As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]bowl

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    god damnit Sprint is STILL trying to get $400 out of me for not returning my phone when I did and I have the reciept

fuck's sake

a collection's agency just called, I offered the guy $83 (which is what I actually owe sprint) and he said they can't do that. I asked him to provide written proof that I actually owe that money and he said he had no obligation to provide anything and if I didn't like it I could take them to court. This is what I need more shit on my credit report that's impossible to remove

bleegh

INFORM HIM THAT HE IS IN VIOLATION OF THE FAIR DEBTS COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT AND THAT EACH VIOLATION HENCEFORTH SHALL BE A FINE IN YOUR FAVOR FOR $1000. EACH VIOLATION. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Going forward, he needs to provide you with written proof that the debt is valid, and, you should, inform him that he is no longer allowed to contact you by phone.

Well he might be violating the law but what can I do about it? I've only gotten one call with one guy who refused to work with me (I even offered to pay more than what I actually owed) he wasn't interested in talking to me

He seemed far more interested in putting a black mark on my credit report than resolving the debt

Keep a running log and cross reference to your phone bill's logs. Then, file a claim in small claims court or get a lawyer involved because sometimes they do this 10 times.

They don't get to go "okay well it'll take a 48 hours to remove you from our system" "okay well that's still $1000 per call."

See having been going through some issues with bankruptcy this was an issue for me too. They stop calling when you threaten to take them to court for 100x's what you owe them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    It's pretty cut and dry if you've kept a phone log and have a phone bill referencing their calls. Like, you show up, show the judge, and they bang their gavel and you're done.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I've called Sprint twice, both times they've agreed with me and said they'd mail me an updated bill and failed to do so, now I guess a collection agency has it

thing is I know I can make them go away by having them stop calling but I'm trying to buy a car, I need to get this shit off my credit report

I have a bank statement showing sprint refund me $105 for returning the phone and a receipt (partially faded, date and amount still visible)

override367 on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    god damnit Sprint is STILL trying to get $400 out of me for not returning my phone when I did and I have the reciept

fuck's sake

a collection's agency just called, I offered the guy $83 (which is what I actually owe sprint) and he said they can't do that. I asked him to provide written proof that I actually owe that money and he said he had no obligation to provide anything and if I didn't like it I could take them to court. This is what I need more shit on my credit report that's impossible to remove

bleegh

INFORM HIM THAT HE IS IN VIOLATION OF THE FAIR DEBTS COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT AND THAT EACH VIOLATION HENCEFORTH SHALL BE A FINE IN YOUR FAVOR FOR $1000. EACH VIOLATION. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Going forward, he needs to provide you with written proof that the debt is valid, and, you should, inform him that he is no longer allowed to contact you by phone.

Well he might be violating the law but what can I do about it? I've only gotten one call with one guy who refused to work with me (I even offered to pay more than what I actually owed) he wasn't interested in talking to me

He seemed far more interested in putting a black mark on my credit report than resolving the debt, so now I have to send a dispute to the credit bureau and wait 90 days ugh

Hit the gym
    Lawyer Up.
    Use Protection

Bless your heart.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Internet promotion can be infuriating. I sent The Black Dog, a really big act, a promo and they liked it but didn't contact me back when that's the whole point of a promo, and Brendon Moeller, a huuuuge name with like 25k followers on soundcloud, pimped my link a few days ago with no tangible results.

But some novelty song can take off like ... like a god damn VIRUS

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Put a block on your credit report, and inform them that there's a false collections and get a letter of proof from sprint.

You can pretty much get a car with a 300 credit rating, by the way.

edited February 2013
    Obviously unblock your credit when you try to get the car loan approved. Then reblock it.

bowen on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    took four minutes off my 5km time

belief is awesome

i feel great

my legs do not

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

fuck's sake

bleegh

He seemed far more interested in putting a black mark on my credit report than resolving the debt, so now I have to send a dispute to the credit bureau and wait 90 days ugh

Hit the gym
    Lawyer Up.
    Use Protection

he said he'd take $225, it's not worth missing work for $140 (the disputed amount), but I mean he spent zero effort trying to get me to pay. frankly the guy was just bad at his job as a collections agent, since their job is typically to like collect

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Internet promotion can be infuriating. I sent The Black Dog, a really big act, a promo and they liked it but didn't contact me back when that's the whole point of a promo, and Brendon Moeller, a huuuuge name with like 25k followers on soundcloud, pimped my link a few days ago with no tangible results.

But some novelty song can take off like ... like a god damn VIRUS

That's...That it! EUREKA!
    Encode one of your pieces into a highly contagious virus such as the flu..and..
    PROFIT

Bless your heart.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

fuck's sake

bleegh

Hit the gym
    Lawyer Up.
    Use Protection

he said he'd take $225, it's not worth missing work for $140 (the disputed amount), but I mean he spent zero effort trying to get me to pay. frankly the guy was just bad at his job as a collections agent, since their job is typically to like collect

extortion.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Woooo yeah. Three day week. Staycation here I come. Just got to get to humpday.

Yes and him being bad at his job can cost his company $1000 every time he fucks up.
    So basically if anyone bothered to report it he'd be looking for a new job already

Bless your heart.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Mistaken debt collectors are awfully hard to shake off unless their employer assists. Badgering Sprint everyday till something positive happens might work

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    goddamnit, this is annoying

for some reason i've been dropped from my programming class for 'never attended'

despite my having attended every time o_o

and despite my professor saying he hasn't even sent over the semester attendance benchmark

him: this doesn't make sense
    the lady at records and registration: this doesn't make sense, come back and see a manager in about an hour

now i have to run around and take care of this and hope it doesn't interfere with me accessing/submitting the files i need for this incredibly online-heavy class

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    la la la?

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Mistaken debt collectors are awfully hard to shake off unless their employer assists. Badgering Sprint everyday till something positive happens might work

the US has this practice of companies selling the debts to debt collectors, so the employer might not even be sprint any more

aRkpc.gif
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Don't worry Jeep, when we teach our students English the curriculum dictates that we call soccer soccer.

Watching the European JETs have to teach it as soccer makes up for any silly handegg nonsense.

:P

First Japan, then the world!

I assume it is similar in other English programs around the world, mostly because they like to teach American English because generally in terms of business it is the most useful, and you have to settle on one standard anyway, and, might as well go for the country with the most influence.

I have to admit I do feel bad for the students that get stuck with, like, the Irish ALT that has a really thick accent to the point that some native speakers have a hard time understanding her. I have to scratch my head at decisions like that. She is a sweet girl and all but I don't see why she got a job teaching English.

Anyway, it is late and I need to get to bed so goodnight chat!
    Maybe because she is a native english speaker? I'm surprised they are having a hard time understanding her, shouldn't they just be learning an Irish accent instead?

A Polish friend of a friend moved to Ireland and learnt english there, she has the most amazing accent on her english now.

Irish is not very easy to understand for people who don't even know english, and no, them learning an irish accent would be a bad idea. Because then their english would be different from everybody elses.
    I meant as in, if you don't know english every accent is equally difficult to learn.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Organichu wrote: »
    goddamnit, this is annoying

for some reason i've been dropped from my programming class for 'never attended'

despite my having attended every time o_o

and despite my professor saying he hasn't even sent over the semester attendance benchmark

him: this doesn't make sense
    the lady at records and registration: this doesn't make sense, come back and see a manager in about an hour

now i have to run around and take care of this and hope it doesn't interfere with me accessing/submitting the files i need for this incredibly online-heavy class

even though you're present, your contribution is so minuscule that

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    [chat], I am honored to present you
    Screen%20shot%202013-02-04%20at%209.36.37%20AM.png

YOUR CONTEMPORARY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

fuck's sake

bleegh

Hit the gym
    Lawyer Up.
    Use Protection

Write them a certified letter right the fuck now asking for documentation that you owe the debt. They have to respond or the debt goes poof and they get their ass kicked if they touch your credit report.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited February 2013
    Here's the thing, they buy that debt for pennies on the dollar.

So $83 nets them about $50 in profit probably.

Say "Either you can send me a final bill for $83, and it must state this settles the collection, or you don't get it, or, you must prove the debt is valid and contact me only by mail. If you fail to do these, you are in violation of the FDCPA and each violation is $1000 in my favor. I am keeping a running log from this point forward."

My lawyer was a huge asshole to these guys, but he was totally worth that $1100.

bowen on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    NO BUZZ ALDRIN

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    lets just get one thing abundantly clear

everything everywhere was invented by the UK

then plagiarised and made better by other countries

this has been the way of things since time immemorial

are you ready

* bum bum bump bum dum da *

for the INAUGURAL ADDRESS

*whaaaa whaaaa yeaaaaah*

sponsored by PIZZA HUT

woo woo woo un un get it

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Don't worry Jeep, when we teach our students English the curriculum dictates that we call soccer soccer.

Watching the European JETs have to teach it as soccer makes up for any silly handegg nonsense.

:P

First Japan, then the world!

I assume it is similar in other English programs around the world, mostly because they like to teach American English because generally in terms of business it is the most useful, and you have to settle on one standard anyway, and, might as well go for the country with the most influence.

I have to admit I do feel bad for the students that get stuck with, like, the Irish ALT that has a really thick accent to the point that some native speakers have a hard time understanding her. I have to scratch my head at decisions like that. She is a sweet girl and all but I don't see why she got a job teaching English.

Anyway, it is late and I need to get to bed so goodnight chat!
    Maybe because she is a native english speaker? I'm surprised they are having a hard time understanding her, shouldn't they just be learning an Irish accent instead?

A Polish friend of a friend moved to Ireland and learnt english there, she has the most amazing accent on her english now.

Irish is not very easy to understand for people who don't even know english, and no, them learning an irish accent would be a bad idea. Because then their english would be different from everybody elses.
    I meant as in, if you don't know english every accent is equally difficult to learn.

well, yeah, in principle. But in reality you get english from a lot of places but your english teacher.

Hence why norwegians have either a generic american-but-not sounding accent, a horrible norwegian one, or a very posh english one.

ftOqU21.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

we invented your language.

ftOqU21.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Say "Either you can send me a final bill for $83, and it must state this settles the collection, or you don't get it, or, you must prove the debt is valid and contact me only by mail. If you fail to do these, you are in violation of the FDCPA and each violation is $1000 in my favor. I am keeping a running log from this point forward."

My lawyer was a huge asshole to these guys, but he was totally worth that $1100.

For large firms like Sprint they probably don't sell the debt, but just contract out some lawyers to collect on their behalf.

Psn:wazukki
    skippy after backsliding a gajillion pounds i am back to eating well today

*weep*

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    la la la?

NO, SKIPPY, NOW IS NOT THE TIME! THIS IS SERIOUS PROBLEMS [CHAT]!

Organichu wrote: »
    skippy after backsliding a gajillion pounds i am back to eating well today

*weep*

yes

let's get our graph on

Is anyone giving out free shit today because of the Super Bowl outcome or does that only happen when teams people care about play in it?

Bless your heart.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

burn the Earth

salt the ground

we're done here

I ate like a fucking pig last night and blew through half my weekly overage points

eek

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Is anyone giving out free shit today because of the Super Bowl outcome or does that only happen when teams people care about play in it?

?

I'm pretty sure you could find some 49ers SUPER BOWL CHAMPS shirts on the cheap.

Psn:wazukki
    I ate like a fucking pig last night and blew through half my weekly overage points

eek

If it makes you feel any better I went over on my calorie limit on alcohol alone last night.
    And I also munched on some fried Wickles and sauteed crab claws.

Bless your heart.
    so I was dropping off sawyer this morning

and one of the other parents started talking to me about tattoos

this happens to me fairly often

for her next one, she said, she is going to get the four book covers of the twilight series on her back

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

we invented your language.

lies

damn lies

wazilla wrote: »

For large firms like Sprint they probably don't sell the debt, but just contract out some lawyers to collect on their behalf.

Or own a subsidiary company that they "sell it too" for tax write off purposes. Like Sallie Mae! Such a racket.

Sallie mae takes out federally ensured debt, does shitty things and doesn't work with the student, student defaults, government pays out the guarantee, sallie mae sells off the loan to their daughter collections company, writes off the bad debt for taxes, though still has to claim the government payout as income (but they lost interest so they can claim that), and then the daughter company collects from the student because bankruptcy doesn't help with private loans, even though apparently private loans are still guaranteed in some fashion (government insured for some reason?)

so I was dropping off sawyer this morning

and one of the other parents started talking to me about tattoos

this happens to me fairly often

for her next one, she said, she is going to get the four book covers of the twilight series on her back

fifty shades of ink

This discussion has been closed.