As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I don't think I've mentioned it in this thread yet, but the local brewery has also made a name for itself with regards to delicious barbequed meats.

Well they recently bought a food truck and are spending most days within about 5 minutes of my workplace.

I am going to get so fat on BBQ brisket sandwiches and Texas hot links.

• Options
    And to add to the naming confusion discussion, where I'm from in the Great Lakes region wild garlic and spring onions are distinct plants. Scallions and green onions refer to the same thing and are used interchangeably.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    I can never figure out the discrepancy between food names between our lands.
    Thanks for clarification!
    Garlic is marvelous, btw.
    I've been working on timing and such for oven-roasting fresh garlic. squeeze out of the cloves when done and mix with a little bit of butter and have the BEST garlic bread.

Took me a while to realize that when folk from the commonwealth said they were roasting swedes they were talking about rutabagas and not the swedish.

Well

most of the time it's rutabagas

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    I can never figure out the discrepancy between food names between our lands.
    Thanks for clarification!
    Garlic is marvelous, btw.
    I've been working on timing and such for oven-roasting fresh garlic. squeeze out of the cloves when done and mix with a little bit of butter and have the BEST garlic bread.

Took me a while to realize that when folk from the commonwealth said they were roasting swedes they were talking about rutabagas and not the swedish.

Well

most some of the time it's rutabagas

>_>

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I used to think that scallions were like... tiny little scallops. I mean, it makes sense, right? They're almost the same word!

I'm pretty sure they're just green onions here, though.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Yeah the stores here in Louisiana list them as scallions. They're green onions though. I often confuse that with shallots. Which are way different.
    Scallops, though, are amazing when done well. Buttery and soft and with just a little bit of bite to them on the outside from a good ear? Yes.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    So, I'm a pretty fantastic baker but don't have much experience doing actual cooking! I usually seem to make good meals just because I stick closely to the recipes in lieu of real cookery experience, but wellllll...

Tomorrow I've got a potluck I need to bring some food for (that I plan to prepare tonight after work) and I'm not really sure what to make! I wouldn't mind changing it up and making a main/appetizer, but I have a tendency to lean towards desserts. Mostly because I know I can rock most dessert recipes without even really trying them out in advance thanks to baking since I was old enough to hold a whisk.

For recent dinner parties I've rocked a Black Forest cake (with a Kirsch syrup on the bottom layer and Kirsch-sour-cherry filling, and finely grated chocolate on top of a whipped cream icing) and red velvet cupcakes with a buttercream-cream-cheese icing. Someone else already called making cakes though, so that's out.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for fun things to make? Do you guys have a solid recipe you usually go to to win at potlucks?

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/stuffed-mushrooms-baby/

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    as for going from baking to cooking, that was totally me. I started out helping my mom with baking, then did it on my own for years, but she still did all the cooking. As I got closer to moving out I tried to pay a bit more attention to what she was doing, but it wasn't really till I moved out that I started to learn for real.

For a while I just started with just following the recipe the first time I made something, and then slowly tweaking things from there. I still often screw up the first time I make something entirely new, but my wife knows to wait for the second time I make a new dish as I'll usually iron out the wrinkes the next time around.

if you want to get more creative, either making your own recipes or going wild with your modifications to existing ones, this is the greatest thing ever:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Flavor-Bible-Creativity-Imaginative/dp/0316118400/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398359508&sr=8-1&keywords=flavour+bible

it is literally just a book of flavours, listing hundreds of ingredients from fruits & vegetables to various meats and spices, and what ingredients taste good together, and what to avoid. Particularly good flavour combinations are in bold and all caps, in case you need to be told that chocolate and peanut butter are magical together.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Cook-Without-Book-Techniques/dp/0767902793/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398359787&sr=8-1&keywords=cooking+without+the+book

this one is also fantastic - as the title implies, it is all about teaching you to make your own recipes, by giving you a basic template for sauces, soups, etc that you can modify as you choose, as well as example recipes using those templates.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Those look absolutely amazing.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So, I'm a pretty fantastic baker but don't have much experience doing actual cooking! I usually seem to make good meals just because I stick closely to the recipes in lieu of real cookery experience, but wellllll...

Tomorrow I've got a potluck I need to bring some food for (that I plan to prepare tonight after work) and I'm not really sure what to make! I wouldn't mind changing it up and making a main/appetizer, but I have a tendency to lean towards desserts. Mostly because I know I can rock most dessert recipes without even really trying them out in advance thanks to baking since I was old enough to hold a whisk.

For recent dinner parties I've rocked a Black Forest cake (with a Kirsch syrup on the bottom layer and Kirsch-sour-cherry filling, and finely grated chocolate on top of a whipped cream icing) and red velvet cupcakes with a buttercream-cream-cheese icing. Someone else already called making cakes though, so that's out.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for fun things to make? Do you guys have a solid recipe you usually go to to win at potlucks?

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/stuffed-mushrooms-baby/

Holy shit. If only the hostess wasn't allergic to mushrooms... I'm pretty sure I'm going to make these as soon as humanly possible anyway though goddamn

Steam
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    as for going from baking to cooking, that was totally me. I started out helping my mom with baking, then did it on my own for years, but she still did all the cooking. As I got closer to moving out I tried to pay a bit more attention to what she was doing, but it wasn't really till I moved out that I started to learn for real.

For a while I just started with just following the recipe the first time I made something, and then slowly tweaking things from there. I still often screw up the first time I make something entirely new, but my wife knows to wait for the second time I make a new dish as I'll usually iron out the wrinkes the next time around.

if you want to get more creative, either making your own recipes or going wild with your modifications to existing ones, this is the greatest thing ever:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Flavor-Bible-Creativity-Imaginative/dp/0316118400/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398359508&sr=8-1&keywords=flavour+bible

it is literally just a book of flavours, listing hundreds of ingredients from fruits & vegetables to various meats and spices, and what ingredients taste good together, and what to avoid. Particularly good flavour combinations are in bold and all caps, in case you need to be told that chocolate and peanut butter are magical together.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Cook-Without-Book-Techniques/dp/0767902793/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398359787&sr=8-1&keywords=cooking+without+the+book

this one is also fantastic - as the title implies, it is all about teaching you to make your own recipes, by giving you a basic template for sauces, soups, etc that you can modify as you choose, as well as example recipes using those templates.

And man, I am definitely going to have to pick up those books. Thanks!!

Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Literally any time I ask my wife what she wants for a special occasion dinner (birthday, valentine's, anniversary, celebrating something, celebrating nothing in particular, etc) it is those mushroom caps. The recipe makes a ton, but don't try to reduce it. My favourite part is having leftover filling so that the next night I can make another pan of them for no more work than it takes to spoon the stuff into some caps and bake.

edit: the filling also freezes well.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    How chunky is the filling? I would think scooping it into a ziploc and cutting off a tip would enable you to just sort of pipe it into the caps pretty easily?

• Options
    it's pretty chunky, what with the crumbled sausage. you definitely need a spoon and your fingers to scoop/shove it in there

• Options
    How hard is it to not just... put the filling in your mouth

• Options
    Oh my god, the BBQ food truck has a sampler platter. Brisket, pork, chicken, hot links, baked beans, potato salad, and Como bread.

My arteries, oh god my arteries.

• Options
    I probably said it before, but oh well.
    There's a food truck out here in BR called Curbside.
    They have a KGB burger which is just heavenly.

Burger on a fresh bun with a fried egg, praline crusted bacon, and pork belly preserves on the bun.
    And then you eat it over the fries so when the egg yolk explodes it drips onto your fries.

• Options
    How hard is it to not just... put the filling in your mouth

I don't know, I've never succeeded

• Options
    my brother in-law was telling me about a pulled pork sandwich he had that was served between two jalapeno waffles

my mind was flooded with possibilites, and I do own a waffle iron

• Options
    There's a restaurant in LA called Copeland's.
    They had a chicken and waffle thing on the menu. Jalapeno and Cheddar belgian waffles with some sort of hollandaise? Or some kinda cream sauce poured over fried chicken breasts.

• Options
    Is it okay to make the macaroni recipe ahead of time and reheat in the oven tomorrow night? Or at least to pre-assemble it?

Steam
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    I'm taking the first steps very soon to start selling Meat and BBQ rubs at festivals and farmers markets.

Commercial kitchen rental is expensive.

i look forward to slathering your sauce all over my meat

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    today.

I attempt to make a slow cooker corned beef and tzimmes.

this is going to turn out either horribly wrong, or amazingly delicious.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Is it okay to make the macaroni recipe ahead of time and reheat in the oven tomorrow night? Or at least to pre-assemble it?

Yeah, I do that from time to time. If you assemble it and refrigerate it over night before baking it you'll need to add about a half hour onto the baking time.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, I do that from time to time. If you assemble it and refrigerate it over night before baking it you'll need to add about a half hour onto the baking time.

Hmm! Okay, thanks! I did a lot of the prep work tonight (cheese grating and onion chopping). I also got 3/4 of my Chocolate Cherry Trifle done! I'll take pictures tomorrow. And I think if half an hour gets added to the baking time I may as well just do the actual work tomorrow; that may save a bit of time. :)

Steam
  • Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    Had a nice meal at easter with my ex. We compliment each others cooking styles in the kitchen and it's good to get together (in small doses).

We made it up on the fly but it ended up being awesome.
    Chicken breast
    Choriso sausage
    risoni pasta
    fresh runner beans
    grape tomatoes
    porcini mushrooms
    some garlic
    some veggie stock

We gave most of it a fry before chucking it into the pot to finish it.
    We pan fried the choriso first and chucked it into the pot, then fried the chicken in the oil left by the choriso and then chucked that into the pot too.
    We halved the grape tomatoes and threw them in on the chicken about half way through the fry just to get some "brown" into them.
    We then gave the risoni a a bit of time in the pan just to absorb all the goodness then into the pot as well.
    Lastly we put the stock into the hot pan to lift all the goodness from the fry up before adding to the pot.
    Beans (topped and tailed and cut into roughly inch lengths) and mushrooms (roughly sliced) followed it all in and we simmered it about twenty minutes till the risoni had absorbed the liquid/was done, then served.

The choriso was a great flavour base that amazingly still allowed the pocini and bean flavours to shine through. Flavourgasmic.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ok, so far, here's the meal.

1 medium sized yellow onion
    3 medium sized orange sweet potatoes
    5 medium sized carrots
    12-15 prunes
    2tbsp rice bran oil
    1tbsp butter
    salt and pepper
    1 tbsp crushed garlic
    2 tsp crushed ginger
    2 green cardamom pods
    1 small cinnamon quill
    1.5 bay leaves
    10 whole cloves
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp whole black peppercorns
    1.25kg corned silverside (corned beef, but no brisket)
    250ml beef stock
    500ml apple juice
    water to cover

Prep:
    Peel sweet potatoes and carrots. Slice potatoes into 1/4 inch thick circles. Chop carrots into large chunks, as you would for a roast dinner. slice onion into thin rings and separate.
    Heat oil up in your cooking vessel (I'm using a slow cooker/pressure cooker combination thing)
    Add your onions and cook on sautee for about 5-8 minutes, or until softening. Add in salt and pepper, just a little. Add in butter until everything smells like butter and onions.
    Add in red pepper flakes and crushed garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, add in other whole spices and toast gently. Remove from heat for a bit.
    place a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom, on top of the onions and spices.
    Add on the corned silverside, and then surround with other carrots, potatoes, and prunes.
    Pour in your liquids. The stock and the apple juice first, and then top off with water and a few squirts of lemon juice (approx 1 tbsp

At this point, I put the lid onto the slow cooker and turned it on low for 7 hours.

After 7 hours, there was a LOT of liquid and the potatoes and carrots had not quite gone anywhere close to the mushy soft that I was expecting. They were done, but not soft and warm and squishy done, like expected.

We were going to be oven roasting some broccoli and cauliflower to go with the dinner, so while my husband was prepping that, I pulled the corned beef out, and put that into the middle of the roasting pan with the broccoli and cauliflower. I spread over the top a mixture of dijonaise and brown sugar, and then roasted that in the oven approx 350*F for about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, I switched the slow cooker thing onto it's simmer function and left the lid off, to help boil off the liquid and cook the veg a bit more.

After 40 minutes the corned beef was a bit drier, the top was nice and bubbly and brown and glistening, the broocoli and cauliflower were just at that roasted point, so I pulled the tray out and topped the veggies with shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, and then back in under the broiler for about 5 minutes ish.

Corned beef came out juicy, tender, and amazingly easy to cut. The veggies were roasted and the cheese melty, and the sweet potatoes and carrots a bit softer and delicious. The prunes, unfortunately, dissolved into pretty much nothing after 8+ hours of cooking. Note to self, add those in later and use less liquid.

20140425_195847_zpskqo93osb.jpg

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'm feeling shitty after picking up a flu on the first day of the road trip I just finished, so I was going to make some comfort hummus. I just found out that I somehow have no garlic in the house. I don't feel whole. It could explain why I feel so shitty, actually.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I feel much better now.
    d1.jpg?psid=1

The red is Sriracha.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    So all my veggies are coming to life! Sugar snap peas are coming slowly but surely, my shallots had a growth spurt while I was away, rhubarb is starting to show, raspberry plants are waking up, strawberries are going nuts, sprouting broccoli is taking its time and my herbs are blooming! I can't wait to start cooking with everything over the next few months.

Plus its the time of year for wild garlic! I'm making about a litre of pesto today and spreading the love at work, and I'll probably come back to the corner of our land where it grows a few more times before it dies off. Last but not least I'm defrosting some of the 3kg of last years blackberries from the deep freeze for some crumble!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    spargel season has started! so I made steak and asparagus w white anchovies (I don't even really like asparagus but I believe in trying to eat seasonally, so).

tumblr_n4ph9vAion1rir1ybo1_500.jpg

(I also made a cheese-mustard-wasabi sauce for the asparagus which may have been a leeeetle overkill)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    My whole family loves asparagus. So much so that my girlfriend thought it was weird.

jgeis on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Just made roast beef with mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, and steamed carrots and had my parents + some family friends over. I think I annoyed my mom, as I was washing dishes as I cooked , so when the meal was ended aside from everyone's dinner dishes, the only stuff to clean was a few serving bowls and one pot.

I don't want to say I'm a better cook than my mom, but I'm definitely more organized.

And a better cook B)

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I've been pronouncing Auchentoshan so wrong it's not even funny.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    I feel like there should be a tea thread of its own but here will have to do.

Finally got organised enough to bring my own milk and teabags to work and OH HAPPY DAYS I HAVE DECENT TEA AT WORK

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    How is carbon steel wok seasoned?

Also I took cooking class in Thailand it was great

So last night I coincidentally was going for a walk and walked by thai speciality grocery store so I got buncha ingredients
    But I forgot lime leaves doh

And I didn't have time to buy meat elsewhere so I need to cook this week asap before this thai basil goes bad

Also ordered a wok cuz while I can technically use pans I have, wok superior for this purpose

poo
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Get it hot as fuck and wipe plenty of sesame seed oil onto it.

Then let it cool.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Man, I tried something a little different last night and got some entrecote (rib eye in English I think) on the bone. It was fucking heavenly.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    myself, I bought too much sirloin roast on the weekend (it was on special)

ended up slicing into steaks and freezing a few

tumblr_n4x5n7iFrS1rir1ybo2_1280.jpg

This discussion has been closed.