As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sim City] Why no discussion about Sim City? PC only unfortunately.

mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book AuthorRegistered User regular
edited February 2013 in Games and Technology
SimCity-gpd-logo.png?cb=1355335682

Is no one excited about the new upcoming Sim City game? I know EA, boo, hiss, whatever, but I really, really enjoyed the beta.

Okay, way too many commas today.

There was also a really awesome livestream video interviewing the devs and even a special feature with Will Wright interviewing the creative director.

Here's the linkage for you:

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/Image/FullImageLogo/SimCity-gpd-logo.png?cb=1355335682

Now there are some drawbacks any old fans should be aware of:

1.) City size is significantly smaller, which will be discussed in the linked video above. This was done to make the simulation more rich and enjoyable at the sacrifice of map size.

2.) You can't zone on grids anymore, all buildings are built on roads. This means that, due to your civil engineering skills. There may be some empty lands or lot's near your houses, but hey! You can still plop down trees to make it pretty.

3.) There's wind and you need to be really careful where you place your industry. If you make the factories blow over your residential area, your sims will get sick and become very unhappy.

NOW FOR THE AWESOME STUFF!

1.) Regional City play. Don't want to make industry in your beautiful beach town? Don't zone any industrial! Let your Sims commute to your friends city where they can work!

2.) Want to be the guy who provides his neighbors with fire protection? Build a fire HQ and rent out your firetrucks to your friends. When I say friends, I mean that Sim City is Online ALL THE TIME. I know this may look like a negative, but it really allows you to build a community with your friends.

3.) Remember how annoying it was to build water pipes in older Sim Cities? NOT ANYMORE! All water and power is connected to roads and you can see the power and water actually flow to the houses of your sims.

4.) Buildings can be upgraded! Remember when you had to build like 100 schools and 100 police departments just to get coverage for your city? Now you can build maybe 2 or 3 of each and UPGRADE them to increase capacity and coverage with visual upgrades. Very cool.

5.) Finally, curved roads, circular roads, freeform roads. Finally, Sim City can create curvy roads to make your city wind down beaches, create a radial downtown center, and easily make grids for your residential, commercial, and industrial zones.

So, anyone want to talk about it? I can't believe I'm this excited over a Sim City game, really.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
masterthehero on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    We already have a SimCity thread over here.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.