As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]bowl

1798081828385»

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Herbivore men are also a reasonably documented thing in Japanese media and cultural spaces. It was a frequent discussion point between girls at the Japanese university I attended, back in 2008, though how much it has stuck I do not know

simonwolf on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_qVWqKvypk

real talk i think this song is the modest mousiest modest mouse song they ever did

it's got everything. especially the serene acceptance of the inevitable destruction of you and everything you love

which i think is their most enduring motif. shaking hands with death

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I am reminded of a video I watched on the katana, and basically, how, for some reason, if we read about a viking sword named "stone splitter" or something we all enjoy it for a nice myth. But if we read about a katana that could slice through metal armor we all go "oh wow katanas are such good swords."

Katanas had better goddamn well be good swords, since by the time the ones we're all familiar with emerged, the works of metallurgic genius with razor-sharp edges, firearms were already up to nearly a Civil War/Old West level of technology.

That's like saying, man, we could build a kickass trebuchet out of carbon-fiber composite!

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Why am I a regular now?

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Tav wrote: »
    Modest Mouse are great

Float On is a go-to pick me up song

Yeah, Modest Mouse at their most plucky and 'pick me up' are still just brighter nihilism. The 'good' days preceding an inevitable suicide.

JamesKeenan on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am reminded of a video I watched on the katana, and basically, how, for some reason, if we read about a viking sword named "stone splitter" or something we all enjoy it for a nice myth. But if we read about a katana that could slice through metal armor we all go "oh wow katanas are such good swords."

Katanas had better goddamn well be good swords, since by the time the ones we're all familiar with emerged, the works of metallurgic genius with razor-sharp edges, firearms were already up to nearly a Civil War/Old West level of technology.

That's like saying, man, we could build a kickass trebuchet out of carbon-fiber composite!

(They are not very good swords).

• KanaKana Registered User regular

...I bet we COULD!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

my hanwei xl practical katana begs to differ

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    EVERYONE IN JAPAN IS A DONUT HEAD YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST EXTRA! EXTRA!

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

The smithing behind them is actually super excellent though.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, close the thread.

rRwz9.gif
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.