As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Puzzle & Dragons: Hhhhhggrrlgllllrb

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Currently using a Red Dragon-9, Kagutsuchi-30, Flame Knight-11, Samurai Goblin-10, Tyrannos-14.
    I slowly ran down the keeper of flame in the forest fire area over the course of 20 mins or so... He has high defense! Based on that, I think I'm done advancing in the normal dungeons for now.

I'd like to level up my Amaratesu but I can't get access to topaz carbunkles yet. I'm guessing my best option is to run the Sky Dragon red on adept whenever a friend has a healer up? I don't seem to need any masks for a while, so I think I am skipping the mask dungeon.

Any advice? Should I use my pal eggs?

Also to raise the skill, any monster with the same skill name can be used? Not just the same type?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Okay, now I get how that strategy works. Basically, you pair an auto-regen healer with a resolve monster and keep your hp pool low enough so that each turn your healer will recover you by enough so that you don't get wiped. Then, it's a matter of biding time to drop a skill like poison or Shiva's defensive debuff to wipe the enemy. The only auto healer I have is a Mandrake at 51 with 446 recovery so that's still too low. I don't have any other monsters with a poison-type skill so I'm going to need to do some grinding to get offense skills for next week. That's pretty interesting though. Thanks for taking the time to explain in the thread, guys. Took me a bit but I think I get it!

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Currently using a Red Dragon-9, Kagutsuchi-30, Flame Knight-11, Samurai Goblin-10, Tyrannos-14.
    I slowly ran down the keeper of flame in the forest fire area over the course of 20 mins or so... He has high defense! Based on that, I think I'm done advancing in the normal dungeons for now.

I'd like to level up my Amaratesu but I can't get access to topaz carbunkles yet. I'm guessing my best option is to run the Sky Dragon red on adept whenever a friend has a healer up? I don't seem to need any masks for a while, so I think I am skipping the mask dungeon.

Any advice? Should I use my pal eggs?

Also to raise the skill, any monster with the same skill name can be used? Not just the same type?

Yes, so long as it's exactly the same skill name, you can use different creatures to fuse, like using Marine Goblins to raise the skill of Sirens. Running a full red team is going to be challenging at first, both because you're so reliant on one color type for exp and because you'll only do half damage in water dungeons. If you have any higher-level creatures I wouldn't hesitate to mix them in, I've just used 4 or 5 color teams with an auto-healer leader, and it's been pretty smooth going since they all leveled quickly. For the Pal Eggs, I'd go ahead and use them for the moment, since you could probably use whatever comes out of them for now, but start saving them up before the patch later this month since that's the most likely time for another special event.

@Zanshinretsu Yep, that's it, although poison or Shiva aren't absolutely necessary, they just make it much easier. You can simply chip away at them while trying to keep a stockpile of gems to wipe out any mask that would attack at the same time as another (the only thing that will kill you), but if you get a bad streak of luck (not enough gems that you need, or 3 masks that are synced up) then you're done for.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    What the fuck kind of cellphone game doesn't work in the subway? I am Incensed.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Indica1 wrote: »
    What the fuck kind of cellphone game doesn't work in the subway? I am Incensed.

Basically all the multiplayer ones. This one at least keeps looking for signal once it loses, instead of just failing you out like the others I've played.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Does anyone want to trade lvl 20 gifts?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I can doe, and we are conveniently already friends

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Awesome, I have sent you a present. I got a starter from mine... sadly, the starter I already have ._. It has +1 to rcv so thinking about feeding it to my healer. Although final form starters have good stats. Should I keep it? Also does team recover total count for anything? Or is it just on the healer?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited March 2013
    The present is always a +1 starter, just so you know. I'm not sure if you can get light/dark starters from them yet or not.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    yea no it isnt. i just got a +Spinon. similar to the starters but dark

hmm, you each get a pull from presents right? if not something weird happened, but now i have two spinons with +1 to attack.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Awesome, I have sent you a present. I got a starter from mine... sadly, the starter I already have ._. It has +1 to rcv so thinking about feeding it to my healer. Although final form starters have good stats. Should I keep it? Also does team recover total count for anything? Or is it just on the healer?

I'd just feed it to your healer, if it's a duplicate starter, the 5-star resist dragons have much better stats than the 5-star starter dragons, and aren't that rare to see drop. Team recovery is how much hp you'll regain from matching 3 heart gems, so it's a useful stat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    All user IDs posted prior to this post have been added to the OP.

Also,
    Betsuni wrote: »
    We should all put "@PA&quot; at the end of our names to make it easier to spot a friend invite for members here. If you don't know how to edit your name after creating it, it is under the options menu and I think it says "change name".

Do this.

I can't do this because my name is too long. I may change to just Sniper@PA.

Also I am so stuck on the second tier of light dungeons. And I am having a hell of a time levelling up my meager as hell team too. MUST HAVE MORE MYSTIC STONES

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Also, as a noob, what do these plus symbols on some monsters mean?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Also, as a noob, what do these plus symbols on some monsters mean?

They have a bonus to one of their stats, you can see which stat on their info screen. You'll rarely get creature drops with bonuses in dungeons, and you can fuse them to another creature to transfer that bonus over. As a tip for anyone running the Thursday special dungeon, keep any extra Dragon Plants you get that you don't use for evolving your stuff, you need a lot of them for evolving Pengdras for good exp once you've opened up the Technical dungeons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Does anyone know how often the boss in expert skydragon red/blue hit and how much he hits for? Trying to figure out if I can slowly grind one down with enough healing.
    Also when people talk about having more than one Resist dragon, do they mean multiple of each color?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Hmm... well, I spent some time playing this last night, pretty neat. Then I spent the rest of the evening rerolling... I think about the best I had was either a normal Echidna or maybe the Fire Gigas. I continued rerolling today and finally got a gold egg which ended up being Shaitan the Flame Elemental... which I kept and did some fire elemental dungeon runs before my iPad battery needed a charge.

Shaitan isn't really listed as a starter, so I don't know if I should go back to rerolling or not, but eh. She doubles the health of all my fire element party members, which seems alright. Almost thinking I should've kept the Gigas one of the couple times I got him... tons of health on him.

• Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how often the boss in expert skydragon red/blue hit and how much he hits for? Trying to figure out if I can slowly grind one down with enough healing.
    Also when people talk about having more than one Resist dragon, do they mean multiple of each color?

This what you're looking for?

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    Yes, thank you. Looks like I have to wait for now, can't keep up with the boss's attack.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Man, wish I knew the Thursday dungeon was that good for farming evo stuff. Wasted so much stamina trying to get seeds etc

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So, just started this yesterday. No real idea of what I'm doing as far as putting a team together. What's some really basic monsters I should get started with, and where do I find them?

Also, what's the best way to earn coins? I keep running out of them during fusion...

• Options
    edited March 2013

This what you're looking for?

This one also has the water dragon listing. You only really need one of each resist dragon (or a replacement that also gives 50% resist), for the sake of getting through some of the dungeons (like the skydragon ones, the Master level is impossible without a resist and auto-healer), but they also have really good stats and a strong nuke ability for their team cost, so I'd hold on to a spare of each, personally.

@ringswraith Most of what drops in the lower levels aren't worth much in the long haul, so I wouldn't worry too much and focus on leveling your starter dragon and any rare monsters you pull out of the gacha machines. For filling up empty slots, ogres are high health and actually evolve pretty far (I recommend these most, getting 1-shot by bosses is the biggest problem most of the time), goblins have useful orb-changing powers, carbuncle help your healing orb matches, and demons are high damage/low health. Some of the bosses that drop can be nice, though, but they're pretty rare chances (golems, titan, lil' dragons, or the healer girls). Look here and it lists the major drops for you. For coins, run the Saturday/Sunday special dungeon, it pretty much rains money in there.

Gaardean on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Hmm... well, I spent some time playing this last night, pretty neat. Then I spent the rest of the evening rerolling... I think about the best I had was either a normal Echidna or maybe the Fire Gigas. I continued rerolling today and finally got a gold egg which ended up being Shaitan the Flame Elemental... which I kept and did some fire elemental dungeon runs before my iPad battery needed a charge.

Shaitan isn't really listed as a starter, so I don't know if I should go back to rerolling or not, but eh. She doubles the health of all my fire element party members, which seems alright. Almost thinking I should've kept the Gigas one of the couple times I got him... tons of health on him.

In all honesty, I know I supported the whole, "reroll till you get a God or really good gold egg drop" theory. But if you don't get one of those, "super" monsters most will last you long enough to get stronger ones if you play enough. My phone team (which is my best one) now has a really great stable of critters and I started out with Fenrir (green dragon) which I thought was uber till I hit the wall of it was too expensive to level and I realized that the "ripper" dragons were useful as well. So I would say now that if you really are obsessed with getting the best then by all means reroll till you get the best of what is out there. Otherwise, just be patient because most of the great dragons can be obtained at a later date in a dungeon or egg drop.

Or you can just befriend those who have the uber critters and use theirs as leaders till you get them yourself. I found the best way to really optimize this game is to get a friend who you can communicate with a few times a day to combo your way up through everything.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    A review of monsters that focuses on which ones you should start with.

tl;dr
    It is best to start with either one of the 3 element Indian Gods, any of the Norse Gods (but with the inclusion of the ultimate-evolved starters, they are easily replaceable) or Valkyrie. Bonus points to Indian Fire, Indian Grass and Norse Dark. Valkyrie is for players who like functional girls as their team. With the inclusion of the new Egyptian gods, Bastet (grass) is an excellent start as well.

If you get Grass Odin and want to try hard mode, you can start with him.

If you get Amaterasu and want to go for MARGIKARP->GYARADOS->HOLYSHITWHYISEVERYONEAFTERMYAMATERASU mode, you can start with her.

For brainless easymodo, start with the fire swordsman (assuming you picked fire starter). Either that or Vampire Lord.

For babies' mode, go with Siren.

If you are lazy and unwilling to grind for a good start like the retards we are, you can start with anyone whom I deem above as an okay monster to start with.

A guide to monsters a beginner should farm for.

Guide on starter monsters and what to farm for again.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular

In all honesty, I know I supported the whole, "reroll till you get a God or really good gold egg drop" theory. But if you don't get one of those, "super" monsters most will last you long enough to get stronger ones if you play enough. My phone team (which is my best one) now has a really great stable of critters and I started out with Fenrir (green dragon) which I thought was uber till I hit the wall of it was too expensive to level and I realized that the "ripper" dragons were useful as well. So I would say now that if you really are obsessed with getting the best then by all means reroll till you get the best of what is out there. Otherwise, just be patient because most of the great dragons can be obtained at a later date in a dungeon or egg drop.

Or you can just befriend those who have the uber critters and use theirs as leaders till you get them yourself. I found the best way to really optimize this game is to get a friend who you can communicate with a few times a day to combo your way up through everything.

Yeah, this was the first gold egg I saw at all, and most guides seem to suggest going with fire or dark, so since I was going fire anyway it was pretty fortunate that Shaitan is fire. I am getting a bit sick of the tutorial.

I did have my name as Dranyth@PA anyway.

It seems like it's a bit hard to do a one color team from the start as you kind of need your swordsman and/or gigas type in order to at least change some tiles to your chosen color. So I'm not entirely sure how far I might be able to get like this.

I did see a post on those forums where a guy said the Friday dungeon is really good for farming... dubmyths or something? To the point where he was almost playing with the idea that new accounts should be made on Fridays and just farm that dungeon all day. Guess I'll see tomorrow. What did kind of suck is that yesterday the starter Fire dungeon was half-off stamina for a number of hours, today it's the water one. Ah well.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Playing this a bit -- jericho89 is the name. :^: 381, 643, 242

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    I will stab all of you in the eye for a red mystic knight.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Started playing this the other day: gjaustin 376,948,248

Also, I'm rank 20 and I'm looking for someone to swap presents with...

• Options
    hmm what is the best source of the winged dragon pod things. didnt get enough yesterday and need some for more evolution

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    hmm what is the best source of the winged dragon pod things. didnt get enough yesterday and need some for more evolution

I think that The Tower of Trials has some of them. Maybe Tower of Giants too.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Definitely Tower of Trials. Too many flowers in Giant. The last level in Trials is not only the best return on your stamina, chain running could net you a Titan, a resolve monster with the ability to change hearts to red orbs.

• Options

Yeah, this was the first gold egg I saw at all, and most guides seem to suggest going with fire or dark, so since I was going fire anyway it was pretty fortunate that Shaitan is fire. I am getting a bit sick of the tutorial.

I did have my name as Dranyth@PA anyway.

It seems like it's a bit hard to do a one color team from the start as you kind of need your swordsman and/or gigas type in order to at least change some tiles to your chosen color. So I'm not entirely sure how far I might be able to get like this.

I did see a post on those forums where a guy said the Friday dungeon is really good for farming... dubmyths or something? To the point where he was almost playing with the idea that new accounts should be made on Fridays and just farm that dungeon all day. Guess I'll see tomorrow. What did kind of suck is that yesterday the starter Fire dungeon was half-off stamina for a number of hours, today it's the water one. Ah well.

The regular red goblins upgrade to have the same skill as Gigas, so that is a good team member before you get a gigas. That's what I'm using at any rate. If you can get your life total above 2k and can make friends with someone with a siren the enchanter/archangel/alurane, I'd say run the skydragon fire on adept to try and get a lil' red dragon as well as some evolved fire creatures. The boss is obnoxious to grind down, but he can't kill you if you make a match every turn.

Also I tried the ogre and sprites with a healer team on the expert sprite dungeon strategy, and that didn't go too well for me. Although I don't really need any dubmyths for the conceivable future. I do need the regular rainbow sprites. Is the easiest way to get them just to run the regular Friday dungeon and hope it drops on the last stage?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Rainbow sprites also show up randomly in some of the dungeons around Castle of Satan difficulty, but that's pretty random. To farm them your stuck with normal sprite dungeon. Good Luck!

For a guaranteed clear of expert sprite, you really need a naga. That's the only way to guarantee you'll be able to burn down a dub-lit if two show up on the same short timer (had two today with an attack in 2 turns). Try to do expert flame Skydragon until you get one, they're really that useful.

I'll brag a little and note that my current expert sprite team is Gigas leader, mystic flame knight, 2 naga, shaitan. I take a Siren as my friend. When everyone's charged I have guaranteed extra time to match, 2 ways to make flame orbs, and a situational panic button w/ shaitan.

• Options
    Is there any event that drops mystic flame knight, or am I stuck hoping for a rare egg pull?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I would if I thought I could make it through Flame dragon expert. before it expires. I need a -50% fire damage dragon to outlast eldorado and I can't get a fire keeper till Tuesday I think.

Thanks for the sprite info though.

edit: what do you use to clear the skydragon expert dungeons?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Definitely Tower of Trials. Too many flowers in Giant. The last level in Trials is not only the best return on your stamina, chain running could net you a Titan, a resolve monster with the ability to change hearts to red orbs.

Saturday and Sunday are great for doing this, as both Towers are half stamina on those days. Trials averages about twice as many dragon plants, but Dragons of the Tower in Tower of Giants gets 1400-1500 exp for only 3 stamina where None Shall Pass is only 400ish. You may get fewer plants per run, but if you keep leveling, you can do a heck of a lot more runs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is there any event that drops mystic flame knight, or am I stuck hoping for a rare egg pull?

They drop in the Sky Dragon of Flame (no RCV) which is going right now.

I always use a ripper dragon for the 50% resist along with a high healer (the max evolved versions only). Then some high damage guys in the middle.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Question for you high-level folks.

I'm currently rank 89, finished all the Technical Dungeons, and am currently working on the Rhea-Themis Temple set of dungeons (the 27th set of normal dungeons).

Do any additional dungeon types (like the Technical Dungeons) eventually unlock? Or do more Technical Dungeons eventually unlock?

I'm also curious about the upcoming update. Form what I understand, the US version of the app is woefully behind the Japanese version... Anyone have any details about what's new?

Rothgarr on
  • Options

They drop in the Sky Dragon of Flame (no RCV) which is going right now.

I always use a ripper dragon for the 50% resist along with a high healer (the max evolved versions only). Then some high damage guys in the middle.

Well fuck me. I've done it several times but haven't been grinding it. Fuuuu.

• Options
    I would if I thought I could make it through Flame dragon expert. before it expires. I need a -50% fire damage dragon to outlast eldorado and I can't get a fire keeper till Tuesday I think.

Thanks for the sprite info though.

Like Betsuni said, you need a 50% damage reducer and a high level healer. As long as you have one, you can usually find a friend who has the other. Rippers are great for damage since you're actually using their ability for damage more than their regular attacks.

• Options
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Question for you high-level folks.

I'm currently rank 89, finished all the Technical Dungeons, and am currently working on the Rhea-Themis Temple set of dungeons (the 27th set of normal dungeons).

Do any additional dungeon types (like the Technical Dungeons) eventually unlock? Or do more Technical Dungeons eventually unlock?

I'm also curious about the upcoming update. Form what I understand, the US version of the app is woefully behind the Japanese version... Anyone have any details about what's new?

As of right now, there are no more technical dungeons past what you already beat.

From what I heard the next version has more dungeons and some technical ones as well (bringing some white/black ones for the pengdras). Along with the new dungeons there are a bunch more monsters as well. Was reading a Japanese PaG website with the new monsters (which a bunch are from SquareEnix actually) but have no idea the exact names of the new dungeons. Oh and I saw the next versions of the current roster as well, the next evolution of the base five dragons are pretty useful. Rumors are saying that we are going to get it sometime this month (or really soon).

oosik_betsuni.png