As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Super Thread: Reggie thinks he's a videogame

agoajagoaj Top TierOne FearRegistered User regular
edited December 2013 in Games and Technology
M4s03Df.png
November 7th: Marth announced as returning veteran.
October 1st: Sonic the Hedgehog announced as returning veteran.
September 26th: Toon Link announced as returning veteran.

daily.jpg

It's been five years since the last Super Smash Bros. graced our televisions. While Brawl had its share of problems, nobody can deny the meticulous attention to detail and the masterful presentation that oozed throughout. Now it's time for a new era of Smash Bros., and this time we're getting TWO games at once: Smash Bros. for the Wii U and Smash Bros. for the 3DS. It's looking like maximum Smash Bros. saturation in here.

So read on, and bask yourself in the new and information as we await the release of these promising titles. Also: if you start up competitive vs. casual fights in this thread, you'll be in trouble. Keep it up, and you'll be banned from all future Smash Bros. threads, and we don't want that!

Without any more hesitation, let's get into to the good stuff.

Get Ready to Smash

SP9z538.jpg
PN6pII6.png3JhSHcF.png24bX2Bt.pngj42y89C.pngLILj5RR.png
tr0PClH.png0yVUnUJ.pngThYlF9c.pngqBIRJ5Y.pngMZM9Y0C.png
Q0SZHMh.png7RMRNFe.png5LstGJ4.pngMsbSj7c.pngglQQzqG.png

Ov6lJe8.gif
fFdVvWY.pngORXlMgP.pngAWkE2Jp.png

sHDXgh6.jpg
Not much on stages is known, and this section will grow as more details drip in.

Both
  • Battlefield
3DS
  • Arena Ferox
  • Nintendogs Stage
  • Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks stage
  • Mushroom Kingdom Stage
  • Gerudo Valley
  • Mario Land 3D Stage
Wii U
  • Wii Fit Stage
  • Skyward Sword Stage
  • Boxing/Wrestling Ring Stage
  • Smashville(?)
  • Dr. Wily's Castle
  • Pikmin themed stage
  • Pilotwings Stage
  • Pyrosphere

Ji9vOST.jpg
WHEN IS THIS COMING OUT?

The current date is "2014" and nothing more. It's worth noting that Brawl was announced in 2006, but was delayed a coupled times until 2008. Also, the two versions are highly likely to have different release dates due to technical reasons. Either way, I'd curb my enthusiasm and expect Holiday 2014 before either comes along.

Have the wonderful daily Dojo updates returned?

Not yet, assuming this is even going to be a thing. There are daily screenshots being posted to the Smash Bros. community in Miiverse (which are uploaded to the main website), but so far there's no word on whether or not we're going to get game updates five days a week. Keep in mind that we waited a year after Brawl was revealed for the Dojo to even start updating, so Dojo updates could start next Monday or in December. They may not even happen at all (some sources say Sakurai underestimated how much work updated that site turned out to be).

Will there be cross-platform multiplayer?

Nope, which is weird because I think someone said yes during E3, but whatever. The two versions will have some kind of interplay, but you'll be limited to fighting people who own the same version(s) as you.

How different are the versions?

Rosters are going to be identical, although the 3DS is apparently having difficulty with characters like Ice Climbers, so there might be differences in how a character plays on each version. Stages will differ, with the 3DS having stages taken from handheld franchises and the Wii U preferring stages rooted in home console history.

Oh, and if you hate or love the outlines on the 3DS character models, then you'll be happy to know that you can make them thicker or disappear entirely!

Tripping is...?

...gone. The goal is to strike more of a balance between accessible party game and competitive fighter. Basically, somewhere between Melee and Brawl.

How many third-party characters?

Not many, but currently unknown. It's real hard to negotiate with 50 different companies over the rights and money aspects. I'd say no more than five, and that is being generous. Besides Mega Man, maybe Sonic and a Namco character (since Namco is helping with development). Possibly a Konami character, likely Snake again since Sakurai and Kojima are best buddies.

What gimmicks are we getting with the Game Pad/Touch Screen?

Nothing that will affect the main gameplay, although I imagine touch screens will be nice should stage creation be a returning feature. Sakurai said that the two-pad limit for Wii U would make any touch screen feature unfair, and there's probably no touch screen gimmick for the 3DS because it'd be annoying as hell.

8RlVDI0.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyoUfy5hGs

NhGX7uT.jpg
J9ngOWW.jpg
cl7tPEV.jpg
VpSwvob.jpg
p9WgRfd.jpg
p4q8ndq.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
agoaj on

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i cast taj

a wild mewtwo appears

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I want to note that, while I don't think Nintendo cares that much about modding or whatever, any hint of piracy in this thread will get your ass infracted. Brawl is cheap as hell anyways, so there's no excuse.

Also: nobody cares how you play a video game. The Brawl thread of yore was filled with childish fights over items and Final Destination, and that's bullshit that goes nowhere. Don't do it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, is this just a general SSB thread? If so...

I hope the next game ditches FLUDD on Mario, or at least makes it optional. Bring back the spin-punch as it used to be, and give it a Galaxy-styled flourish, while the regular spin returns.

If Daisy winds up just being a different Peach costume, then go all the way with it: Voice, name, etc.

Hoping they add more than they take away, and I hope Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Mr. Game & Watch are here to stay.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    So, is this just a general SSB thread? If so...

I hope the next game ditches FLUDD on Mario, or at least makes it optional. Bring back the spin-punch as it used to be, and give it a Galaxy-styled flourish, while the regular spin returns.

If Daisy winds up just being a different Peach costume, then go all the way with it: Voice, name, etc.

Hoping they add more than they take away, and I hope Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Mr. Game & Watch are here to stay.

I don't know, I'd rather FLUDD just be made useful. Creates a bigger difference between him and Luigi.

I wonder if anyone who's survived 2 or 3 games will be axed?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Mega Man better be in the next game or else. Mega Man was a Nintendo exclusive for years, and even after the franchise began having games on other systems there were still more Nintendo-exclusive titles than exclusives for other systems (the entirety of the Zero series, the entirety of the ZX series, the entirety of the Star Force series, and the vast majority of the Battle Network series).

Put Megaman.exe in the next Smash Bros and give him a semi-randomized move set based on battle chips from the games (for example, over B could cycle randomly through a sword slash, an arm drill, or a yo-yo). Assuming they keep the Smash Ball, Megaman.exe's Smash move could be Hub style, which could do what the hell ever I don't know.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    My greatest hopes are that they completely redo Wolf Falco and Ganondorf.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My biggest hope is that they keep Ike around.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    My biggest hope is that they bring back the Dojo.

Getting new infos every day before release through that was fantastic.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I have never had more fun in my life than when I moved to Australia and got involved in competitive Melee.

When I moved back to the States, none of my friends wanted anything to do with it. They showed some interest at first, but aren't the kinds of people who understand that you need to lose before you can win, so they gave up really quickly on the competitive scene.

I miss that shit so much.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I think they should ditch the Ice Climbers and bring in a new tag team duo in Banjo and Kazooie.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I think they should ditch the Ice Climbers and bring in a new tag team duo in Banjo and Kazooie.

boo hiss

Also impossible/unlikely since Banjo&Kazooie belong to Rare and Microsoft now.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

#1 - Terrible idea is terrible.
    #2 - Banjo is owned and neglected by MS.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Okay, Banjo and Kazooie are awesome and I resent the implication that they are not.

Also, I know it won't happen, I'd just like to see it happen.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm curious to see if Snake will appear again, given Raiden is now a Sony Smash Bro.

Also I think it'd be neat to make palette swap characters like, an alternate costume with tweaked moves. So Mario gets Dr Mario, Tennis, Fludd, all on the one character slot, and no dupes of him running around. Then ya got the potential for 4 player Mario with slight differences that makes it all neat and impossible to have exact dupe characters in a match and would further annoy the Final Destination Fox Only No Items crowd.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to play Melee at EVO. I was planning to go even before the donation drive was announced, but now I am stoked. I've never competed outside of Atlantic Canada before, so it should be real interesting.

As far as Brawl modding goes, I've been playing a lot of Project M recently and it's really nice.

• Options
    All I want is Shulk.

And Dunban.

And Reyn.

And Riki.

• Options
    If Shulk doesn't make it in, it'll be a crime.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'd say Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch and ROB are in no danger of going away, cause Sakurai loves him some crazy crap.
    I'm curious to see if Snake will appear again, given Raiden is now a Sony Smash Bro.

Snake being in that crazy NEC fighting evolution thing didn't stop him from being in Brawl, so....

That said I think the number one lesson from Sony Smash Bros. is that throwing in too many random third-party characters can actually detract from the experience. I mean, they made a gigantic deal out of throwing in Big Daddy, and the reaction to the announcement ranged from "eh" to "er... why?"

A lot of people are making a big deal about how, since Namco's working on it, that means Tekken characters must be in. But I couldn't really see them blending in all that well. Pac-Man, though? I'd be willing to put some money on that one. Mega Man I'd love, but considering Capcom couldn't be arsed to give the guy any sort of anniversary celebration I'm not holding my breath. But give me those two and I'm happy.

The bigger question is which Nintendo characters will be added this time around. I mean, all their major and secondary video game stars are in already. What could they add now?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    I could see a few of the Assist Trophy characters getting upgraded to full character status, like Issac or Little Mac.

• Options
    Ooooh, Little Mac would be a good 'un. He'd likely have a style different from every other character. And since we got a new Punch-Out game chances of him getting an upgrade are pretty decent.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't really think any characters are going to get dropped, assuming there are no complications with Snake or Sonic. The ones that were removed from Melee were really superfluous clone characters. I could maybe see Ike and Lucario being replaced with more modern representatives though.

For new characters I don't really care that much. Mega Man remains my top pick.

• Options
    Kid Icarus Uprising gave us a few characters that would be wonderful additions such as Palutena, Hades, and more importantly Viridi.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Snake was actually in the game from really early because Sakamoto and Kojima are good friends - in fact, Kojima might as well be part of the Nintendo family, if it weren't for his love of bleeding edge equipment to work on.

Sonic was a very last minute addition; I don't see that happening next time around.

Mega Man might be thrown as a bone from Capcom, but given how much they are trying to ignore the franchise and their getting rid of Intacreates, it's one of those really unlikely things. X or Zero might be more common.

I expect a healthy dose of Namco and Platinum characters to show up in the game, though. The most impressive thing about the series is that it is not called Nintendo Smash Brothers, it is called just Smash Brothers - so they can get away with a ton more if Nintendo wanted to.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So if anyone still has their copy of the original Smash Bros laying around and an N64, give this a try.
    Get Ness and Fox (2 Nesses will work but a Fox is easier). Go to a nice wide flatish stage like the castle or the Arwing.
    Stand far apart. Have Ness PK thunder and hit Fox as close to horizontal as possible so that when Fox reflects it goes back to Ness. When it gets to Ness hit it with the bat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Isn't discussion of Brawl mods a bit of a no-no considering the rather shady methods needed to implement them?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Bayonetta is a likely addition to the roster, methinks.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Not if they want to keep a "T" rating. :P

• Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    There are perfectly legit ways of using Brawl mods, given a nifty exploit in the Stage Builder. No homebrew or hard-modding required, and you still need a legit copy of Brawl to play.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Dude, if they could get away with Zero Suit Samus...

The biggest problem is Bayonetta's use of guns, as they are so signature to her. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to have her in some real clothing as opposed to her hair, and then using the whip weapons or something sword based. Beyond that, it would be perfectly easy to get her into the game, as she'd fit into the Samus/Snake aesthetic.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Dude, if they could get away with Zero Suit Samus...

The biggest problem is Bayonetta's use of guns, as they are so signature to her. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to have her in some real clothing as opposed to her hair, and then using the whip weapons or something sword based. Beyond that, it would be perfectly easy to get her into the game, as she'd fit into the Samus/Snake aesthetic.

Eh, maybe. She would be pretty distinctive. Though Nintendo hasn't thrown characters into past Smashes just because they have a good working relationship. We didn't get Layton, after all. (Though he would be awesome -- his super move would be to force everyone else to solve a puzzle or take massive damage.)

Not sure Sonic would be that hard to get this time around... unless attitudes have changed I would think that incorporating him in Brawl would make thinks that much easier. Besides, Sonic is one of Sega's four "pillars" now, so you'd think they'd be happy to pimp him out as often as possible. (See: Wreck-It Ralph, especially one of the alternate posters for the flick that put Sonic front and center.)

• Options
    I would give my right arm to see Frog from Chrono Trigger as a playable character in a Smash game.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I would give my right arm to see Frog from Chrono Trigger as a playable character in a Smash game.

There are not enough agree buttons in the entire forum for this post.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Would be awesome, but won't happen. I don't think Chrono Trigger is ever referenced in Smash Bros via trophies or stickers, is it?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    As long as they don't cut anyone I played, I don't really care who they add as long as it's not Krystal.

Wouldn't mind K.Rool and some other F-Zero racers though (speaking of which, just give Ganondorf's current moveset to Black Shadow and then make a new moveset for Ganondorf that better fits him).

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Dear Mr. Sakurai,

Please don't let Captain Falcon play like ass again.

Your biggest fan,

Chen

PS. I want to play as a badass purple space dragon.
    PPS. Tripping wasn't enjoyable and will not ever be enjoyable.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm hoping the new game adds back the characters cut from Brawl (i.e. Mewtwo, etc). I also liked that someone had apparently datamined Plusie and Minun (sp?) as a removed character - guessing they would have been an Ice Climbers-like version of Pikachu. That would have been cool.

Edit: Also, which franchises do Namco-Bandai own to show up as characters? Besides Pacman? :P (Super Smash = everyone turns blue and you can eat them :D)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Would be awesome, but won't happen. I don't think Chrono Trigger is ever referenced in Smash Bros via trophies or stickers, is it?

Not that I'm aware of, no. Not in Melee, anyway. I didn't enjoy Brawl at all, so there may be a reference in there somewhere that I never saw. But yeah, man. Chrono Trigger is full of characters that would be awesome in a Smash game. Frog's my favorite, but Robo and Ayla would also be top choices.

I honestly wouldn't care if Frog were considered far below basement-tier -- I'd play the shit out of him.

• Options
    Honestly Dragon Warrior characters are much more likely to end up in Smash, as Square is still maintaining that FF is primarily a Sony thing and DQ is Nintendo's realm these days. There were no Square characters in any Smash game up to this point that I'm aware of, even though FF guys worked on brawl.

As much as I rag on Playstation All Stars, I think the "Jump Superstars" model of fighting game needs to be brought out more. It makes for a fun engine that scales to multiple players easily, allows for scaling skill, and can throw a lot of variety into the same bag. Any of the "Old Guard" publishers could easily throw together a game of that style and have it sell.

Why Square, Capcom, or Sega haven't tried is beyond me.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Considering they seem to want to give the Xeno-franchise a bit more spotlight room, I fully expect Shulk to show up.

I'd be ever so mildly disappointed if he doesn't.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Mega Man better be in the next game or else. Mega Man was a Nintendo exclusive for years, and even after the franchise began having games on other systems there were still more Nintendo-exclusive titles than exclusives for other systems (the entirety of the Zero series, the entirety of the ZX series, the entirety of the Star Force series, and the vast majority of the Battle Network series).

Put Megaman.exe in the next Smash Bros and give him a semi-randomized move set based on battle chips from the games (for example, over B could cycle randomly through a sword slash, an arm drill, or a yo-yo). Assuming they keep the Smash Ball, Megaman.exe's Smash move could be Hub style, which could do what the hell ever I don't know.
    Bad Box Art Mega Man confirmed.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.