As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I played the Sonic level in Lego Dimensions recently.

I'm really starting to think that the best people to make a Sonic game are quite literally anybody but Sega. :)

But yeah, the music in it is weird. Damn near everything from Adventure on. And the most legally distinct versions of the Genesis tunes, it makes you wonder why they even bothered to begin with.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Sadly, LEGO Sonic is a mix of Crush 40 and "legally distinct" variations of the Genesis tunes.

wait, really? they got the sonic license and the voice cast, but couldn't use the music?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nothing before Adventure, at least.

The Green Hill one is sorta alright, enough to make you think it's a remix of some kind to fit the aesthetic, but the other Genesis tunes aren't so convincing.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Weirdly enough, while I thought the music in the base Sonic Generations was great, I thought the music in the 3DS version was overprocessed and annoying.

With the following exception:

https://youtu.be/vzbMIgkbCzo

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've thought for years that the best way to get a really great Sonic game would be to just give the damn thing to Nintendo.

Playing Lego Dimensions recently sort of reaffirmed the general idea that maybe the best people to make a Sonic game are literally anybody but Sega.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I've thought for years that the best way to get a really great Sonic game would be to just give the damn thing to Nintendo.

Playing Lego Dimensions recently sort of reaffirmed the general idea that maybe the best people to make a Sonic game are literally anybody but Sega.

See also: Sonic Mania.

Ah well, maybe Generations 2 will be good?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    We talkin' good music in Generations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J478vr1fbDc

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Sonic Generations is still very enjoyable. I think they missed some opportunities for DLC zones. But I would support more of Generations-esque gameplay. Fewer gimmicky characters and weird edgy stuff. Somewhat speedy platforming (coupled with memorization/multiple paths for speedrunning), good music, and smooth controls are what I'd hope for. Generations was helped by recognizable music and locales, but I basically only ever played Sonic from the Genesis era to Sonic Adventure and I enjoyed a bunch of zones from games I had never played.

So if they're just creating new levels and a new setup with the same basic mechanics, I am perfectly fine with that.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I think Sega makes great Sonic games when they set out to just make a damn Sonic game. Though some of their games like Colors were really good. Also enjoyed the day stages in unleashed.

The bigger problem is that they want to be a final fantasy or something and remake the wheel with every game when really I just want a prettier sonic 3 or better controlling/camera Sonic unleashed day stages.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Personally, I want refined Lost World wall running and spin dashing more than I want Unleashed day stages. But to each his own.

Also, more music because I feel like it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5fhgJrMWSxw

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular

That's odd. I thought the LEGO Dimensions Sonic level was trash, personally.

And given the output of recent SEGA Sonic stuff (Colours, Generations, Lost World) saying SEGA aren't the best people to make Sonic games seems a bit harsh.

• Options
    Sonic Generations is still very enjoyable. I think they missed some opportunities for DLC zones.

HUGE missed opportunity. I'd have bought those hand over fist.

Instead, it was ironically Unleashed and even '06 that got DLC instead.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So Jun Senoue of Sonic/Crush 40 music is going to be at Magfest this weekend and I will try to get Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 signed by him but I never had a video game signed before. Should it be on the jewel case, booklet or the actual CD?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    In general when I've had stuff signed by bands I always do the booklet.

CD you want to play and it will spin and rub off.

Jewel cases break all the time and you can take the booklet out and put anything in it and it's suddenly not the same CD case anymore!

Booklet lends itself to being framed/displayed.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Official Sonic Mania Switch trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ1SbHLXlH8

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that's the exact same trailer they've had kicking around for a few months now?

• Options
    It is but it adds the Switch logo at the end.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    And, you know, it's not like you need a reason to watch it again!

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    In general when I've had stuff signed by bands I always do the booklet.

CD you want to play and it will spin and rub off.

Jewel cases break all the time and you can take the booklet out and put anything in it and it's suddenly not the same CD case anymore!

Booklet lends itself to being framed/displayed.

Thanks for the tip! Most of the people in line did the same as well, opening up new cases just to take out the booklet from the inside. He was kind enough to sign both Adventures (his favorites) really quick and even posed for a picture!
    eudqlxxmr2zq.png

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh god oh god! I want this on my Switch YESTERDAY!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qI0RbThgfu8
    It seems so much like Sonic 3! No more bullshit purism, fire shields, level transitions, all the good stuff!

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    "Bullshit purism"?

Sorry, but I need that one explained, given the nature of the game.

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    "Bullshit purism"?

Sorry, but I need that one explained, given the nature of the game.

What I mean is that aspect that always seems to pop up when corporations touch their beloved classics, things like "everything has to work like Mega Man 2" or "everything has to be like it was in Super Mario Bros 3". Similarly to how New SMB games have sloooooowly taken steps to get a liiiiiittle closer to what we had with Super Mario World, but even after 5 instances it still wasn't quiiiite there. Or more fittingly, how Sonic 4 had to go "this game has Sonic and Sonic only" and then didn't even succeed in that single aspect.
    So I'm glad that for once we aren't taking three steps back because developers don't understand their own gameplay-features, but instead the game gets tied neatly to where the gameplay was at its best.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So Sonic 2017 is now Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania was delayed to summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klaZUqDW_JE

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Off screen Sonic Forces footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYvQQPdNHic

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    It looks like Colors

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    It looks like Colors

People liked colors, right? I always meant to pick it up but never got around to it.

I'm trying to decide whether to let my hype engines rev up a bit or keep them quelled (as is the usual for Sonic games and me these days).

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Hrm. And we're back to the boost switch style. RIP, three-speed Parkour system. Your death was untimely.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    It looks like Colors

People liked colors, right? I always meant to pick it up but never got around to it.

I'm trying to decide whether to let my hype engines rev up a bit or keep them quelled (as is the usual for Sonic games and me these days).

We're in a unique time where there are multiple Sonic games in the works, and they're both probably going to turn out to be good. Mania has hardcore Genesis fans developing it. Forces looks like it's iterating on the best modern Sonic games we've had so far. Worst case scenario, they're both only "decent." Terrible is off the table. Hype engines full speed ahead!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Hrm. And we're back to the boost switch style. RIP, three-speed Parkour system. Your death was untimely.

I feel we're in a minority that liked Lost World, but yeah, while I am very happy we're getting another 'Modern' game, Lost World deserved a sequel to iron out the problems. If only Boom had been a follow up to that, use the same hyper stylised art and iterate on LW's controls, we could have had a really great Wii U series of Sonic games...

All that aside, I adore the rollercoaster ride that is the 'Modern' game, so getting more of that is the best possible outcome for me! Plus they got a chance to refine Classic Sonic's controls, make him feel more authentic.

And presumably we're gonna be seeing a coherent story and world, rather than the Greatest Hits format of Generations. That it looks inspired by the ol' comics and cartoon era of the mid 90's is pretty enticing, and the recent games and Sonic Boom TV show have proven they know how to write a fun narrative.

Basically I am excited. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The official Sonic twitter went out of its way to say "see footage of Modern Sonic tomorrow," which suggests we're getting another Generations-style game with Sonic Boom thrown in.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just my personal tastes, but Mania looks like a lot more fun.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zm0FvEn5CU

Here's the footage. Game Informer also have some impressions from longer footage they saw behind closed doors.
    The Modern Sonic mechanics in Sonic Forces are inspired heavily by the 3D gameplay found in Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, featuring a new version of the Hedgehog Engine used in those games. As seen in the teaser, Sonic runs through the streets while the city crumbles around him. As he turns a corner, two giant egg-shaped robots can be seen in the distance approaching the city via water. Sonic can't immediately do anything about those giant machines, so he opts to take care of the smaller bots right in front of him. He boosts through the first set before using his homing attack to knock out another group and reach a higher platform.

Throughout the rest of the stage, I see several familiar elements from the Sonic series, including grind-rails, ziplines, and boosters. As the level progresses, side-characters like Knuckles, Amy, and some members of the Chaotix communicate with Sonic via radio as if to report in on what they're seeing during the assault. Sega tells us that though these characters are present in the game, they are not playable. Instead, gameplay is focused on Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, and a third style that Sonic Team is keeping close to its chest.

In Sonic Forces, Eggman has already conquered the world. He's won, and the effects can be seen throughout the various stages; this was immediately evident in the stage I saw. We don't know how the world has fallen under his control, but Sega is teasing further reveals for this in the lead-up to launch.

Later in the stage, Sonic lands on a platform and the camera shifts to a side-perspective to deliver the modern gameplay with a side-scrolling twist that we've seen in prior games. Though this gives the sequence a definite retro feel, this gameplay is completely separate from the as-of-yet unveiled Classic Sonic stages.

Bolded some bits for emphasis. Really pumped for this game. This and Sonic Mania in the same year? It's just... too good to be true.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Throughout the rest of the stage, I see several familiar elements from the Sonic series, including grind-rails, ziplines, and boosters. As the level progresses, side-characters like Knuckles, Amy, and some members of the Chaotix communicate with Sonic via radio as if to report in on what they're seeing during the assault. Sega tells us that though these characters are present in the game, they are not playable. Instead, gameplay is focused on Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, and a third style that Sonic Team is keeping close to its chest.

Always a bummer seeing this. We got a bunch of playable characters in Sonic Adventure and Advance but now a days they tend to realize people don't want to play as other characters and only Sonic due to their lack luster iterations in Adventure games. (Knuckles treasure hunt, Bigs Fishing). But if they just made their gameplay like Sonics with their own unique quirks then people would love the shit outta that. It was great seeing that with Tails in the first Adventure (Racing aside), why stick him in a robot where he can't fly when his only quik is flying?

Sonic Mania gets it though. Wished Amy was in there as well but since this is Classic(?) era I guess it make sense for her not to be included.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh god I hope his ground movement isn't as floaty as it looks like it is. He also "skates" for some distance along the ground as he starts to speed up, it looks terrible.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Instead, gameplay is focused on Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, and a third style that Sonic Team is keeping close to its chest.

...gonna go ahead and assume that's Boom, but cleaned up and playing more like Adventure, to sort of split the difference.

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.