As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Then you'll be teaching Willie! [School]

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I have to take an online course about hookup culture as part of my new student orientation oh my goooooood this is the most hilariously terrible thing ever

also I'm totally skewing your statistics because I'm 31 and married! guess how many times I've drank alcohol? as many as I want because I'm thirty one goddamn years old

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Dammit I am so confused... financial aid is weird. I am unable to apply for a student loan for this semester for some reason and it's driving me nuts! And of course the financial aid office is closed at 9 am on a weekday, sheesh.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    signed up for the school's PALs program so I can practice Mandarin with a native speaker

oh god it will be awful

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I have a sad.

For my speech class an assignment was to ask to questions on the duscussion board to analyze your audience for an informative speech you will do. Since I decided on Dinosaurs for my topic, I asked questions to narrow down exactly what about Dinosaurs to focus on, based on what my classmates will understand. Basically to determine whether to talk about "post-cranial skeletal pnuemacity in theropods" versus "T-rex had hollow bones."

But I live in the South, so to get a feel for my audiance one of the questions I asked was, "Do you accept the theory of evolution? Why or why not?"

Every response so far has been a variation of: No, if we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

:bigfrown:

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I have a sad.

For my speech class an assignment was to ask to questions on the duscussion board to analyze your audience for an informative speech you will do. Since I decided on Dinosaurs for my topic, I asked questions to narrow down exactly what about Dinosaurs to focus on, based on what my classmates will understand. Basically to determine whether to talk about "post-cranial skeletal pnuemacity in theropods" versus "T-rex had hollow bones."

But I live in the South, so to get a feel for my audiance one of the questions I asked was, "Do you accept the theory of evolution? Why or why not?"

Every response so far has been a variation of: No, if we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

:bigfrown:

Well... now you have a new topic? :?

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    So maybe this professor's not insecure. Maybe she's just very! fucking! enthusiastic! about everything, including her degrees.

It's good to know someone's excited about me having completed the "how not to plagiarize" quiz, I guess.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure why professors feel the need to tell their students not to eat in class. For one I have 7 1/2 consecutive hours of class so I will eat if I need to and two when you make a big deal out of not wanting food in your class it just makes me want to bring in as much food as possible

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    I'm not sure why professors feel the need to tell their students not to eat in class. For one I have 7 1/2 consecutive hours of class so I will eat if I need to and two when you make a big deal out of not wanting food in your class it just makes me want to bring in as much food as possible

Because too many people have abused the privilege and fucked it up for everyone else. I've seen people bring in huge take out smelling meals and eat them loudly, or even just extra noisy snacks. They probably started out allowing it and after attempting to modify the policy just went "fuck it, nobody is getting food in this class."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    fuck you if you take in aluminum bags of chips and cookies and shit to class and open them

it makes me want to murder you

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    In my Arabic class last semester some of the native speaking students would just get up and leave during class and come back like 20 minutes later with a bag of hot cheetos

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    As somebody who regularly eats in class (because I'm hypoglycemic) I don't get what all the hate is for prepackaged food bags. You can eat chips quietly if you try hard enough. Getting anything out of a paper bag without making noise is almost impossible. The same goes for plastic Tupperware.

Out of all the containers I've used, I'd have to say that the absolute quietest is either a chip bag (opened prior to class) or glass Tupperware.

And I'm not lugging glass Tupperware four miles to class and back when I'm already hauling several textbooks and my laptop. That'd be ridiculous.

Creagan on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    What kind of plastic Tupperware are you using that is so noisy

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    As somebody who regularly eats in class (because I'm hypoglycemic) I don't get what all the hate is for prepackaged food bags. You can eat chips quietly if you try hard enough. Getting anything out of a paper bag without making noise is almost impossible. The same goes for plastic Tupperware.

Out of all the containers I've used, I'd have to say that the absolute quietest is either a chip bag (opened prior to class) or glass Tupperware.

And I'm not lugging glass Tupperware four miles to class and back when I'm already hauling several textbooks and my laptop. That'd be ridiculous.

You should consider not opening your plastic tupperware with a chainsaw

• Options
    It's just Ziplock. You grab a tap and pull it to get the lid off. The rectangular ones I'd use make about three or four really loud popping noises, followed by a louder snapping noise as you remove the lid.

So if for whatever reason I need to get food after class has started (which can happen if a professor unexpectedly talks for an hour longer than he's supposed to,) plastic Tupperware is basically guaranteed to completely distract the entire class. Especially because people are way more likely to stare at you if you're eating something out of a Tupperware container than if you're just quietly eating prepackaged food.

Don't get me wrong- I try to be discreet and I definitely minimize noise as much as possible. If I'm hungry, I try to open my food before class starts. I don't eat stuff that I know is messy or smelly. I pick up after myself. If I have extra food with me, and you're hungry, I'll share if you ask for a bite.

• Options
    thing is: people do not try to be quiet when opening their shit

they just do it and arrrggghhh

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    So for an in class exercise today, we were told to go look at specific sections of the stacks to evaluate the condition of materials and the shelves they were on. In my case that was folios, and one that I saw was about four feet long, eighteen or so wide and an inch and a half thick. I could barely lift the damn thing.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I have 7 1/2 straight hours of class with only 15m in between and everyone acts like this is some kind of crazy feat

I always want to be like 'no see this is just the only way I can keep myself motivated to come to class because even an hour break will enable me to justify fuckin off for the rest of the day'

• Options
    I'm either exactly the same way, or the complete opposite of that. It depends on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling.

Most of the time, I need a significant break every two hours. Otherwise my brain just crashes, I struggle to maintain my focus, and then suddenly it's 30 minutes later and I haven't heard a single word my prof has said because I've been daydreaming about dragon body language.

But occasionally I'll get super focused on something. And then I'm like you- I can't take any significant breaks because otherwise I'll lose it and just be done for the rest of the day. Sometimes two days. That's why even though I can force myself into that feeling, I usually just reserve it for paper writing and finals week. It's too exhausting.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    having partially overlapped classes sucks

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Even though we got hella snow and all the other colleges in the area are closed, my school doesn't have a large commuter population so they didn't bother to cancel classes today despite the storm warnings and over a foot of snow forecast for the next 12 hours and etc (we already have probably close to a foot of new snow). One of my professors emailed his class to let us know that the unofficial official word from the college is that they aren't going to cancel classes, they'll just let individual professors decide to cancel classes so that it isn't technically a school closure. The fuck is that all about

• Options
    So apparently my school has an anime club... and I am tempted to go, if only out of curiosity. Should I go? Yes/Hell Yes?

• Options
    Just tell everyone about how much you love attack on titan

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options

But... I do like it! What, is AoT too popular for "true otaku" now or something?

• Options
    anime is for jerks

in other news I feel like I'm getting burned out on school. I don't think I want to go to graduate school to study history, either asian history or economic history, and at this point I kind of just want to work and make money.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    attack on titan is the worst

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options

But... I do like it! What, is AoT too popular for "true otaku" now or something?

That is precisely it

People who are Hella into anime are super dismissive of AoT and get annoyed that people like it so much cuz it's kinda drivel (highly entertaining and superbly animated all the same) and it's most people's "favorite" anime and they can't stand that

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    uhoh

also im watching hunter x hunter and its getting better

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    So apparently my school has an anime club... and I am tempted to go, if only out of curiosity. Should I go? Yes/Hell Yes?

Anime clubs are very hit or miss. Mostly miss.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    uhoh

also im watching hunter x hunter and its getting better

it keeps getting better and doesn't stop tbh

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Back to back double headers of grad classes is fucking miserable.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I've got my first midterm coming up. So of course THIS was the week my dad decided to cause a bunch of massive problems at home. We'll see what happens though. The test is Thursday, not Tuesday like I believe he thinks. And if I bomb it, my prof. will just count my score on the final. So I may not be completely screwed.

• Options
    Oof.

Performance this wednesday in class. The software I was writing for it ran into the problem all my software runs into: Max/MSP is stupid and letting myself be talked into integrating with Max because "It's good for music stuff" inevitably leads to my downfall. So instead I've had to come up with a new performance. It can be a pretty basic performance, but still.

Also I had forgotten that it was this Tursday that I have a presentation.

And next week is "Reading break", except that it's also tech week for the play I'm doing the sound design for, so setting up the board and routing for the operator, as well as running the sound for rehearsals, is basically going to torch that week to the ground. And then I have another presentation the week after. And a performance the week after.

Luckily, after that it's one week of rehearsals where I'll be phasing myself out of control, and then on to heavy work but, like, zero in-class time. Two more performances for one class, one big project for one class, and a piece to finish for one class and that's it.

• Options
    god bless khan academy and wolfram alpha pro amen

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Frustrated because my two credit hours of swim class of all things had to be dropped because the professor is having us do peer grading instead of actually grading anything ourselves, doesn't teach, and then today was like 'look the roads aren't THAT bad probably, you could get here, so this is an unexcused absence and you only get one'

• Options
    This week is Reading break. No classes! Time to catch up!

Oh what's that? We're starting to move into the performance space for the show? Oh and because we have no classes we just rehearse 8 hours a day?

Oh and next week is going to be moving to some 12 hour days?
    Good break.

Just gotta keep looking at my calendar and seeing that big, bright, totally open day on the 25th(though really, I'll be going to opening night, so my first actually open day is the 27th, but the 25th is just evening, 26th is just afternoon, and 27th is just morning.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh hey this is the school thread

MY FAMILY LAW TEACHER IS SO BORING OH MY GOD

I MEAN I GET THAT FAMILY LAW IS NOT THE MOST INTERESTING SUBJECT BUT HOLY GOD THIS MAN MUMBLES AND STUTTERS AND LOSES TRACK OF WHAT HE IS SAYING EVERY FEW MINUTES

HE JUST SPENT AN HOUR TRYING TO EXPLAIN A MATH FORMULA

ONE

MATH

FORMULA

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    People skills and academia do not necessarily intersect.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah I mean I've had a few bad teachers

but goddamn man

this guy is just kryptonite for my attention span

and I actually really like the law classes I've been taking! It's not the subject matter, this guy is just painfully boring!

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I love my internship, but 8 hours of it a day starting at 7 am is really annoying when you also have to re-learn half a semester's worth of material in six days, because there's a test on Friday.