As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Craigslist Scam? - Apartment Hunting edition

DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
Hey all, I'm still new-ish to Craigslist and I had emailed a few folks regarding apartments. Well I actually got a reply and was wondering if this looked sketchy to anyone...

I must confess that I am very very new in this landlord business..However, My name is (Redacted) ,I own the house located at (redacted).Due to my job as (redacted) I spent less time in the States so I could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when I knew how long we are going to stay in (redacted) that I decided to rent out the house and i will be here for (4 years).. How ever,the initial plan was to sale out the Home.which I tried, but some times the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell i am telling you this in case if you find the house on another website,that is the old advert. because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take of it as if it were yours. Air Conditioner Dishwasher Walk-in Closet Refrigerator Vaulted Ceilings Washer/Dryer Cable etc...

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
Full Name__________________________
Home Phone ( )________________________
Cell Phone ( ) ___________________
Date of Birth_________________________
Current Address_______________________
City____________State______ Zip______
Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $________
Are you married_______________________
How many people will be living in the house___________
Do you smoke____________
Do you have a pet___________________________
Do you have a car___________________________
Occupation____________________ ________
Move In Date__________________________ __
How soon can you make the payment_____________
How soon do you want to receive the keys and the document______
Application Comment
============================== =======Please make sure this questions are fill correctly because the best way you answer with your comment will impress me the more to accept your applications.I know you would want to see the house before making any kind of rental payment , which is understandable.We can make arrangement for the keys and documentation including an Authorization letter to be shipped to you,this will give you the opportunity to view house.

It kind of seems legit to me, but am I being gullible here? Wanted to ask you guys before I replied back with some information like my Birth Date. It seems too good to be true, which is why I'm being careful here (its a very good price for the city, going to check out the neighborhood now, since I'm still newish here and not 100% sure how the neighborhood is yet).

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon

• Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    When in doubt, copy/paste a snippet of the email you are worried is a scam into google. The first line of this one brought up a bunch of results confirming that it is indeed a scam.

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=43567
    http://www.reiclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=45197.5;wap2
    http://blog.perfectspace.com/2008/09/09/nigerian-scam-rentals-on-craigslist/

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Rule #1 of Craigslist: If it looks even vaguely like a scam, it's a scam.

This particular one will likely result in your "Landlord" requiring an up front payment before he can send you a key or authorization letter for a home s/he doesn't actually own.
    I'd recommend not sending any information until you can meat the landlord and view the location.

See the following: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
    In particular:
    DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN - in all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent and that cheap item does not exist.
    DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT CHECKS OR BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR A JOB OR FOR HOUSING UNTIL YOU HAVE MET THE INTERVIEWER OR LANDLORD/AGENT IN PERSON.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Due to my job as (redacted) I spent less time in the States so I could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when I knew how long we are going to stay in (redacted) that I decided to rent out the house and i will be here for (4 years).. How ever,the initial plan was to sale out the Home.which I tried, but some times the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell i am telling you this in case if you find the house on another website,that is the old advert.

This bit here looks really sketchy to me. Not saying the dude is definitely running a scam, but this is throwing up red flags, especially where he says you might find the house on another website for sale.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Nope. that's a scam.

You don't give your info to someone who isn't going to meet you in person and show you the house first

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    among the things you should keep a secret, your name, social security number, and zip code are among the most important.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Scam.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    If there is anything that ever makes you go "Is this a scam?", avoid it. Cause its a scam.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, as stated...
    A) If you have to ask if it's a scam and it's on Craigslist, it's almost definitely a scam.
    B) If it asks you to do something sight unseen (especially if the person is saying THEY don't need to see YOU and/or lives in a different country), it's even more likely to be a scam.
    C) If you're still not sure, google a distinct (sketchy) portion of the offer. If you find the same text elsewhere, it's definitely a scam.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    "I'm out of the country now due to my job and I initially tried to sell through a realtor" is pretty much archetypal Craigslist scam boilerplate.

• Options
    Welp, thanks guys. I'm gullible I guess. Don't have much experience with Craigslist cause im weary of shit like this.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Welp, thanks guys. I'm gullible I guess. Don't have much experience with Craigslist cause im weary of shit like this.

The fact that you had to check whether it was a scam or not suggests you're not that gullible.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If it involves money orders, then it is a scam.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2013
    Avoid anything that involves the words Western Union Money Transfer like the plague. While this letter didn't (yet) I'm 100% sure that's how they would have asked for payment.

Tube on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Massive scam, craigslist is littered with it. No landlord would ever do anything like that.

This is a common rental scam where they just find listings online and then list them on craigslist themselves as if they're the actual owners/renters. The hilarious grammar and spelling is also a generally good indicator.

When looking for a place on craigslist you should ALWAYS have a contact number and be able to easily meet with a real landlord in person at the location, with actual keys to access the property etc. Sometimes they will meet you there but have some excuse like they forgot the keys but it's totally the place and you can look around outside and hey please give me a check to put a deposit on it.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Avoid anything that involves the words Western Union Money Transfer like the plague. While this letter didn't (yet) I'm 100% sure that's how they would have asked for payment.

Having worked as someone who processed Western Union and seen this happen first hand, I'm very weary of anything like that. (worked in a grocery store up at the customer service counter, i'd send western unions for people all the time, only saw that one that was a clear scam, but didn't realize it until too late).

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I saw this exact ad, word for word, but without the bit about the renting agency. Then I found the same property on a legit apartment search website and asked them about it...they replied with some BS about how they don't want to use the renting agency, etc...So I asked them for proof that they owned the house, and they stopped replying. And also took the ad down. And apparently added a bit about renting agencies and put it back up elsewhere!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

This and pretty much flat out ignore "I am out of the country" type responses.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    itimur86itimur86 Registered User new member
    I was just LEGIT scammed by this scammer and lost $2150.

This discussion has been closed.