Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PA Comic] Monday, February 18, 2013 - The Corollary

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited February 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
«1

Posts

  • DirewolfDirewolf Registered User regular
    +1 Friendly

    Spoiler:
    League of Legends: Brok3nGol3m
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo HAPPY WAALUWEEN Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    Reaction to first panel was "No, don't play Karma!"

    Bobkins Flymo on
    eG9gdum.gif
    Platypus BeirutDarkewolfeAlbino BunnyfacetiousThe Good Doctor TranDirewolfAegeriMaddoc
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    I can appreciate this comic. :^:

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
    QuidKoopahTroopahfacetiousKaplar
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Thought this was some kind of reddit comic.

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Bobble
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    I like this comic. Makes me wish more game companies went to the lengths Riot does.

    PSN: allenquid
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Took me until the third panel to get what was going on in the first two, but it was so worth it.

    steam_sig.png
  • PhantoomPhantoom Registered User regular
    Let's play a game called "explain this strip to non LOLers"...

  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Phantoom wrote: »
    Let's play a game called "explain this strip to non LOLers"...

    LoL has an honor system where you essentially rate someone's positive contribution to the game. I believe right now it only earns people badges and lets people see how "honorable" you are too.

    Edit: The actual page http://na.leagueoflegends.com/honor

    Quid on
    PSN: allenquid
  • InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    It's more like: League of Legends has begun to take steps to crack down on poor behavior in the community through various methods, and that being a total dickwad can actually get you kicked out of the game. So, you gotta be nice to your random internet peeps, even if they keep feeding the damn wukong.

    PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    Gabe's face in panel 2 is excellent. Mr. Burns level excellent.

  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    If the second panel didn't have any text in it at all, it would create quite a different picture.

    eddizhereThe Scottish UnicornKaplarShadowen
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I had a hard time getting this comic at first because I thought Tycho was trying to convince him to play Karma.

    The Sneak! on
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Even with the two explanations above, I don't get this comic. I don't think its the comics fault though, I just have no experience with the game, so I don't understand the last panel.

    steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The joke is that being nice enough to chat "GLHF" (good luck, have fun) as a pleasantry to other players before a match requires a physically painful, almost Herculean effort for Gabe because he is used to being an unrepentant asshole.

    1Slimus.jpg
    TofystedethEl GuacoLord_Asmodeus
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Ha! Okay, thanks.

    steam_sig.png
    Bill_Peschel
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Asharad wrote: »
    Even with the two explanations above, I don't get this comic. I don't think its the comics fault though, I just have no experience with the game, so I don't understand the last panel.
    You know the little Awesome and Agree buttons on this forum? Imagine if there were also Stupid or Bad Person buttons, and if they got clicked too much you could potentially get infractions or even banned. Now imagine comic Gabe as a forum user. How long do you think he'd last under that system?

    Hevach on
    CambiataA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • PMAversPMAvers You wouldn't have heard of it, anyway...Registered User regular
    He's playing Wukong, though.

    His actions will be of greater assholishness than any of his words.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU!
    facetious
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    He should have been playing Morde ;)

    I haven't played LoL in over a year precisely because of the rage it induces. I completely understand Gabe's feelings here.

    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    Currently playing: Diablo 3, Pokemon X, 999
    Smoogy#1689
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I quit playing LoL because the game itself was getting me pissed off whenever we lost, even if nobody was being a dick. It's just too much of an emotional investment.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Albino Bunny (how the fuck do you @ people with spaces in their names?) got me playing Awesomenauts, which is an easier-mode MOBA with less rage inducement so far.

    I still miss LoL, but I think my blood pressure is down.

    Darkewolfe on
    "Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    not shown, the next line in reply:
    "lol u fagit"

    steam_sig.png
    Steam: Megajoule
    KaplarSorceBill_PeschelLord_Asmodeus
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Albino Bunny (how the fuck do you @ people with spaces in their names?)

    You have to put their whole name inside quotation marks. Quote this post to see what I mean.

    @Albino Bunny

    Gaslight on
    1Slimus.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny The Quick Brown Fox Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Albino Bunny (how the fuck do you @ people with spaces in their names?) got me playing Awesomenauts, which is an easier-mode MOBA with less rage inducement so far.

    I still miss LoL, but I think my blood pressure is down.

    Glad those Gnaw players are really relaxing you :3

    Awesomenauts is actually surprisingly good community wise. Worse you get is taunt spam and the best you get is taunt spam. Because Taunt spam is the correct response to taunt spam.

    Also yeah, it's shocking how much people changed in League because someone gave them the chance of shineys for not being ass holes.

  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    Riot has also done an admirable job of keeping and sharing statistics on this program. Games that have even one "Good Teamwork" or "Friendly" badge holder are 70% less likely to have a negative report occur during the game, and teams that don't have a report are something like 20% more likely to win (adjusted for ELO).

    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Albino Bunny (how the fuck do you @ people with spaces in their names?) got me playing Awesomenauts, which is an easier-mode MOBA with less rage inducement so far.

    I still miss LoL, but I think my blood pressure is down.

    Glad those Gnaw players are really relaxing you :3

    Awesomenauts is actually surprisingly good community wise. Worse you get is taunt spam and the best you get is taunt spam. Because Taunt spam is the correct response to taunt spam.

    Also yeah, it's shocking how much people changed in League because someone gave them the chance of shineys for not being ass holes.

    Maybe it's the shorter games, maybe it's people talking less, maybe it's that people drop in and out, but even getting wrecked by a cheesy Gnaw is still more relaxing than being told to go play in the street by my jungle who missed his gank because I missed my skillshot.

    "Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."
  • kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Riot has also done an admirable job of keeping and sharing statistics on this program. Games that have even one "Good Teamwork" or "Friendly" badge holder are 70% less likely to have a negative report occur during the game, and teams that don't have a report are something like 20% more likely to win (adjusted for ELO).

    I certainly hope Riot sells it that way, because it gives people a pragmatic reason not to be jackasses, but I think causation there may run the other way - I think if a team is losing, its members are more likely to flip out and do things that get them reported than if they're winning. Adjusting for ELO would suggest that two evenly matched teams playing each other, the team that loses is likelier to do something reportable. Which just means people are poor sports.

    I'd actually be more interested to see if higher ELO matches have fewer reports period, which would suggest that better players are also more courteous. Or thicker skinned?

    kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • ragnarok628ragnarok628 Registered User regular
    I have a neighbor who is one of the designers on Magic: The Gathering, another person with whom I have interesting conversations, and he explained why many gaming enthusiasts have a hard time with Poker with the phase “Gamers gonna game.”

    i'm curious about the news post... after a few tries, i the best parsing i could come up with for the above sentence is that the phrase 'gamers gonna game' is meant to be explanatory of a supposed aversion or difficulty that gamers have to the game of poker? is he saying that gamers not like poker, or that we are we just not good at it? and if that is what he's saying, how does 'gamers gonna game' explain why? i'm confused. someone help.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Its related to the phrase "haters gonna hate"

  • kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Its related to the phrase "haters gonna hate"

    Yes, but what does it mean in context?

    fwKS7.png?1
  • ragnarok628ragnarok628 Registered User regular
    right, because poker is a game, so why does 'gamers gonna game' mean gaming enthusiasts have a hard time with poker? unless 'have a hard time with' means 'get addicted to and lose money'? is that a possible way to understand this?

  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Yeah, his writing leads something to be desired in the whole "clarity to get your point across" department, as readability is lost in his effort to be clever. I don't get what he's trying to do here either.

    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    Currently playing: Diablo 3, Pokemon X, 999
    Smoogy#1689
    CambiataIncindium
  • ragnarok628ragnarok628 Registered User regular
    i'm sure there is a meaningful Thing in there somewhere. Is gamers Vs. Poker any kind of a thing that the rest of you are aware of? i'd never heard of any controversy or correlation on the subject.

  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Old but probably explains it:

    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/af21

    Poker is a relatively straight forward, simple game. Which doesn't mean it's easy, but it does mean that if you like figuring out and exploiting systems Magic probably has a much larger appeal since their system changes every few months.

    PSN: allenquid
  • CambiataCambiata Social Justice Rogue Registered User regular
    I think the seed of the solution to what he means by "Gamers gonna game" is embedded in the sentence that comes after that phrase: " It means a lot of different things, but among this panoply is the obsessive, deeply trained awareness of systems."

    I think perhaps by "poker", Tycho meant "gambling." Gamblers often believe there is a 'system" involved when dealing with strict statistics. "I have lost X many times, so I must be up for a win" that sort of thing. Thus you might have a problem with gambling if you are trying to exploit a system that doesn't actually exist.

    (this is just a guess as to what he meant)

    -Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Wishlist
  • ragnarok628ragnarok628 Registered User regular
    yup, that about clears it up. i guess i should have engaged in some google-fu before bothering you folks about it!

  • Panda LikerPanda Liker Registered User regular
    I have a neighbor who is one of the designers on Magic: The Gathering, another person with whom I have interesting conversations, and he explained why many gaming enthusiasts have a hard time with Poker with the phase “Gamers gonna game.”

    i'm curious about the news post... after a few tries, i the best parsing i could come up with for the above sentence is that the phrase 'gamers gonna game' is meant to be explanatory of a supposed aversion or difficulty that gamers have to the game of poker? is he saying that gamers not like poker, or that we are we just not good at it? and if that is what he's saying, how does 'gamers gonna game' explain why? i'm confused. someone help.
    It means a lot of different things, but among this panoply is the obsessive, deeply trained awareness of systems.

    Adding that at the end, I get something along the lines of gamers trying to 'game' the system - ie, find flaws and use it to their benefit. Like, there's not a lot of flaws in Poker?

    Dammit, I was so confident I knew what it meant.


  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I think it has to do with "gaming the system". I would imagine that gamers probably are less likely to enjoy poker, a very simple game whose main appeal seems to come from the psychological aspects and the risk/reward of it all. Since I've gotten into more in-depth board games and strategy games, I have a hard time enjoying games like Monopoly, which are more about the social experience and nostalgia than about playing a balanced or carefully crafted game.

    In this context, I think he's saying, "just as a gamer will deconstruct Poker until there's nothing enjoyable left, eventually the Karma system is going to get 'gamed' and exploited until it's another type of stat instead of a social consequence." Either that, or he's saying, "just as gamers are innately interested in the mechanics of systems, to the point where poker holds no appeal, a karma system will hold more clout if it has in-game consequences attached." Two different points, but following the same basic premise.

    Ah, to know the mind of Tycho...

    Cambiata
  • achamiusachamius Registered User new member
    Hmm, I found this strip a bit confusing because I thought Gabe's body language in the first panel implied he was trying to avoid typing something abusive, having to physically restrain himself from going through with old habits. Might have found it more amusing if last panel had a mixed message of positive and negative, with Tycho saying something to the effect of "well, that's not a bad start". I was just a bit thrown because usually Krahulik nails body posture (IMHO).

  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    I think it has to do with "gaming the system". I would imagine that gamers probably are less likely to enjoy poker, a very simple game whose main appeal seems to come from the psychological aspects and the risk/reward of it all. Since I've gotten into more in-depth board games and strategy games, I have a hard time enjoying games like Monopoly, which are more about the social experience and nostalgia than about playing a balanced or carefully crafted game.

    In this context, I think he's saying, "just as a gamer will deconstruct Poker until there's nothing enjoyable left, eventually the Karma system is going to get 'gamed' and exploited until it's another type of stat instead of a social consequence." Either that, or he's saying, "just as gamers are innately interested in the mechanics of systems, to the point where poker holds no appeal, a karma system will hold more clout if it has in-game consequences attached." Two different points, but following the same basic premise.

    Ah, to know the mind of Tycho...

    No, the goal of monopoly is to steal from the bank and take money from people with less.

    It's an ironic take of capitalism. And it amuses me to no end that it was banned in Russia because they thought it was a pro capitalistic game.

  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Nah.

    They banned it because it's God fucking awful.

    PSN: allenquid
    furlionPMAversA Dabble Of TheloniusCambiataRatherDashing89theResetButtonDelzhandZilla360
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.