As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me horrible things about Denver/Boulder

supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
I am considering moving my family to the Denver/Boulder area. In part because I hear loads of good things about Denver/Boulder. Tell me the bad sides that nobody mentions. FWIW, my family is two married gay white male atheists and our two not white toddlers. And yes, I already know that Focus on the Family and a whole host of other crazy Jesus wackos reside in Colorado.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    How far a move is it, and what kind of work do you do? The first thing to do is make sure there's a good market for your skills there. Then start looking at pros and cons. It's better not to get attached to the idea of moving somewhere if your lifestyle won't be sustainable or better, IMO.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    Why exactly are you planning to move to Denver or Boulder? There is nothing wrong with those places (boulder is about as progressive as it gets for any city in Colorado but it's expensive and the job market isn't too hot unless you have a very narrow set of skills). Denver is a great city but again the job market is pretty tepid right now. Where exactly where you planning to live in these areas? The Denver/Boulder area is a traffic nightmare so you should plan on living relative to where you work. Now the crazy religious people you speak of only seem to talk shit but no one ever bothers to pay attention. I don't think you would have any problems with locals harassing you or anything. Also, there has been a crazy rebound in the housing market lately and vacancy is like less than one percent in a lot of areas (which means rent is crazy high). I'm assuming certain parts of Denver are going to be cheaper than most of what you will find in Boulder. So, to recap: 1.) Rent 2.)Jobs 3.)Traffic. This could be way different from the last time I took note of these things (I live in northern Colorado about 35 minutes from boulder) but these three things have been a constant for a while now. Also, Boulder tends to have a lot of local ordinances and fines for things most people wouldn't even imagine being a problem so take a look at those while you're researching.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    supabeast wrote: »
    I am considering moving my family to the Denver/Boulder area. In part because I hear loads of good things about Denver/Boulder. Tell me the bad sides that nobody mentions. FWIW, my family is two married gay white male atheists and our two not white toddlers. And yes, I already know that Focus on the Family and a whole host of other crazy Jesus wackos reside in Colorado.

Having lived in this state for 16 years, the metro area for about 9, and Boulder specifically for 5:

-The fundies are mostly concentrated in Colorado Springs about an hour to the south and don't make much of an impact on stuff beyond there. You get the occasional rural-types and rich folks with the expected right-wingery but Denver is a pretty unpolitical area (in my experience) when it comes to big social issues. Boulder is, well...

-Boulder is populated and controlled almost entirely by wealthy aging hippies and populated by the same plus college students. Nobody will bat an eye if you smoke a joint in public, but failing to yield to a cyclist will get you a ticket. Animals are practically worshipped, but they aren't allowed downtown at all because of pooping and barking and all that icky stuff. It's a weird place but also delightful. A real foodie's town, with tons of great restaurants and breweries. It's also open-minded to a fault when it comes to alternative lifestyles. Still a lot of fun. Expensive to live in, the kind of starter home that might go for the mid 200s in a decent Denver suburb will set you back at least half a mil in Boulder unless it was built in the 50s. Traffic is awful; it can take you half an hour to get about five miles across town, and that's after rush hour.

That addresses the sucky stuff you asked about. The sucky stuff you didn't:

-The metro area is getting expensive to live in. Rents are up like 40% over the last five years. The housing market never really dived in the crash and has gotten pricier ever since, unless you choose to live 20 miles from everything in somewhere like Parker. Gas prices are comparable to LA or the East Coast, i.e. pretty high. This is a very desirable state to live in for a multitude of reasons and while it's not as outrageous as the bay area in terms of cost of living, it's higher than anything else from Texas to Minnesota and St. Louis to LA.

-The weather is usually nice, but it'll lull you into complacency. Severe summer weather is rare, but if you live on the eastern plains expect serious hail and serious tornadoes on a weekly basis during those months. Winters are usually mild but we get really bad blizzards from time to time, so you need to own a car that can handle some snow and ice even if you only need that a few weeks out of the year. I drove a rear wheel drive BMW for two winters and it almost killed me a few times even being insanely cautious. And weather forecasts are a joke, it'll go from 50s and sunny to 20s with icy roads in a few hours. Single digits and below-zero temps in the winter are about as common as 100s in the summer, so you'll need to own extreme weather clothing for all seasons. And the wind, don't get me started on the fucking wind. It ruins every outdoor activity from march to may and september to november.

-Denver traffic is bad. Not L.A. legendarily bad, though it should be. God help you if you have to commute during rush hour. I-25 is a special circle of hell. C-470 is the state's biggest parking lot. US 36 is a lovecraftian nightmare. I-70 during ski season reminds me of the entrance of an Alabama Wal-Mart at a midnight opening on Black Friday. You will grow to hate driving anywhere, because for some reason everywhere you have to go involves at least two highways, a couple of one-way streets, and is as far across town from where you are as is possible without leaving the metro area. This is logically impossible but experts have been hard at work studying non-Euclidean geometry and the potential existence of an intelligent and malicious creator to explain the phenomenon.

-This state has tried, and come respectably close to, killing me with fire not one but two times.

-People are mostly nice, but you get the odd insufferable uber-Boulderite, or activist stoner, or self-righteous yuppie snowboarder, or oversized-truck-driving redneck just often enough to make you forget the other 90% of the population.

-Anyone who tells you they're a native Coloradan has not actually uttered words that have meaning. It's such a mish-mash of cultures from various walks of life (and just about everyone within one or two generations came from elsewhere) that it's basically a blank cultural slate. About the only thing the state can truly lay a unique claim to, culturally, is the rise of American craft beer. And unleashing upon the world the pox that is South Park, which a lot of people here are oddly proud of. Which is a bit like being proud of having awoken Cthulhu from his slumber in R'lyeh.

-Don't go to Greeley. Ever. It smells like cow shit, but hilariously enough it's not actually cow shit. It's far, far more gruesome, and the most insidious thing about spending any amount of time in Greeley, something that Stephen King would have been proud to have written about, is that you grow accustomed to it and forget that it's there.

I don't actually dislike this state you just asked for the worst bits. I'm trying to be unkind here!

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    -This state has tried, and come respectably close to, killing me with fire not one but two times.
    Having two major wildfires last year that were too close for comfort for me I'll agree that this is a negative. The recent drought we've been experiencing shows no signs of letting up this year. So places like the front range and Boulder will experience wildfires that come close to city limits during the summer. This would be more of a Boulder con because of its location.

-Don't go to Greeley. Ever. It smells like cow shit, but hilariously enough it's not actually cow shit. It's far, far more gruesome, and the most insidious thing about spending any amount of time in Greeley, something that Stephen King would have been proud to have written about, is that you grow accustomed to it and forget that it's there.
    Everyone who lives in Colorado should experience Greeley at least once in their lifetime. Since I live about 25 minutes away from Greeley I get to experience it every time the wind blows from the east :(.
    -Boulder is populated and controlled almost entirely by wealthy aging hippies and populated by the same plus college students. Nobody will bat an eye if you smoke a joint in public, but failing to yield to a cyclist will get you a ticket. Animals are practically worshipped, but they aren't allowed downtown at all because of pooping and barking and all that icky stuff. It's a weird place but also delightful. A real foodie's town, with tons of great restaurants and breweries. It's also open-minded to a fault when it comes to alternative lifestyles. Still a lot of fun. Expensive to live in, the kind of starter home that might go for the mid 200s in a decent Denver suburb will set you back at least half a mil in Boulder unless it was built in the 50s. Traffic is awful; it can take you half an hour to get about five miles across town, and that's after rush hour.

I always find it weird that going to Boulder takes more time than going through Denver. The streets in Boulder just cant handle the kind of traffic they get. It is horrifying trying to get through that city.
    Edit: Also, there is a reason Denver has the infamous Brown cloud. Although I think that has mostly cleared in the last decade or so. It used to be visible on the horizon for miles before you actually saw the skyline.

mbannick on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I am from a state that has humidity and I now live in Colorado. My skin is cracking and falling off. Like, I go through bottles and bottles of lotion and I drink tons of water and my skin is still so dry it literally cracks.

Colorado weather is fucking terrible as well, don't let anyone tell you different. Monday will see 3 inches of snow, Tuesday will be 60 degrees. You will leave the house on a beautiful spring morning, at noon there will be the worst rainstorm you have ever seen, and by 3 the streets are dry like it never happened. I guess there are people that think this is awesome, I call it Stockholm Syndrome.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    I should probably have pointed out that we will be moving from Manhattan, where our rent is $6,000 a month and it takes 30 minutes to just drive across a small island in traffic. So real estate prices and traffic are not really an issue ;)

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Boulder
    Everyone is radder than you, bro. Did you know that guy over there has done a triathlon? Don't worry, he'll make sure to tell you.
    Denver
    TRAFFIC - literally 1 way to get many places, so no "gaming" the traffic.
    It's very LA-ish in how spread it is
    Lots of strip malls (much like most of the west)
    Very dry (as stated above)
    A bit of a cultural wasteland, as the core is madeup of people from the midwest who wanted to go to a city (getting better though)

For you guys - there are a lot of fundies in CO. LOTS. Also lots of perfectly tolerant people, but just note there are pockets of weird.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    They aren't joking about the weather. Just this Saturday I was helping my folks move and it was a nice 55 degrees with warm sun. But it turned cloudy and cold and windy literally in the span of me carrying a couch away.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I visited some friends in Denver a couple years ago in March.
    Navigating downtown was a pain in the butt with all the one-way streets and the river and such.
    Also the weather was in the mid 60s for the 4 days we were there.
    Until the last night when it dropped to like 25 and they got about 14 inches of snow.
    But it was great to hang out in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Do you enjoy brown and grey in the summer? Plus red fires every so often? You better enjoy that, it's 90% of what you see. Beetles are killing the evergreens, so even those are brown. And your grass will not be green either, because water restrictions will be in place 50+% of the time. The foothills of Jefferson County is probably next in line for a fire to burn it down.

If you enjoy any sports on water or just being near water, you aren't going to the right place. Rivers are prone to flash flooding, and are either ice cold snowmelt or murky warm silt runoff.
    schuss wrote: »
    Boulder
    Everyone is radder than you, bro. Did you know that guy over there has done a triathlon? Don't worry, he'll make sure to tell you.

This so much. Even if they haven't done it, they know someone better. They always know someone better.

More Boulder: Parking spaces are designed for tiny cars, roughly 50% of the cars are grey or forest green Subarus. The city is dogmatic in its pro-ecological orientation and has generated some of the craziest politicians and political machines I've had the misfortune of talking to. It's the Tea Party from the other side, and it is terrifying.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Public transport is not very good. The buses can be OK, if they are going where you want to go. But transport is not nearly as nice as NYC's. You will need cars.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Public transport is not very good. The buses can be OK, if they are going where you want to go. But transport is not nearly as nice as NYC's. You will need a 4 wheel drive truck.

Fixed that for you. The weather is insane. Mother Nature makes an effort to kill you. We're #1 per capita for lightning strikes in the world. We're getting worse and worse traffic problems. The Waldo Canyon fire almost took my parents house. I'm from Colorado Springs, and yes the fundies get a little annoying. And the hippies in Boulder also get a little annoying.

But you know what?

549283_430787880322605_561877043_n.jpg

Damn I love my state.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Yep, still in the top 10 state-wise, easily.

• Options
    pft, I lived in Colorado for most of my life, and when I drove it was mostly my Prius.
    I took it up to the mountains several times, and it survived a blizzard or two. It's not really that bad, although a lot of people drive Subarus.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It's quite easy to get a pretty nasty sunburn here (Not sure if it's the generally low humidity making it feel cooler, or the thinner air or what), and chances are it'll happen to you before you realize it. So, sunscreen is your friend, especially if you've got little ones.

As for 4x4 trucks, don't believe the hype. Unless you're living in the middle of nowhere, a front wheel drive is enough to get you anywhere you need to go in all but the very worst of conditions. In my experience, 4x4s tend to breed the kind of over confidence in drivers that ends with them sitting on the side of a road waiting for a tow truck to pull them out. Not always, and the majority of people who drive them are aware that it doesn't make their car unstoppable, but it happens enough to make note of.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    I live in Laramie, Wyoming which is not technically in colorado but is about 40 minutes of straight road away. We all pretty much shop and recreate in northern colorado (and we have real weather, not this watered down stuff these southern wusses are crying about)

I would recommend you split the difference between boulder and denver and look in the fort collins area. It's cheaper than denver, but not so "suburban" as some of the other outliers.

It has a lot of the same cultural liberalism as boulder but isn't so up its own ass about it, and you can very easily get to boulder or denver for events.

You will need neither a car nor a "4 wheel truck"

You will need a subaru. Subarus are really the only palatable option to combine high mileage, decent perforce, and 60/40 self correcting allwheel drive ... little fuckers stick to black ice like tree frogs on a window. Unless you have a lot of money. Then get a 4wd infiniti, or a land rover.

You literally cannot live in a square state without daily driving, unless you are willing to very much make a lifestyle out of being a non-driver.

Coming from an actual redneck hellhole (Casper wyoming) colorado seems pretty urbane to me, but don't expect it be Manhattan, obviously. It's got all the normal chain shit, some decent local stuff, but hey, you know, not Manhattan.

If your income isn't going down, 6000 a month essentially allows you point at any structure in northern colorado and go "That one" ... 1500 will rent you a decent house, 3000 something ostentatious, 5kay really something ridiculous. Boulder proper might cost a bit more.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Having only recently moved to Denver (from not-City), I'd bring up the things we noticed that have been hit or miss:

-The weather is definitely schizophrenic. Sometimes that's great and works in your favor. Other days it's sunny and warm and then suddenly oh shit it's snowing wait what it's sunny again?
    -Looking for a place to live was somewhat of a hassle, as mentioned above. Your budget may render that irrelevant, but things definitely seemed a bit overpriced compared to size, and there was definitely more renters than availability. At some of the places we looked, there weren't many options, and those options were being fought over by a crowd of people. Could be seasonal though.
    -As previously mentioned, traffic/commute can be annoying. Also, maaaaan we've seen a lot of bad drivers in Denver. Not necessarily aggressive (but sure), but just... not paying any sort of attention? Not sure what it is.
    -Again, it is very dry here. Lots and lots of lotion to keep your skin from breaking.
    -Everybody is fit and beautiful and has dogs. This isn't really a problem, I suppose, unless you count petty jealousy.

On the whole it's been a very pleasant experience, so take the bad things with a grain of salt.

• Options
    The weather is fantastic. I was often told that if you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes.
    But one thing to be aware of is the temperature differential from day to night. I recently moved to manhattan from boulder, and oh man.
    Boulder gets cool/cold at night. In the summer I never ran the A/C at night, even when it got near 100s during the day. And if there is any water/slush on the road in the winter, it will be ice in the morning. Unless it is a rather warm winter day, then all bets are off.
    There will be rather intense rain storms that disappear quickly- none of this day/afternoon-long nonsense I see out here.
    Also, at high altitude, some people need a bit of time adjusting. If you visit, be aware that breathing may be difficult, especially if you do intense activity. But you should acclimate if you actually move there.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I can't speak to the Denver area personally (I'm interested in moving there soon though), but just as general advice I'd avoid deciding to move based on relgious-fundie populations, as there really is no accounting for the individual experience and carving out your own social circles...I've spent my life in the midwest and the only time any ever yelled out "FAG" to me was while I was vacationing in San Francisco.

(I also happen to not be gay, but there you have it anyways).

Darlan on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    pft, I lived in Colorado for most of my life, and when I drove it was mostly my Prius.
    I took it up to the mountains several times, and it survived a blizzard or two. It's not really that bad, although a lot of people drive Subarus.

I cannot describe the extreme mirth I feel when I am driving in the mountains in winter, and blow past lines Priuses and BMWs sliding backwards on ice downhill. Even when there's a two-hour delay because of them. It happens at least once a season.

You don't need a 4x4 if you're just going to be tooling around the city, but if you want to go skiing on your own terms then you will. You CAN make the trip in a 2WD most of the time but it's incredibly unsafe and you might get stuck.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options

I cannot describe the extreme mirth I feel when I am driving in the mountains in winter, and blow past lines Priuses and BMWs sliding backwards on ice downhill. Even when there's a two-hour delay because of them. It happens at least once a season.

You don't need a 4x4 if you're just going to be tooling around the city, but if you want to go skiing on your own terms then you will. You CAN make the trip in a 2WD most of the time but it's incredibly unsafe and you might get stuck.

Not really. For roads that are normally paved, 2WD with snow tires is about 95% as effective as 4WD, and not having an SUV actually helps when it comes to braking distance.

• Options
    That's fine. I'm just saying I see this scene at least once a year on I-70, and it's never the 4x4's sliding backwards into a ditch. I'm sure there are some 2WD cars with good tires and good drivers that can make it through a mountain blizzard just fine, but it's definitely more difficult.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    That's fine. I'm just saying I see this scene at least once a year on I-70, and it's never the 4x4's sliding backwards into a ditch. I'm sure there are some 2WD cars with good tires and good drivers that can make it through a mountain blizzard just fine, but it's definitely more difficult.
    Yeah it's more difficult, but it's still doable so long as you're not an idiot and you take your time. If you are an idiot, not even the worlds best 4x4 is going to protect you from your own stupidity.

• Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    Air quality sometimes gets bad (we get "red" days, due to the air being trapped against the Rockies). The quality of the drinking water supply is amazing (best in the country?). No, you don't need a 4 by 4 truck or car. I drive a 94 Prelude with good 4 season tires and drive from Arvada to Denver (downtown) every day. Traffic is bad? Compared to what???? There is no bridge or body of water (I come from Montreal, Canada), you can get places using different roads, always. Depends where you work of course. I do not travel south on I-25, I agree that would suck. But, the express lanes (HOV, or high occupancy vehicle lanes) are great for buses and motorcycles! Coming fron Arvada to downtown Denver, I can make it in less than 20 mins on my motorbike. Job market sucks? Depends what your field is. If you're like me (I.T.), you have your choice as the I.T. market is picking up and finding a competant systems analyst here is challenging. I am not sure about other markets though. Yes, the weather is nice. 350 days of sunshine they say. There's no winter (remember, I come from Canada). I call it "festively cool", not cold. I don't even winterize my motorbike. I would not live in Boulder, period. Real-estate market is inflated there. It's artificial. In and around Arvada, real-estate is awesome (compared to the east coast).

My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    I giggled both times I read "motorbike"

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Just a note, when I said that you need a vehicle that can handle winter weather, I'm not talking about a 4x4 necessarily. Something front-wheel drive with decent tires will do the trick as long as you're careful when it's bad out. Don't let your tires get too worn out and for the love of god don't drive RWD here. All it takes is one good hill (we have those here, you might have heard about them) and some ice and you're screwed.

Also the state is hell on cars in general. Don't drive anything you cherish here, in this state you and your car are a two-man team fighting a losing battle against the ravages of weather, entropy, and the folly of humanity. At least one of you is going to get some scars to talk about.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Also the state is hell on cars in general.

I can elaborate on that. Colorado uses magnesium chloride instead of salt, which doesn't destroy car bodies. Back home (Canada), you just don't see old cars around because they crumble (because of the salt). Colorado uses gravel also, which means that everybody has pitted windshields (even cracked). Also, we get freakish hail storms sometimes. You sometimes see cars that are all dented/pitted from it, especially with RVs (the siding just cannot take it). But overall, you still see cars from the 80s around in great shape! The dry climate helps with that. I drive a 94 Honda Prelude that's still in great shape! My 0.02 dolla.

EDIT: I mean motorcar.

Bendit on
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    "How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    Seruko, I used to live on Simms and 103rd avenue, in plain view of the retired Rocky Flats plants (now destroyed). There is much to read about the subject. I can tell you that I've never seen 3-headed animals or anything like that...

• Options
    The radiation is what makes us so skinny

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    The radiation is what makes us so skinny

This goes so well with your avatar.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Seruko wrote: »

so is Arvada like Fallout LARPing or something

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    I'm not from the area, but my girlfriend lived there for quite some time, and she has nothing but good things to say. There's some hurdles, like any city, but in general it's a very favorable place to live (as you found out in these posts) and it's difficult to complain when you look at it objectively.

When I visited, traffic was a bitch. You need a car. It had some urban sprawl. Kinda typical complaints for US cities though. Scenery was gorgeous, but you need to tolerate winters. I live on Lake Superior, though, so any other winter feels relatively mild by comparison. I'd be GREAT with a Denver winter.

In addition, a buddy of mine moved from my hometown to Denver and he loves it. Raves about it often. And he lives on Colfax, a "shady" part of Denver, but still finds the experience mostly favorable. I went down Colfax and didn't find anything too disruptive. Some homeless guys asked us for one of our beers, and hey, why not? He was polite and all was well. It's anecdotal, but I give it the thumbs up.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf