As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MAGIC! [MtG]

19596979899101»

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I don't like swiss to determine the top 4-6 people alone in any event.

If you lose the first round in a swiss tourney, you might as well pack your bags then because there aren't any more stakes for you to play for.

How large a tournament are you talking? X - 1, or even X - 1 - 1 is usually good enough to top 8 most events. And if it's just prizes based on Swiss, it doesn't matter which round your loss is in.

E: Unless you go undefeated until the last round and want to prize split. Which I recall you don't like.

I think about 30 people show up to the one I go to, and it's about five rounds. So because I lost the first round in Swiss, and played against someone else who lost first round Swiss, I was so far behind in the standings that I finished just outside of the top ten despite beating two dudes who ended up getting prizes.

You can lose in the second round and you can get third if you are super duper lucky. But if you lose in the first round, then you might get fifth or sixth with the same record as the guy in 2nd, and you won't even place if you lose in the first round and any other round at all.

So it's 5 rounds of Swiss, without a cut to top 8? With prizes based on final standings after Swiss? That seems crazy. For a Swiss only tournament, my LGS awards prizes based on your W/L record, not your ranking with tiebreakers and such. So all 4-0s get the same prize, all 3-1s get the same prize, etc.

• SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Went Izzet/Boros last night; got Niv-Mizzet (so did 2 other Izzet players, and yet another got Ral Zerak along with a Progenitor Mimic), Firemane Avenger, Dragonshift, and Lavinia, along with an Exava, Plasm Capture, and a shiny Renounce the Guilds. The last 3 I didn't use, but I want for later use.
    My first opponent ended up having to leave before round 1 (he got a call from his wife, so I don't blame him), then someone else ended up paying for my Taco Bell order, after which I won round 2, barely lost round 3, and lost round 4 because I kept a 6-land hand and proceeded to draw 4 more lands (thanks, deck). I only drew Niv-Mizzet in the first 2 games of round 4, the latter of which he was immediately sacrificed by Away. Still had tons of fun.
    I'm playing Simic later tonight.

Sedraxis on
    Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Hi Ral Zarek and Savagebon hydra

Welcome to team BFL

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Hi Ral Zarek and Savagebon hydra

Welcome to team BFL

i wanna be on team bfl

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Everyone can join team BFL

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I don't like swiss to determine the top 4-6 people alone in any event.

If you lose the first round in a swiss tourney, you might as well pack your bags then because there aren't any more stakes for you to play for.

How large a tournament are you talking? X - 1, or even X - 1 - 1 is usually good enough to top 8 most events. And if it's just prizes based on Swiss, it doesn't matter which round your loss is in.

E: Unless you go undefeated until the last round and want to prize split. Which I recall you don't like.

I think about 30 people show up to the one I go to, and it's about five rounds. So because I lost the first round in Swiss, and played against someone else who lost first round Swiss, I was so far behind in the standings that I finished just outside of the top ten despite beating two dudes who ended up getting prizes.

You can lose in the second round and you can get third if you are super duper lucky. But if you lose in the first round, then you might get fifth or sixth with the same record as the guy in 2nd, and you won't even place if you lose in the first round and any other round at all.

What kind of bizzaro world mtg swiss do you play. I've been to 3 different stores for fnm and they all gave out packs based on W/L. So losing your first game meant nothing if you could win your next 3, or even next 2. You still got packs. I don't think I'd want to play at your cutthroat tourneys, especially not for 30 people.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Hello Teysa

welcome to team kilroy

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    heading down soon for noon!

also got to play magic against Aaron Forsythe last night and stood two feet away from MaRo. seattle's pretty cool sometimes.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Everyone can join team BFL

Can Aurelia join team BFL?

Depends.

Is Aurelia fun?

Team BFL is only for people who like fun

This discussion has been closed.