As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vikings] Season 3. More raiding, more looting, more... farming?

124»

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I really like how they depict combat and stuff.

I mean, fight's weren't between 1000 guys on each side, it really was like 30-50 dudes, because that's all the male's these societies could sacrifice before they couldn't function anymore.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Yay Floki!

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Yay Floki, indeed.

Finale discussion:
    I'm really pleased that it went down like that, rather than an actual betrayal. I was pretty confident they weren't going to actually kill off Ragnar or his family, but I wasn't sure they'd all survive.

Overall, I was quite happy with this season, the show continues to be very enjoyable. It's also nice knowing season 3 is already greenlit, so we'll have more viking awesomeness next year.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    My take on the season finale:
    Michael Hirst just trolled our expectations hard. We were all expecting a Red Wedding, and instead we got our obviously telegraphed expectations turned on our heads. I loooooooooves it.

• Options
    Season 2 has been fantastic I thought, it keeps getting better and that's just wonderful. Everybody that I have turned on to this show has loved it. I hope it remains popular enough to tell all of Ragnar's story and maybe if we are lucky his sons too.

BIG finale spoiler
    I really can't express the joy and relief I felt when Floki told Bjorn that he had been looking after him, as he promised his father, after that creepy scene in the field with Bjorn's ex-slave girlfriend. At that moment it all became clear, and the last 15 mins were so very satisfying. I always liked Floki's crazy somewhat evil ass, and I'm so very glad that I don't have to hate him. Especially after thinking he was dead at the start of the season!

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Finale spoilers
    I thought Bjorn was going to die up until he was given the name Ironside. Never had any doubt about the other sons surviving since Snake in the Eye and The Boneless are in Crusader Kings 2. I wouldn't expect them to go away from history as far as those 3 characters are concerned so there is no way they die.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Christ, that last shot was one of the most metal things I've ever seen on TV. The finale itself was so-so
    mainly from bad direction, it was like Floki knew an audience was watching and was trying to fool them too instead of just Horik. Took me out of it completely.
    .. But it was all worth it for that ending.

Bubby on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Finale question:
    What exactly did those mushrooms do? Made Beorn's friend sick and simulate death? Or was that all just the character acting for Horic? And was it the same or different mushrooms that seemed to heal or at least temporarily strengthen Rollo?

Great season, frightenly fun finale, can't wait for next season!

• Options
    Finale question:
    What exactly did those mushrooms do? Made Beorn's friend sick and simulate death? Or was that all just the character acting for Horic? And was it the same or different mushrooms that seemed to heal or at least temporarily strengthen Rollo?

There are theories that viking berserkers used hallucinogenic mushrooms to achieve that "feel no fear or pain" state in battle. I can see Floki giving that to an injured Rollo so he can defend himself in the coming attack. It sure looked like he gave those same mushrooms to whatshisface to cause sickness and near death state, but I'm not sure that makes sense. Maybe Floki just gave him a different kind of mushroom. Works for me.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking exactly. Episode is getting better the longer I think about it.

Gonna be a long wait for season 3.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    These seasons are too short. I want more episodes! Anyone else having trouble keeping up with the time jumps? I can't tell if it's suppose to be the next day or next year half the time.
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Finale question:

There are theories that viking berserkers used hallucinogenic mushrooms to achieve that "feel no fear or pain" state in battle. I can see Floki giving that to an injured Rollo so he can defend himself in the coming attack. It sure looked like he gave those same mushrooms to whatshisface to cause sickness and near death state, but I'm not sure that makes sense. Maybe Floki just gave him a different kind of mushroom. Works for me.
    Ooh, it all makes sense now. I thought Floki was just
    testing the proper dose of the death faking poison on Rollo. Because fuck Rollo.
    But that makes much more sense.

Has it been confirmed there is another season? If there is I hope we will see more of Lagertha. I <3 shield-maiden action.

Siska on
  • Options
    Yup, google tells me they were already renewed for a third season of ten episodes.

• Options
    Some info on Season 3 in this interview, spoilers, obviously

time.com/82983/vikings-season-2-finale/

I find the time jumps to be a little odd sometimes, but it makes sense seeing as how you can't sail from Norway to England in just a couple days and they travel back and forth several times a season it seems. Plus it takes time to build all those ships and heal all those injuries in between raids too. I was pretty happy about the big jump between Season 1 & 2 though, adult Bjorn is way more awesome than kid Bjorn.

• Options
    Yeah, if they had stayed with that kid Beorn for much longer, I'm not sure if I would have been able to handle it. I was always so distracted by his terrible acting.

All other cast members have been amazing though. Every single one!

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    This thread is not dead yet!

I missed the season 3 premiere and will catch it tomorrow. Without any spoilers,

WAS IT AWESOME!?

oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    AAahhh! It's back?!
    You can still watch the episodes online, if you are like me and suck at remembering TV schedules. http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

Siska on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I do like how they use a lot of Wardruna for music in the background in this show.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    This thread wasn't dead, it was just waiting for the sea to thaw and the raids to begin once again. I liked the season premiere..
    nothing shocking since there wasn't any big cliffhanger from last season, the battle at the end was fun. I don't know why the stupid English would split their forces like that. What did they think would happen??

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Xantomas wrote: »
    This thread wasn't dead, it was just waiting for the sea to thaw and the raids to begin once again. I liked the season premiere..
    nothing shocking since there wasn't any big cliffhanger from last season, the battle at the end was fun. I don't know why the stupid English would split their forces like that. What did they think would happen??

Military geniuses, most characters in this show are not. I haven't actually seen the premiere, but on the basis of the past seasons.

Edit: Not a huge fan of some Saxon troops having helmets that are very reminiscent of burgonets. Kinda early by nearly a millennium.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Also, Floki remains the best.

• Options
    I like how they don't spelling out out to the viewers what peoples motives and goals are. Almost anyone can pull a fast one at any moment. And when they do things are not necessarily what they seem.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Premiere was good. Those Wessex troops that split up along the river were monumentally stupid, and Lagertha continues to be the hottest woman on TV.