As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Psycho-Pass]: Season 2 Now Airing (Dubbed Episodes Begin November 8th)

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So, I just started in on this series, and after watching episode 1, I have one question: does the violence get much worse than what you see there? I haven't got a real strong stomach for gore, but I think the premise is fascinating. I'd just like to know whether it's safer to turn away now than get too invested in it and really feel the loss when I decide I can't take it any more.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Much of the violence is focused on the discovery of mangled corpses, CSI-style. The violent acts that occur in real-time tend to cut away from the camera, either to conform it for Japanese TV broadcast standards or because the effect is more gruesome that way (for example, someone about to get stabbed with a sharp object cuts away before the blade cuts the flesh).

So if you're worried that someone is going to explode into meat chunks every episode, that isn't the case. It's a violent series, certainly, but it isn't Urobuchi's most violent work (Fate/Zero is more gruesome in my opinion). More often than not, he goes for off-screen reactions to the most brutal moments because he knows it's more unsettling that way. It's why Madoka Magica is so unnerving even though there's barely a drop of blood in that series.

The Blu Ray release might up things up a bit. There are a couple of scenes that were obviously shadowed up to hide the finer details. But regardless, if you were able to stomach the first episode, it doesn't really get much worse from there, at least as on-screen gore goes.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    So, I just started in on this series, and after watching episode 1, I have one question: does the violence get much worse than what you see there? I haven't got a real strong stomach for gore, but I think the premise is fascinating. I'd just like to know whether it's safer to turn away now than get too invested in it and really feel the loss when I decide I can't take it any more.

There's a couple of scenes in the series that get fairly gruesome, but for the most part ep 1 is pretty much what you can expect.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think when we talk about the ending being
    "happy", we just mean that everyone wasn't drowned in a bucket of bleach.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Thank you based Urobutcher

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Goddamn yes. I am psyched (ha).
    there won't be anyone left this time around. Urobutcher always flexes his Urobutchery in the second act.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Not unexpected.

Very welcome.

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    More worried than excited. I really liked the ending, and I can see so many ways for this to go badly and very few for this to go well. But, we'll see. Guess I'll have to trust in Urobuchi (since I'm assuming he's still attached).

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    When you say "go badly", do you mean in terms of quality, or in terms of Urobutchery?

The latter is practically a given.

Also I'm interested in seeing how
    the new girl from the last episode does (as well as Akane in a mentor role).

Also Kogami will most likely end up as the next Makishima, though hopefully more about bringing down Sibyl and less about bringing about people's emotions (by murdering the shit out of them).

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Quality, of course. I'll be happy if I'm proven wrong, because P-P is one of my favorite shows of all time, but...well, we'll see where he takes it.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I've got faith, but it's interesting how we've yet to see how Urobuchi handles sequels, even though his previous shows have all been set up with sequel potential (two of them confirmed, the third currently up in the air. and I would love to see his take on the Heaven's Feel arc in Fate/Stay Night, but that doesn't look to be happening anytime soon).

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Wooo. It certainly set up a Season 2. I'm excited.

I for one can't wait to bow down before our healing overlord.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Does anybody know when/if the first season is going to come out in dub?

• Options
    Also should I root for a happily ever after ending for season 2?

• Options
    Funimation is releasing it on Blu Ray/DVD early next year.

And of course you should root for a happy ending.
    But as you know, Urobuchi demands you work for that ending.

He requires several sacrifices to satiate his thirst.

• Options
    Funimation is releasing it on Blu Ray/DVD early next year.

And of course you should root for a happy ending.
    But as you know, Urobuchi demands you work for that ending.

He requires several sacrifices to satiate his thirst.
    I pretty much expect everybody to be dead at the end of Season 2. EVERYBODY. Probably in the world. I haven't finished season one yet, but reading about Urobuchi..... gives me chills man. Gives me chills.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I thought the next Ghost in the Shell would fill that void for mature sci-fi storytelling, but I'm not feeling the stuff they've shown for Arise so far. Admittedly much of that is bias over SAC, which they really should have stuck with instead of yet another reboot (and with no Kanno, boo).

To me Arise looks like it's going to borrow heavily (or be inspired otherwise) from Ooshi's film, which was not necessarily more "mature" than other incarnations of the series, though it was certainly more nihilist and impersonal at times. For better or worse--I'm not very optimistic about it either.

A friend of mine who let's say "feels things more strongly than most" raged considerably at episode 11 wherein...
    Tsunemori isn't able to shoot Makishima with the shotgun onehanded, and as a result Yuki is killed in front of her.

While it obviously could have gotten better, given Tsunemori's specialty as an inspector I'm not at all surprised at what happened, and not that unhappy with it. I think my friend just wanted to rage about the show's "derpiness".
    But, that scene is perfect. She is holding law or Sybyl in one hand and justice in the other hand and needs to let go of the law for what might be considered justice, or death or murder or whatever. He basically wants to see her throw away everything she ever believes in and is willing to pay his life to see her do it.

Or did he mean the practical aspect of it? Like since it took a trained cyborg two hands to shoot the rifle effectively that a smaller, untrained (in rifle use) human could do it easy with one hand?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I thought the next Ghost in the Shell would fill that void for mature sci-fi storytelling, but I'm not feeling the stuff they've shown for Arise so far. Admittedly much of that is bias over SAC, which they really should have stuck with instead of yet another reboot (and with no Kanno, boo).

To me Arise looks like it's going to borrow heavily (or be inspired otherwise) from Ooshi's film, which was not necessarily more "mature" than other incarnations of the series, though it was certainly more nihilist and impersonal at times. For better or worse--I'm not very optimistic about it either.

A friend of mine who let's say "feels things more strongly than most" raged considerably at episode 11 wherein...
    Tsunemori isn't able to shoot Makishima with the shotgun onehanded, and as a result Yuki is killed in front of her.

While it obviously could have gotten better, given Tsunemori's specialty as an inspector I'm not at all surprised at what happened, and not that unhappy with it. I think my friend just wanted to rage about the show's "derpiness".
    But, that scene is perfect. She is holding law or Sybyl in one hand and justice in the other hand and needs to let go of the law for what might be considered justice, or death or murder or whatever. He basically wants to see her throw away everything she ever believes in and is willing to pay his life to see her do it.

Or did he mean the practical aspect of it? Like since it took a trained cyborg two hands to shoot the rifle effectively that a smaller, untrained (in rifle use) human could do it easy with one hand?
    Or drop her useless Dominator and take the rifle in two hands. It's what Kougami would have done, but he wasn't the one making the choice.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

I've seen a lot of criticism of Psycho-Pass that suffers from a failure of willing suspension of disbelief. It's a bit daft to rage at how stupid the characters act when the whole premise of the story is that central control of human intelligence has left the vast majority of the populace unbelievably stupid in certain ways.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Regarding the scene in the spoiler:
    I really wouldn't hold it against Akane that her brain temporarily farted during that bit. The Sybil System has been around before she was even born. She's hard-wired to obey the law above all else.

Being told that she had to make the conscious decision to kill someone, even to save her best friend, was something she just couldn't bring herself to do. This decision would continue to haunt her as well as shape her into an individual Makishima would approve of; she very nearly killed him in their next encounter, and had no qualms about taking him out for good in the finale.

I also think about that scene where
    a woman is getting beaten to death in the middle of a crowded street, and everyone is just standing around recording the murder without helping.

I thought this was meant to be a statement about the people who live in this fictional setting, but I've heard that this act was actually based on a real event where the public reacted the exact same way.

That's pretty fucked up if true.

• Options
    Regarding the scene in the spoiler:
    I really wouldn't hold it against Akane that her brain temporarily farted during that bit. The Sybil System has been around before she was even born. She's hard-wired to obey the law above all else.

Being told that she had to make the conscious decision to kill someone, even to save her best friend, was something she just couldn't bring herself to do. This decision would continue to haunt her as well as shape her into an individual Makishima would approve of; she very nearly killed him in their next encounter, and had no qualms about taking him out for good in the finale.

I also think about that scene where
    a woman is getting beaten to death in the middle of a crowded street, and everyone is just standing around recording the murder without helping.

I thought this was meant to be a statement about the people who live in this fictional setting, but I've heard that this act was actually based on a real event where the public reacted the exact same way.

That's pretty fucked up if true.

Not just ONE real event: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect#Notable_examples

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Goddamn that is fucked up.

Of course Urobuchi would be aware of this.

• Options

If tv tropes is correct, Urobuchi based it off of something that happened to a co-worker.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Rchanen wrote: »

If tv tropes is correct, Urobuchi based it off of something that happened to a co-worker.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=451019

Nitroplus is where Urobuchi works/ed.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Been stuck at home all week, so I finally marathoned through the show. I'm normally not one for Japanese sci-fi, but this was really great. Bring on Season 2, Butcher!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Most of Urobuchi's work is influenced by Western fiction, so the only thing that makes this Japanese sci-fi is that it was made by a Japanese studio and also takes place in Japan. And is also science fiction.

If you haven't seen his other stuff, you most certainly should check it out as well.

• Options
    Having finished the series, I think this was the best anime I have seen in a long, long damn time. Maybe since Darker than Black, 1st season. Hell, maybe since Bebop.

Great characters, Great art, Great writing, Great action. If they do not get a grade-A cast to dub this I will go apeshit.

Question
    Does anybody disagree with what Kogami did? The system would not punish Makashima. Hell the system wanted to co-opt him. I could not entirely disagree with Makashima either. The Sybil system keeps people as infants. Particularly well-treated infants, but still infants none the less. Makashima was a psychopath and he had to be stopped, but the Sybil system is a clusterfuck

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Well, theres alot of problems I felt thematically, logically and they felt forced with sybil in order to create this dystopia. Realistically people would know about this system, and the facts you find out in the series would be pushed as features. People would love being ruled over by
    an AI cloud that became better by adding more terrible people to it. The people in the universe, and probably ours would clamor for it.

I get the feeling something we will see eventually is
    What the outside world looks like for real vs isolationist japan. My bet is its fine, but shown to be a wasteland of violence. maybe even the UN eventually tries to break into the country by force because its inhabitants are hostages. It's like a (depending on criteria)successful north korea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well, theres alot of problems I felt thematically, logically and they felt forced with sybil in order to create this dystopia. Realistically people would know about this system, and the facts you find out in the series would be pushed as features. People would love being ruled over by
    an AI cloud that became better by adding more terrible people to it. The people in the universe, and probably ours would clamor for it.

I get the feeling something we will see eventually is
    What the outside world looks like for real vs isolationist japan. My bet is its fine, but shown to be a wasteland of violence. maybe even the UN eventually tries to break into the country by force because its inhabitants are hostages. It's like a (depending on criteria)successful north korea.
    Wait I don't get that statement. Is the outside world fine, or is it a wasteland of violence?

Rchanen on
  • Options
    I'd have to go back and rewatch it, but I believe they said that Sybil extends across the world, or "most" of the world.

It would certainly be interesting to see how other countries function with the Sybil system, and especially the ones that don't. This could be a Big O situation where the city that the series takes place is significantly better off/isolated from the rest of the world.

I can certainly see Urobuchi exploring this concept, and I hope that he does.

• Options
    I'd have to go back and rewatch it, but I believe they said that Sybil extends across the world, or "most" of the world.

It would certainly be interesting to see how other countries function with the Sybil system, and especially the ones that don't. This could be a Big O situation where the city that the series takes place is significantly better off/isolated from the rest of the world.

I can certainly see Urobuchi exploring this concept, and I hope that he does.

And see I was thinking the opposite.
    Makashima's plan was to ruin food supplies, forcing the government to open dialogue with the rest of the world. With dialogue opened there would be trade and especially refugees entering the country. The refugees would ruin the Sybil system as they are not accustomed to it. I don't really know what the rest of the world looks like. Could be Book of Eli, from the whole refugees pouring in thing that Makashima was planning.

But part of me wonders if the Sybil system has propagandized people and the rest of the world is actually better off and more technologically advanced. It would be lazy of Urobuchi so we probably won't see it, but he could draw an easy comparison to the Sybil Sytem isolating itself from the rest of the world and the Tokugawa shogunate's decision to isolate itself from the world.

• Options
    Looks like we're getting a movie in addition to the 2nd season (which is confirmed for 22 episodes): http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-06/psycho-pass-anime-gets-new-film-along-with-2nd-season

No word if the movie is a recap, and/or whether it will pull a Madoka and just touch up the existing animation.

I wonder what the special announcement will be regarding the new season? Perhaps it will air at a later time/network so as to end up more gruesome then the original.

Urobuchi gotta Urobutch.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

No, just Japan. I mean, how would that even work, with Japan isolated from the rest of the world and afraid of foreign contamination and all? There's no way the technology or political culture supporting it could have ever been exported.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It could be an AM situation where each country has its own crowd-controlling supercomputer. But we'll probably get more details about that in the next season.

Season 2 Announcement Trailer (Season 1 Spoilers!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fR6ueOMcb1c

It's been a good week for Urobuchi works (that newest Madoka preview vid is ohmygodohmygodohmygod).

• Options
    edited September 2013
    First promotional image for Season 2:

YGpyFAZ.jpg
    Could that be Akane's hand, or the new girl's?
    The first key visual for the second season and film for the Psycho-Pass anime was posted last week.

The series' official website also announced that the prologue for the Psycho-Pass Legend spinoff text stories has been released online. The prologue about agent Nobuchika Ginoza was written by Psycho-Pass episode 12 script writer Aya Takaha.

Production I.G President & CEO Mitsuhisa Ishikawa acknowledged in his Anime Expo panel in July that a second season of the Psycho-Pass anime is in the works. He also hinted that an “important announcement” would be made at the screening event of all 22 episodes of the anime.

The psychological action anime debuted in Japan last October. Funimation streamed the first season as it aired in Japan, and confirmed in March that it will release the season on Blu-ray Disc and DVD next spring.

Really looking forward to Funi's dub. I wish they were handling all of Urobuchi's works. I haven't heard Fate/Zero's dub yet, but if Madoka and Sword Art Online is any indication, Aniplex simply doesn't hold a candle to Funimation's localization and voiceover performances.

• Options
    Aniplex poisions anyting it touches.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That... is not how I recall her face usually looking.

Life has been unkind.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    That... is not how I recall her face usually looking.

Life has been unkind.

Well, yeah.

She's going to be a thought criminal by the end of the season.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.