As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Francisco

TrinzlerTrinzler Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm heading to San Francisco at the end of the month for a 6 days, I'll have my own vehicle and am staying close to fishermans wharf. I've googled previous SF travel threads so I've gotten all the touresty stuff locked down.

Can someone suggest some good game stores and arcades to head too ? Also any suggestions, tips and tricks would be appreciated

Trinzler on

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    While not an arcade in the modern sense, I've been to museemechanique.org (WARNING: turn down volume) twice and it's pretty awesome.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    As far as I know, Gamescape on Divisadero is the game store to beat (if you're talking non-electronic games).

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Geth has the right idea, Gamescape had an amazing selection the last time I was there for tabletop stuff. For actual arcades... I really can't recall any, but it's been a while since I've been back. the Musee Mechanique that downer mentioned has a bunch of antique machines that cost a nickel or a dime to play, as well as more modern ones. Should be very conveniently located for you if you're staying near the Wharf.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    If you've never been to a Fry's before, you've got to go to Fry's at least once. It's the biggest electronics store you'll find, outside of Asia.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda if you're into pinball.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Fry's is amazing and pretty much a one-of-a-kind experience. They mostly only exist in California and they are awesome. I think a friend of the family has said Microcenter is sort of similar, but I don't know how the scale compares to Fry's because holy god Fry's stores are massive from the ones I've seen. And their prices are good too!

• Options
    TrinzlerTrinzler Registered User regular
    Thanks for the heeding the call guys, I'll definately check out those places.

Any suggestions on where I can find good condition GBA games ? Also brownie points if anyone can locate one of these bad boys in San Francisco:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8263

I will actually paypal someone cash if they know where I can find one.

• Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    There are a couple of places you can find good GBA games in the greater bay area but in SF proper you're basically stuck with Gamestop. There's a great gaming store down in San Jose called Game World that has pretty much everything, but unless you have some other burning desire to drive down here I wouldn't recommend it. It's a 2 hour round trip and there isn't a whole lot to do down here.

Same goes for the Frys actually, there isn't one in the city. They exist outside of the city but again, you kinda have to drive to get to them.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    downer wrote: »
    While not an arcade in the modern sense, I've been to museemechanique.org (WARNING: turn down volume) twice and it's pretty awesome.

Yesssssss!

I haven't been since it was moved from the Cliff House ages ago, but oh man that place was so cool. All kinds of awesome, old-timey stuff. Laffing Sal alone was probably responsible for giving untold children nightmares. Haven't been to the new location, but I'm sure it's just as cool.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    not gaming, but if you are even remotely interested in music, go to Amoeba music. If Fry's is impressive, then Amoeba is down right overwhelming

http://www.amoeba.com/our-stores/index.html

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil