As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Nier! Set 9 - I killed them all

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Games and Technology
Let's Play Nier!
O43CPBj.jpg
Hey guys, welcome to Let's Play Nier. This is something ive been wanting to now for a very long time, ever since i actually finished with the game. Normally i restict myself to only doing horror titles and I would concider this no different. Oh this is definitly and RPG no doubt, but easily a horror title. One of those 'Adult horror' titles rather than the 'Oh shit a ghost' ones. But I am rambling, point being I plan to go over this in as much detail as I can while dodging some of the usual pitfalls of RPGs, such as the horrid grinding and some of the awful side quests.
Anyway, lets get started.

What is Nier?
NieR is an action RPG released by Cavia/Square Enix for the PS3 and 360 back in 2010. It released to rather poor sales in the western world, but faily decent ones in Japan. There are basically 2 versions of the game, one with a grizzled Father character and one with a Teenage 'bishy' version. The father is out to save his daughter from a life threatning illness, while the younger version is looking out for his Sister. Barring that, the games are more or less Indenticle.
The Father version was the only version released in the West and is simply called 'Nier' whereas the Japanese got two versions, Nier Gestalt (which is the 360 version, containing the Father Nier) and Nier Replicant (the PS3 version, containing the Teenage brother Nier). We'll be playing the West's version of Nier, though I may do a few videos with the Teenage Brother Nier if anyone wants to see it.

The setting:
Nier is set both in 2049 and in 3361 in a post applocalyptic setting. The world is dying, everything is fucked and our Hero's little girl is dying. Reason enough to set out on an aventure? Damn right.

The early game characters:
Nier:
MrXhwoM.jpg
Our Hero, one ugly fucker. Cares for this daughter deeply and will do ANYTHING to protect her.
Kaine:
pBQSpXm.jpg
The Sidekick/awesome partner. Kaine will save your ass while calling you a cocksucker. Finds Nier early in his adventure and assists him in saving his daughter.
Grimoire Weiss:
oPWNO9g.jpg
Weiss is a flying book. He grants Nier magic and comes equipped with a sharp tounge to boot. He is also assiting Nier on his adventure to save his daughter.
Yonah:
sh4RfYA.jpg
Nier's daughter. A lovely young lady who enjoys reading books and visiting the Village twins who run the Library. Is very ill with a killer disease.
Emil:
A mysterous boy from out of town. He lives in a mansion between Nier's Village and the deafront. Seems to have eyesight issues.
Popola and Devola
eCDbTQK.jpg
4G2dtEf.jpg
The Twins from the Village. Identicle twins who assit Nier throughout the game. They love to sing and will offer advice whenever they can. They get on very well with Yonah.

Update style:
I will be posting videos in sets. Usually 3 to 4 parts at once, every 5-6 days. Each post will contain the videos (durr), anything addtional that I feel is relevent at the time (such as backstory, subtle hints or intresting bits of note) and extras from the Japanese only Book Grimoire Nier (which i have sitting on my desk, but will use the Google docs translation guide to help me with).
The main set videos will be of the plot and anything story related. Side quests and extras get their own seperatly labled videos for those who do or dont want to see them. Videos will be edited to cut out any tedious running around or pointless parts. Anything in the videos should be relevant.
Right then, that should be it. The videos

Videos!

Set 1:
Set 2!
Set 3
Set 4!
Set 5!
Set 6!
Set 7!
Set 8!
Set 9!
Heads up for spoilers please, mark them clearly

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    [spoilers] Weiss is awesome.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Was this game any good? I bought it for $10 ages ago, but I haven't powered on my 360 in a year.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    It's very good. It aint your bog standard RPG, thats for sure :P

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    *Breaks down a door, rushes in*

Helloween? NieR!? I came as fast as I could.

This is going to make a shit night wonderful, 'Ween. Gonna start digging into the vids now.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This game is what made me start digging Laura Bailey's work. Her performance as Kaine is pretty awesome.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    *Breaks down a door, rushes in*

Helloween? NieR!? I came as fast as I could.

This is going to make a shit night wonderful, 'Ween. Gonna start digging into the vids now.

I was wondering when you would appear sir :P I look forward to giving this a pop.

I know rent did an LP, but he seemed to have stopped? Not wanting to piss on his parade, so i hope he doesnt mind.

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeeeah! Go Nier! I was lucky enough to acquire a copy recently, and had a brilliant idea. I'm going to platinum the game. All 100% of everything, and all the achievements. This is gonna hurt, in the best and worst ways.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Yeeeah! Go Nier! I was lucky enough to acquire a copy recently, and had a brilliant idea. I'm going to platinum the game. All 100% of everything, and all the achievements. This is gonna hurt, in the best and worst ways.

I had this dream once. It seemed like something that was so attainable.

Then I looked into the trophy for
    Growing the legendary flower.

That way lies madness, good sir.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yo, helloween, I really loved your dark souls lp, and I'm really looking forward to seeing you play through another game that you really enjoy and will go really in depth with.

Anyway, good luck.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You will be consumed sir. CONSUMED.

Yeah @Lalabox, i cant wait to get my teeth into it. So much backstory, so many hidden details. So much depresion D:

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

I had this dream once. It seemed like something that was so attainable.

Then I looked into the trophy for
    Growing the legendary flower.

That way lies madness, good sir.
    Oh. I'll do it. Oh how I'll do it. Granted, I'm going to advance my system's clock to do it, but still.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Thats cheating! D: (I would too)

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    A Nier LP? How has @rent not popped in here yet?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I would be intrested to see what he thought tbh

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    penis

is what a certain member of the cast has lolollol

ps hi

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Hey I have this game on the ps3! I should keep tradition and start it same time as you and play till midway and then leave it for a year.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Helloween is my favourite Let's Player out there and NiEr is one of the best games ever.

Now if only Mister Ween would stop ignoring all my marriage proposals and locking his doors then we could be so haaaaapppyyyyyy

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Helloween is my favourite Let's Player out there and NiEr is one of the best games ever.

Now if only Mister Ween would stop ignoring all my marriage proposals and locking his doors then we could be so haaaaapppyyyyyy

Ignore? I havent even been told about them D:
    penis

is what a certain member of the cast has lolollol

ps hi

Oh, look who it is! Pfft.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    really?

hey helloween marry me for reals

all sight unseen all american weirdness

the complete package

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    God I love this game so, so much.

SO so much.

NieR and Deadly Premonition was the best year of my video game life.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    oh shit son

helloween do Deadly Premonition next

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    wiltshire burr too strong cannot understand

rhoticity on bugger overwhelming

send

help

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    They are the two best stories in video games and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Or engage in respectful discussion. Choose wisely.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I've always heard how awesome this game is. I may have given it an unfair chance when I rented it... I tried to do every little side quest that came my way, and ended up burnt out thinking this was some tedious boring game.

I'll have to keep an eye on this LP. See if I will feel ashamed for giving up on it, or sweet vindication!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Did dealt premonition release on ps 3?

• Options
    deadly premonition is like they squished helloween down to a disc and that's the game that showed up except in the US

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I've always heard how awesome this game is. I may have given it an unfair chance when I rented it... I tried to do every little side quest that came my way, and ended up burnt out thinking this was some tedious boring game.

I'll have to keep an eye on this LP. See if I will feel ashamed for giving up on it, or sweet vindication!

I love this game but god damn some of the sidequests are shit. Like, grind for hours kind of shit. Terrible.

Deadly Prem is so weird. I havent finished my copy I have to be honest
    wiltshire burr too strong cannot understand

rhoticity on bugger overwhelming

send

help

Sorry, too many trains, cant hear you

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Did dealt premonition release on ps 3?

The Directors Cut comes out for PS3 in April.

Im not kidding when I say it was the driving force in my getting a PS3.

It includes a prologue, epilogue, better controls and a better map. All of those things are awesome.

Get it, play it, love it.

Good coffee for you.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

You and me both. 'Cept I didn't make it past the first 20 minutes in the first village. Graphics turned me off, and it seemed, I don't know, all clunked up or something. BUT! I've since heard it has a killer storyline, and have been meaning to give it another chance. But I guess I'll just watch this thing here. So yeah, good on ya bro!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Helloween wrote: »

inferior moonraker ears detected

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

inferior moonraker ears detected

CHOO CHOO

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh cool, you finally got around to making a Nier LP after raving about it for ages!
    I haven't actually played it, but the game has a lovely soundtrack and the whole hopelessness and existential horror aspects are intriguing. I'm definitely following this.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Helloween, I am disappointed that you didn't demonstrate why Sheep are dangerous. You made Popola look silly, good sir.

Edit: I -might- be mistaken on this, but since you mentioned it, I am pretty sure that the Weapon Stories are not actually in the game but rather the Supplemental Material. Which is rather unfortunate.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    Helloween, I am disappointed that you didn't demonstrate why Sheep are dangerous. You made Popola look silly, good sir.

Edit: I -might- be mistaken on this, but since you mentioned it, I am pretty sure that the Weapon Stories are not actually in the game but rather the Supplemental Material. Which is rather unfortunate.

Correct. Luckily I have Grimoire Nier on the desk with me with said stories in. ;)

Also, I totally didn't sir, She mad herself look silly. Shes only human after all.

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Fuck doubled'. Sorry!

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I can't think of a more perfect game for our resident horror aficionado to be obsessed about.
    Screw those jump scares.

HUGE Everything Spoiler
    Seriously fuck off if you haven't beaten this game at least twice.
    I mean it, go away.
    I would like to point out that I killed all the bosses harder the second time around. It surprised me that I wanted to kill them more the second time than the first time. I think it is because if I was being set up by the story in the role of the villain then I was gonna be the villain all the damn way.

Also apparently the director thinks this game had a happy ending.
    I laughed.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Regarding that HUGE spoiler from @morninglord
    Seriously dont fucking click unless you've finished the game Multipul times. SERIOUSLY serious, dont do it
    You think thats bad, Kaine even knew what they were saying the whole time and goes along with it regardless D: Also, have you seen ending 'e'?

Edit:

Also fun fact for those who have finished the game:
    Devolapopola is a weapon from Drag-on-dragoon(the names of the lovely twins in the village ofc), also known as Drakengard. :D
    [s/poiler]

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options

Correct. Luckily I have Grimoire Nier on the desk with me with said stories in. ;)

Also, I totally didn't sir, She mad herself look silly. Shes only human after all.

I am legitimately jealous of you because of that.

• Options
    Dude, it's a work of art. It really is. I want to buy the Drama CD as well, but, i have to wait for the cash :(

Was gunna post a pic, but ive lost my damn phone cable

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Too bad there's no PC port. :(