As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tomb Raider] something, something, exclusive, it's coming out first on xbone, deal.

BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Games and Technology
CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
BritishDavid on

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think there was but if so it probably got buried.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    If there is, it's long forgotten. I say go for it!

I'm looking forward to the new Tomb Raider, but I gotta say... I'm really f'n tired of companies tacking on a multiplayer mode onto every single franchise ever. Game devs need to learn that their game is not going to be the next Call of Duty. You know what's going to be the next Call of Duty? The next Call of Duty.

Anyway, gonna raid me some tombs.

• BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    So I'm really excited for the game, I say this as somebody that finished tomb raider 2 and 3 and then not played another one until legend, which I don't remember at all. I like any game with a focus on story, I'm hoping to get some 360 players in for multiplayer? Whose with me!?

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    This is the first Tomb Raider I'll ever play.

Well...outside of the TR2 demo that came in a game magazine during the PS1 games.

Looking forward to it.

• BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    The question is why are we looking forward to it, it's from the same developers that made 3 mediocre games right? I like the lost/Bermuda triangle feel of the island, and the cut scenes sure are pretty!

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I've never been a huge fan of Tomb Raider - my preferred puzzle solving games aren't ones that mix in platforming + platforming-based exploration, plus mediocre combat. This new game doesn't look too fantastic either - it just seems like more of the same but this time with a lot of cover shooting added in. When it was first revealed it seemed like they wanted to do some kind of interesting story about survival and vulnerability but eventually it became clear that they just want to make a boring old murder simulator with some puzzles and platforming mixed in. You'll get me on the hook with your interesting narrative when your protagonist is something other than a horrible killer, video games.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Is there a thread for the new tomb raider releasing in less than 2 weeks? If not ill spin this into one... I did use the handy search feature but couldn't find one....

The most recent previous attempt at a Tomb Raider thread is here.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the new Tomb Raider, but I gotta say... I'm really f'n tired of companies tacking on a multiplayer mode onto every single franchise ever. Game devs need to learn that their game is not going to be the next Call of Duty. You know what's going to be the next Call of Duty? The next Call of Duty.

Yeah, I usually have neither the time nor patience for multiplayer these days, but hope springs eternal that lightning will strike twice and another of these "wait, multiplayer, really?" games will have a multiplayer component as fun as Mass Effect 3 did.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    I will be on PC, but I doubt I will even give the Multi a look in unless I hear from others that it is amazing.
    Looking forward to the single player.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    The question is why are we looking forward to it, it's from the same developers that made 3 mediocre games right? I like the lost/Bermuda triangle feel of the island, and the cut scenes sure are pretty!

While I haven't played them myself, I've actually heard pretty decent things about the last few TR games.

I think the reboot has more to do with trying to renew interest in the Tomb Raider franchise altogether if anything.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait this isn't a 3d metroidvania Because that's what I heard it was going to be

Was I lied to

I'm not really sure what to call it.

From all the videos I've seen so far it looks like Uncharted but with a bit more free-roaming to it.

Except Uncharted is basically Tomb Raider with less free roaming, so... this is basically a Tomb Raider game...

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Legend and Anniversary were fantastic, Underworld was a disappointment but not bad

So whoever said mediocre was dead wrong, and I generally trust Crystal Dynamics

Also this is literally my most anticipated game ever

edited February 2013
    Whatever. Who cares.

Just trying to get the guy a general idea since he asked about it.

Dragkonias on
    I've never been a huge fan of Tomb Raider - my preferred puzzle solving games aren't ones that mix in platforming + platforming-based exploration, plus mediocre combat. This new game doesn't look too fantastic either - it just seems like more of the same but this time with a lot of cover shooting added in. When it was first revealed it seemed like they wanted to do some kind of interesting story about survival and vulnerability but eventually it became clear that they just want to make a boring old murder simulator with some puzzles and platforming mixed in. You'll get me on the hook with your interesting narrative when your protagonist is something other than a horrible killer, video games.

Maybe it's both

Maybe the game is a gradual curve toward her slowly becoming a killer

That's what all the trailers so far would indicate, and there's no real way to make a sequel without that concession

I mean it would be a bummer if they squander the good story opportunity

But as long as it's fun to play, I probably wouldn't give much of a shit

Basically the way I feel about Far Cry 3, and that was my favorite game of last year

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I preordered this with some Steam bucks over Xmas, so I hope it's fun, but to be honest I figure it's gonna be an Uncharted a like - a one off play of a cool movie.

Oh brilliant
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm hearing some mixed reactions from the media people I know. Seems like the game is incredible at times, but also hampered by some bad design decisions.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I mean it would be a bummer if they squander the good story opportunity

But as long as it's fun to play, I probably wouldn't give much of a shit

Basically the way I feel about Far Cry 3, and that was my favorite game of last year

Farcry 3. The game where learning to survive meant unlimited access to automatic weapons and flamethrowers.

Yeah, I'd be down if that's the route they took with Tomb-Raider. EG: You're 'surviving' but really it's a frame work for fun gameplay but if you MUST be in for the narrative/survival challenge you can just use the bow/scavenged weapons/whatever limitation you want to put yourself under.

Ranger difficulty in Metro:2033 is still the best example of this. It wasn't 'harder' it was just the role playing difficulty where both you and other human foes took mere bullets to take down, ammo was much scarcer and those beasts in the dark were fucking terrifying bullet sponges howling at you.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I'm hearing some mixed reactions from the media people I know. Seems like the game is incredible at times, but also hampered by some bad design decisions.
    So, it's a Tomb Raider game.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    About that, I've not seen much in the way of raiding tombs in the trailers at all.

The puzzle solving appears to have a "push this button to reveal all!" mechanic to it that goes above and beyond Uncharted's hint book, too.

Oh brilliant
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    About that, I've not seen much in the way of raiding tombs in the trailers at all.

The puzzle solving appears to have a "push this button to reveal all!" mechanic to it that goes above and beyond Uncharted's hint book, too.

http://youtu.be/oNqHBk9FtZM

(Tombs at 1:07)

There are at least a few tombs in the game, they seem to be side stuff that you go and find on your own and explore to find new materials and such.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I actually really dig how the combat looks a bit more mobile than the average cover shooter in that video.

Maybe it's both

Maybe the game is a gradual curve toward her slowly becoming a killer

That's what all the trailers so far would indicate, and there's no real way to make a sequel without that concession
    Yeah, well, whether it's a gradual curve towards stabbing dudes in the eye with an arrow because it's rad as fuck or whether she makes it there 2 hours in and the rest of the game is stabbing dudes in the eye with an arrow because it's rad as fuck, I don't care. The chances of a video game having an interesting story about violence are about zero and I don't trust Tomb Raider to be the latest one to do it.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Played this at Eurogamer last September (was an opening sequence I think for about twenty minutes) and enjoyed it a lot. The controls do feel very Uncharted but the quest types etc are quite open. You get a little camp and get to do crafting and things, and there's animals to hunt etc. Completely different direction for the game and I can't think of much to compare it to which must be a good thing (Far Cry 3 maybe?). Also looked pretty great even on the 360.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    The chances of a video game having an interesting story about violence are about zero
    Metal Gear Rising was pretty well done.

edited February 2013
    I said "about" zero. I trust Hideo Kojima and his company to do interesting stuff. The Tomb Raider devs? Not so much, between the stories they've churned out in the past and the way they've talked about this game.

TychoCelchuuu on
    Well. You may be right(I mean you probably are) but I mean we can't say much for sure until the game comes out.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I really hope this is good and the obscenely creepy fuck ups that the PR had last year were just that: Fuck ups.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Yes, well, that's the price we pay for not having time machines or precognitive pyschic powers (as in Minority Report). I've learned to live with it but it was a struggle for a while.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I would not be at all disappointed if this game were nothing more than "Uncharted: The Girl Edition" since Uncharted are pretty much my favorite video games ever.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    A lot of people seem to be complaining about how this isn't like the Tomb Raider they used to know, but it's not like the older games were the top of subtlety and sophistication, or even digital archeology. "Uncharted 4 starring Lara Croft with a bit of a horror bent" sounds a whole heck of a lot better than the last couple of "eh, s'alright I guess" Tomb Raider games that were actually a lot more linear than NeoGAF seems to be collectively misremembering.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Also, apparently, the review embargo is dropping way earlier than the now standard"several hours after the game is out," so we'll actually get to read reviews before jumping on the Steam pre-order goodies/deciding not to buy it.

Darlan on
    Yeah. Why its the first Tomb Raider I've been interested in.

Take this with a huge grain of salt because I don't own a Playstation 3 and thus have never played the Uncharted games, and I'm also not a big player of the Tomb Raider games, but my impression is that Uncharted is just Tomb Raider + guns + more/crazier setpieces, so I'm having trouble figuring out why people are saying that this is more like Uncharted than the past Tomb Raider games when instead the easer option would just be to say that they added cover shooting and even more nonlinearity.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I can't believe I just watch a feature video that touted that ability to shoot exploding barrels to take out multiple opponents.

Take this with a huge grain of salt because I don't own a Playstation 3 and thus have never played the Uncharted games, and I'm also not a big player of the Tomb Raider games, but my impression is that Uncharted is just Tomb Raider + guns + more/crazier setpieces, so I'm having trouble figuring out why people are saying that this is more like Uncharted than the past Tomb Raider games when instead the easer option would just be to say that they added cover shooting and even more nonlinearity.

I'm thinking probably because Uncharted is just the more popular series at the moment.

So more people are probably going to get comparisons to it rather than the former, even if it was itself influenced by the former.

• 101101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yeah that raised an eyebrow.

It's been standard since, what, at least 2000? Seems so odd for it to be pointed out specifically

e: scratch that, it's gotta be even before then

101 on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I'm thinking probably because Uncharted is just the more popular series at the moment.

So more people are probably going to get comparisons to it rather than the former, even if it was itself influenced by the former.
    It's more than that. Uncharted and this new Tomb Raider have a lot more commonalities in combat style and narrative/gameplay balance than they do with the old Tomb Raiders. Judging form the preview materials, we seem to be trading out shitty combat, an emphasis on awkwardly implemented puzzles, and some atmospheric pacing downtime for better combat, a narrative that intrudes into the gameplay more than it used to but is assuredly better than the previous entires, and a darker, more scary tone.

And maybe this new Tomb Raider also has some of that old atmospheric downtime, I'm just assuming it has Uncharted-like action/Hollywood action movie pacing based on what they've shown. I'm reminded a bit of the backlash from the J.J. Abrams Star Trek, and the way it could be said to be closer to Star Wars than classic Star Trek: perhaps there is a degree of thoughtfulness being lost, but *man alive* those last few Star Trek movies were so much shittier.

Darlan on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I can't believe I just watch a feature video that touted that ability to shoot exploding barrels to take out multiple opponents.

i didnt realise this was possible

have i been playing doom wrong

obF2Wuw.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    What's the time period of this game? I would love if the game pulled a New Vegas and had Indy's hat lying around.