As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dash Cams. What to look for?

RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
So... I think I want some sort of dash cam DVR thingy. Why? I watched a lot of Russian dash cam vids on YouTube (it seems they are very popular in Russia) and it seems like a good idea to have for insurance purposes. Also, a lot of f-wads drive kinda recklessly around where I live -- I honestly wouldn't mind sending local authorities clips of some of the worse crap I've seen. At first I thought there might be privacy issues but honestly, anyone with a phone can record video so I'm only interested in hearing about possible privacy issues if these things are for whatever reason not legal in the U.S.

Anybody have one? What do I look for? If I had to make a wish list, it would be;
- Records clear video day and night
- Is easy to use
- Would be great if it recorded both front and rear (I got rear-ended once)
- Is super simple to offload recorded video (I use Macs)

Any advice?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    A lot of bikers/cyclists use MD80s bought from ebay. There are a ton of Hong Kong sellers with them.

They're dirt cheap, record to microsd, and the quality is reasonable. Plus depending on seller you usually get a mounting kit.

You would need to remember to charge them and clear out the video occasionally, though.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I cannot imagine a situation in which you would need a dash cam video to prove that someone rear-ending you was their fault; it's pretty much always assumed.

You should also make sure to consult your local laws on whether or not it's even legal for you to use one. It's not a matter of "not legal in the U.S.," it's a matter of "not legal in your state," or whatever state you happen to be travelling through, whichever the case may be.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I cannot imagine a situation in which you would need a dash cam video to prove that someone rear-ending you was their fault; it's pretty much always assumed.

You should also make sure to consult your local laws on whether or not it's even legal for you to use one. It's not a matter of "not legal in the U.S.," it's a matter of "not legal in your state," or whatever state you happen to be travelling through, whichever the case may be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnnaDNZgSgs
    This is more of what I'd be concerned about, people rear ending you isn't that big of an issue as the fault is almost always entirely on them.

I've used an Aiptek X1 as well as a BlackVue DR400G-HD out of the two I recommend the Aiptek which you will need to find someone in the UK to send you one or search eBay.

- Records clear video day and night
    Both the Aiptek and BlackVue have sample videos online, keep in mind those are "best case" and usually are videos that manufacture posted themselves but if you search you can find independent videos and get an idea of quality.

- Is easy to use
    Both are quite easy to use
    - Would be great if it recorded both front and rear (I got rear-ended once)
    You would need two or a system for that, personally I recommend only a front facing one.

- Is super simple to offload recorded video (I use Macs)
    Most of them are just plug in, drag and drop.

iRevert on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Recording video in public is considered by US courts and the Department of Justice to be constitutionally protected. Legal issues only arise when recording on private property, with audio, or when the recording is going to be used in a film/TV/etc.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.