As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestle]mania is Sunday! All other promotions have shows in New York too.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Oh, is it time to break AJ and Dolph up already?

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    whyyyyyy

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The laughter from King and Cole is a little grating.

I wish they'd have Bork Laser come out

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Heel standing tall on the go-home Raw

Rock's definitely retaining now

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    So the go-home promo is about two crackheads the Rock met once?

...and Vince gets mad at Cena for his promos.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    OK this Raw sounded pretty good but man the Jack Swagger thing either is going to go in a very good direction or a VERY BAD one. I don't see a middle ground here. And maybe I've got the completely wrong vibe from reading the promo and segment but he should be going after Cesaro very soon?

Edit: And did I not see it or did Bo Dallas not get any airtime tonight?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    OK this Raw sounded pretty good but man the Jack Swagger thing either is going to go in a very good direction or a VERY BAD one. I don't see a middle ground here. And maybe I've got the completely wrong vibe from reading the promo and segment but he should be going after Cesaro very soon?

Edit: And did I not see it or did Bo Dallas not get any airtime tonight?

Swagger and Cesaro so far only have one thing in common: they love America, and hate the people. Only Swagger and Dutch hate illegals apparently. I dunno, that entire fucking promo just needs to leave my mind.

And Bo Dallas attacked Wade backstage.

edited February 2013
    I know everyone is sick of the "wait and see" concept but the Swagger thing has me interested in him again and that hasn't happened since his WHT run so I'll, ahem, wait and see how it goes. I mean it wasn't like they were portraying him as a face were they? Was the promo that offensive or just poorly done?

If they try and push Swagger as a face then fuck them but if he's clearly supposed to be a heel then I have no problem with bad guys acting like bigotted shitheads ala JBL. Although I'm just dreading the crowds who actually do cheer him, I fucking KNOW that's going to happen in some places.

wirehead26 on
    edited February 2013
    Extremely offensive, and the good news is he was booed, but I could see it being cheered in some places sadly. The fact that it was booed in TN of all places is a good sign though.

Sweeney Tom on
  • CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    They could end up with the Bret Hart heel in the US/face everywhere else thing. Blue state heel, red state face?

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
    Yeah say what you will about it but at least WWE is attempting to get people to care about Swagger, like him or hate him. And I'm sure they'll get some mainstream pub depending on how far they'll go, which also leads into the afformentioned VERY BAD scenario.

And I can't believe Dutch Mantell is working for WWE again.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    Watching Raw now, and enjoyed the first segment myself.

"I honestly think that Paul Heyman was just trying to upstage the pope."

That, and completely screwing with the audience makes the first segment make complete sense to me. It was useless as far as the storyline goes as it was nothing but filler, but I imagine Heyman and Punk loved it.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Did anyone else notice during the Bryan/Jericho match that Cole called it the Liontamer?

Thought that was a funny slip.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    Thought he said that Jericho was applying it like the Liontamer, or something similar. Which is still weird seeing as they already tend to call the Liontamer the Walls of Jericho.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So if Jack Swaggers uncle is Zeb Coulter, does that mean his cousin is Ann?

Because if there's one person eminently suited to the Rock's... unique sense of humour, it would be Ann Coulter. I smell a massive SummerSlam feud.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Goldust chant during the Cody/Miz match?

Odd.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    That rope flip/baseball slide combo from Cameron and Naomi on Rosa was pretty sweet.

If Jack Swagger had Dean Ambrose's voice, I might start taking him seriously.

edited February 2013
    OK after seeing the Shield promo, Tyler Black still sucks on the mic. Sorry, nothing is going to convince me otherwise. Roman was OK.

Also some online are speculating that the Swagger thing is to set up Del Rio/Swagger at Mania. While not exactly a dream match it's sure a hell of a lot better than the rumored Sheamus/Orton WHT match even if I'd like to see Randy go full heel again. I just hope WWE came to their senses and are NOT going to turn Jericho heel again and face Ryback of all people at Mania.

wirehead26 on
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Black's been fine when he's been called to talk upon during the Shield stuff.
    He's not going to blow anybody away but it's still a massive improvement on what he's produced in the past.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    Finally watched the Swagger thing and I didn't realize that Mantel did most of the talking. No way in hell are they intentionally trying to portray him as a face though. And I can see him not having an issue with Cesaro because he's, you know, white and all but I still hope they address it.

Mantel also mentioned that he's tired of seeing people in "his country" that talk differently than him. They could easily parlay that into a future issue with Cesaro.

I don't want Cesaro to turn face anytime soon though, he's too good right now as a heel. I'm perfectly fine with Del Rio/Swagger right now if that is the plan, plus I'd love to see Swagger win the EC.

Speaking of the PPV, the 6 man tag match will NOT be taking place in the Chamber.

Perhaps they'll team Cesaro and Swagger up? I don't know. Seems silly to have two separate anti-American gimmicks going at once.

The IOC has removed wrestling from the core sports in the Olympics for 2020 which hasn't been met with a ton of support from my twitter stream. But I follow a lot of wrestlers and MMA people so that's probably not surprising. Also History people are kind of bummed about it too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/02/12/ioc-drops-wrestling-2020-olympics/1912179/

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    The internet's favorite scientist, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, is also against it.

Is anyone expecting Big Show to win? I would normally have guessed no, but with no special stipulations it feels less likely for Del Rio.

I'd be surprised if they gave Swagger a push to a WM main event right after he returns, mostly from how he's been handled in the company up to this point. The only other person that makes much sense would be Orton. Don't want to see Del Rio against Henry after a feud with Big Show. Jericho will be caught up with Ziggler I'd guess, unless Ziggler gets another match going. And Kane and Dbry will either defend the titles at WM or go against each other.

The EC preshow is Rhodes Scholars vs Tensai and Brodus

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Magell wrote: »
    The IOC has removed wrestling from the core sports in the Olympics for 2020 which hasn't been met with a ton of support from my twitter stream. But I follow a lot of wrestlers and MMA people so that's probably not surprising. Also History people are kind of bummed about it too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/02/12/ioc-drops-wrestling-2020-olympics/1912179/

This is dumb. Wrestling should be in the Olympics.

I wrestled in high school and went to the US team trials where Angle qualified for the US team for the Olympics where he got his gold.

BLM - ACAB
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

This is dumb. Wrestling should be in the Olympics.

I wrestled in high school and went to the US team trials where Angle qualified for the US team for the Olympics where he got his gold.

Did he make you tap out?

According to Meltzer, TNA's considering having Lockdown only have some matches in the cage, not all, and Hogan and Bischoff are behind the idea.

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    Looks like Geth knows what's up.

Geth's a fan of the funk

Is it March yet?

edited February 2013
    Main Event and Saturday Morning Slam spoilers
    PW.net wrote:
    MAIN EVENT

The Highlight Reel opened. Chris Jericho started by saying that The Miz was injured on Raw in the Antonio Cesaro attack and that is why ADR is the new Highlight Reel guest. They replayed the footage of the Cesaro attack. Ricardo Rodriguez came out to take over the introduction for Del Rio. Del Rio was over huge. Jericho brought up his period of wrestling in Mexico and said that he will win the Elimination Chamber and face Del Rio. After a really funny back and forth in Spanish involving Del Rio, Jericho, and Rodriguez, Dolph Ziggler's music hit and Jericho came up with a bunch of new names for Big E. Ziggler promised to cash in the MITB briefcase sometime between now and WrestleMania. Del Rio challenged Ziggler to a match on the spot. After a "Sí" chant, Ziggler accepted.

1. Alberto Del Rio (w/Ricardo Rodriguez) beat Dolph Ziggler (w/AJ, Big E Langston) in a non-title match. The match started slow but worked up to a great pace and the fans stayed with it. Late in the match, Del Rio called for the Cross Arm Breaker. AJ distracted the ref for Big E to hit Del Rio with a punch. Ricardo tried to intimidate Big E and was chased off. Del Rio eventually applied the Cross Armbreaker for the submission win in a long match. It was described as a pay-per-view quality match.

Paul Heyman was interviewed by Matt Striker. Heyman held the WWE Title an said that he is indeed the voice of the voice of the voiceless, so it is just the same to talk to him as it is to talk to Punk. Heyman rehashed the new stipulation for Rock vs Punk II. Huge boos for Heyman.

SATURDAY MORNING SLAM

1. Damien Sandow beat Zack Ryder. Damien Sandow came out first and mentioned that there are rumors about Booker T being tasked to find a general manager for Saturday Morning Slam. Oh God, no! Sandow had a ton of heat as he mentioned that he should be the GM. Ryder cut Sandow off and spoke about how bad it would be if he were GM. Ryder started the match conjuring up a Woo Woo Woo chant. Ryder hit a second rope drop kick late, but he was distracted by Rhodes and was rolled up for the win. A fun, short match with nice crowd reactions for both guys.

2. U.S. Champion Antonio Cesaro beat Justin Gabriel. The sound went dead during Cesaro's entrance. Once it was fixed, Justin Roberts introduced Cesaro. Gabriel got a surprising amount of offense in given how they usually position him on shows. He had a great looking corkscrew plancha to the outside. Gabriel went for the 450 splash setup, but Cesaro recovered in time and tossed him up in the air for the Swiss Death followed by the Neutralizer for the win.

Smackdown spoilers
    PW.net wrote:
    Smackdown started off with Big Show coming to the ring. Huge pop for him. He definitely has a scowl due to recent developments. Show asked if the fans think it is funny he's been messed with by Alberto Del Rio and the fans went nuts. Show said Del Rio never pinned him, and that he doesn't have what it takes to pin him. He also claimed he will never be pinned by Del Rio. Chris Jericho interrupted. Jericho said he's known Show for 16 years and can read him like a "big, stinky book." He says he knows how Show feels. Show said if he really knew he would stay far away from him. Show said Jericho has other stuff to do. Jericho promoted Robot Fighting League. Jericho said he's back and pumped. Jericho brought up being tag champs with Show and put him over before reminding him of his own accolades. Jericho brought up the idea that Show and he could wrestle for the title at WrestleMania. Show said if they both make it to WrestleMania, it will be Jericho's last. Booker T came out to a huge ovation! Booker announced Show vs Jericho for later in the show.

Randy Orton and Mark Henry had a backstage segment before the match. Just a simple stare down. The Rock was promoted for later and the place went insane!

1. Mark Henry beat Randy Orton by DQ. Orton had the advantage early on, leaving Henry on the floor momentarily. No sooner than he reentered the ring, Henry took control. Henry dominated the bulk of the match and was having his way with Orton. It was time for Orton to come back and Henry went down. Orton grabbed a chair and hit Henry with it for the DQ. Orton hit him a few more times but eventually ate a World's Strongest Slam.

2. Tamina Snuka defeated Layla. Snuka showed her heel tendencies early and Layla played goody two shoes. There was a roll up sequence ending in a cross body. Layla showed some skills here. There was also a really nasty bump on the apron with Snuka getting Layla trapped. Lots of miscommunication here. Snuka hit a nice Samoan drop and followed up with a splash for the win.

3. Brodus Clay and Tensai defeated 3MB. First off, huge pop for Brodus. Simple comedy match with big pops for Tensai's dancing. Mahal nearly died when he didn't jump for a Brodus T-bone suplex. A double choke drop followed by a splash put 3MB away. Following the match, The Shield attacked Brodus and Tensai. Amazing buzz for The Shield, goosebumps status. The fans crapped on The Shield. Dean Ambrose took the mic. He said don't dare think Sunday will be different from tonight. Incredible facial expressions from Ambrose. He said Cena and company will find out what the consequences for their actions will be on Sunday. They left through the crowd just as they arrived.

Cody Rhodes and his glorious moustache are out next followed by yet another ad for Fandango.

4. The Miz defeated Cody Rhodes. The Miz came out and has his shoulder taped up from the Cesaro beatdown on Raw. Back and forth action to start including some pretty smart moves by Cody to attack the Miz's hurt shoulder. Miz reversed a disaster kick into a figure four, but at least he learned how to do it properly for this one. Cody tapped out surprisingly and nobody popped for the finish because Miz has not established the move as an actual finisher.

5. Jack Swagger beat Zack Ryder. Ryder went after Swagger early but was dominated by Swagger's wrestling. Simple match with Swagger taking control for the majority of it. Ryder mounted a comeback but was swerved during a Broski boot and his leg was slammed into the post. A chop block and Swagger looked really creepy stalking Ryder. The finish comes with the Patriot Act. Afterward, Swagger took the mic and introduced Zeb Colter, saying he's a great American. Zeb talked about making your mark as a patriot and his tea party-like spiel about how Zack Ryder is not a real American due to his love of tanning and hair products. Good heat on this promo.

The Rock headed to the ring to easily pop of the night with surely no rivals. Rock immediately went into C.M. Punk stealing the belt. Rock said it is a trade between his belt and an ass whipping Punk will never forget. C.M. Punk and Paul Heyman interrupted on the big screen to let Rock know that he didn't steal anything and that it is The Rock who committed grand larceny at the Royal Rumble. Punk plays up the stipulation by saying that he plans on letting Rock beat himself on Sunday. Rock said his words are worthless. He said Monday is what Punk should worry about because then he'll realize he failed. Rock called Punk a spoiled little boy and delivered the "If you smell..." line to close out the segment.

Sandow interrupted Rock. He said he finds it ironic that Smackdown is in Little Rock because he'll show everyone how little Rock has done since being WWE Champion. Huge heat on Sandow. Rock went into schtick about being in Little Rock and the people popped again. Sandow said they are sheep. Rock said he has one thing to say and goes into his "Finally, The Rock has come back to Little Rock." Rock played to the crowd and says he'd give Sandow a gift. He asked the crowd what move he should do to Sandow. Everyone said a Rock Bottom and Rock shook Sandow's hand into a Rock Bottom and a People's Elbow for a big response.

6. Big Show beat Chris Jericho. Show dominated early. Jericho got some momentum only to be speared for his trouble for a two count. Show chokeslammed Jericho, who rolled out of the ring to avoid being pinned. Shows climbed to the the top rope after bringing Jericho back in. Jericho went for the Walls of Jericho, but he couldn't lock it in. Show delivered a knockout punch and got the win. Del Rio walked onto the ramp and had a staredown with Show to end the show.

Sweeney Tom on
    Regarding Smackdown spoilers:
    Finally someone is getting smart by having Ambrose do all the talking. Show sounds pretty damn great otherwise, and nice to see Mantell not being a one night only deal.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    So in reading about Mark Henry on Wikipedia today, I discovered the following magnificent factoid:
    Henry comes from a family in which almost all of the men are gigantic, especially his Great Uncle Chudd, who was 6’7″, weighed approximately 500 pounds, never had a pair of manufactured shoes, and was known as the strongest man in the woods of east Texas.

Holy shit guys you all need to get volume 2 of "The very best of WCW Nitro" that came out today. Specifically the blueray version. You get like 36 matches total plus all the DDP interludes and some random promos. Fantastic set.

This discussion has been closed.