As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Right Answer] In SE++ (Best Revenge-Fueled Badass Ever)

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Social Entropy++
If you're like me, you know The Escapist website mainly due to this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V6MI1ZSRfg

To my surprise however, I discovered that Zero Punctuation wasn't the only show in town over there.

MMI247K.jpg

There's also one called No Right Answer, hosted by these two delightful chaps up above. Every Thursday, Chris and Kyle (and sometimes third-wheel/substitute Dan) deliver a new video in which they choose a general topic to geek-debate over, each picking a particular subject to present as the best choice befitting the show's topic. Some of their friendly arguments include...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjhmNKskFg4

...Worst VideoGame Ending Ever (FF7 Vs GTA3)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEweH-A9dTw

...Best ComicBook-Based Cartoon (TMNT '87 Vs Batman: TAS)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJbSrVu_qAM

...and Manliest Superhero Ever (Wonder Woman Vs Superman).

Liking what I saw, I thought I'd make a thread in which those from the forum could give their own two cents about their weekly topic and which choice is indeed deserving of said topic's label. However, there's a few guidelines I want to drop first before anything else.

1) No Personal Insults: Having spent years here, I know how heated some back-n-forth posts can get and said wild posts can get threads locked quick. I can also see how a thread all about arguing your point could more easily bring a lockdown quicker then others so right off the bat, no major personal attacks. I'm guessing calling someone here the mod-ok'd zing of 'silly goose' is fine and I expect to hear an 'ignorant slut' or two, but no major cussing at each other. If you've gotten to the point where can't argue your opinion without calling someone a piece of s#!t, you've gotten a little too invested in winning the argument and it's time to step away from the thread for a while. Speaking of arguing your point...

2) No 'X Is Better Because Y Is Dumb' Posts: I know this is SE++ and I'm not asking for you guys to write a thesis but if the No Right Answer guys can come up with reasons and rebuttals that last longer then three words, so can we. Think Final Fantasy 7 sucks because of Cloud or the ending or Tifa's boobs? Fine, state as much but at least make the effort as to explain why they make FF7 suck. 'Cloud is whiny', 'Ending blows' or 'They're too small' aren't enough.

3) Write-In Third Options Are Allowed: Everyone has an opinion about what the worst and best of something is and the two choices picked by the No Right Answer guys for the topic will most likely not be your own. Plus this is SE++ where thread-derails are practically required by law. So if you think you have a more deserving nominee for the weekly topic, go ahead and drop it in the thread. It must however be a legit choice for the weekly topic (for example no Michael Jackson for Best President Ever) and you must tell us in detail why it's a better choice then the two in the week's video. Again, no 1000-word report. Just enough for proper representation of the write-in as well as giving others enough fodder to agree or disagree on your opinion.

I can't think of any more rules at the moment but I'll add any if needed here as the thread goes on if I see it needs it or if a mod yells at me to add it. As for this week's debate, substitute Dan and Kyle went for the topic Video-Game Franchise That Needs To Die The Most. Do you agree with Dan that Sonic The Hedgehog needs to be put down or is Kyle right that Call Of Duty has been spread too thin across too many titles to ever be a viable series again?

Owenashi on

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    what the fuck are video games

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    What's a YaYa

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    What's a

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I am unable to make it more than a minute or two into either of the videos I tried without feeling intense disdain for the two of them

Opinionated nerds arguing about bullshit is entertainment? I thought it was the worst part of hanging out with some of my friends' friends.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    For the sake of all adolescents, Sonic.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'm down with the idea of wanting a series of games to die. Especially since video games bring a lot of happiness to a lot of people.

• Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Brackets and parentheses?

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I didn't read all of the op but

sounds like homework to me

icGJy2C.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it's simple

we kill the batman

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    call of duty because colors and generations were really good games and did new stuff but i can't say that about blops or mwe3

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    As for the topic, I agree with neither

Generations means the series is slowly finding its footing, and Call of Duty just tried something interesting with Black Ops II

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Black Ops wasn't bad. Haven't played the sequel.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Madden NFL

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm not a Sonic fan, far from it, but I'd be sad to lose this franchise because they just keep trying.

I've never played a Call of Duty but I'll lump it into the "too many games where you shoot things" category. I certainly wouldn't mind less of these games.

I love that Madden 14 is just called Madden 25

The real important thing to remember about Call of Duty and the annualization of it is that it is not the same case as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Guitar Hero or (some would argue) Madden

Like them or not, Call of Duty games have been consistently good games since Call of Duty 4

Antimatter wrote: »
    it's simple

we kill the batman

I know you hate the games, but really? Right before they make that long-rumored Silver Age game?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it's simple

we kill the batman

I know you hate the games, but really? Right before they make that long-rumored Silver Age game?

it was a JOKE

and i dont hate the games, i think they're fun as hell

i think the aesthetic is dumb and the misogyny is awful

I thought way too much about that

I looked at it at first as a joke, and then thought "Wait, this is her subtly saying to kill the Batman series"

As usual I overthink everything

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    it's simple

we kill the batman

Batman batman

not batman video game

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited February 2013
    Wait, Sonic Adventure 3 is coming?

Never mind, I changed my answer

Kill Sonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaZo81-wuS0

UnbreakableVow on
    its not coming i don't think

also sonic adventure 2 was rad and chao raising was rad and CRUSH 40 was rad and LIVE AND LEARRNNNNNNNNNNNN

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    it's simple

we kill the batman

Batman batman

not batman video game

batman batman batman dot com

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say I want sonic to die.

They need to stop making three d sonic games though.

And I'm personally a bit burnt out on Zelda games though I wouldn't want them to die either.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Guys, Piccolo just reflected one of Frieza's blasts back at him and when it hit there were billowing clouds of dust and smoke obscuring frieza dramatically for a bit but he was in the air so where did the dust all come from???

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Are rocksteady still doing that new batman game?

• Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    I vote this is now the batman thread.

funniest_crazy_cool_pictures_of_payback_batman_20100318_1594439541.jpg

Blake T wrote: »
    Are rocksteady still doing that new batman game?

I don't think it was ever "officially" confirmed but they have nothing else in the pipeline that anyone knows about, so I'm guessing yes

I imagine something will be said/shown at E3

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    It's hard to imagine that making fewer Sonic games will improve the IP. I dunno.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    we strike at the pong series in the past, halting the rise of video games before it starts

0BnD8l3.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Nerds arguing about video games on the internet? I think i'll pass.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Buys, Piccolo just reflected one of Frieza's blasts back at him and when it hit there were billowing clouds of dust and smoke obscuring frieza dramatically for a bit but he was in the air so where did the dust all come from???

it's simple; the government planted fuel tanks inside of frieza to make onlookers THINK there was a reflected blast, when in reality it was a controlled detonation

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I really actually liked 75% of Final fantasy 13. I didn't even mind that the story was effectively on rails. But god, the script and the voice acting...kill me now.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    FFXIII had the best character of any FF game: chocobo chick

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    This isn't about No Right Answer but I just have to say that Yahtzee's 2009 "review" of Duke Nukem Forever is like my 8th favorite thing ever.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I can't really think of any game franchises I hate a lot

if I don't like a game in a franchise I just stop buying them

why should I care if it keeps going or not