As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Puzzle & Dragons: Hhhhhggrrlgllllrb

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Also trying to get the expert mask dungeon down, and I have friends that have sirens...but they're not showing up for me to use? What?

If you use a friend, they don't show up on your list again to reuse until they've logged out and back in.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    i usually have a siren up. maguano@PA 326,844,242

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Already your friend! And I can see it now. Need to wait 10 minutes for 1 stamina though. I have 4 sapphilits and a blue ogre all ready to give it a shot. I tried earlier with green ogre/dragon seeds and a ameratsu. Which, obviously, didn't work.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Someoe else may have used them, in which case I think they have to log out then back in again.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    So, I'm not sure how the whole power-up fusion and evolution thing works. I mean, I get the basics, but I'd like to know how to get the extra HP and what's best to fuse to what, and how to get better evolutions of stuff. Is there a guide somewhere?

There's no variation between any two monsters of the same type that are the same level, other than the +x bonuses from bonus eggs. For example, look on PuzzleDragonX and you can see exactly how much hp/atk/rcv any given creature would have at any given level. A level 5 Tyrra will always have 144 hp, 71 atk, and 13 recovery before bonuses. As for the +x bonuses, creature eggs with a +1 bonus to a random stat (hp/atk/rcv) have a chance to drop in any dungeon (although higher chances the higher level the dungeon is), you can then fuse that +1 creature to any of your other creatures to transfer that bonus to them. Creatures get 10 hp, 3 atk, or 3 recovery per +, capping at +99 for each stat (+297 total). So, a level 5 Tyrra with +2 to atk would be 144 hp, 77 atk, and 13 recovery. Generally, you want to put these bonuses on the creatures you'll use the most and that would get the most out of them, like I put my + atk bonuses on my Ancient Dragon Knight, because he gets a 2.5x atk multiplier when he leads my dragon team, or I put my +rcv bonuses on my Siren since it makes her auto-heal for more every round.

Fusing is also pretty simple, if the color of the creature your feeding matches what you're feeding it to, it gets 50% more exp than if it didn't, so always try to match colors, if you can. Monsters that you feed to another give experience equal to the base for their creature type times their level. So, looking at that link again, any of the basic type of carbuncle gives 75 exp per level, so a level 4 would give 300 exp to whatever you feed it to, or 450 exp if their colors matched. The gold cost of fusing is 100 times the level of whatever monster you're leveling up, per creature you're feeding them, so it starts off relatively cheap, but quickly gets more expensive. A cost saving method is to figure out which of your trash creatures gives the most exp per level, and feeding them a few of the other creatures to level them up, before feeding them to your more important creatures. A good example are the chimeras in the early technical dungeons, when they drop, they're level 3, giving 1200 exp to whatever you feed them to. If you feed one chimera to another, it'll only cost 300 gold, and it'll level that chimera up to level 7, so it'll give 2800 exp. This way, it costs a lot less (since you're only feeding 1 level 7 to your higher creature, instead of 2 level 3s), and you get more exp out of it than you would have (2800 instead of just 2400). The evolved forms of carbuncles that drop are another common one that this method works for.

Once you're in the technical dungeons (They unlock when you clear Castle of Satan) that becomes a lot less relevant, since leveling a pengdra to max (the early ones take only 2550 exp to max, and less as you get further) and then evolving it (takes a dragon plant and two jewel dragons from the timed daily dungeons) turns it into a creature that gives 30000 exp to whatever you feed it to, which is much more efficient than anything else you could get. There's a schedule for the timed dungeons on that site as well, even if you can't do the technicals for pengdras, the jewel and metal dragons give pretty good exp by themselves.

For evolving, there's actually two different types of evolution. The first is the normal type, which requires whatever you're evolving to be at its maximum level (Monsters light up on the selection screen when you have all the materials for evolution but you still can't evolve them below max level), then you just use the Evolve Fusion screen. The second type is for "busty evolutions", for when you're evolving a creature into one of its dual-element forms, which can be done at any level, not just max. For this one, you use the Power-Up Fusion screen, and when you put all the appropriate materials in, the Fusion button will light up to let you know you've got it right. There's no in-game guidance on this, so you've got to go to a site like the one above to find out what creatures can evolve this way (Not much besides Ogres and some of the rare machine dragons and gods), and what the recipe is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Gaaah. The expert mask thing is hard as balls. Just not getting enough blues to keep going.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @Sniperguy orb changers help a lot. I don't have any, so I used Shiva+ a red team, and brought along a bunch of red monsters with aoe attacks. Once shiva charged, an aoe attack kills everything. It helps to store 4 red orbs in the lower right and lower left corner before the next round, that way you can set off aoe attacks.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Argh, I just pulled off the expert mask dungeon, but didn't get either thing I went in for. I finally have an auto-healer of my own in an Angel that I've max leveled, and I'm only missing a divine holy mask to evolve her to an Archangel. I didn't manage to nab one of those and the mystic mask didn't drop either. Remarkably frustrating.

I guess I'll just have to console myself with the two Titans I lucked into that others have apparently had trouble getting.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    LoxxLoxx Registered User regular
    Is there any rhyme or reason to getting "Good" Fusion with Normal XP, or "Great" Fusion with the Triumph 1.5 XP, or is it just totally random?

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Totally random. FYI, there's a SUPER 2.0 XP fusion too. True story, it's only happened to me 3 times, and one was leveling a Pengdra. QQ

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Totally random. FYI, there's a SUPER 2.0 XP fusion too. True story, it's only happened to me 3 times, and one was leveling a Pengdra. QQ
    This always happens to me when I a fusing something with just enough EXP to max something out and all that extra XML goes to waste...

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Gaardean your post above is incredibly detailed and helpful for beginners. It's OP quality stuff. I'm going to pass it along to my son because you explained it way better than I think I could...

• Options
    MetalMagus wrote: »

I actually got a super when feeding five pengdras to a fresh chaos dragon. That made me happy.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I wish one of my three crappy rare pulls had been a Titan, lol. Been trying to get that asshole to drop for awhile now.

Have you friended me yet, @Mahnmut? I figure you'd enjoy it when I have my Shiva up.

Also, I hate you for having a mystic flame knight. Want him so bad.

I tried, but your list is full actually! And I do like Shiva friends.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    My list must stay full quite a bit. I'll add 5 more slots and do a purge later today, I guess.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I just started playing this recently. How do I friend you guys?

• Options
    I just started playing this recently. How do I friend you guys?

Check the OP for friend codes. You can search by friend code from the friends menu.

I deleted 2 friends and added space for another 5 with a stone, so if anyone was looking for my Shiva and I'd been full before, just add me.

• Options
    Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
    Just started yesterday - sending out a few invites though I failed the @PA test :) 398,246,252

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I added a few of you.
    FC is 397 846 254

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Gaardean your post above is incredibly detailed and helpful for beginners. It's OP quality stuff. I'm going to pass it along to my son because you explained it way better than I think I could...

Definitely.

It explained what that (+1) I kept seeing on my monsters was and I had no idea what it meant. I assume it's the +x bonuses. I got a +1 woodsie from a PAL egg, and not knowing what on earth it was, fed it to another monster.

Things are looking up for me, though! I have gotten the lil green dragon and the lil white dragon so far from PAL eggs. From the dungeons I've collected a green, red, and blue ogre and an collecting the matching 'lits.

My main issues are
    - not enough team points to use all my monsters (will be solved with time)
    - constantly being completely out of money
    - usually running out of space in my monster box ( I have ~40 slots? Should I get more?) I don't usually have enough money to do fusion with the trash ones I have. I assume the blobs, carbuncles, goblins, and uh..defenders/figthers whatever they are can all be safely fused?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have 110 boxes and I still run out, if that helps.
    Blobs carbuncles goblins fighters/defenders can be fused.
    The evolved carbuncles, (ruby/topaz/etc) and the Knights are worth leveling to 10 then feeding to other guys, you'll save money and increase xp that way.
    If you are constantly running out of money you might be trying to level monsters that are too high level. A level 1 monster takes 100 gold to fuse something to, a level 50 takes 50*100.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Yeah, running out of money, running out of boxes, and working inside team point restrictions is sort of the recurring set of planning challenges.

I need to stop buying boxes, but it's so much easier when I start to run out of space...

• Options
    LoxxLoxx Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    - constantly being completely out of money
    On Saturday and Sunday a special dungeon opens up that rewards large amounts of gold. Last weekend I was in the mid 20's level wise and went from almost nothing to about 750,000 just running the adept level of the dungeon as often as I could. Someone said it earlier in the thread and this is definitely how you feel after running it for awhile:

scrooge-mcduck-blog.jpg

:D

• Options
    WHat's the best way to level stuff?
    Same elements together?
    Same critters together?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    color and/or style (i.e. attacker technique dragon etc)

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    color and/or style (i.e. attacker technique dragon etc)
    attacker/technique? oh god. I'm... i think i'm in over my head

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Afaik same color is the only time you get the base fusion bonus.

This guide sums up the low level fusion process. Once you beat Caste of Satan you can throw everything out the window and just work on pengdras from technicals.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Squid56 wrote: »
    Just started yesterday - sending out a few invites though I failed the @PA test :) 398,246,252

@Squid56 You can add @PA to your name whenever you want.

On the bottom menu of the game at the right there is 'Others'. Click that, scroll down, go to 'Change Name'.

• Options
    All names /codes added before this post have been added to the OP.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Sorry this is right after you updated it by my code is 329,943,257 It's Pheny@PA

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    Sorry this is right after you updated it by my code is 329,943,257 It's Pheny@PA

This is why we can't have nice things!

Added to the OP.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I'm also game if anyone wants to trade rank 20 presents.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Just FYI, I deleted this game, so you can delete my name from the OP.

Once I got the urge to buy more stones to spend in the slot machine of rare eggs, I decided that I'd be better off not playing anymore.

• Options
    Syphyre wrote: »

Once I got the urge to buy more stones to spend in the slot machine of rare eggs, I decided that I'd be better off not playing anymore.

Thanks for the note. Removed from OP.

I'm worried that I'll get to your point eventually. Right now I'm just using this game as something to do while on the toilet, instead of reading Reddit. Once I get the urge to spend money I'll likely stop playing.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Squid56 wrote: »

you mean to say there's 56 of me now

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    Syphyre wrote: »

Thanks for the note. Removed from OP.

I'm worried that I'll get to your point eventually. Right now I'm just using this game as something to do while on the toilet, instead of reading Reddit. Once I get the urge to spend money I'll likely stop playing.

I threw GungHo 5 bucks once when I desperately wanted to continue in a Mask dungeon. Since I had already been playing the game for about a month, I figured that was a "fair" price to pay for the game itself. That's my absolute limit though, even though I've been tempted a few times to buy a few more stones.

I can certainly understand the desire to just eliminate the temptation - my only microtransaction vice has been Rock Band, I'm damn well not spending hundreds of dollars on a freaking mobile game.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Is this game not out in Europe or something? I've been trying to find it in the shop to download to my tablet for my mom (who is an inveterate Puzzle quest addict), but I can't find it for the life of me.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    With the 5.0 Event coming to a close, I thought I'd share the fruits of all the bonus stones, King Dragons, and Evo materials by presenting my 4 preset teams. Feel free to add your own for sharing and comparison.

My run of the mill ADK Team
    231.png211.png212.png214.png215.png
    Probably the most popular and cliched mid to end game team in the game, but still very effective. I'm working on leveling a Graviton Earth Dragon to sub in for the Meteor Volcano in Water Dungeons. Also have a Chaos Dragon Knight I can sub in for light dungeons.

My fire resolve team
    107.png99.png201.png88.png379.png
    My resolve team for the Mask and Master Sprite dungeons. The orb changing ability of the Titan, Phoenix Knight, and Dino Rider make this a pretty fool-proof team - the 2 menaces from the Naga are just gravy. I make sure to pair with an auto-healer in the friend slot for added security. Need to level the naga, Phoenix Knight, and Titan up.

My Valkyrie Healer team
    226.png202.png201.png203.png95.png
    Kind of a gimmick team, but leveled and with the right friend it can be pretty formidable. The one major missing component is a Lilith, and I'll be farming for a succubus from the Sky Dragon of Darkness dungeon next week. I'm also leveling that low-level naga and another mermaid to take a more permanent spot on this team. The Alraune and Angel (eventually Archangel) will then sit on the bench until needed for specific dungeons.

My All Green Team.
    241.png393.png231.png315.png379.png
    Just finished some evolutions for this team tonight, and it's looking pretty formidable with the right friend (like Artemis, Freyja, Bastet, or another Pavarti). I have a green golem I could eventually turn into a Wood Mech Asgard for a big HP boost and nice defense skill.

The Make Shift Team.
    My fifth slot I just save for ultra-specialized teams or for messing around with unique combos. If I want my Siren the Enchanter to lead, she'll take point on this slot (usually backed up by my ripper dragons). When I want to play with my Isis, I'll make a team around her here as well.

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    VerboseVerbose That one guy over there. That guy. Registered User regular
    I really wish I knew what levels gave cost cap increases. I looked up what dungeons have good exp/stamina ratios and am now just grinding some exp out. That said, I am nowhere near being able to use my optimal team. On the plus side I finally got myself a top tier mermaid, and it is just so lovely to have my own healer.

• Options
    The No RCV red dungeon grind seriously gave me like 30 levels.