As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Worst computers of all time... or not.

ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129857-page,1-c,desktoppcs/article.html

Did anyone here see this list? I groaned through half of it... who in their right minds would ever consider the VIC-20 one of the worst computers ever made, especially considering that it produced such brilliant tech minds as Linus Torvalds and Nintendo's Satoru Iwata?

JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
ArugulaZ on

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129857-page,1-c,desktoppcs/article.html

Did anyone here see this list? I groaned through half of it... who in their right minds would ever consider the VIC-20 one of the worst computers ever made, especially considering that it produced such brilliant tech minds as Linus Torvalds and Nintendo's Satoru Iwata?

Those minds weren't a product of the Vic-20, they just happened to have used it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Heh... blast from the past, my first computer was the TI-99/4A (the improved version of the TI-99/4 listed as #6).

LockeCole on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hah, a 486SX-based Packard Bell was my first home computer.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glad to see eMachines made the list.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hah, a 486SX-based Packard Bell was my first home computer.

I just got to the end of the list, a Packard Bell 486 system was my familys 4th system I think. I had the TI, then an IBM 8086, then a 286, and finally the Packard Bell. Past that I started building my own systems.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My first computer was a Packard Bell. I believe it was an 8086. It ran motherfucking DOS 3.3. It was not good enough to run Windows 3.1, although I did noodle around in QBasic as early as I could read.

Yeah, it was friggin' awful, even for the time. The first computer I liked was my family's next computer: a no-name brand 486 that could actually run games more sophisticated than Zork.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My first PC was a PB from back in about 1997. 120mhz, 1gb hard drive, Windows 95. Quite fun excluding having to reinstall Windows every few weeks. X-Wing vs TIE Fighter was lovely on it.

Oh, and the 14" CRT could only cope with 800 x 600 at a refresh rate that didn't make your ears bleed. It was grim.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My first comptuer was a custom built one by a small company in my city in 1997, Pentium Pro with MMX 200MHz, 64MB ram, 4GB HDD(which had to be partitioned into two 2GB sections because this was just before FAT32 support), Windows 95, and an 8x CD-ROM. It was GLORIOUS. Aside from a dead mobo 6 months into it's life, It chugged on for 5 years, with a ram upgrade to 256MB, and win98se. It now rests in computer heavan, although I think I still have the processor somewhere in the house from when I took it apart.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My first computer was a Mac Plus. Then a Mac SE and then a IIci before my first PC, a 486DX2/66.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    RapscallionJonesRapscallionJones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My father bought an IBM PC XT with a monochrome monitor back in 1986. Most gaming had yet to break out of four colors at the time, but I was stuck with the green screen so I wound up playing nothing but Infocom games, but there's nothing wrong with that.

The first computer that I owned, personally, though, was built by a company in Orlando. I can't remember the specs, but back then it was pretty much a high end machine running NT 4 so I could run shit like Softimage and Maya. Around the same time I came into possession of an SGI O2. That shit was eye opening.

RapscallionJones on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh wow, my friend had (actually, still has) that exact same eMachine from that exact same promotion. That thing is as bad as it sounds. Doubly so because it came preloaded with Windows ME that was spammed to holy high hell. Dear fuck I remember the horrible and bizarre problems that thing kept on giving out. Freaky random poltergeist-infested switch ons and switch offs galore.

The greatest part was that the BIOS said the CPU clock speed was 666 MHz. I'm not even joking.

Zxerol on