As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post College Plans were... scrambled....

Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen"Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
Well I tried posting for help in the military thread, but it seems that its largely inactive...

I'll be graduating from college this semester as well as commissioning as 2nd Lieutenant with a Bachelor of Science in History and a Minor in Political Science. Originally, my post college plan revolved around the concept that I had volunteered to be Cadre for ROTC Training Courses over the summer located in Kentucky or Washington. (state) If those plans had fallen apart I would instead apply for Gold Bar Recruiter and work with a ROTC Program recruiting future College students for a ROTC Program. However, when we received our active duty orders last thursday I was in for quite a shock. I anticipated that I'd receive my orders to leave no later than September at the latest. I had checked ATTRS (Database used for tracking school slots) and that there were plenty of vacant slots this year. I was purposely called last to my Commander's office and they broke the news to me. The Commander basically told me (Not verbatim), "Hope you have awesome parents because your going to be living at home for a long time. You're shipping out next March. March 2014" Well fuck me. Now I'm not elligible for any of the above because my leave date

To be honest. I have no idea what to really do at this point. I don't want to go from living on my own for three years to moving back in with Mom and Dad. Mainly because I grew up in a shitty home with alcohol and substance abuse between my Dad and my sister. The two of them haven't gotten better in time. In addition, I don't actually have any friends back at home either because I was an introvert in high school or that those friends have moved on in life. I'll end up becoming extremely depressed and hating life for 10 months too long at home.

At this point what can I really do? Yeah, finding a job is an implied task. However, I can't see any job actually wanting to take me outside of fast food, waitering, bartender, etc. because the cost to train and prepare me for a career style job is not worth the cost when the job market is in the employers favor and that they already know that I'll be leaving in a year for Active Duty. (And I don't want to work any of those jobs)

Waffles or whatever on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Just take a service industry job for a year and then quit when it's time to ship. Who cares if you want to work them or not? That's life. A BS doesn't put you above working behind a bar for a year (though that's not an entry level job by any means...).

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Yeah, just go wait tables for a year. You'll make enough to live and you'll learn how important it is to treat service people well. Everyone should have to wait tables for at least six months of their lives. You don't have to move home, live wherever your friends are, or somewhere you think is cool. Treat it as an opportunity to get some life experience. Bonus is that if you don't have any friends at home, a service job is the best place to make some. Everyone's 25, drunk, and fucking each other. Get into it.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Connect some staffing agencies in your area. Informing them of your time crunch is up to you. I did the same thing for the 4 months before basic training.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Keep in mind I said minimum wage jobs are off the table.

• Options
    Waffen wrote: »

Well, you never said that, and I make more tending bar than most professors I know. What else do you have to do for the next year besides live with your parents? Is that better than waiting tables?

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Why don't you simply get hired at a real job and not tell them?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options

Keep in mind the two suggestions you've gotten so far are food service and skilled temp positions, neither of which are minimum wage

Also keep in mind you have a completely useless college degree and no experience doing anything, and probably shouldn't be acting like you're too good for either of those

• Options
    edited February 2013

Keep in mind the two suggestions you've gotten so far are food service and skilled temp positions, neither of which are minimum wage

Also keep in mind you have a completely useless college degree and no experience doing anything, and probably shouldn't be acting like you're too good for either of those

I'm reading all your posts in Ron Swanson's voice and it's amazing.

Esh on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    staffing agencies are a good approach if the market in your area isn't already saturated by people (i.e. everywhere, but hey.) Some actually prefer people in situations like yours because they feel like they can hire you out to positions that don't necessarily have a lot of long-term viability without it being much of an issue later on.

You might not necessarily be doing a ton better than minimum wage but it's relatively low commitment and a decent way to see some different kinds of work environments

failing that there's construction/day labor/basic handyman stuff. They're always looking if its in season and going on in your area

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

I have two tours under my belt to Afghanistan as an 88N (Traffic Management Coordinator) with the 75th Ranger Regiment. How dare you even attempt to accuse my service as being worthless.

You know what fuck it. I came here for advice. Not to be insulted. Can I get a mod to shut this thread down?

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, you probably should have mentioned that. No one is trying to be insulting, but you failed to give all relevant information and then pooh-poohed your most realistic prospect. From your description you sounded fresh out of college with a degree that is really not worth much in the private sector - it's not an insult, it's just reality.

You should see if you have a boots to suits program in your area. I don't know if they take those who are still active or not but they will probably at least help you network. If not that then, again, a service job for a year is not the worst thing in the world.

edit - and you need to relax as well. I understand this is stressful but we are trying to help. I didn't "accuse [your] service as" anything, you didn't mention it at all in the OP.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I have two tours under my belt to Afghanistan as an 88N (Traffic Management Coordinator) with the 75th Ranger Regiment. How dare you even attempt to accuse my service as being worthless.

You know what fuck it. I came here for advice. Not to be insulted. Can I get a mod to shut this thread down?

No one ever accused your service of being worthless, rather your degree (sans a masters or doctorate). Since you're probably not going to find work doing what you did in the service (during this interim year), the advice we've given you is still very, very applicable. Just relax, get an easy job, and have a good time before things get tough again.

Esh on
This discussion has been closed.