As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    It's strange that the bigger game will be out on a Nintendo system but seemingly not the 'simpler' one. I wonder what exactly is the roadblock there.

If they're farming it out to a different team with fewer people, they may be using a middleware like Game Maker or MonoGame (only two possibilities, not seriously considered) that doesn't natively publish to the Wii U, whereas Sonic Team would be using their own engine in raw C++ that you could recompile for any hardware.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did they ever release the other Whitehead re-releases to non-mobile platforms? Like, there's Sonic CD but that's all I recall.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    They haven't, no. I was hoping they'd get round to doing Sonic 3 & Knuckles and then release them for current gen consoles as a physical release, but now we're getting Sonic Mania so they might not get round to doing Sonic 3 for a while, at least.

Oh, and as an aside, I know everyone always talks about Christian Whitehead, but Stealth, who helped with the mobile remakes for Sonic 1, CD, etc. is also working on Sonic Mania (he's Headcannon, whose logo appears in the Mania trailer), so that's another reason to be excited!

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Taxman and Stealth actually created a vertical slice for a retro engine version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but for undisclosed reasons SEGA wouldn't give them the go-ahead for another mobile port.

This bit of the interview behind the second link might partially explain it:
    Christian Whitehead: When I started Sonic CD, mobile games were handled within Sega of America, but in the last couple of years mobile at Sega has become its own dedicated division. So I think there’s definitely been a shift to cater directly to the mobile F2P casual market.

Frem on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Igort wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk

Shrug.

Not really much of anything. Generations 2, I guess?

Incidentally, I think we might be seeing only 2/3 of the story here, especially if the speculation of "three Eggmen" (per the three giant Death Egg Robot-ish robots) pans out...
    tumblr_o98a4xkgzr1rvey03o1_500.png

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Not a sequel? Like, it doesn't come after Lost World, or even Generations? So, what, is it a retelling? Are they pulling a Star Fox Zero on is?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    If it's not Generations 2 maybe they shouldn't have put out a trailer that looks exactly like a Generations 2 trailer.

• Options
    Igort wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk

Shrug.

Not really much of anything. Generations 2, I guess?

Incidentally, I think we might be seeing only 2/3 of the story here, especially if the speculation of "three Eggmen" (per the three giant Death Egg Robot-ish robots) pans out...
    tumblr_o98a4xkgzr1rvey03o1_500.png

Yeah, when I watched the trailer live I had that image in my head and was just waiting for Boom!Sonic to show up. I had completely forgotten Iizuka's "not a sequel" line though, but I guess what with Modern and Classic Sonic's together, Generations is still the closest through line there. I suppose if it's not a sequel to Generations, it will have all new levels instead of being made up of levels from other Sonic games.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Not a sequel? Like, it doesn't come after Lost World, or even Generations? So, what, is it a retelling? Are they pulling a Star Fox Zero on is?

I honestly think that line was meant to specifically soften the idea of it being Generations 2. It'll still be a Sonic game in the same universe, it just won't be Sonic [Whatever] 2.

A little part of me also wants to believe it was meant to crush the dreams of the "We Want Adventure 3" crowd.

• Options
    Yeah, basically saying it's not Generations 2 or Adventure 3, but will have its own hook. They said they wanted to do something unique.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Just make a 2.5D sidescroller where you go fast and do loops and shit... it's not that hard Team Sonic, come on. Stop trying "unique ideas" that end up terrible! Though, I do have a feeling that this new unique idea of merging different Sonic generations might pan out well. :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Yeah, basically saying it's not Generations 2 or Adventure 3, but will have its own hook. They said they wanted to do something unique.

It's Advance 4! \o/

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Sonic Generations technically isn't a sequel to Unleashed or Colors, but it pretty much is. Not just because it borrows stages from them, either. If they're working on another not-sequel in the same vein, we're probably fine.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    Sonic Generations technically isn't a sequel to Unleashed or Colors, but it pretty much is. Not just because it borrows stages from them, either. If they're working on another not-sequel in the same vein, we're probably fine.

Generations is totally a direct sequel to Colors. The end of colors leads directly to Eggman getting the thing he uses to make Generations happen.

• Options
    I think they may be operating under a different definition of what makes a sequel.

Which is fair enough; people want a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy 2, but many don't consider Super Mario 3D World to be it -- they want Super Mario Galaxy 3.

I think we're dealing with that kind of mentality here.

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Just popping in to share my futile attempt at not being at all excited about Sonic Mania. :p

Also, given its on the Retro engine, I'm *hoping* that it'll be coming to iOS also despite it not being mentioned in the announcement (or specifically the AppleTV. The classic Sonics *shine* on there!)

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    In other news: Sonic Runners is officially done.

I wanted to get one more play in, but I finally got the update to download yesterday -- the same day they pulled the plug. =P

I wish they'd at least waited til the end of the month, or even week -- or just made it a paid app.

• Options
    In other news: Sonic Runners is officially done.

I wanted to get one more play in, but I finally got the update to download yesterday -- the same day they pulled the plug. =P

I wish they'd at least waited til the end of the month, or even week -- or just made it a paid app.

Yeah, I hope they do something with Sonic Runners. Maybe the same thing Bandai-Namco did with Pac-Man 256, where they take all the free-to-play stuff out and put it on consoles? That'd be nice. Seems like a waste to just close the servers and move on.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    I enjoyed that.

• Options
    That video is really good.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    That really makes sense.

Also, might be exactly why we are getting these two games. Completely different angles, because that is the only way Sonic can survive.

• Options
    Completely different angles wouldn't even be a bad thing, if the games were consistently good. Mario gets mediocre games on occasion, but practically never titles that are just bad. Can you imagine a world in which Nintendo allows a game like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric to be both released and confused with a main series game?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Completely different angles wouldn't even be a bad thing, if the games were consistently good. Mario gets mediocre games on occasion, but practically never titles that are just bad. Can you imagine a world in which Nintendo allows a game like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric to be both released and confused with a main series game?

federation-force.jpg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

Well, you did say Mario gets mediocre games on occasion, so I'd say that is our reality.

• Options

Well, you did say Mario gets mediocre games on occasion, so I'd say that is our reality.

I said mediocre, not unpolished glitchy messes that shouldn't have passed QA.

• Options

Huh.

I found it to be kinda meh at its worst.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/insertcoin/files/2015/07/federation-force.jpg
    I don't think anyone is confusing that with a main series Metroid game.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I can only pray that this somehow leads to Taxman/Stealth having a growing share of a stake in the future of Sonic games.

• Options

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/insertcoin/files/2015/07/federation-force.jpg
    I don't think anyone is confusing that with a main series Metroid game.

Yeah.

Should have posted Other M, instead.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Not to mention, Metroid is already a niche. Given Sega's lineup, Federation Force is more like releasing a bad Jet Set Radio game (actually I think Federation Force looks fine, but I digress). Big fans would be very upset but it'll pass under the radar of general audiences as if nothing ever happened.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I also thought it was amusing that you have the color coded characters, just like Sonic.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Should have gone with these:

quartet.png

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I also thought it was amusing that you have the color coded characters, just like Sonic.

And Guns, the guy with two guns.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    cj2wxwqaz3sy.png
    0gekd6xq7phn.png

I just feel like you should all be tormented by this imagery as I was. Good day.

• Options
    I always saw Shinobi as SEGA's Metroid, in that they both felt like they skewed more towards a slightly older crowd than the Mario and Sonic/Alex Kidd groups, a little more mature feeling, but without being "mature" audience games.

• Options
    And they haven't had any new titles since 2010.

Well, 2011 in Shinobi's case.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    cj2wxwqaz3sy.png

I would SO play a game starring this Mario.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "it'sa me, gotta go fasta!"

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

this imo seems to be sonic's actual problem as there are a lot of those

when a sonic game comes out i kind of assume it's gonna be broken as hell and/or turn into an unplayable nightmare by the end

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
This discussion has been closed.