As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sharing an Internet Connection twice...

Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/themNorth Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
...is probably an inadequate way of describing what I need to do.

I have two Ethernet ports on my computer. One is connected to my broadband modem. The other is connected to my brother's laptop to allow him to use our Inter-global webulations (and occasionally it is connected to the 360 to allow me to partake of glorious Worms XBLA online play). But! I also have a USB Wifi Dongle which I was using for my Nintendo DS and PSP up until the second ethernet card was installed.

Now as you may be aware, Windows only allows you to share an Internet connection with one network, so I'm in a bit of a pickle - I need to allow both the USB Wifi dongle and the second ethernet card access to the Internet, but I can only allow one at a time and my computer complains if I try to change who gets to use the connection (plus, what if I want to play Tetris DS online while my brother is in the middle of a game of GRAW 2?). Bridging all three connections doesn't work, and in fact stops the Internet from working entirely.

So what I need is some kind of solution - preferably free, as I am broke - that will allow me to share the internet connection with both the USB wifi dongle and the second ethernet card.

Can anyone help?

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
Squirminator2k on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you need a router. you can find wired ones for like $20, wireless for like $30 if you look.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a router, which I no longer use as it intermittently turns the internet connection off, then on again. Most irritating, particularly when it happens during the middle of a game of Dawn of War.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So get a new one. Sounds like that one is a POS.

Zhou on