As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Thief] Finally returning!

DrxLecterDrxLecter Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Games and Technology
It has been forever since the last game, but Eidos has announced Thief 4!

Looking like a next-gen 2014 launch.

For those interested, the game informer site has a short Developer Doc(no real game play):
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/05/april-cover-revealed-thief.aspx

Some points from the GI Article:
Mystical elements of the game toned down:
"Players won't likely encounter undead monsters and dinosaurs as they did in the first titles."

Adding a Focus gameplay feature/power:
"Focus lights up the screen and highlights places you can climb and candles you can put out, fingerprints, loot, etc..."

Tools:
Blackjack, Bow, and special arrows with the rope arrow being replace with the "Claw" a grappling hook that can get you out of sight quickly.

Lockpicking minigame(looks oblivionish)

AI will understand level design and look in potential hiding spots:
"Garrett's enemies understand the topography of the level and which areas could be useful for hiding."

Can attack certain points of enemy bodies using focus attacks.

GDC Trailer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=USHtoo2EVEc

I'll update with more info once it is released, but here are some pretty pictures.

thief_4-1.jpg

thief_4-2.jpg

thief_4-10.jpg

thief_4-3.jpg

small610.jpg

Thief_2.jpg

Thief_3.jpg

DrxLecter on

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    There a link to the announcement?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Shit yes finally.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    YES.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    In before "lol dishonored clone".

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Time for some straight up legitimate stealth.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Hope it focuses on the right things. the middle shot looks suspiciously like he is about to jump down and punch some people to free the prisoner.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Hope it focuses on the right things. the middle shot looks suspiciously like he is about to jump down and punch some people to free the prisoner.

It looked to me like he was hiding from them. Casing a room then using a grapple hook or something to hide near the ceiling out of sight.

• Options

Ya, I had neglected to put that in the OP due to it having no gameplay and being so short.(plus i have no idea how to embed video)

• Options
    You only need to write the link. Just add the "http://" or "https://" at the beginning.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    We kind of all ready knew about this. They were calling it Thi4f which is retarded because the 4 generally stands for A when using numbers as letters. Hopefully they have wised up and realized that numbers as letters are stupid in principle, and this was doubly stupid since they weren't even using it right.

Thi4f is pronounced "Thee-Af"

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    It was even sillier with the "Thi4f" t-shirts Eidos Montreal had for sale on their site.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah the Thi4f thing was up some years ago, and they seemed to be pushing pretty heavily the idea of dropping garret for a new, female protagonist.

Thankfully that doesn't appear to be the case, although they have plenty of time to screw it up still.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    We kind of all ready knew about this. They were calling it Thi4f which is retarded because the 4 generally stands for A when using numbers as letters. Hopefully they have wised up and realized that numbers as letters are stupid in principle, and this was doubly stupid since they weren't even using it right.

Thi4f is pronounced "Thee-Af"

huh, I certainly had never heard about it. Looks like it was originally talked about back in 2009.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a female protagonist. But really, it doesn't matter as long as the stealth is good. I've played all 3 of the previous Thief games, and Garret just hasn't seemed like he's a staple of the series. He's a pretty generic dude and can be replaced easily.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    If you're playing it right no one even ever sees the protagonist!

Thi4f is beyond silly though.

At least F3AR got the replacement right.

I guess actually next they could be FE4R

Then FEA5.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind a female protagonist either, except for the fact that I love Garret's voice.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    @Vorpal Ir could be FEAR5 or F34R5.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    VizziniVizzini Unintelligible at any speed. Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    "So... this is the lost city. It's not lost no more"

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I own all 3 Thief games on Steam, though I haven't beaten or played past the first one. But damn if it's not a fascinating setting. And while I agree Garrett is written and voiced incredibly well, I'm always down for a new female protagonist.

Quick question: without getting too spoilery, does Garrett ever have a motivation for thievery other than really just liking money and getting off on taking other people's valuables without them knowing?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Never played a Thief game, but I understand the franchise was a major influence on Dishonored. Between that and the DX:HR crew (apparently) being the crew on this as well, I'm excited.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Quick question: without getting too spoilery, does Garrett ever have a motivation for thievery other than really just liking money and getting off on taking other people's valuables without them knowing?

I am not an expert on the game's lore, but as I understand it he does it because it's what he knows. One of the early missions in thief 2 was literally "go steal shit from warehouses to make rent".

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Was just coming to post about this too.

Pretty stoked about it.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    Few more screens I found:

3T0wboSh.jpg

44fyVCuh.jpg

KVru6eLh.jpg

wQF7hpsh.jpg

he2dIIWh.jpg

bLWNyCxh.jpg

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Few more screens I found:

he2dIIWh.jpg

Is that the Arc Reactor? Is Tony Stark the new protagonist?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    And this once again reminds me that I need to play through the first three at some point. I've played them all to various degrees, but got the furthest in the original. Something like the 6th or 7th mission. There were lizardmen or something.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Thi4f is pronounced "Thifourf"

Fixed.

Damn, I'm stoked. They really don't make game worlds like this one anymore... well, aside from Dishonored. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I wonder if they will try to emulate The Cradle.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So they've adopted the Oblivion lockpicking minigame?

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I'm assuming from the screenshots that they're with PC or next gen.

If the latter, this might be the game I buy a new console for...

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Ah, finally. I want this, give this to me.

I think all game studios should hold off on their announcements until they have something to show. We technically had this announced what seems like years ago, and then nothing until now. Made me doubt it's existence. Here's hoping they do this right.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Incredibly looking forward to this; Thief 2 is still among my handful of favorite games ever. The levels were far more expansive and riddled with secrets than anything I'd seen before (or since, for that matter). Pair that with excellent voice acting, a competent story, and some well-realized religious sects in the Hammers, Pagans, Keepers, and Mechanists, and you've got a winner in my books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUToO5h7QTI

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I'm assuming from the screenshots that they're with PC or next gen.

If the latter, this might be the game I buy a new console for...

Needs to be on the WiiU so the lockpicking can be done on the touchscreen while the main screen looks over your shoulder, ZombiU style.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I bought the collection for 6 bucks during a Steam sale a few days back on a total lark. Just gotta get off my ass and play through them eventually. Did the first level of the first game though. Took a while to wrangle the controls. This was clearly made back in the day before FPS controls eventually became "standardized". :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Oh my GAWD. I have played every thief ever made multiple times, I think I've actually physically melted the disks from the first thief from playing it so much, installing and uninstalling (I actually rendered them unplayable). I've played Deadly Shadows so much I can do all the levels with my eyes closed...Thief is my go-to game whenever there's sad times, because I'm instantly overjoyed and happy.

This is, by far, the most excitement-worthy game for me, and that's saying something considering I was sweating balls in anticipation of Diablo 3!

My absolute only hope is they let me be a darn thief in this game like the others. I've always done each mission with 100% completion, no kills, minimal knock-outs and minimal turning out the lights. I want to have that in this game too. Just let me steal shit.

Okay, I need to go lay down for a while.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    The heart of Thief -- besides the fantastic setting -- is that moment when you're about to leave, and you spot a single chalice on the other side of the room, probably worth about 25 gold. And for a moment, you're torn between your greed and your caution.
    And then you remember you've already knocked out all the guards in this section of the house, so you walk right in front of the blazing fireplace to pick up the trinket.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    ...you walk into light?

Maaaaan, there's this little anal part of me where I don't care if everybody is knocked out or dead, I will STILL stealth and stay in the shadows, my stress level just skyrockets whenever I see my light gem light up even if there is no immediate danger. I've been trained well by Garrett.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    ...you walk into light?

Maaaaan, there's this little anal part of me where I don't care if everybody is knocked out or dead, I will STILL stealth and stay in the shadows, my stress level just skyrockets whenever I see my light gem light up even if there is no immediate danger. I've been trained well by Garrett.

Oh man this does remind me of that part
    in the Cradle where you turn on the generators and suddenly it's like BLINDING LIGHT AND DEAFENING CRASHES HAPPENING FOREVER AND THERE'S NOWHERE TO HIDE IN THIS ROOM.

Single most panic-inducing moment in the game.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg