As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Self-Perception

12346»

• Options
    nnzqsnnzqs Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    with willpower and effort you can unlearn certain ideas you might call "common sense" and learn new ones which are more helpful.

Haven't you heard, there's no such thing as free will!

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/09/index.html

nnzqs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually, now that I think about it, my girlfriend's grandpa scored off the charts on IQ and other standardized tests, and he became a barber. Actually, her mom is apparently somewhat of a genius-type, but she became a very classic stay-at-home mom. She makes me feel all emasculated because she's this classic suburban mom, reading Danielle Steele and such, and then she pulls some random appliance apart and fixes it while talking to me about Buckyballs or something. Actually, now that I think about it, her entire extended family is full of smart people.

My extended family? Alcoholics and crazy people.

From anecdotal evidence people with very high IQs tend towards the extremes in 'job success', i.e. either high up managers in big companies, lawyers, doctors etc or they're cleaners.

Leitner on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    No it's not even that, you're not reading what i'm posting. I'm telling you that academics is a part of intelligence but it is nowhere near the all and end of it. Like I said, i'm not actually that clever (you've made me put this three times now). Also, as i've already said, I saw that I was academically bad and so have improved myself in that area. I still don't think i'm anything special though, and at no point in my life have I ever turned to another person and made a comment about who was more intelligent between either of us. Plainly because there is no way of knowing.

I haven't "made" you put anything in and I don't think there is anything wrong with being untalented or uninterested in academics. The idea of "intelligence" is crap.

Shinto on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SC wrote: »
    From anecdotal evidence people with very high IQs tend towards the extremes in 'job success', i.e. either high up managers in big companies, lawyers, doctors etc or they're cleaners.
    I've always thought it was interesting that IQ tests aren't used more as personality inventories. The skills they measure seem to be more correlated with the way you interact with the world than with what most people see as "intellect". Which, I have to agree with Shinto, probably doesn't actually exist. I find myself saying "intelligent" a lot when what I generally mean is either well read, or more dedicated to a certain area of study. I think the shorthand, plus the fact that it's a way of avoiding responsibility ("Oh! you're so smart, I can never get math" when all the did was work far more than you), contribute to it being such an attractive idea.

Edit: For instance, I notice I did it in the post you were just responding to.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    SC wrote: »
    Actually, now that I think about it, my girlfriend's grandpa scored off the charts on IQ and other standardized tests, and he became a barber. Actually, her mom is apparently somewhat of a genius-type, but she became a very classic stay-at-home mom. She makes me feel all emasculated because she's this classic suburban mom, reading Danielle Steele and such, and then she pulls some random appliance apart and fixes it while talking to me about Buckyballs or something. Actually, now that I think about it, her entire extended family is full of smart people.

My extended family? Alcoholics and crazy people.

That could easily be a result of their self-confidence from their self-perceived "intelligence".

Personally I think intelligence exists, but considering how much we know about the human brain and how it works (hint: very little), I doubt we have any accurate methods for "measuring" it.

ege02 on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    After seeing this thread... Is it alright if I make another thread concerning "Race" and Intelligence? In the last thread I made, I don't think I really got to say all I wanted to say. Actually, I want everyone's opinion on this issue.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Man, all the SAT measures is how good you are at taking tests. Fuck that.

Intelligence can't really be measured objectively in most cases. I mean, at the two extremes of the spectrum, it can be done (people who are really intelligent, and people who are really stupid), but for the vast majority of us who fall somewhere between the third and 99.9th percentile of intelligence, it's going to be really subjective.

I have a friend who's getting his Ph.D in Optics. He once gave a presentation to me for which I understood most of the pronouns and articles, and that was it; incredibly advanced math, talking about double-tau particles, highly complex equations, etc. I'd say the guy is way, way smarter than me. However, on the surface, he needs to pull out a calculator to work with basic fractions that I have no problem doing in my head. So, does that mean I'm smarter than him? I helped a lot of engineers/hard science majors get through accounting and business law; that stuff isn't anywhere near as hard as the stuff they were doing, but they had problems with it, whereas I pretty much breezed through it.

I think peoples' brains are just wired differently. If I'm good at analogies and Algebra II, along with taking tests, I get a good SAT score; if I'm not, I don't (okay, that changed recently, but back when I took it that was true).

Tell that to Charles Murray, Arthur Jensen, Philippe Rushton, and the thousands of other would-be Intelligence gurus who are inclined in their (totally in no way conservative:roll:) belief that I.Q. varies among people with different amounts of melanin. No... I.Q. doesn't fucking work that way. I.Q. should be (and can only be) judged individually. And even then, I.Q. isn't a sure indicator that super genusA is going to end up having a better life than complete moronB.

But anyway, I graduated with 1.8 GPA and got a 1200 SAT score. No need to say anything else..

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS