?

Not only that, it came out months after the PS3 launched, in 2007.

In hindsight, delaying the PS3 launch to late 2007 probably would've been a smart idea. The PS2 was still doing fantastically at that point and they would've lost a hell of a lot less money on the PS3.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I'm hoping a lot of things will be different this time around now that Kutaragi doesn't have free reign to do whatever the hell he wants.

• Options
    edited February 2013

Ha...I've never seen the first Matrix. :P

Seriously though...weren't all the handheld titles handled by other devs and not Naughty Dog.

Yeah I think that's true of all the PSP games from sony franchises: God of war, killzone were not done by Sony SM, or guerrilla. I think Vita's Killzone is done by sony cambridge aka Guerrilla cambridge (used to make wipeoutgames).

Actully with Sony/Guerrilla cambridge working Killzone I'm guessing no new wipeouts for the PS4?

Oh ignore me Wipeout is Liverpool which is dead :(

Bastable on

• Options
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I'm hoping a lot of things will be different this time around now that Kutaragi doesn't have free reign to do whatever the hell he wants.

Well, he is the CEO of Sony now, sooo...

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular

Kaz is the CEO.

• Options

Kaz is the CEO.

...aw dammit, I mix those two up all the time.

• Options

Kaz is the CEO.

What a racist.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Even before Kaz Hirai became the CEO, I always kept assuming he was the CEO anyway because he was always the one making bombastically stupid statements to support the business.

God, I hope he delivers the announcement.

• Options
    edited February 2013

Kaz is the CEO.

What a racist.

....I don't get it.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jason Killingsworth, of Edge, weighs in via Twitter:
    On February 20th, Sony will unveil its PS4 Kickstarter.

Something inside of me is quietly saying, "Please, god, let me enjoy some schadenfreude."

• Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    That was a waste of 14mb. Gif makers really need to learn that whole thing about brevity being the soul of wit.

At any rate I contest the sentiment of the image. If anything Sony was the one panicking to MS' countdown to E3 2013.

This discussion has been closed.