As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pancake Tuesday for a Gluten Intolerant

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
Every Pancake Tuesday I make a batch of pancakes for my roommates comprised of the following recipe:

4 oz of flour
1/2 pint of milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon of salt

However since last PT one of my roommates has self diagnosed herself as being gluten intolerant, so I'm wondering: How radically different would the cooking of the pancakes be if I substituted normal flour for gluten-free flour?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Use buckwheat flour, it's gluten free. It may actually be what you're talking about. It's great for pancakes (the French use buckwheat for savoury ones and standard wheat flour for sweet, but I've used buckwheat for sweet ones and it's still great)

For all pancake recipes the flour:egg:milk ratios vary massively, and there's nothing super special about changing your flour.

That said, if you do need a recipe:
    330 g buckwheat flour
    pinch of salt
    750ml liquid (generally I put some lager in with the milk to do little bubbles)
    An egg

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You can also use club soda for the bubbles, but I have found that I don't really like my pancakes textured that way. It's just something I happened to learn about a week or two ago.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    Bisquick makes a gluten free pancake flour that's virtually indistinguishable from regular pancake flour. Speaking as someone who is also Gluten Intolerant, it's one of the few things that truly is the same. The difficult part might arise from the syrup that you might have for them. Some of them use gluten containing ingredients for coloring.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    wmelon wrote: »
    Bisquick makes a gluten free pancake flour that's virtually indistinguishable from regular pancake flour. Speaking as someone who is also Gluten Intolerant, it's one of the few things that truly is the same. The difficult part might arise from the syrup that you might have for them. Some of them use gluten containing ingredients for coloring.

Yeah, my fiancee has celiac disease and makes pancakes with that Bisquick mix. They come out great, so that's a good option if you just feel like buying a mix.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    This is way off your original recipe, but we've been on a no-gluten experiment and my wife has been making "banana pancakes". To make two, mash a banana in a plate. Thoroughly mix in 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of almond butter. Pour this into a hot, buttered frying pan and cook flipping once.

It sounds weird but it is pretty tasty and quite filling.

BlazeFire on