As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Transistor] Sci-fi RPG from Supergiant Games, out now on PC/PS4!

• MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    I'm slightly disappointed that initial gameplay footage looks so much like Bastion. Don't get me wrong, Bastion was fantastic, but I played it a lot. It'll be a tough act to follow, especially with more of the same.

What was that bit in the lyrics? "...before we all become one." Kidnapped people being fed to a networked brain entity sounds like an interesting premise.

Agreed. It does look like bastion, but in the future. Even one of the enemies in the trailer looked just like the scumbags (spelling?) from bastion.

But at the same time i really loved bastion, so bastion 2 or even bastion 1.5 would hardly be a bad thing!

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So Jeff mentioned on the bombcast this week that the game does not play like Bastion. "You stop and plot." was his way of describing it.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Will hospitals but you in a medically induced coma if your reason is "because transistor 2014!"?

Just curious.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    So Jeff mentioned on the bombcast this week that the game does not play like Bastion. "You stop and plot." was his way of describing it.

Yeah I was going to mention that just from the trailer you can see:

1) grid dots, likely an active pause system

2) no weapon switching

3) no dodge roll

I think it's safe to say that Red is more of a tactical character.

Also I actually don't care when the games released, they can have all the time in the world to make it perfect. Just please give me the sound track now, please D:

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    breakbeats

red hair

big s0rd

pensi

obF2Wuw.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It's hard to tell from the trailer, but it's possible that enemies only move when you're moving, kinda like Valkyrie Profile 2. That could be really cool.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I actually wouldn't mind at all if Transistor was just more Bastion gameplay with a cleaner artstyle and no narration. But if they want to do something different with the gameplay, that's cool too. I'm not hard to please.

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Definitely trying to check this out at PAX East...looks and sounds fabulous. Everything I'd expect from the Bastion creators.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    This looks excellent.

• XenoZergieXenoZergie Registered User regular
    This looks fantastic and it's good to see that the Monado is getting work between Monolith Soft games.

edited March 2013
    Dirty wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't mind at all if Transistor was just more Bastion gameplay with a cleaner artstyle and no narration. But if they want to do something different with the gameplay, that's cool too. I'm not hard to please.

I think we can safely assume that, having nailed the presentation, and technical aspects, that Transistor won't be less good than Bastion in those areas. So assuming a solid engine, two things about Bastion specifically that I liked and hope come along for the ride are

A) a variety of weapons, all with different mechanics, and ALL actually viable for primary use
    B) a level up system that was absolutely NOT based on just picking the 'best' stat for your build

Delzhand on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I have no problem waiting for this game. It can come out in 2015 for all I care, as long as it's as polished as Bastion.

With all the people playing this at PAX, hopefully we'll have some new info soon!

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Joystiq's preview of it is about how it's not like Bastion, yeah. It's turnbased.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Isometric turn based tactical combat with this aesthetic sounds pretty rad.

Scosglen on
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/transistor-preview-a-beautiful-tactical-twist-on-action-rpg/

It almost sounds like Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's combat system, which is fucking fantastic.

Also, Logan Cunningham is the voice of the sword Transistor, so it looks like the 'narrator' feature will continue in some capacity.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/transistor-preview-a-beautiful-tactical-twist-on-action-rpg/

It almost sounds like Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's combat system, which is fucking fantastic.

Also, Logan Cunningham is the voice of the sword Transistor, so it looks like the 'narrator' feature will continue in some capacity.

Apparently he's using a very different voice/tone than Rucks did though, which excites me

god this game

why isn't it on my computer already

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    A talking sword with a southern drawl would still excite me

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd classify Rucks as a "southern drawl".

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    I am bad at describing voices

I can't stop watching that trailer. The music, the art, the game...

I can't wait a year for this!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Wait, people didn't like Bastion's narration?

I didn't think that was possible. How have they not been struck down by the gods for blasphemy?

shryke wrote: »

I didn't think that was possible. How have they not been struck down by the gods for blasphemy?

There are people in this very thread

steam_sig.png

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

There are people in this very thread

I know. I wouldn't even have known they existed if not for this thread. This place is like a hole into madness.

• MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Diffrent strokes for different folks! I find myself coming face-to-face with holding the "wrong" opinion very often. I'm going to still get this game. I found the narration of Bastion very annoying, but I appreciate that they were trying something new and am willing to see what else they can do with those creative brains they got.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I would like to have sex with SuperGiant's art director.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

http://jenzee.deviantart.com/

Are you saying you enjoy her work, or are you being a creep? Cause she's the only girl on that staff, I think.

steam_sig.png

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    He's clearly talking about her talent as an artist. Bastion is nothing without its presentation.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular

Are you saying you enjoy her work, or are you being a creep? Cause she's the only girl on that staff, I think.

Judging from the quality of the art in their games, I'd put money in the former.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Turn based?!

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I like how they make it a point that she is a singer and is mute because her voice has been stolen.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    A brief sample of Logan's voice. Still sounds like him, but without the gravelly, older sounding tone that gave Rucks his distinctive sound:

Corpekata wrote: »
    Turn based?!

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26175898/#Comment_26175898

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Man, Transistor looks incredible.The art and music are, unsurprisingly, amazing and the gameplay looks like it could be really interesting. Also, I think that's the closest I've seen to TB becoming a fanboy in one of these WTFs with a dev co-commentating.

TB is a huge Bastion fan, which makes him ok in my book.

If Transistor turns out even *close* to being as good as Bastion, Supergiant Games may find themselves in the position of being my favorite all time Dev team.

APODionysus on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Reminds me a little bit of the plan and go of Frozen Synapse more than a traditional straight up turn based game.

I am very very excited about this.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Jesus, apparently the play line for the demo at PAX was three hours long!

I am actually not surprised and more like... that's the kind of line you normally get at an AAA game, not an indie-thingy.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    And the indies shall inherit the world.

Not surprising really when such a large proportion of AAA titles are safe, risk-free shooters or action games. They have their place, but it's become such that having played one feels like having played them all. In my experience the breadth of innovation in designing fun games can only really be found in smaller studios with less investor capital riding on their sales.