As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

More entertainment, but with less violence?

UncleChetUncleChet N00bLancaster, PARegistered User regular
Good evening. Not sure if I should point this here or over to D&D. I'm feeling violence overload. In almost every form of media that I consume. TV, Games, Comics, Movies. I'm just FULL. I simply feel like my brain and my sensibilities are being overwhelmed daily with the evils that we as a people do to one another. I can't watch the news, network TV is pretty much a no go. Just about every video game I own (minus maybe Ni-No Kuni, which, while it has "battles" it's not, to me, very violent.
Outside of food TV and well, I'm not sure what else. What can I do to get some "fun" going on? I own Wii U, PS3 and a pretty good gaming PC with all the tools that a gaming PC requires. I have an SOE gamer pass, I have about 200 or so steam games, but I just can't find contentment.

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.

• Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    I'd recommend Minecraft (no monsters mode), or A Tale In the Desert, if computer gaming is your thing. As for television, I really enjoy documentaries of all kinds. If you have cable television the science/technology channels are a good bet.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I've all but given up on videogames (with the exception of a few that still interest me) in the past few years and have replaced them with exercise, learning instruments (piano, guitar, etc), and other non-digital entertainment (board/card games, etc). I haven't gone too much into it myself, but reading would probably be a good thing to take up in your case.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think that the ease of finding relatively nonviolent content is going to depend somewhat upon your preferred genre. If you like puzzle games, it's a lot easier than if you primarily enjoy, for example, shooters.

I find much of what is out there on TV to be complete garbage, so I watch very little. For me it's not just violence that I don't want to see, but also shows that revolve around people being relentlessly miserable or just plain dicks to each other, which eliminates most reality TV as well. One of the two shows I do watch is Switched at Birth, which is dramatic but pretty nonviolent. I guess it's kind of a teen drama thing, but I find ASL and the overarching issues present in it interesting, and I make no apologies for enjoying it. I found it on Netflix, and the new season just started recently so much of it may still be available on ABC's website if it were to turn out that that's your thing.

One of the puzzle games I got recently is Botanicula, which is adorable and fairly peaceful.

But let's start at the beginning instead of the end: what do you find "fun?"

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also, Kongregate is awesome for stuff like this. I love BloonsTD (4 and 5 are the best). It's an addictive little tower defense consisting of monkeys popping balloons with darts, glue, and sometimes lasers.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Too bad you don't have a DS. Professor Layton (and the sequels) are loads of fun.

Everything at http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/ is pretty amazing. Also, what about Journey or Flower for the PS3?

Esh on
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Thanks ya'all. First, it's cool to see i'm not the only one. Sorry Esh, I actually have a 3ds XL, but I've always sort of been well, kind of intimidated by the Layton games, as well as puzzle games in general. I'm a smart guy, but well. I'm 40 now, and not nearly as bright as I used to be.
    Ceres, What is ASL? We watch a bit of TV, but mostly things DVR'd like old series, and of course, Adventure Time.
    I could also i guess get back in to things like Plants Vs Zombies. I'm a big MMO player, but Meh, I'm really falling out of fashion w/those these days.
    I guess I really broke my brain picking up a copy of COD blops 2. Man, those first 4 minutes were just gore.

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    That's one of the reasons that I mentioned A Tale in the Desert. It's an MMO.... albeit a really odd one.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
    ASL = American Sign Language. The show is about two girls who were born at the same hospital and switched, and they find out when they're about 16. One of them went deaf at the age of three for... reasons.

I really like PVZ.. there are some really fun tower defense games out there, and that is definitely one of them. I beat the whole game years ago, but someone recently gifted me a steam copy with achievements so I've been going through and trying to get those.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Currentish TV I enjoy that is non violent: Peep Show, Africa(I think this is the best thing since Planet Earth), Psych, 30 Rock, An Idiot Abroad, Louie, The Big C. A couple of those are British so you may have to Netflix them if they interest you.

As for PC, I just finished Antichamber, it's quite good. I wouldn't say it's too terribly hard. I also liked Defense Grid.

edited February 2013
    Psych is all about a guy who solves murders though. You don't usually see the murders themselves I guess, but that's the OP's call.

edit: Which isn't to say it's not a great show. Just if the idea is not to think about people killing each other for a while, murder mysteries aren't great for that.

ceres on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »
    I've all but given up on videogames (with the exception of a few that still interest me) in the past few years and have replaced them with exercise, learning instruments (piano, guitar, etc), and other non-digital entertainment (board/card games, etc). I haven't gone too much into it myself, but reading would probably be a good thing to take up in your case.

+1 to all of the above. After Fallout 3 I burned out on most ultra-violent entertainment and moved to on better things. And in the long run I feel like I accomplish a lot more. Because if you think about it, all those “achievements” in video games are intended to be knocked out by kids sitting on the couch, so they’re not really much of an achievement.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    ceres wrote: »
    One of the puzzle games I got recently is Botanicula, which is adorable and fairly peaceful.

Can't recommend Botanicula enough. It's distilled joy and one of my top three games of 2012. And there's a browser demo.

Nifflas' games are good, too. Each game is some combination of exploratory platformer and puzzle platformer, though they're all extremely atmospheric and relaxing with low time investments. Within a Deep Forest (kinda hard), Knytt, Knytt Stories, and The Great Work are all free. NightSky, Saira, and Knytt Underground are paid, but there are demos on the site.

Have you tried Parks & Recreation? The first season was alright, but Season 2 had a tone shift that made it excellent. Every main character is a good person at heart (even if they sometimes act with selfish motives) and it's my feel-good show of choice. I leave almost every episode with a big, stupid smile on my face.

If you like Adventure Time, check out Gravity Falls on the Disney Channel. It's suitable for children while still being really entertaining for adults.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited February 2013
    supabeast wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »

+1 to all of the above. After Fallout 3 I burned out on most ultra-violent entertainment and moved to on better things. And in the long run I feel like I accomplish a lot more. Because if you think about it, all those “achievements” in video games are intended to be knocked out by kids sitting on the couch, so they’re not really much of an achievement.

And ever since I quit WoW I have so much more time to spend with you guys.

ceres on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I'd highly recommend some o the more stylish puzzle style games that are akin to portal

Quantum Conundrum comes to my head immediately. In fact i'd really suggest taking a look into the Steam library. There are a lot of games that are off of the trodden path of violence and explosions that are released there.

steam_sig.png
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    For TV Downton Abbey is pretty awesome and is very, very light on any violence. When it does appear, it's not graphic or over-the-top. And what dickishness it does have largely appears in snarkiness. It airs on PBS.

Invisible on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So like

read books

or even just watch non-violent (read: most) movies

Video games are a medium in its infancy and most video games are pretty infantile. Luckily you can entertain yourself with more mature stuff instead of feeling forced to find nonviolent games.

but whatever, some random fun nonviolent VIDEO GAMES all available for free, on Steam, or on GOG.com (with a few exceptions):

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
    Analogue: A Hate Story
    Many (most?) Twine games
    Digital: A Love Story
    Mainichi
    Cart Life
    Slave of God
    Hotline Miami (j/k)
    Perspective
    Proteus
    Thomas Was Alone
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Dear Esther
    Sim City
    The Sims
    The Stanley Parable
    To the Moon
    Audiosurf
    Chime
    Cogs
    SpaceChem
    1000 Amps

But basically just check out Live Free Play Hard each week. That usually has more non-violent games than it does violent games.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    TV wise, I am really enjoying FaceOff on SyFy. Basically they take a bunch of makeup artists and challenge them to create new characters based around a specific theme. Sometimes it's demons, sometimes it's "Here's a little kid with a crude sketch of a monster, make that monster", design a super hero, today's challenge was to make a candy themed character.
    Granted, most of the results tend toward the gruesome end, so that may be a turn off. The best part is that they keep the inter-character drama to an absolute minimum. There's maybe 5 minutes of camera time in the house (everyone sitting around moping about whoever lost last time), the rest is devoted to showing the artists sculpt, cast, paint and apply their makeup prosthetics. Maybe 10 minutes of the judges reviewing the creations and then declaring the winner and loser of the round.

Top Gear (the British version) is entertaining. There is some dickishness between the hosts, but it has the feeling of good-natured joking between long time friends. The US version of the show is getting there, but it's still got a way to go before it stops feeling so scripted.

If you like Psych, you may also want to look into Monk. It's similar, except that the almost supernaturally observant detective is massively OCD with every phobia in the book, (and probably a few that aren't in the book), where as in Psych the ASOD is pretending to be psychic. Monk's cases do tend more toward the violent end of the spectrum. Both of them play pretty heavily off of the Sherlock Holmes formula, but they tend to keep it a bit lighter.

Really, if you can't stand anything on TV, it may be best to get a quality bike and just go riding for an hour or two instead of watching TV. Bring along a book and find a park and read for a while when you get there.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I actually feel kind of bad doing this, but it just fits so well.

How inherently offended are you by the concept of magical pastel-colored ponies learning lessons about friendship?

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    I'll throw in a vote for Psych, too. I usually avoid police procedurals (despite liking mystery/crime novels) because the murders tend to be grim & gritty, but Psych is good fun. Lots of comic relief, the crimes practically never cross the line into effed up territory, and there's barely ever any violence on screen.

soempty.jpg
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm the kind of person who's waaaaay behind in games and only owns a mac, so feel free to ignore this entire post

I love psychonauts! There's violence in the sense that you punch things, but not in the sense that there's blood and guts and murder and darkness. Its just a really really fun game where you run around inside a crazy psychic world.

Also, PUZZLE AGENT. So good, so fun. I like it a lot more than professor layton because I think the game is zanier and the puzzles are more fun to solve. I felt like professor layton was just puzzle after puzzle after puzzle and they're so fucking hard augh but in puzzle agent I felt like even the puzzles were zany and weird and not scary

I'm a mega fan of telltale, so I think Monkey Island or Sam and Max are always awesome. Might want to stay away from the walking dead though

Basically I think puzzle games and action adventure types will be your best bet (which is lucky, cuz those are the best kinds of games =3)

There's also a game on steam which I haven't played but looks ADORABLE called triple town. I dunno if adorable things call out to you and you just can't resist them, like I can't

flowerhoney on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Kerbal Space Program, if you don't count horrific Type 1A mishaps on the launch pad or on final lunar descent as violence.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Can you clarify whether you are simply turned off by realistic depictions of violence (like gore in Call of Duty, for example) or turned off by all kinds of violence?

For example, Starcraft 2 could be considered a violent game by some standards, but has very little gore and has options to disable what gore it does have.

• NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    I am going to second watching Downton Abbey, at first I thought it would be a dry british old timey show about pip pips and cheerio's, but it's so much more hooked me after the first episode. It's on Netflix currently. If you want a more quirky sci-fi related show the new Dr. Who series is pretty fun to watch, my kids and I love it since the only real violence is against bad alien dudes in a non-gory way.

Downton Abbey qualifies as relentlessly miserable to me. I'm told it has uplifting moments and I've just missed them all, but man.

• NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Understandable, If you want to go the cheery happiness route. My Little Pony : Friendship Is Magic is great, especially if you have kids or something. Not like anyone without them would watch it or fall in love with it...Right?
    aumg Pinkie Pie!

• The Scottish UnicornThe Scottish Unicorn CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Check out a show called Creatures Great and Small it's about a veterinary surgeon in the British countryside, it's based off a book series and pretty solid.

76561198004630058.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    +1 for Parks & Recreation, if you like television shows.

I'm informed that Big Bang Theory is also good, but I haven't watched it personally.

As for games, immediate recommendation for Sim City 4. Mellow city building game that rewards you for being a good mayor, with a brilliant soundtrack.

With Love and Courage
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I'm informed that Big Bang Theory is also good, but I haven't watched it personally.

You were horribly misinformed.

If you want an amazing couple days of webcomic reading, look into Achewood. Some of the most brilliant comic writing I've seen in ages. Starts off a little rough, but eventually becomes something else entirely.

• The Scottish UnicornThe Scottish Unicorn CaliforniaRegistered User regular

As for games, immediate recommendation for Sim City 4. Mellow city building game that rewards you for being a good mayor, with a brilliant soundtrack.

Something sorta like Parks & Recreation, Portlandia, pretty funny show. I watched most of season 1 and the first episode of season 2 and I've enjoyed what I've seen of it.

76561198004630058.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Portal? I haven't seen Portal or Portal 2 mentioned. Probably the two best "non-violent" games released in a long time.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Something sorta like Parks & Recreation, Portlandia, pretty funny show. I watched most of season 1 and the first episode of season 2 and I've enjoyed what I've seen of it.

Portlandia isn't that funny...but take this with a grain of salt, because I live in Portland, and most of the jokes are either false or so overblown as to be not funny :/

They did one really good gag, which was the "Stick a bird on it", and basically everything else has been "Huh? Have these people ever been to Portland?".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's like Big Bang Theory. It's funny to people who aren't the topic of discussion.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I dunno I like portlandia and live in portland, mostly because its quirky and I like that kind of humor, but I can understand people not liking it
    The best one is when they're trying to make a sign for the timbers game

Although a great comedy which I think far outstrips big bang theory would be IT Crowd, it can be pretty understated in its british way but I'm a big fan. I've also been meaning to watch the Mighty Boosh which I've heard is funny

flowerhoney on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Downton Abbey qualifies as relentlessly miserable to me. I'm told it has uplifting moments and I've just missed them all, but man.

I disagree with the relentlessly miserable part. It's not 100% happy, but it doesn't beat you over the head with hopelessness.

Season 1 & 2
    the servant becoming a secretary, violet giving the old man the trophy for best flowers, Edith learning to drive, Cybil becoming a nurse,

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Jane Austen novels. Also you feel educated afterwards.

Azumanga Daioh, a cute anime about female friends in Japanese highschool.

jothki wrote: »
    I actually feel kind of bad doing this, but it just fits so well.

How inherently offended are you by the concept of magical pastel-colored ponies learning lessons about friendship?

ROFL, I'm acquainted with the brony concept, but am not one m'self. Sorry still reading the thread but this comment demanded attention

Wow, Soooo much niceness in this thread <3
    We (my partner actually) watches both downton abbey And upstairs/downstairs on netflix. Me, I find nothing but misery in it.
    As for some of the mentions, Wow, there's a Lot of books to catch up on. I have a nexus 7/kindle app but most books I own are like star wars etc.
    I Did pick SC2 back up and I'm trudging through the campaign of it, simply because it lets me exercise my mind a little. I Do have to admit to the fact that my abhorrence with violence in the wide world currently is only exacerbated by my OCD which, due to my Other issues, has to go un-medicated. It seems I can't even listen to NPR on the way home from work w/out them playing 911 tapes of gun range shootings and allowing for no preceding announcement.

This thread has Lots of great stuff in it though, and I'm going to be dipping in to it frequently as my whims change to try to get the best of the best out of it.

Thanks ya'all!

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Too bad you don't have a DS. Professor Layton (and the sequels) are loads of fun.

Everything at http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/ is pretty amazing. Also, what about Journey or Flower for the PS3?

Aaaaand there goes my only suggestion. Well, I double-suggest Journey. Its short, but amazing.

Invisible wrote: »

I disagree with the relentlessly miserable part. It's not 100% happy, but it doesn't beat you over the head with hopelessness.

Season 1 & 2
    the servant becoming a secretary, violet giving the old man the trophy for best flowers, Edith learning to drive, Cybil becoming a nurse,

You haven't seen this season yet, have you? I have experience with ONLY this season because I've overheard my mom watching a few episodes, and I can tell you that on some of these points
    they are building you up so they can tear you down. :P

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I'd suggest starting a board game night. It's social, it's fun, it's gaming, and it's mostly non-violent (At least graphically.). I'd suggest stuff like Talisman as it's an excellent game and easy to pick up, but deep enough to play again and again without getting bored. There's a ton of other great board games out there as well but it's fun and a great social time. Some board games can even be played solo. One i've gotten into recently with friends is Level 7. which is semi co-op survival and is a ton of fun with friends, and it's different every time you play. Hope that helps.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
This discussion has been closed.