As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Dear SEC,

Any more #1 seeds you need beaten?

Love, B1G

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    My brother and I are tied in our family bracket and we both had Kentucky winning the tournament against Duke so the determining factor is going to be the total score of the game. Since I have the lower score and Wisconsin advanced I think I've got a good shot at this twenty dollars.

Edit: I mean the pride of guessing better, since nobody would bet on college sports.

You're wrong. Wisconsin is an offensive basketball team. Like a stupidly good one. These are the best and third best offensive teams in the nation.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    My brother and I are tied in our family bracket and we both had Kentucky winning the tournament against Duke so the determining factor is going to be the total score of the game. Since I have the lower score and Wisconsin advanced I think I've got a good shot at this twenty dollars.

Edit: I mean the pride of guessing better, since nobody would bet on college sports.

You're wrong. Wisconsin is an offensive basketball team. Like a stupidly good one. These are the best and third best offensive teams in the nation.

I mean my lower score is 130 total which seems about right considering the scores of the two teams tonight.

Damnit Big 10 all I rely on you for is your inability to score points and just play D, why they got to break my heart that way?

Magell on
    I'd expect something like 80-75 Wisconsin.

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Bubs wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you called UK's athletic director and asked him to withdraw from the tournament?

BREAKING NEWS: KENTUCKY WITHDRAWS FROM NCAA BASKETBALL TOURNEMENT

Hey, this actually happened!

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Bubs wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you called UK's athletic director and asked him to withdraw from the tournament?

BREAKING NEWS: KENTUCKY WITHDRAWS FROM NCAA BASKETBALL TOURNEMENT

Hey, this actually happened!

-and- they rioted.

damn I'm good.

• BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Robot referees can't come soon enough

PSN: thewheelz
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Wisconsin got robbed by the refs super hard. There is no way that duke gets to double bonus without Wisconsin getting to single in the second half without it. It really showed on the "well we just couldn't see anything" call that took the out of bounds back to dukes hands.

wbBv3fj.png
    Yeah, game was officiated completely differently in the second half.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Wisconsin had the game stolen from them.

Like blatantly stolen.

I'd have more sympathy for Wisconsin thinking they had the game taken from them by the refs if they had made more than one basket in the last five minutes.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Hard to make a basket when the refs Kee giving away your ball though.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I'd have more sympathy for Wisconsin thinking they had the game taken from them by the refs if they had made more than one basket in the last five minutes.

agree, but that out of bounds call was stupid. it clearly went off his finger. really dumb not to reverse it.

So It Goes wrote: »

agree, but that out of bounds call was stupid. it clearly went off his finger. really dumb not to reverse it.

That is a good point. That call was the only one I noticed was really bad.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I'm here to claim victory in the D&D bracket pool. Where's my million dollars?

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Officiating was awful, but that's what happens when you play Duke. Just means you've got to step up your game and make the shots when you get them and we just couldn't do it.

Dekker certainly didn't help with his air balls and absolutely terrible play.

edited April 2015
    Veevee wrote: »
    Officiating was awful, but that's what happens when you play Duke. Just means you've got to step up your game and make the shots when you get them and we just couldn't do it.

Dekker certainly didn't help with his air balls and absolutely terrible play.

I laughed a lot at that big three point air ball.

Magell on

The two other really terrible ones were Winslow stepping out of bounds and them missing it leading to an Okafor 3 point play opportunity and Winslow getting two free throws for elbowing I think Dugan in the face, which would have been Winslow's fourth just after Okafor got his fourth.

But mostly it's the way they called the game one way in the first half (Wisconsin has 2 fouls) and an entirely different way (4 before the first TV timeout, Duke in the double bonus with 7 left) in the second. Inconsistency from officials drives me nuts.

edited April 2015
    In the second half duke was super rough and handsy on defense and Wisconsin wasn't. But all the fouls went against Wisconsin. You could see it on the players faces and body language; they simply did not know what they could do that would not be whistled. And that was because, from my vantage point there wasn't anything they could do. The refs called charges against Wisconsin that they called blocking when duke was doing it.

Shit Wisconsin made two clean blocks that I saw that got whistled. Like not even close. And then they whistle a shot foul against the Badgers where the offending player was actively being screened multiple feet away from the shooter at the time of the supposed infraction.

It's one thing to say "make baskets" but the one sidedness of the calls meant that only duke could actually had the opportunity to basketball.

Edit: not reversing the out of bounds call is what sealed it for me. The whole damn nation could see that he touched the ball. How the hell could you not.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited April 2015
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Edit: not reversing the out of bounds call is what sealed it for me. The whole damn nation could see that he touched the ball. How the hell could you not.

His middle finger fucking bends on contact with the ball.

Veevee on
    The spin also changes, which is what sealed it for me.

The fucking trajectory changed! It was like the refs had to signal to Vegas that they were doing their jobs to they were made sure to be paid.

wbBv3fj.png
    I don't think I've ever been happier that I didn't have an actual stake in this particular game.

The refs would have given me a stroke.

The fucking trajectory changed! It was like the refs had to signal to Vegas that they were doing their jobs to they were made sure to be paid.

or, they didn't have access to that angle in the time they were reviewing the call. It took CBS like five minutes to find that shot, and none of the other angles showed anything nearly that clear. It sounds like the replay review system did not have access to all of the shots we were seeing on TV, which is really fucking disappointing.

• fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular

The two other really terrible ones were Winslow stepping out of bounds and them missing it leading to an Okafor 3 point play opportunity and Winslow getting two free throws for elbowing I think Dugan in the face, which would have been Winslow's fourth just after Okafor got his fourth.

But mostly it's the way they called the game one way in the first half (Wisconsin has 2 fouls) and an entirely different way (4 before the first TV timeout, Duke in the double bonus with 7 left) in the second. Inconsistency from officials drives me nuts.

It's also stuff like Okafor getting his 4th foul with 9 minutes left and then suddenly he plays perfect basketball. It feels a lot like the NBA where a star player cannot possibly foul out until the very, very end.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    fortis wrote: »

It's also stuff like Okafor getting his 4th foul with 9 minutes left and then suddenly he plays perfect basketball. It feels a lot like the NBA where a star player cannot possibly foul out until the very, very end.

or he just played shitty defense

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    fortis wrote: »

Perfect basketball? Fuck no, but Okafor hasn't fouled out of a single game all year. He's not some dumb freshman who hacks everyone. He's a mediocre defender and generally avoids fouling because he knows he's way more valuable on offense. Kaminsky just went after him to get some of those fouls and he got them (along with a charge on Okafor).

We also sat Okafor a big chunk of that remaining 9 minutes and put Jefferson on Kaminsky most of the way, even when he and Okafor were both in later on.

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Bobble wrote: »

or, they didn't have access to that angle in the time they were reviewing the call. It took CBS like five minutes to find that shot, and none of the other angles showed anything nearly that clear. It sounds like the replay review system did not have access to all of the shots we were seeing on TV, which is really fucking disappointing.

It amazes me that any league still has refs doing reviews in the middle of the noisy, distracting chaos and not a central hub.

I realize it's necessary most of the year but not the final tournament.

Jibba on
    Jibba wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »

It amazes me that any league still has refs doing reviews in the middle of the noisy, distracting chaos and not a central hub.

I realize it's necessary most of the year but not the final tournament.

The teeny tiny monitor is not ideal either.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I assume NBA refs get paid more and generally the NCAA refs are the ones that couldn't cut it in the NBA (or aren't yet experienced enough/haven't climbed the ranks)?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    They're also part time (NFL has the same problem, somewhat inexplicably) and not particularly well trained.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    They're also part time (NFL has the same problem, somewhat inexplicably) and not particularly well trained.

It's actually understandable with the NFL, though, when you consider that they are only officiating 15-20 games a year.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

It's actually understandable with the NFL, though, when you consider that they are only officiating 15-20 games a year.

When you look at how much money is riding on those handfulls of games and the league in general, they ought to be throwing a shitload of cash at making sure the refs are impeccably trained and have one goddamn job.

There is no reason the NFL shouldn't be paying those refs 100k a year and have them studying and working with people determining exactly what is an infraction, and what isn't year round. Have them show up to every teams camps and explain any rule changes and what they are expecting to interpret it like. The fact they and (especially) cheerleaders are basically underpaid/part time employees is such bullshit.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    NBA refs have had pretty awful betting/fixing scandals as well, probably stemming from the fact they are paid terribly. Well that and we are a greedy species of assholes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    There is no reason the NFL shouldn't be paying those refs 100k a year and have them studying and working with people determining exactly what is an infraction, and what isn't year round. Have them show up to every teams camps and explain any rule changes and what they are expecting to interpret it like. The fact they and (especially) cheerleaders are basically underpaid/part time employees is such bullshit.

I'm sure the NFL would love to pay ref's $100k but currently NFL ref's make on average $175k a year. The whole replacement refs thing with them a couple seasons back was basically the NFL wanted to get ride of the pensions and switch to a 401k like set up, and the refs were like "Fuck That".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000067333/article/nfl-referees-approve-new-labor-pact-after-lockout

Cheerleaders on the other hand should just be gotten rid of completely.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    Mvrck wrote: »

I'm sure the NFL would love to pay ref's $100k but currently NFL ref's make on average $175k a year. The whole replacement refs thing with them a couple seasons back was basically the NFL wanted to get ride of the pensions and switch to a 401k like set up, and the refs were like "Fuck That".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000067333/article/nfl-referees-approve-new-labor-pact-after-lockout

Cheerleaders on the other hand should just be gotten rid of completely.

They are paying them that much and they aren't fucking full time?

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Well league minimum salary for a rookie is $420k, and when all is said and done the refs are far more important for the league to function, than say the guy in the 8th linebacker roster spot.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    And generally, those refs have been reffing for 20+ years at that point by working their way through the high school and college levels to prove their worth. There is essentially a whole farm system for NFL refs and the ones that make it to the NFL level devote a LOT of time to it. There are ref camps and training programs and they do practice with the teams during training camp, and I believe even during the week during the regular season. I once looked into it, and to get to an NFL level ref you usually put in 5-10 years at the high school and peewee levels followed by 5-10 years in college before you even get considered for the NFL (without some kind of connection [Hi there, Shawn Hocholi]). Like it or not, NFL refs are the cream of the crop in the referee world even with all the mistakes they make because they are human.

Basketball refs though just take me back to my childhood where I'm the only white guy playing inner city ball where fouls seemed to be "white kid guarding black kid" and no other reason.

Veevee wrote: »
    And generally, those refs have been reffing for 20+ years at that point by working their way through the high school and college levels to prove their worth. There is essentially a whole farm system for NFL refs and the ones that make it to the NFL level devote a LOT of time to it. There are ref camps and training programs and they do practice with the teams during training camp, and I believe even during the week during the regular season. I once looked into it, and to get to an NFL level ref you usually put in 5-10 years at the high school and peewee levels followed by 5-10 years in college before you even get considered for the NFL (without some kind of connection [Hi there, Shawn Hocholi]). Like it or not, NFL refs are the cream of the crop in the referee world even with all the mistakes they make because they are human.

Basketball refs though just take me back to my childhood where I'm the only white guy playing inner city ball where fouls seemed to be "white kid guarding black kid" and no other reason.

That's actually 100% true at the NBA level. White refs call more fouls on black players and vice versa.

This discussion has been closed.