As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
OP jinx removed.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    It's so wide-open right now, and I know the B1G is having a phenomenal year, but I predict the tournament will be a wild one, with maybe 8-9 different leagues making the Sweet 16.

I think we're in for at least one 2-15 upset, as soft as the bubble is. Seeding this is going to be a nightmare, and I'm not going to gripe about whatever number Wichita State gets if we make it in.

From the teams mentioned, I like Indiana just because Tom Crean has impressed me since his time at Marquette. If there's a guy (not named Coach K) who can keep his team focused for three straight weekends, I think it's him.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    See, I think Crean basically sucks. But that team is insanely talented, and finally got a good win away from Assembly.

I just remember watching some of his Marquette teams and thinking, "those are the most disciplined players I've seen in a while."

We'll see tonight if KU has any remaining chance, because I'm afraid (meaning just the opposite) that Self is in danger of losing the team after what he said about them in public.

I'll refrain from talking about Creighton here because that language is reserved for the SE++ thread. There are rules here.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Ben Brust is my hero

With that out of my system, I predict a strong showing in the B1G tournament (possibly final round) by the badgers and a solid first and second round wins in the NCAA tournament, but losing in the third round to a number 1 or 2.

That game was such shit. I hate Gene Staratore and Bo Ryan so fucking much. You have no idea. Like, rooting for Tom Izzo hate.

And Wisconsin will flame out in the tournament like usual when the officials don't let them be incredibly physical without calling a foul.

That game was such shit. I hate Gene Staratore and Bo Ryan so fucking much. You have no idea. Like, rooting for Tom Izzo hate.

Hey now, don't say anything you might regret later
    And Wisconsin will flame out in the tournament like usual when the officials don't let them be incredibly physical without calling a foul.

You mean like they have every single year Ryan has been coach? I mean, at least Dick Bennett got us to a fucking Final Four.

edited February 2013
    Yeah, basically. I'm hoping McCaffrey (Iowa is going to be good soon), Crean, and Beilein encourage the conference to move away from the Izzo/Bennett/Ryan/Matta grind it out death style. It'll be good for the conference in the tournament in addition to making things much more watchable.

enlightenedbum on
    Ryan will never leave the "grind it out" style of play. It lets him do wonderful things with a roster that is on the lower end of the talent spectrum, like beating top 5 teams when the team really shouldn't be able to win.

Basically, you're stuck with Ryan until he decides to leave Wisconsin. His coaching style and playing philosophy will almost guarantee a huge win a year along with a midseed tournament appearance which is an easy first and second round win.

Yeah, but the entire Big Ten has played like that for like a decade. I'm hoping we can relegate it to just Wisconsin.

Izzo is the only B1G coach to win the tourney in the last 20 years. You're not going to see a move away from it as long as they think that's their best shot (and the refs let them get away with it).

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

I contend the way the conference plays is a key to that lack of success.

38-24 MSU at the half, may I rightly assume that Izzo just doubled down on "grinding it out?"

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

And Michigan decided to say fuck it let's shoot jump shots. Not attacking the basket at all. We've been awful.

Also, Michigan State is rounding into form and they are going to be insanely dangerous in March. Unfortunately.

Assuming they stay healthy, which they are having some issues with lately.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Anybody see Nerlens Noel's injury earlier this evening? It was hard to tell how it looked because of the knee brace he wears, but you could hear him screaming over the ESPN cameras. Ugh, I hope he's okay.

vRyue2p.png
    It sounded worse than the play looked.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was really weird, it looked like he just banged it up a bit, but he's at the hospital for x-rays right now, so I guess it's a little more serious than that.

vRyue2p.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    He's done for the year, torn ACL

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Shit, that sucks. I hope he recovers well and it doesn't hurt his draft stock too much. Obviously he won't be going first anymore, but from what I'm reading he could still go in the top 5.

vRyue2p.png
    Kentucky without Noel: yiiiiiiiikes.

• SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    If Kentucky keeps eating dirt like they did against Tennessee they might not make the tournament.

Not that them making the tournament matters, since their wins will all be vacated in 5 years or so. Go go team Calipari.

There was already talk of that even with Noel, although they were finally starting to put things together. It was kind of silly to put them back in the Top 25, though, considering the only decent team they've beaten this year is Ole Miss.

The biggest problem this team has had so far is finding each other's groove, and Noel was such a key piece of the team that it's basically like hitting the reset button as far as that goes.

It's disappointing, but I can't complain too much considering how magical last season was for my dad and me. I'm fine with them taking a year off and coming back strong in 2013/2014. :P

vRyue2p.png
    Ohio State just spotted wisconsin 20

• OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was pretty pathetic. Next year's team will be much more impressive offensively, but will lose a lot of leadership in Craft. I suspect we'll lose in the semis of the Big Ten Tourney, end up with a 4 or 5 seed and lose in the Sweet 16.

camo_sig2.png
    Craft is a junior, isn't he?

Also, Tubby Smith is a terrible in game coach and managed to turn a 21-5 lead into a 21 point loss. Though Iowa is dangerous at Carver-Hawkeye and is going to be good next year.

Big Ten might be murdering the Duke/UNC rivalry by adding UNC (and UVA, presumably).

What the hell B1G? What the hell?

Well, hopefully we can get to Brian Cook's idea, add 4 more and then split the divisions based on join date.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Where'd you read this, ebum?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    It's all over the Big Ten internets.

• SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    Man...I always picture the Big Ten as the "midwestern" conference. The fact that we're adding schools like Rutgers and Maryland doesn't sit well with me...and UNC + UVA also doesn't sit well at all. Why not just poach Kansas and K-State and call it good? Blech.

In more basketball related news: LEEEEETTTTT'S GO STATE *clap clap*

If your state doesn't touch a Great Lake or is Iowa, GTFO.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    If unc joins the big ten im done

Fuck
    That
    Noise

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Well, 100% convinced by Indiana now.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Also, Tubby Smith is a terrible in game coach and managed to turn a 21-5 lead into a 21 point loss.

This so much. I hated when he was at UK.

kyrcl.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular

and here Nebraska felt welcomed into the conference :(

Bobble wrote: »

It gets a pass for being Iowa on steroids

Veevee wrote: »

Hey all those walk ons became 300 pound goliaths by corn feeding them and working on the farm back home.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Hey all those walk ons became 300 pound goliaths by corn feeding them and working on the farm back home.

Actually, it was the fallout from nuclear tests in the southwest from decades prior.

This discussion has been closed.