As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about an awesome RTS game [Age of Empires]

anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it.Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Games and Technology
atssAWK.jpg

Age of Empires is a series of games that were created by Ensemble Studios starting in 1997 with the first game. It's a real time strategy game that focuses on gathering resources (food, wood, gold, etc.) and developing a village and army to eventually overtake your enemy or enemies and win the game. It features different civilizations that have their own buildings, units, etc.

L8B88Bz.jpg

The first one came out in 1997. It's probably the least played since the previous games have come out. Personally I haven't played a lot of this one, but it's still fun if you can find a copy somewhere. It features civilizations such as Egyptians, Greeks, Babylonians, and more. In 1998 it got the expansion The Rise of Rome which added some new units and a whole new musical score as well as some tweaks but besides that it didn't add too much.

D7kwBiU.png

The second AoE, or age of kings is considered the best in the series by many and still played online today. It came out in 1999 and is still freaking awesome. It later got an expansion known as the Conquerors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxWHEiuIbI

It's also educational and is a good excuse to learn history with campaigns following people like Joan of Arc and Ghengis Kahn.

Oh, and one of the reasons why I made this thread is it because there is a good possibility it's coming to steam! With achievements!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/19fboa/age_of_empires_2_very_likely_coming_to_steam/

Also a new unofficial expansion called the forgotten empires just came out a couple months ago! I haven't tried it yet, but it adds more resolutions and new civs. It's supposedly pretty good.

If you can't wait for the steam release it's not hard to find the gold edition for 10 bucks at places like Walmart or Office Max.

UeH0NjG.png

In 2005 we got AoE3. Personally, I enjoy it, but I know a lot of people aren't fond of it. But it did add some new stuff and actually got 2 expansions that added native American tribes and Asian civilizations. The complete edition is on steam for 40 bucks, which is still a little pricey. So unless you're dying to play it now, I'd wait for an inevitable steam sale when it'll most likely be like 5 dollars. It actually ended up being my greatest game deal ever when I got it from games for windows on sale for a few MS points, which in USD was literally about 10 cents. Sadly, this would be Ensemble Studio's last AoE game and next to last game period before it closed it's doors in 2009.

PS7qvRi.jpg

The newest AoE was made by robot entertainment, which was founded by some former Ensemble guys. It's really cartoony and looks a lot different than previous AoE games. It's also more of a MMO game and is free to play. Its...ok. Unless you're broke and don't have access to any other AoE game, I wouldn't recommend it. I've also heard nothing new is being made for it, and like most MMO and f2p games, it's full of morons. So yeah.

There have also been some spinoff AoE games such as Age of Mythology, which I don't know a lot about, but feel free to talk about them here too because I've heard some of them are excellent as well. Here's hoping that MS who still holds the rights to AoE has someone working on an AoE4.

Steam: offday
anoffday on

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    This is my favorite game series of all time. I probably owe my current major of history to this and the axis and allies computer game (the early one actually based off the board game). God the instruction manuals were basically light text books with information on the empires, units, and technologies. And it was on the game as well!

And the cheat codes. Rome may not have been biuld in a day, but it was destroyed in a day by my army of futureistic laser soilders and nuclear missles. Oh and the Mongol hordes used corba cars. So fun :D

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I was pretty weirded out by age of empires 3 being this entirely made up storyline based around this assassin's creed style illuminati group. After the excellent historical campaigns of AoE2 it didn't make any sense.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried forgotten empires yet? I'm hoping I have time tonight to install it and try it out.

• Options
    Forgotten Empires looks good. @anoffday did you try it? If it has new campaigns then I will definitely find my old cd to try it.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds should be added to the OP! The whole series is basically just a reskinning of AoE II with Star Wars stuff.

It's one of the few good Star Wars games, and the only good Star Wars RTS games.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    AoE and AoE2 were some of the very best games I've ever had. They are a significant contributing factor to my current history-nerdiness.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Forgotten Empires looks good. @anoffday did you try it? If it has new campaigns then I will definitely find my old cd to try it.

Tried it last night. It's pretty good, but I don't think it adds a new campaign. I just saw new civs and maps.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Age of Empires was.....alright. The graphics and music were good, and there was more content and variety than Warcraft 2 or Command and Conquer. But it was extremely frustrating to play, as the AI would not co-operate with you in creating a fun match. It would simply build armies consisting of nothing but priests and catapults, ensuring that fun was nowhere to be seen. And want to play some multiplayer? Sure thing, hook up your 28.8 modem and experience the joys of multiplayer through The Zone. I don't think I ever seriously played it again after Starcraft came out.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Age of Empires was.....alright. The graphics and music were good, and there was more content and variety than Warcraft 2 or Command and Conquer. But it was extremely frustrating to play, as the AI would not co-operate with you in creating a fun match. It would simply build armies consisting of nothing but priests and catapults, ensuring that fun was nowhere to be seen. And want to play some multiplayer? Sure thing, hook up your 28.8 modem and experience the joys of multiplayer through The Zone. I don't think I ever seriously played it again after Starcraft came out.

To each his own, but I had the complete opposite experience.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

To each his own, but I had the complete opposite experience.

I'm with you offday. AoE was my first multiplayer PC experience and it was amazing. I never played this game single player because it was lame. If you weren't on that M$ Zone thing idk what you were doing. Ancient Choson for life!

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So were huns still bullshit at the end of aoe's run?

aoe2 was the first multiplayer game I ever played. Up until then I used to think I was the hottest shit at real time strategy and I boasted as much to my friends in high school. So one of my friends that played a lot of multiplayer challenged me and deployed such foreign concepts and macro, and micro, and actually doing stuff. And I was brought low through my own hubris, and yea great humiliation did I suffer the next day at school.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I still remember playing AoE 2 multiplayer for the first time and seeing someone build multiple barracks, which blew my mind. My thought process was something like this:

"What is this guy doing? Doesn't he realize he built a barracks already? You only need one."

"Wow this guy is super inattentive or dumb. He just keeps building barracks."

"Wait... now he can build infantry faster..."

"OH MY GOD."

So, yeah. That was when I went from not understanding RTS games to understanding RTS games.

• Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Man, I loved this game. I probably sank more time into that single game than any other I've ever played, except maybe (maybe) World of Warcraft. Age of Empires 2 was just the best thing ever. I always played as the Byzantines and made like a hundred cataphracts because trample damage.

That said, I was never any good at it, and for some reason the difficulty curve switching from Standard to Medium or whatever was just a huge leap out of my league. I suspect that, were I to apply the knowledge gained after a year or so laddering on SC2, I'd probably be able to handle it. At least I knew what I was doing economically though, I typically topped out around 40-50 Villagers in a 200-cap game.

The other RTS I really loved in high school was Rise of Nations. What a great game, and the Conquer the World campaign, especially with the randomize function, was amazing. Oh look, the Germans who started in South Africa are invading the Russians who occupy the Iberian peninsula, and they've got help from the Chinese on the British Isles! What will the Mayans have to say about that?

Also it was the only game I played that let you nuke everything until everyone lost.

• Options
    FOOD PLEASE

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I still play the first one online via Gameranger. It's my favorite in the series too, but since the second one is getting a HD remake and is being put on Steam I had to pick that up too.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So what is HD about AOE2HD? I saw the steam screenies and it looks exactly the same as it did years ago. That's not saying its a con, but the title seems strange.

Edit: In fact, with this picture http://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item24803/AOEII_Compare.jpg it looks worse than it originally did.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    um

the game

the game is the HD part of AOE2HD

that's literally what it is

the game now runs in HD

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Age of Kings: TC had a max resolution of 1280x1024

also the water looks worse because they patched in animated water. It's coloured right, though. Actual seawater isn't #0000FF

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Also, Voobly is panicking.

Ensemble Hidden Path said more AoE2HD information might come out in the weeks before release, so it'll be interesting to see if any useful competition comes out of this...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Any screenies, btw? I absolutely loved this game back in the day.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Big:
    rlm1Y2H.jpg

ss_78cc1f90aaa7f368a05ceb5f2ea29109696736c4.1920x1080.jpg

ss_ea28d966c363726dcee8848b20a634a75d62ee97.1920x1080.jpg

Chief features to note are the ones already mentioned: cliff graphics, water graphics, fire graphics, shadows colour palette.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    My first game for the PC. Go turks!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    theSquid wrote: »
    So were huns still bullshit at the end of aoe's run?

aoe2 was the first multiplayer game I ever played. Up until then I used to think I was the hottest shit at real time strategy and I boasted as much to my friends in high school. So one of my friends that played a lot of multiplayer challenged me and deployed such foreign concepts and macro, and micro, and actually doing stuff. And I was brought low through my own hubris, and yea great humiliation did I suffer the next day at school.

yup

also me too on hubris

playing versus the AI actively encourages bad habits, I suspect. The AI doesn't exploit map control, and actively yields to clever walling.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I totally just found a folder on a backup drive that has a bunch of rms maps in it, including some that I had made that are probably terrible.

No custom scenarios, though. No Castle Blood. No World Map. My inner teenager is super bummed right now.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    ES_MattP did mumble something about map sizes, but who knows whether that got patched.

I'd like generic interface improvements - command queuing in the AoM/AoE3 style, command queueing for buildings, techs in the unit queue, selecting more than 40 units, etc. - but I won't be surprised if they don't turn up. Still satisfied with an update at all, really.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    One of my fave games growing up. Wasn't very good at multiplayer though, the pace was always too quick for me. I guess I enjoyed the city building aspect more.

What civs do you guys like using?

I remember Mongols are good because of their Mangudai. A group of them together is really hard to stop. They're like a moving castle.
    I also like the Byzantines and the Japanese (because their buildings look cool).

xraydog on
  • Options
    WOOD PLEASE

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    FOOD PLEASE

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I liked Mongols. You can flood people with an endless stream of 30% bonus HP light cavalry, plus speedy rams. No gold cost, so all your gold can go to funding siege and champions. Who needs +1/+2 plate barding armor with that amount of free bonus? And a handful of Mangudai are generically nice to chase away enemy siege.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Speaking of Mongol light cavalry, I hope the Workshop makes modding in alternative unit skins easier. Hussars look so strange with their feathers, esp. with the far east tileset.

(repeat call: anybody for the Steam 4-pack?)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    What civs do you guys like using?
    The British are my favourite. Their longbowmen are quite devastating :)

We should get a STEAM group going for multiplayer matches!!

Prisca on
  • Options
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I remember mostly playing Frank (castle rush) and Goth (mixed infantry zerging). I think I played a lot of Aztec in the expansion, but I don't remember why. I also remember a very special rush with the Persians that I should introduce somebody to.

I got to a point where I could school most of my friends and occasionally hold my own in a mid-level online game, but I was never amazing at the game. There was a cruel twist of fate the first time I was on track to win a ranked match. Dude snuck some of his villagers out and hid them when I sacked his town. As soon as I found his refugee lumber operation, the power went out because the transformer in the alley behind my house exploded. You might take that as a freak occurrence, but it actually happened once a month or so. It was a weird house.

• Options
    GOLD PLEASE

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    ronya wrote: »

Is that what they mean by multi-monitor support? Because that would be fucking rad, I just got a second monitor a few days ago.

edit: that's actually exactly the same resolution as both of my monitors together!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Apparently!

The water is animated too, I think it'll be pretty.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I usually played on Black Forest maps and went with the Celts to blaze my own trail with siege onagers. Otherwise I skipped between Spanish (mounted healers), Turks (ridiculous firearm barrages) and Teutons (slow-moving death machine + cheaper farm spam). But I was also pretty terrible at the game, not really using macros or my civ's strengths for a long time, but it was also the first RTS I owned, but I did enjoy the RPG-esque campaigns and 4v4 games where my terribleness could be offset by more time to build up armies.

I'm not entirely sure how this warrants a $20 purchase for what amounts to a widescreen patch and compatability patch. Especially since I still have my discs in my closet.

• Options
    Man, I never played multi in this game. For tried to play to a civs advantages. If this has multi over steam then I will pick it up.

• Options
    It will have Steam-based multiplayer.