As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic Moments in video games

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
So, video games.
We play them, we love them (if not, why the hell are you here?). Throughout your gaming "career", you've probably played loads and loads of them, some bad ones and hopefully many good ones. Some are brainless fun, some are deep and engaging.
Having played hundreds and hundreds of hours worth of games, it's easy to forget many of them. Still, if you're like me, there are a few games you will never, ever forget - and that, I think, is partly due to what I like to call "Magic Moments". These are specific scenes, sequences or, well, moments in games that stand out, that make the game memorable, that are bursting with creativity and emotion and, ideally, make you think: this is why I play video games. These are the experiences that can make this hobby so rewarding, engaging and unique.

So, what are your favorite Magic Moments in video games? Was it stepping outside Vault 101 in Fallout 3, being blinded by the sunlight and the vast open world stretching out before your eyes? Was it when you-know-who died in Final Fantasy VII? Was it beating Bowser for the first time in Super Mario Bros?

I'll start off by listing two.
First, Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals on the SNES. The game's about 20 years old now, but I'll still use spoiler tags, to be on the safe side:
Partway through the game, you meet a character called Dekar. He's a buffoon, a wannabe womanizer, but still extremely likeable and incredibly strong in combat. Some time after he joins your party, however, he sacrifices himself, enabling the rest of the party to escape from a crumbling temple. The party (and the player) is devastated, but the game goes on nonetheless. At the very end of the game, the party is about to depart for the final dungeon when the port town they're currently in is suddenly overrun by monsters, preventing them from leaving in their airship. The situation is desperate when suddenly you hear "Ha, those are all just babies!" from off-screen and, accompanied by a heroic fanfare, Dekar comes riding in on a fucking whale and saves the day.
I was completely blown away and if I had to choose, that was probably my favorite moment in a video game ever.

My next Magic Moment is from a pretty recent game, namely The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Some people dislike the motion controls, but I had no issues with them, and most of all, they made the following possible: Pulling the Master Sword out from its resting place is something that happens in every other Zelda. It's always a special moment (I especially love when it happens in Wind Waker), but this time, the key difference is that, thanks to the game's motion controls, it is actually you, the player, who pulls the sword out from the stone - and to me, that was absolutely amazing. Link raising the sword above his head at the same as, or rather because the player is doing the same with the Wii Remote, was glorious.

Alright folks, now it's your turn. Share your Magic Moments and please be mindful of spoilers!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699

• [email protected]Johnbat872@aol.com Registered User new member
    Half Life series has a couple for me. The tram ride at the starts of Half Life 1. And walking out of the train station to see the Citadel in HL2.